Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just watched Glitch in the Matrix and that was probably the worst documentary of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Have you seen Room 237, and if so, how did you feel about it?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

I just watched Glitch in the Matrix and that was probably the worst documentary of all time

Are you sure it's worse than Hillary's America

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Watching Electric Boogaloo right now, a documentary about Cannon Group, and basically every film that's being shown off looks absolutely ridiculous and/or insane and now I kinda want to try and watch a lot of these films

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't see Room 237 nor Hilary's America.y problems with Glitch in the Matrix is that it was extremely disconnected and I was constantly thinking "why do I care what this nobody Reddit nerd thinks" which I heard was a common issue with room 237?

Also the fact that it says Minecraft is proof of simulation theory was a big lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Room 237 is a good documentary about smug idiots but a bad documentary about The Shining

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've not seen it, I've always wanted to, but for anyone curious King himself wasn't very impressed (from a rolling stone interview).

Did you see that new documentary “Room 237” about obsessive fans of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining?
Yeah. Well, let me put it this way – I watched about half of it and got sort of impatient with it and turned it off.

Why?
These guys were reaching. I’ve never had much patience for academic bullshit. It’s like Dylan says, “You give people a lot of knives and forks, they’ve gotta cut something.” And that was what was going on in that movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Karloff posted:

I've not seen it, I've always wanted to, but for anyone curious King himself wasn't very impressed (from a rolling stone interview).

Did you see that new documentary “Room 237” about obsessive fans of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining?
Yeah. Well, let me put it this way – I watched about half of it and got sort of impatient with it and turned it off.

Why?
These guys were reaching. I’ve never had much patience for academic bullshit. It’s like Dylan says, “You give people a lot of knives and forks, they’ve gotta cut something.” And that was what was going on in that movie.

"These obsessive weirdos seem a little too focused and strange."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

Analog cable ruled because you could just buy a bootleg cable box for 50 bucks from some sketchy weirdo and it unlocked everything including pay-per-view.

90% of the movies I saw as a kid we’re on VHS tapes recorded off of free PPV from an illegal cable box, it was great and I miss it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Escobarbarian posted:

Room 237 is a good documentary about smug idiots but a bad documentary about The Shining

It’s not even a good documentary about the idiots, because they don’t bother to analyze the film in a legitimate way as a contrast - or to explain where these dumb ideas are coming from/why they’re wrong. The thesis ends up being this ‘creepy’ implication that maybe there is no reality???

The Nightmare has the same issue where it’s literally a full movie of random idiots telling you about a dream they had, with no particular insight into the subject. The focus seems to be on creating the ‘creepy’ implication that shadow people are real???

They’re just making lovely creepypastas, minus the part where Sonic The Hedgehog kills you at the end, and calling them documentaries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Worst documentary I've ever seen was What the Bleep do we know?

But that one was at least funny because there's a framing fictional narrative with Marlee Matlin that tries to hide the fact that she's deaf and the people I was watching it with got very upset that I "spoiled" it by immediately exclaiming "oh, it's that deaf actress, I love her" when she first appeared.

She's like the most recognizable deaf person in America. She won an Oscar, she was on West Wing and Dancing with the Stars.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

drrockso20 posted:

Watching Electric Boogaloo right now, a documentary about Cannon Group, and basically every film that's being shown off looks absolutely ridiculous and/or insane and now I kinda want to try and watch a lot of these films

If you haven't, please watch Lifeforce. I haven't seen a lot of Cannon films, but if you want something completely off the wall that somehow holds together, Lifeforce is what you want.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Nightmare has the same issue where it’s literally a full movie of random idiots telling you about a dream they had, with no particular insight into the subject. The focus seems to be on creating the ‘creepy’ implication that shadow people are real???

They’re just making lovely creepypastas, minus the part where Sonic The Hedgehog kills you at the end, and calling them documentaries.

The Nightmare even opens with "this movie might give YOUUUUUU night terrors!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lifeforce is an all timer.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Always be watching The Apple.

