Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

It's like something from Tails Gets Trolled.

Now there's a comic ripe for a big budget adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

A couple of the Netflix shows had a good season or two.

I really liked Jessica Jones season 1, never watched more because I felt that anything beyond that would cheapen the season.

I also thought that Daredevil season 1 was pretty good but not as great as everyone says, season 2 was a dip but still had some pretty good parts, but not enough for me to come back for season 3.

First half of Luke Cage s1 was also really fun, but never finished after a certain point.

In all cases, the shows would have benefited a lot by not having any of the even tangential references to the MCU they had.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I really liked Jessica Jones season 1, never watched more because I felt that anything beyond that would cheapen the season.

I also thought that Daredevil season 1 was pretty good but not as great as everyone says, season 2 was a dip but still had some pretty good parts, but not enough for me to come back for season 3.

First half of Luke Cage s1 was also really fun, but never finished after a certain point.

In all cases, the shows would have benefited a lot by not having any of the even tangential references to the MCU they had.

Also from being about 5 episodes shorter. There simply isn't enough plot in each season for the amount of footage they have.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

teagone posted:

I don't think I'll ever not laugh every time I watch this whenever it gets posted, lmao.

Everyone always laughs about the "WHYYYY", but Medusa's absolutely terrible line reading is the best part. You can't convince me that was said by an actual human and not some kind of AI.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Every MCU Netflix show needed to be 2-4 hours shorter and yes I am exactly thinking of Punisher and to a greater extent: Luke Cage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Everyone always laughs about the "WHYYYY", but Medusa's absolutely terrible line reading is the best part. You can't convince me that was said by an actual human and not some kind of AI.

You'd be amazed what bad direction can do.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

well why not posted:

Every MCU Netflix show needed to be 2-4 hours shorter and yes I am exactly thinking of Punisher and to a greater extent: Luke Cage.

Luke Cage was a better secondary character in Jessica Jones than a main character in his own series. Getting ~4 episodes of Mahershala Ali was not worth suffering through the rest.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/EntInsider/status/1356104824106979328?s=19

I wonder how much input the directors have in these previz shots. Making a film 2 thirds in previz seems kinda nuts at first glance

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha. The new episode of Wandavision has Evan Peters playing Pietro, with Darcy even remarking that Wanda "recast" her brother.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

Luke Cage was a better secondary character in Jessica Jones than a main character in his own series. Getting ~4 episodes of Mahershala Ali was not worth suffering through the rest.

Yeah, the stuff with Ali was cool, but the show just ... kept going after he died, with a way worse, more cartoonish villain . It would've been better as 6 episodes with just Ali. It probably could've been a cool b-plot inside of Jessica Jones, too.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Agent Rush posted:

:staredog:

For real? I never saw any of the MCU tv shows, were they all this terrible?

Inhumans was pretty outstanding in how bad it was (though Iron Fist was always pretty bad). The Netflix shows have already been talked about but Agents of Shield is really good. The first part of the Season 1 is kind of slow but the show gets better and the first part is better in context of stuff you learn later.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I was shocked to learn that the Blade reboot didn't even have a loving writer until this week? I thought for sure the production was a little further along... maybe not filming but at least a script.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

https://twitter.com/EntInsider/status/1356104824106979328?s=19

I wonder how much input the directors have in these previz shots. Making a film 2 thirds in previz seems kinda nuts at first glance

It's basically the same as storyboarding a movie, except you actually get to see how the shots look in motion. Some directors spend a lot of time working with previz and want the final shots to match really closely, while others aren't as invested in it and just use it as a general guide for what the shot should be like and spend more time finding the shot later on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly all this planning makes it all the more lol that the Star Wars sequels ended up such a massive contradictory mess clearly motivated by blind panic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Firstborn posted:

I was shocked to learn that the Blade reboot didn't even have a loving writer until this week? I thought for sure the production was a little further along... maybe not filming but at least a script.

Indiana Jones 5 is supposed to start shooting this spring and still doesn't have a writer attached.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Chairman Capone posted:

Indiana Jones 5 is supposed to start shooting this spring and still doesn't have a writer attached.

Harrison Ford is also pushing 80 and the elephant in the room is if Disney ever wants to make Indiana Jones 5 they have to recast (as dirty as that word is with Indy fans).

