Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mantis42 posted:

Anime can be cool but most of it isn't.

This is kaiju-adjacent, skip back about ten minutes for fighting them in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874&t=1639s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

GSP looks great to me. :shrug:

He's getting old, but he is a professional athlete and he still trains.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asterite34 posted:

...there's been previous trailers though that literally does exactly what you describe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYE_sLhJ4iU

Goddamn, never expected to see Gabara in a modern Godzilla joint

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ok yeah I'm getting huge Robotics;Notes vibes off this.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty sure they broke the law by not showing Godzilla in their Godzilla trailer.

But I liked that snippet of Jet Jaguar.

We now know how big this Jet Jaguar is, and its clearly too small to have been built to go 1v1 with Godzilla.

My god, if this show is about a group of misfits trying to build a giant robot and Godzilla only shows up at the end, not only does that sound like a show I'd loving love, but it would also be a crushing disappointment to everyone who said "At least it look better than that terrible Planet of the Monsters!". Which would make me happy, because of spite.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gripweed posted:

We now know how big this Jet Jaguar is, and its clearly too small to have been built to go 1v1 with Godzilla.

pfft, he'll just program himself to grow larger. idiot. :smug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think anyone here was saying it looks bad. My point was that you can't just unveil the trailer to a new Godzilla thing and not show Godzilla. Pretty sure everyone else was echoing the sentiment.

Even a tease of a shot of his eyeball would have been good enough.

Oh, but you clearly can, because they did. Checkmate

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It looks like just about every single anime ever made.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vintersorg posted:

It looks like just about every single anime ever made.

no it doesn't

e: it doesn't even especially look like generic 2010s/2020s anime, in some ways for the better (character design) and in some ways for the worse (ugly CGI movement for the kaiju because nobody can be assed to draw monsters by hand)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 2, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

...there's been previous trailers though that literally does exactly what you describe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYE_sLhJ4iU

Looks like I have the memory of a goldfish. That looks good.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

IMO it's +1 that there are Godzilla anime movies as the franchise needs variety and new takes, though I personally do not care about them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/godzil...p?skuId=6452090

The Best Buy exclusive steelbox for Godzilla (2014) looks really nice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
King Kong vs Godzilla ends with Kong and Godzilla just going to town on a pagoda for no apparent reason and then yeeting themselves off a cliff. And that's just it. The end.

I laughed out loud

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just watched the first episode of Ultra Q. Loved how silly Litra looked and how it didn't really give a gently caress about attacking Gomess. I also loved that Gomess took the fatal blow, casually destroyed the mining office, and then dramatically died.

I had heard Ultra Q was Twilight Zone with kaiju. The narrator at the end had Rod Sterling's end-monologue cadence down.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just watched the first episode of Ultra Q. Loved how silly Litra looked and how it didn't really give a gently caress about attacking Gomess. I also loved that Gomess took the fatal blow, casually destroyed the mining office, and then dramatically died.

I had heard Ultra Q was Twilight Zone with kaiju. The narrator at the end had Rod Sterling's end-monologue cadence down.

I finished watching Ultra Q a week or two ago.

It's a ton of fun, and some of the episodes get ridiculous, although some of the later episodes are a bit boring.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I finished watching Ultra Q a week or two ago.

It's a ton of fun, and some of the episodes get ridiculous, although some of the later episodes are a bit boring.

Yeah they were losing steam on it, which is why they switched off to Ultraman

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtOGzti-XQ

What if pacific rim... but also anime and kaworu from evangelion?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's disappointing that they don't have Australian accents.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So like on the one hand I do want a very well done movie that lives up to potential with a great score and it’s awe inspiring but on the other hand I will be disappointed if we don’t get at least one fight sequence with electronic dance hip hop as Kong and Godzilla square off.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i read that as 'at least one dance sequence with electronic fight hip hop' and now i'm going to be disappointed regardless of what transpires

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Mammoth Flower episode of Ultra Q was the best one I've seen so far. It reminded me of Shin Godzilla. In both, mankind had to deal with this strange, giant, stationary object or else perish.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtOGzti-XQ

What if pacific rim... but also anime and kaworu from evangelion?

This is doing nothing for me.

Pacific Rim really was a one off gem, wasn't it? Nothing else attached to it has measured up or enticed me at all.

Pacific Rim is about flamboyant robots doing boxing matches in neon cityscapes with Tom Morello rocking out with Ramin Djawadi and so far the sequel has lovely daytime fights where they slash and cut dozens of times without a clear winner in ugly washed out daytime fights or a crappy looking anime that wants to fight in a desert or a wasteland to save the budget with a robot that looks like every other robot from Uprising.

