Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Gonna keep comin' to bat for ME:A i guess... but the game was real good about this. the squad hung out all over the ship. they'd move around, or spawn in different locations, and strike up conversations you could overhear and join in on. the ship also had a message board that updated (not frequently enough!) throughout the game.

then there was the fact that there was a buttload of dialogue recorded for every squad combofor when you were driving around planets.

The only thing I think Andromeda dropped the ball on in that regard was how it handled the non-player Ryder sibling. Telling them to go stand in the corner and face the wall on the Nexus and not do anything or talk to anyone except their sibling was REALLY lovely and they should have had them either on the Tempest with you as an NPC or as another squadmate to go on missions with. Or even better, make them both the Pathfinder and let you swap between them at your leisure.

Especially because the entire endgame is based around the sibling you didn't pick to play as, so you have your whole party suddenly extremely concerned about a person who none of them really know or have even interacted with, and it's really loving weird.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I'm also one of the few weirdos who actually enjoyed ME: Andromeda. The game imparted this great sense of exploration and being on the frontier, and the companions were decent enough Bioware-style companions. Heck, that sense of exploration even made the MMO collectathon quests at least make more sense and feel more natural than the ones in Dragon Age: Inquisition (I still didn't do many of them, because gently caress MMO collectathons, but still).

It's still the weakest ME game, and the only ME game that I haven't replayed multiple times (beat it once, then came back later and tried to replay with a different type of character and I just couldn't get through the early game because it's such a slog). Still, I enjoyed it on my one playthrough, running around on expansive planets scanning everything I could see and blasting robots and aliens and such.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

OhFunny posted:

She's camping in there to avoid taking to the aliens because she's a space racist.

see normally I'd figure that might be a reason but she even expresses sympathy toward Liara after Thessia and everything! I think they just dropped the ball

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

see normally I'd figure that might be a reason but she even expresses sympathy toward Liara after Thessia and everything! I think they just dropped the ball

Mass Effect 3 Ashley was Actually Kinda Good, at least as far as a non-Vega/non-Zaeed/non-Jack human squadmate goes. Kaidan was still boring as poo poo, but I'm trying an experiment with my most recent FemShep run to see if romancing him makes him any more interesting. Doubtful, but I need to find out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Mass Effect 3 Ashley was Actually Kinda Good, at least as far as a non-Vega/non-Zaeed/non-Jack human squadmate goes. Kaidan was still boring as poo poo, but I'm trying an experiment with my most recent FemShep run to see if romancing him makes him any more interesting. Doubtful, but I need to find out.

yeah she massively improves as a character and then they just stick her in one room for the whole game. even Kaidan plays poker with Garrus

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I fully believe that no one on the Normandy actually wants to talk to Ashley.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Funky Valentine posted:

I fully believe that no one on the Normandy actually wants to talk to Ashley.

no one to reciprocate her appreciation of "sensitive stuff" :smithfrog:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I know I’m alone but, I never had an issue with ME3’s ending. Also, Kai Leng is fine. He fits right into the same goofy super hero poo poo Shepard and crew have been doing since ME1. It’s also satisfying when old dying Thane beats his rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I know I’m alone but, I never had an issue with ME3’s ending. Also, Kai Leng is fine. He fits right into the same goofy super hero poo poo Shepard and crew have been doing since ME1. It’s also satisfying when old dying Thane beats his rear end.

Also Shep shattering his dumb Hiro Protagonist sword and stabbing him with an omniblade is fantastic.

"This is for Thane, you son of a bitch!" :hellyeah:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Shep shattering his dumb Hiro Protagonist sword and stabbing him with an omniblade is fantastic.

"This is for Thane, you son of a bitch!" :hellyeah:

Yea, that really is a “hell yeah!” moment and I love it! Kai Leng is the perfect rear end in a top hat foil because he’s so drat satisfying to murder.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Syrinxx posted:

Those of you who recently played Andromeda again, is it realistic to try and play through it without doing all the stupid open world bullshit? It's available on EA Play now just not sure if I want to get started on it just to find out I have to do 374372843 fuckin fetch quests that don't advance the plot
Honestly, I just bee-lined the main story and it was terrible and I think I missed 90% of the game. Didn't even find the other races ark ships. Didn't do any of the side-faction bullshit (yet they all showed up to help at the climax of the story?). If you own it for some reason and just want to see where they went with it I would absolutely recommend skipping everything because its all forgettable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I never finished MEA when it came out. I just got a bunch of mods for it so I might give it another go here though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Codependent Poster posted:

I never finished MEA when it came out. I just got a bunch of mods for it so I might give it another go here though.

You got this.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I'll always remember Thane's sick burn on Kai Lang

"That assassin should be embarrassed, a terminally ill Drell managed to stop him from reaching his target."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhC46YsFDR0

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Syrinxx posted:

Those of you who recently played Andromeda again, is it realistic to try and play through it without doing all the stupid open world bullshit? It's available on EA Play now just not sure if I want to get started on it just to find out I have to do 374372843 fuckin fetch quests that don't advance the plot

half the fun was from exploring the planets and trying to clear the way to get the colonies set up, imo. the main quest was whatever because the Kett were kind of lame as villains. there's a load of dumb fetch quests and scan planets/resources/plants quests that just loving suck... but you can skip those. quests that make the planets more habitable were pretty fun and put in contact with the weird precursor robots and their puzzle labyrinths, which were always satisfying to go through.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If Kai Leng's actual fight on Thessia wasn't such a cop out he'd probably be more well liked as a badguy who gets trashed repeatedly