Disney is best to just kill this project and figure something else out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought they were already making Indy 5 with the guy who directed Logan?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
After the thing with WandaVision this week I've been watching the X-Men films again and I'm kind of at a crossroads because of Logan. Does that exist in the X-Men universe before the days of future past retcon or after it? I'm assuming it's after but want to be sure. Also, just gotta say, X-Men Origins Wolverine: What. A. Film. Simply amazing. I'd never seen the actual finished version until today and just, wow.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lastdancer posted:

After the thing with WandaVision this week I've been watching the X-Men films again and I'm kind of at a crossroads because of Logan. Does that exist in the X-Men universe before the days of future past retcon or after it? I'm assuming it's after but want to be sure. Also, just gotta say, X-Men Origins Wolverine: What. A. Film. Simply amazing. I'd never seen the actual finished version until today and just, wow.

It can't be before. IIRC the director says it's kind of in it's own timeline. It could still fit in the good ending timeline of DoFP.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lastdancer posted:

I was about to say Logan has to be set after the retcon, because Professor X is alive, but then I remembered he was alive at the beginning of DOFP, so I have no idea.

How he was alive was never really explained, was it?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I was about to say Logan has to be set after the retcon, because Professor X is alive, but then I remembered he was alive at the beginning of DOFP, so I have no idea.

It can't be before DoFP because the bad future in that occurs a few years before the Logan future. In DoFP the future scenes are in 2023. Logan is set in 2029.

thrawn527 posted:

Prof X is alive due to the post credits scene in X3. He transfered his mind into a body that didn't have one. (and somehow looks the same.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvnp5KJ7F_s

They never explained how Logan got metal claws back after the Wolverine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

It can't be before DoFP because the bad future in that occurs a few years before the Logan future. In DoFP the future scenes are in 2023. Logan is set in 2029.

Prof X is alive due to the post credits scene in X3. He transfered his mind into a body that didn't have one. (and somehow looks the same.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvnp5KJ7F_s

They never explained how Logan got metal claws back after the Wolverine.

The “somehow looks the same” is a big leap I’m having trouble making.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Plastic surgery?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

quote:

I'm Professor X, and you are too... No... He's the two of us. Together. Where we are today? We built it. This story - this "legend" - it's ours. We can change the world - and with it, the future. I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you, wherever you go. Thank you... my friend. From here on out, you're Professor X.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe he uses his powers like to make everyone see him as his old self. Jean used her powers to make a whole bar think she was an old man in Dark Phoenix.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw the first Batman in the theater when I was 18 but since then I think I’ve only seen Doctor Strange, even though I hear a lot of talk about comic book movies on nerdy podcasts.

My gf and I are now going through the MCU movies in timeline order, we just saw Captain America and Captain Marvel. I’d like to follow up each movie by reading up on it a little, are there any especially good reviewers or sites I should check out?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lastdancer posted:

The way I see it is the "Bad 2023" (where Sentinels have taken over the planet) never happened because of what Wolverine did in 1973. The future that Wolverine visits as a result at the end of DOTF where Jean Grey, Cyclops and the rest are alive is the "Good 2023" that takes place before Logan.

Now, what's kind of messed-up and dark is that means if Logan is canon then things went to hell in a hurry. It's something that not a lot of people talk about when speaking warmly of DOFP in that Logan dashed the gently caress out of it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Snowy posted:

I saw the first Batman in the theater when I was 18 but since then I think I’ve only seen Doctor Strange, even though I hear a lot of talk about comic book movies on nerdy podcasts.

My gf and I are now going through the MCU movies in timeline order, we just saw Captain America and Captain Marvel. I’d like to follow up each movie by reading up on it a little, are there any especially good reviewers or sites I should check out?

If read can include “listen”, the Binge Mode podcast has nearly completed a run on all the MCU movies, they’ve just got Endgame and Far From Home to do at this point, which should drop in the next two weeks.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

The way I see it is the "Bad 2023" (where Sentinels have taken over the planet) never happened because of what Wolverine did in 1973. The future that Wolverine visits as a result at the end of DOTF where Jean Grey, Cyclops and the rest are alive is the "Good 2023" that takes place before Logan.

Now, what's kind of messed-up and dark is that means if Logan is canon then things went to hell in a hurry. It's something that not a lot of people talk about when speaking warmly of DOFP in that Logan dashed the gently caress out of it.

