Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My theory is still that they were trying to match Disney's weird scheduling voodoo with Gravity Falls, but with having absolutely no idea what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If I remember correctly, the first "Stevenbomb," the episodes surrounding the arrival of Jasper and the revelation that Garnet was a fusion, was done at the behest of the crew because they felt it would make the story flow better that way rather than airing them over the course of a month or more. And Stevenbomb 1 was a huge success in the ratings and in generating social media buzz. The rest of the Stevenbombs were decisions by the network trying to recapture that magic.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 19, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
there were actually CN bombs that predated the first CN bomb (one around thanksgiving 2014 for Adventure Time, and multiple that december for Clarence and Uncle Grandpa). Heck if you think about it Over the Garden Wall's premier schedule technically counts as a bomb

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb cartoons

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Catching up on shows I've missed the last couple years and just finished watching Tangled. Narrative problems and such that others have posted about before, but wow that was way better than I went in expecting from a series-based-on-Disney-princess-movie. "Crossing the Line" and "Nothing Left to Lose" were whew. Would watch a sequel series focused on Cassandra if it includes more music like that.

Not sure what to start next but it's gonna be either Infinity Train or DuckTales, probably.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

xeria posted:

Not sure what to start next but it's gonna be either Infinity Train or DuckTales, probably.

Since neither is getting a season 4, I'd start with Infinity Train as all of it has aired already. There's only like 5 DuckTales left or something, but with Disney scheduling that could be in June.

Do both, for sure, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Since neither is getting a season 4, I'd start with Infinity Train as all of it has aired already. There's only like 5 DuckTales left or something, but with Disney scheduling that could be in June.

Do both, for sure, though.

Actually it was recently announced that Ducktales will resume on February 22nd, this is still the last season unfortunately though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Not a fan of the setting. Or the artstyle. The voice acting isn't my thing either. Maybe the characters, story or possibly the score are good, but probably not worth checking out.

the music is pretty drat good though

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think those were professional VAs though. That one guy was Jack Spicer.

and the girl is tommy from rugrats. these aren't amateurs.

quote:

I'm not a fan of the style, it's really messy and kinda reminds me of Ren and Stimpy. The characters seem really unpleasant.

same. it's not as bad as R&S, but it feels a bit difficult to watch.

that being said, i actually do think the show seems decent at the very least.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I finally got around to binging Owl House.

Goddamn that was good. Eda and Amity are both adorable.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I'm all in on Amity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm on Team Hooty, glory be to Hoot Prime.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hooty is great Willow is great Luz is great everyone is great.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

a neat cape posted:

Hooty is great Willow is great Luz is great everyone is great.

I dislike the walking nose. Sorry, author-insert.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Glory be to Hoot Prime.

I'm bored, and my current forums project is almost over, so I made a watchalong thread for She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957149

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Kid Cosmic is charming as hell and I highly recommend it. That’s really all there is to say on the matter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched the first episode and it was cute and nice. i'm not gonna binge cram it, but i'll come back to it later. the art is gorgeous

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I binged it yesterday. Honestly, on retrospect, I don't think I like it all that much.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Still working through the show but LOL, wow episode 4 randomly gets super dark on like four separate occasions.

"Aliens sleeping?"

:stare: "Yes... sleeping."

Edit: Series done. It's really good and I really hope they get a second season..

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 4, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/MrMuto/status/1357545358788681730?s=19

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Well that's upsetting

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1357735291449208841

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1357762301663744001

So the guy who used to run Noggin is running Cartoon Network now and is making a lot of changes. Don't know what that means for the future but it seems like getting more shows like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Infinity Train will be more unlikely. I could be wrong though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Cartoon Network still nonstop reruns of Teen Titans Go?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's like a moment of repreve in the afternoon but for the most part, yes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Amphibia's coming back in March.

And going from some of the episode descriptions, we're getting Marcy in Wartwood! :allears:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's mostly TTG and Gumball with a few other shows sprinkled in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

No.1 Special posted:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1357735291449208841

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1357762301663744001

So the guy who used to run Noggin is running Cartoon Network now and is making a lot of changes. Don't know what that means for the future but it seems like getting more shows like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Infinity Train will be more unlikely. I could be wrong though.