Escobarbarian posted:

John Fell Ryan (the dude who created the cut of The Shining running backwards and forwards superimposed over each other) rules.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lifeforce is like if they took Alien and Dracula mashed them together and turned the horny dial up to 11.

It's wild.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My fave Cannon movies so far are probably Bloodsport and Ninja III: The Domination. Very fun, very wild.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Haven’t seen this one but knowing it’s bad makes it even funnier that the director got easily hoodwinked into the cult from The Vow

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
My favorite review of Lifeforce is something along the lines of “the most batshit insane naked space vampire zombies from Halley’s Comet running amok in an end-of-the-world London movie that has ever been made” and that couldn’t be more accurate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s not even a good documentary about the idiots, because they don’t bother to analyze the film in a legitimate way as a contrast - or to explain where these dumb ideas are coming from/why they’re wrong. The thesis ends up being this ‘creepy’ implication that maybe there is no reality???

All that stuff is good.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Empress Brosephine posted:

Have you see "What the Bleep do we know?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy A. Person posted:

Haven’t seen this one but knowing it’s bad makes it even funnier that the director got easily hoodwinked into the cult from The Vow

I mean, he was hoodwinked by a cult to make What The Bleep, so that's not surprising.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramtha%27s_School_of_Enlightenment

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I watched a couple of documentaries that I got in a humble bundle, funded by devolver, and they were all miserable to a level you can't even imagine. If you've ever tried to sit through that Mega Man fan film from some time back, that's the kind of energy I'm talking about, but for a documentary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

But that one was at least funny because there's a framing fictional narrative with Marlee Matlin that tries to hide the fact that she's deaf and the people I was watching it with got very upset that I "spoiled" it by immediately exclaiming "oh, it's that deaf actress, I love her" when she first appeared.

She's like the most recognizable deaf person in America. She won an Oscar, she was on West Wing and Dancing with the Stars.

The worst documentary I've ever seen is Plandemic. I heard all about this movie so misleading and dangerous Youtube was wiping it from their site, and I was all set for some compellingly conveyed bullshit like Loose Change or Ancient Aliens, but it was just some Australian chick saying random unconnected thing over stock reaction images. Terrible. The quality of cranks took a loving nosedive when Trump entered office.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

The aforementioned Lifeforce is the big one, because it's an actual good movie made by a really good director but some other choice movies are Ninja III, The Last American Virgin, Tough Guys Don’t Dance, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and of course, Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo. Avenging Force is good fun too, and shockingly leftist for everything else that came out of the studio.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Tune in here if you want to see some edited superbowl commercials, then the Abbadook and then an edit of Hackers

https://twitch.tv/racerxtrash

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I continue to wonder why people go apeshit for Lifeforce. There are a few cool scenes and some great practical effects, the problem is that's like 10-20% of the movie. The rest is a bunch of boring middle aged men jabbering about nothing while you desperately hope to see any of that cool poo poo again. The best part of the movie is when they're in the alien spaceship and that's in the first five minutes. I was prepared for the exact kind of wild ride everyone is describing but I just spent two hours being bored and disappointed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
CPL, what do you think about the Quatermass movies?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't know, Room 237 had me kind of convinced that the Shining is about the genocide of the American Indian. But not the Moon Landing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

CPL, what do you think about the Quatermass movies?

I've never seen them but I can guess why you've mentioned them. I haven't seen much b-horror and sci-fi of the 40s-60s because so many of those movies are just 70-90% filler. For me the absolute worst thing a movie can be is boring. I think a lot of the reason people here love the movie Lifeforce is because they're carrying on the traditions of Roger Ebert.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Every Friday is movie night in our household, we rotate who gets to choose the movie and this week it was my turn.

Youngest is close to 6, which is only a little bit younger than when my step-aunt traumatized me with Robocop, and has a pretty solid head on her shoulders so I figured they could handle a wee bit of blood and gore. I opted for Watership Down.