Yeah that makes sense and ultimately watching DoFP now after The Wolverine and before Logan. It's been a while since I've watched all of these movies so it started to get confusing after what happened in The Last Stand. Thanks everyone.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Klungar posted:

If read can include “listen”, the Binge Mode podcast has nearly completed a run on all the MCU movies, they’ve just got Endgame and Far From Home to do at this point, which should drop in the next two weeks.

Oh hell yeah that’s even better, thanks :)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

It's supposed to be his never-before-mentioned twin brother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Logan is basically an Elseworlds like Old Man Logan in movie form, I figured.

And of course, who knows what happened now that Deadpool got a time machine and started playing merry hell with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Here's how I think it goes:
X-Men Origins - Xmen 1,2,3 - The Wolverine - DoFP

DoFP directly follows The Wolverine's end credits scene so that's one Continuity down. We can throw X-Men: Origins in there if we want, along with Xmen 1-3. The end of DoFP overwrites Jean dying in X2 and the Phoenix event in X3.

Wolverine travels back in DoFP and that creates an echo in the timestream that establishes the First Class continuity.

Then we have:
First Class - DoFP (70s Wolverine) - Apocalypse - Dark Phoenix - Deadpool - Logan

For the sake of not being a bummer, I'm going to assume that the Restored/Good Ending of DoFP proceeds and is unseen to us so it's possible that doesn't end in horrible genocide.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 7, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

My impression considering the line "You do know they're all bullshit, right? Maybe a quarter of it happened, and not like this. " is that the canonicity of Logan is intentionally ambiguous so that the audience is invited to kind of create their own canon from the mess of stories in the films and otherwise. Maybe the events of certain films happened, or maybe they didn't, or maybe they happened in a different way but the point is that there was a more optimistic past that is now somewhat in tatters, leaving Logan with a fairly bleak perception of his place in the world and the nature of heroism etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Things like the recap of the well known disaster at the Xavier Institute that's cut off just as they're about to say who died/how many are pretty clearly signalling that they're deliberately vague about how things went down, since that's not important to the story.

Also of course they have actively contradictory versions of Deadpool and Juggernaut among others, so the rule is basically 'Only the good movies are canon'.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Klungar posted:

Just tried to listen to this and turned it off the fifth time someone screamed, which was approximately two minutes into the first episode (the Iron Man podcast)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

Here's how I think it goes:
X-Men Origins - Xmen 1,2,3 - The Wolverine - DoFP

DoFP directly follows The Wolverine's end credits scene so that's one Continuity down. We can throw X-Men: Origins in there if we want, along with Xmen 1-3. The end of DoFP overwrites Jean dying in X2 and the Phoenix event in X3.

Wolverine travels back in DoFP and that creates an echo in the timestream that establishes the First Class continuity.

Then we have:
First Class - DoFP (70s Wolverine) - Apocalypse - Dark Phoenix - Deadpool - Logan

For the sake of not being a bummer, I'm going to assume that the Restored/Good Ending of DoFP proceeds and is unseen to us so it's possible that doesn't end in horrible genocide.

Nah. The Fox X-Universe (Deadpool aside) is depressing as balls. It definitely ends in horrible genocide. Then after the mutants are all gone, aliens roll up to Earth, take it over (since no super-people exist) and put the populace into camps for use as food/sex toys. The End.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Robot Style posted:

Specifically, the movie originally had a scene of him talking with Jean about how as an unborn baby his powers were so strong they caused his twin brother to be born effectively braindead (think about how in Logan he can cause people to straight up have strokes or die when he has a bad moment). His parents, being rich as gently caress, paid to have their son taken care of in a hospital and allowed to grow up relatively healthy because the doctor's couldn't work out why he was only doing basic bodily functions with no higher brain functions.

When Xavier dies in X3 his mind is transferred to the empty shell of his twin brother he left without any mind of his own pre-birth. Yes it's ridiculously brutal.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone posted:

take it over (since no super-people exist) and put the populace into camps for use as food/sex toys. The End.

Where do I sign up???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

I mean, didn't we see the guy and he was a big, burly guy with a beard? (I may be wrong, it's been years since I've seen X3.)

Ultimately it doesn't matter, it's just always been funny that they're like, "Look, do you want Patrick Stewart back? Of course you do. Then just go with it."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 7, 2021