"Preschoolers" sounds like they're gonna try their own Nick Jr., which is smart and probably something they should've done long ago. Don't know what the hell "families and girls" means though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't seen or read anything related to Thomas the Tank Engine, and I don't really remember how most of it was structured, but it seems weird to bring in an electric bullet train when the old series was so much about steam trains being the heroes against those jerk diesel trains.

I'd say they should try updating Thomas to a newer train model, but it's right in the name. He's a tank engine. He needs water and coal to live.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

No.1 Special posted:

Honestly the big shows of tomorrow are probably going to mostly come from streaming services: CN Studios itself has been making a lot of its recent shows for HBO Max

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I haven't seen or read anything related to Thomas the Tank Engine, and I don't really remember how most of it was structured, but it seems weird to bring in an electric bullet train when the old series was so much about steam trains being the heroes against those jerk diesel trains.

I'd say they should try updating Thomas to a newer train model, but it's right in the name. He's a tank engine. He needs water and coal to live.

Legacy franchises get really weird, I think they'd started having sympathetic diesel trains a long time ago, and even the there's an unspoken idea that the Isle of Sodor (which, according to a map in a book I had as a tot, is right next to the Isle of Man) is basically a conservation ground for steam engines due to its abundant coal and existing network.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Non stop-motion Thomas is still incredibly offputting to me, but that 2D art style is... somewhat less so than the CG 3D? I guess? Maybe because I'm at least sort of acclimated to 2D Thomas thanks to all the books.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

No.1 Special posted:

It's mostly TTG and Gumball with a few other shows sprinkled in.

i haven't had cable for like 8 years now so this doesn't personally effect me, but it is very disappointing to see that this oversaturation of a popular show trend never died out since the beginning of the millenium.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not sure if targetting the pre-school market is going to work when even that demographic is just going straight to youtube kids, but i guess they have to try anything. unless something causes a seismic shift, though, i don't think any cable network is going to be able to keep from losing viewers to youtube and twitch

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know that tv in general has much of a future. As much as I don’t like the implications for my monthly budget, streaming seems like the future home for new shows and catalogue favorites.

I do like those weird digital subchannels like Comet that just have an endless rotation of amazing garbage I’ve never heard of, like an eternal 1990s Saturday afternoon when the ballgame is rained out.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know that tv in general has much of a future.

Sure it does. They're just going to start bundling the streaming services into packages to make them accessible and then adding ads for additional revenue and then the cycle shall be complete.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

"Preschoolers" sounds like they're gonna try their own Nick Jr., which is smart and probably something they should've done long ago.
They already tried, Big Bag and Small World in the 90s and Tickle-U in the 00s, both flopped, with Tickle-U lasting way shorter than CN Real did. I have very fever dreamish memories of Big Bag and Small World, those had some very odd imported kids shows in them, like this thing trying to be Pingu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC88Nety1vg

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

i haven't had cable for like 8 years now so this doesn't personally effect me, but it is very disappointing to see that this oversaturation of a popular show trend never died out since the beginning of the millenium.

I'm tempted to say this is the predominant model for repeats on cable now outside of the other kids channels. You can now watch >4 hour blocks of law and order, two & a half men, or modern family on multiple different channels.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is there any news about new episodes of The Owl House, or are we still waiting on that?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Is there any news about new episodes of The Owl House, or are we still waiting on that?

I haven't heard anything other than "mid-2021."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

So Amphibia's coming back in March.

And going from some of the episode descriptions, we're getting Marcy in Wartwood! :allears:

With the news that the new Ducktales is ending because of Disney's 3 season policy despite the fact that it seems to be doing fine, it kinda depresses me that Amphibia is already most of the way through season 2 and has been taking a very relaxed approach. It's gonna be over before I know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Madurai posted:

I haven't heard anything other than "mid-2021."

They're apparently still recording lines so there's that.