I think during the fight with Leatherback Gypsy manages to kill her with about seven punches and a plasma cannon clip and every one of those hits is massive while the sequel goes all in on slashy cuts with swords that do nothing. When Gypsy pulled a sword it ripped Otachi apart, bisected Scunner with one strike and mortally wounded Slattern. It was a finishing weapon and it was awesome but G Avenger's swords sucked.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 6, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The use of 3D animation in anime has been... a struggle for me. Often it looks like the framerate of the 3D stuff isn't keeping up with the framerate of the 2D stuff and it just looks like absolute poo poo in terms of the movement. The Godzilla anime (part 1 at least) was one of the worst offenders I've seen personally, on top of just being ugly artistically.

But then something like Beastars comes along and looks absolutely fantastic, and I'm not enough of an expert to know what all went into it working so differently for me. Maybe it has a crazier budget than I realized or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They better use the theme song. I’ll fight them if they don’t.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I don't have Netflix so I won't feel compelled to watch but that anime looks like hot garbage. It just screams "our number 1 goal was to animate this a cheaply as possible".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Martman posted:

The use of 3D animation in anime has been... a struggle for me. Often it looks like the framerate of the 3D stuff isn't keeping up with the framerate of the 2D stuff and it just looks like absolute poo poo in terms of the movement. The Godzilla anime (part 1 at least) was one of the worst offenders I've seen personally, on top of just being ugly artistically.

But then something like Beastars comes along and looks absolutely fantastic, and I'm not enough of an expert to know what all went into it working so differently for me. Maybe it has a crazier budget than I realized or something.

I wouldn't even say Beastars looks that good from an animation standpoint, it's just carried by the fact that given the setting and the character designs it kind of works for them to be awkward and uncanny.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 6, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

3D animation is just something that takes a level of time that the anime industry's schedule does not allow. So it's less than 3D is inherently bad and more that ever anime studio has the same bad management decisions that sabotages it. Same reason so much Hollywood CGI looks terrible.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 6, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The character design in Singular Point puts the Pacific Rim anime to shame.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best CGI in anime was the Zoids in Zoids.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Transformers animes too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just rewatched original flavor King Kong vs Godzilla. Something that struck me is how King Kong fills the role played by Mothra in the later films, to the point that King Kong vs feels almost like a first draft of Mothra vs.

It felt like a very misanthropic film. Most of the human characters, including the main cast, are casually and unthinkingly destructive. Only the islanders came off looking half-way decent, but in accepting rock and roll and cigarettes they're probably doomed, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Martman posted:

Or Yamato 2199/2202. They did an outstanding job on their mechanical design and 3d animation,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrYskeie-s

Episode 1 so no real spoilers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there any real-world reason why the fights in vs Gigan are so much more brutal than the rest of the series? The blood & Godzilla showing scars from being blinded seems out of place with the goofy human plot. Godzilla even does Atomic Butt Drops on Gigan later on! Not that I’m really complaining mind you, this movie probably has the best fights so far (even if there is some reuse)!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

david_a posted:

Is there any real-world reason why the fights in vs Gigan are so much more brutal than the rest of the series? The blood & Godzilla showing scars from being blinded seems out of place with the goofy human plot. Godzilla even does Atomic Butt Drops on Gigan later on! Not that I’m really complaining mind you, this movie probably has the best fights so far (even if there is some reuse)!

It was a hardcore deathmatch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

Just wait til MechaGodzilla 74

Anyways

So at this time, the Gamera movies were a pretty big deal. Gamera couldn't compete with, like, quality...on any front...so they went with some other gimmicks. Goofier monsters, more outlandish plots, most of their monsters have weird anatomy that you don't normally see in kaiju suits, stuff like that.

Also, lots and lots of blood and violence. Gamera gets stuck and bleeds like a pig, Gyaos gets shredded, Gurion gets the top of his head blown off, the violence in the Gamera movies is mildly insane. Only it doesn't really land because its all so cartoonish and no one bleeds 'blood'. They don't bleed red. They bleed green, or pink, or blue or some other gack color that wouldn't offend nobody.

So since they couldn't steal the quality of life improvements from Gamera, Toho decided to tackle the quality of violence improvements. The violence in Godzilla VS Gigan (and uh, one other film) hit a lot harder because, for as silly as the movie is, its slightly more grounded in realism. Its given more weight and isn't treated as this big cartoonish faff. Also, the shock of red as Gigan cuts Godzilla up, very visceral. Its why Gigan is a fan favorite besides his bug pal in the next movie.

Heisei Gamera would keep the traidition of violence alive and well for the record. So would The Brave

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gripweed posted:

The best CGI in anime was the Zoids in Zoids.
very much yes

RBX posted:

The Transformers animes too.
very much no

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beast Wars Yes.

Armada No.

Beast Machines hell loving no

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImiBYNUWjQ0

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is it soundtrack fuckery or is that mecha-godzilla's roar at the very end? I doesn't sound like G's at all

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Burkion posted:

Heisei Gamera would keep the traidition of violence alive and well for the record. So would The Brave

Noticed this watching the new Arrow set-- Gamera is constantly getting mauled, it's actually kind of unsettling because the Gamera suits are a lot more expressive than the average Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

This just keeps looking better and better. M