They mostly shrugged off the bunny-carnage, but I was disappointed that I was the only one blubbering incoherently at the end. What a beautiful got-dang film!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lifeforce does have its slow bits but it's usually not too far between the latest bit of apocalyptic weirdness, and the sheer carnage of the climax makes up for it.

And part of it is just the contrast between the steely British reserve and the fact that this is a movie about a naked space vampire sucking light energy out of people and turning them into walking husk zombies. Hooper kinda threads the needle on the tone the movie needs, it's played straight in a goofball way if that makes any sense.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I saw Lifeforce in 70mm and the sound system was up so loud it nearly blasted my eardrums out, it was awesome

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a version of Enter the Dragon in the original Chinese, i.e. not dubbed? The English dubbed version on Netflix is godawful.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
They should make a sequel to the Ed Helms-led Vacation movie and have someone replace Ed Helms.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a version of Enter the Dragon in the original Chinese, i.e. not dubbed? The English dubbed version on Netflix is godawful.

It's not dubbed, it's an American co-production from Warner Brothers, co written by an American. All the sound was recorded later, like how they do with Spaghetti Westerns a lot, which is why it seems dubbed, but it was shot from an English language script.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

They should make a sequel to the Ed Helms-led Vacation movie and have someone replace Ed Helms.

Ethan Embry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who even remembers that was made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I've never seen them but I can guess why you've mentioned them. I haven't seen much b-horror and sci-fi of the 40s-60s because so many of those movies are just 70-90% filler. For me the absolute worst thing a movie can be is boring. I think a lot of the reason people here love the movie Lifeforce is because they're carrying on the traditions of Roger Ebert.

I get it, I do. Boring is the worst. But if you watched the first two Quatermass films, I wonder if you'd be able to gain a greater appreciation for Lifeforce. Not that it's such a complicated film to understand or enjoy, but that over time I've grown to appreciate the somewhat tenuous difference between a boring film (one that gives you nothing to hook into or gain for long periods if its runtime) and a deliberately-paced film (one which uses its slow pace to deliver nuance through atmosphere and living in the characters perspectives). The first two Quatermass movies and Lifeforce are similar to each other in that I think they do the latter spectacularly. But none of them feel like they're wasting my time for no reason other than to kill time like boring find do. A proper 1950s monster movie will waste your time. Lifeforce lets you inhabit a 1950s monster movie for a time and soak it in.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I get it, I do. Boring is the worst. But if you watched the first two Quatermass films, I wonder if you'd be able to gain a greater appreciation for Lifeforce. Not that it's such a complicated film to understand or enjoy, but that over time I've grown to appreciate the somewhat tenuous difference between a boring film (one that gives you nothing to hook into or gain for long periods if its runtime) and a deliberately-paced film (one which uses its slow pace to deliver nuance through atmosphere and living in the characters perspectives). The first two Quatermass movies and Lifeforce are similar to each other in that I think they do the latter spectacularly. But none of them feel like they're wasting my time for no reason other than to kill time like boring find do. A proper 1950s monster movie will waste your time. Lifeforce lets you inhabit a 1950s monster movie for a time and soak it in.

I like slow burn films, I just don't find Lifeforce to be slow burn at all. It's just filler occasionally punctuated by something that's actually interesting going completely to waste. All the poo poo in that movie that I actually find good just feels like big promises never delivered on and that finale seems like it belongs to a much better film. I don't think there's nothing to like in the film and I understand why people might enjoy it. I just don't get why people hold it in such high regard. In all fairness the way people here talk about it does make me sometimes consider revisiting but I'm still hesitant because I could use that time to watch poo poo I've never seen.

The movie sounds better on paper than the actual thing turns out to be but once again to be fair to the movie it got hacked up pretty badly by the studio so that could be where all my issues with it originate from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe it just helps that I love 50s and 60s monster b-movies and Lifeforce feels like the idealized form of those. It's got a lot of the same issues, but they seem better considered and utilized to become something unique and special and out of time.