But his actual fight on Thessia is a giant cop out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main problem with Kai Leng is that he looks stupid. *conceptually* the role of mid-boss who keeps trying to wreck your plans throughout the game is fine. I think the best possible version of him would have been what they ended up doing in Citadel, i.e. the Evil Shepard Clone from Cerberus Labs poo poo.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

OhFunny posted:

The best thing in ME3 is your squad interacts with each other on the Normandy between missions instead of standing in their corners for the whole game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu9_HG_Nhck

i never gave james vega a shot and maybe it was I who was the stupid character

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

proposal: Miranda, Jacob and Zaeed stay loyal to Cerberus and form a miniboss gang with Kai Leng opposing Shepard throughout ME3

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lt. Danger posted:

proposal: Miranda, Jacob and Zaeed stay loyal to Cerberus and form a miniboss gang with Kai Leng opposing Shepard throughout ME3

Wouldn't work, no one would want to shoot their friend.

Miranda, Jacob, and Kai Leng, yes, but not Zaeed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

If Kai Leng's actual fight on Thessia wasn't such a cop out he'd probably be more well liked as a badguy who gets trashed repeatedly

But his actual fight on Thessia is a giant cop out.

plus the bit with the Citadel coup where he jumps on top of the car and Shepard's response is to go "oh that's weird"

like try to shake him off or something man, cmon

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Pattonesque posted:

plus the bit with the Citadel coup where he jumps on top of the car and Shepard's response is to go "oh that's weird"

like try to shake him off or something man, cmon

Doesn’t Shepard shoot at him through the windshield or am I remembering wrong?

That whole sequence is dumb as gently caress haha.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Funky Valentine posted:

Wouldn't work, no one would want to shoot their friend.

Miranda, Jacob, and Kai Leng, yes, but not Zaeed.

zaeed switches to shepard's side halfway through after cerberus tells him not to shoot somebody (or blow something up) :zaeed:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kai leng is a mess because he's obviously outclassed by shepard and co but the game wants us to take him seriously anyway, so he keeps contriving himself into situations where he can come out on top until his plot armor finally wears off

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kai Leng is certainly the lamest cyborg ninja in video games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Here’s a cool idea I just had laying in bed: replace Kai Leng with a husked/resurrected Virmire casualty. It would have a lot of reason to hate you once indoctrinated and could make for some cool and emotional moments. Hire me BioWare.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They should have swapped the Shepard clone for the main plot and used Kai Leng as the joke wannabe antagonist of Citadel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the Shepard clone is far dumber/sillier than Kai Leng by a long shot. I’m glad it’s kinda played for laughs in a DLC instead of played seriously like Kai Leng.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Doesn’t Shepard shoot at him through the windshield or am I remembering wrong?

That whole sequence is dumb as gently caress haha.

I think possibly? Of course in a cutscene Shepard can't hit anything

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always just assumed a man jumping on the hood of a space car with his own Mass Effect shield could easily disrupt the vehicle and any attempt to “shake him off” could result in the vehicle crashing. There’s lots of excuses you can use in a sci-fi fantasy about why Kai Leng works, at least just as many as why he doesn’t work. It’s big dumb goofy space fantasy poo poo and Kai Leng works just fine in that regard. I often feel like folks think Mass Effect is a much harder edged sci-if than it really is. Granted, the first game does lean a bit more in that direction.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I always just assumed a man jumping on the hood of a space car with his own Mass Effect shield could easily disrupt the vehicle and any attempt to “shake him off” could result in the vehicle crashing. There’s lots of excuses you can use in a sci-fi fantasy about why Kai Leng works, at least just as many as why he doesn’t work. It’s big dumb goofy space fantasy poo poo and Kai Leng works just fine in that regard. I often feel like folks think Mass Effect is a much harder edged sci-if than it really is. Granted, the first game does lean a bit more in that direction.

I mean it's cool if the scene worked for you but if the answer to "why don't you try to shake him off or scrape him off on the ceiling or something" is that then it's kind of doing a lot of work eh

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
My big disappointment with the Shepard clone was that it was not the opposite gender Shepard. I think even for a DLC that was already extremely meta it was a missed opportunity to have a bit of fun and play Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale off each other.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Kai Leng shouldn't have been a new character, he should have been one of the Cerberus guys in 2 that fought you and lost and then got trained up to get revenge

You know, a... back story of some sort

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Alternately: replace kai leng with the batarian mechanic. If your imported file indicates that you stabbed him in the back, have him be like Cerberus brought me back! Stronger!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah but none of that poo poo was ever going to happen because Mac Walters is a loving hack and a fraud and wanted his ORIGINAL ANIME CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL to show up in his video game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of the weirder/sadder side-stories of the Ends are Bad debacle was patrick weekes bitterly explaining the way walters and hudson shut out the rest of the team on a different forum (Penny Arcade i think) and being ratted out by another user there, which led to bioware censuring and muzzling him

just a shitshow all around

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

one of the weirder/sadder side-stories of the Ends are Bad debacle was patrick weekes bitterly explaining the way walters and hudson shut out the rest of the team on a different forum (Penny Arcade i think) and being ratted out by another user there, which led to bioware censuring and muzzling him

Some account of different factions and POVs in ME3's development would be fascinating

I know there's that Geoff Keighly Final Days of ME3 piece but it always felt like something made with a lot of corporate cooperation, if that makes sense

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Oxxidation posted:

Lots of speculation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Again fighting Cyborg Martin Sheen would've been a better ending.