Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and before you ask "don't airplanes have backlit gauges like cars?" well let me say you would think so, wouldn't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just stick some lights in there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
full addressable RGB cockpit imo. rave that poo poo out

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i went for a walk today and stood in the middle of the baseball field while it snowed

i go skiing in 3 weeks :)))))))

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

full addressable RGB cockpit imo. rave that poo poo out

seems like a perfect application for those cheap aliexpress led strips

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if i owned a plane i would absolutely go that way

it is illegal to wire homemade electronics into the aircraft's electrical system unless it is a homebuilt aircraft

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you get the ones that are usb powered and use a usb battery thing

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

iirc it's illegal here to have plane certified for night flying if it is not equipped with backlit gauges, i can only imagine the pain of flying with flashlight lol

e:

Shaggar posted:

you get the ones that are usb powered and use a usb battery thing

yeah wouldn't that work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RustyKnight posted:

iirc it's illegal here to have plane certified for night flying if it is not equipped with backlit gauges, i can only imagine the pain of flying with flashlight lol

the usa at least doesn't have any backlighting requirements for night flight. to fly at night in addition to the daytime equipment requirements you need:

an electrical system
landing light
navigation/position lights
anticollision light (strobe or beacon)
spare fuses or installed circuit breakers

that's it.

RustyKnight posted:

yeah wouldn't that work?

that would be legal, yes, but annoying. you don't wanna be stringing stuff all over the cockpit.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

all this plane talk makes me wish to get a better paying job and renew my license, wish avgas weren't so expensive here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got my feet wet so I could take some stupid photos including this one for all you mother fuckers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I want to buy a new camera

looking for a solid point and shoot to take biking/hiking

was looking at the olympus tg-6 but a couple reviews knocked it down a bit due to the sensor size

any recommendations?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s some fujifilm point and shoot that gets consistently good recommendations in threads and such

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a p&s isn't really going to be any better than a modern smartphone

if you want to play with buttons and such the fuji mirrorless cameras are good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

The Fool posted:

I want to buy a new camera

looking for a solid point and shoot to take biking/hiking

was looking at the olympus tg-6 but a couple reviews knocked it down a bit due to the sensor size

any recommendations?

i have a Pentax k50 and it is really great. plus the lenses are dirt cheap because they have been doing the same lens attachment type for like seventy years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

🚨My Partner🚨 is trying to download some unofficial maps for her garmin, last time she tried she bricked her device, any tips?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cool

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a p&s isn't really going to be any better than a modern smartphone

if you want to play with buttons and such the fuji mirrorless cameras are good

i went a little crazy and got an X-T4 a while back and it’s pretty nice.

really good video too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like good path in the woods photos

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:nice:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

RustyKnight posted:

🚨My Partner🚨 is trying to download some unofficial maps for her garmin, last time she tried she bricked her device, any tips?

my parents bricked their garmin downloading official maps, good luck op

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

polyester concept posted:

my parents bricked their garmin downloading official maps, good luck op

Exactly what happen to her Garmin, thankfully she managed to load unofficial one successfully

We did about 15km and 800m of climb, we want to do 1.5x of that tomorrow

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

not wilderness but heckin' cute so enjoy

so many hikes planned and canceled because the beautiful winter wonderland turns to cold rain piss every time :rip:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i'm trying to find a head lamp that has the following features:

- steplessly adjustable brightness with a simple knob or dial (NOT pushing a button to cycle through presets)
- runs on a single AA cell
- has a round or relatively simple shaped lens so i can put a red filter over it
- not insanely expensive

update: i found a headlamp that is close enough

https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-TH20-White-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B01FCUTTCW

runs on a single AA

nice and cheap

lens is mostly round, a little funky shape but with some work i came up with a secure and if i may say exceedingly elegant way of attaching a red filter to it

brightness is smoothly adjustable through a somewhat dumb interface but not too bad. you just click once to turn it on, then click and hold and it will slowly ramp up and down, and you release when it's where you want it. it memorizes that value and turns on to that level in the future. double-click it to go to max brightness at any time. i can deal with that. also has a nice feature where if you hold the switch while turning on it goes to the minimum setting so it doesn't kill your vision.

ok, see ya

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like that ui. ordering as well

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
that's a great find tbh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i'm quite happy with it. it also doesn't look like some splinter cell tacticool loser garbage. just a good product

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i like that ui. ordering as well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well if y'all are buying them then here is the STL file for the filter, if anyone wants that. print it on your 3d printer using a TPU filament (i use ninjaflex), flat on the bed with 0.2mm layers, no support or anything. then cut a piece of 1/8" colored acrylic to a 22mm diameter circle using your laser cutter or other more primitive tool. snap the filter into the housing, put it over the lens, and pull the loops around the end caps.

says this link expires in a week so get it while it's hot

https://filebin.net/pdrpacl6ysjnemer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats adorable wow

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

there’s some fujifilm point and shoot that gets consistently good recommendations in threads and such

The X100 series (X100, X100S, ...T, ...F, ...V) I think. Basically a fixed-lens mirrorless rather than a "proper" point n shoot. Gets solid reviews and is supposedly jacket-pocketable, though I don't have one so no idea for sure.
Fuji's old X70 which is out of production, and/or the newer X10 series are their actual point and shoot cameras I think? I think people tend to just recommend Ricoh GR cameras, or a smartphone instead at that point though.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
finally saw the sun yesterday so just went walking and ended up a field somewhere, not wilderness but not bad for 40 minutes from inner city...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hiking 8 miles through the snow without spikes/snowshoes is a good time. Silly rear end puppy (SAP) jumped in a half-frozen pond and needed saving :rolleyes:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hiking 8 miles through the snow without spikes/snowshoes is a good time. Silly rear end puppy (SAP) jumped in a half-frozen pond and needed saving :rolleyes:

amazing

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:yosnice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hello friends, it's happening again