Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

eXXon posted:

Well, occasionally they do rescind goals indirectly if someone scores a goal that goes undetected by the refs (going off the read crossbar/goal camera and out or through the netting). If another goal is scored shortly thereafter, before the first one is confirmed by video review, they will only award that first goal and roll back the time to when it was scored, pretending that the subsequent minutes of play never happened.

Now I do wonder if someone were to injure an opposing player in that intervening time and get ejected or something, would they also pretend that it never happened?

38.1 (vi) - Any potential goal requiring video review must be reviewed prior to or during the next stoppage of play. No goal may be awarded (or disallowed) as a result of video review once the puck has been dropped and play has resumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Well yea refs can't hand out freebies for you in hockey the same way.

The refs gave out a free goal just this afternoon

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Bernie was 25 when the leafs last won the cup

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Which should tell you that its been a really really long time.

fisting by many posted:

38.1 (vi) - Any potential goal requiring video review must be reviewed prior to or during the next stoppage of play. No goal may be awarded (or disallowed) as a result of video review once the puck has been dropped and play has resumed.

This is important, but so is not taking off the penalty time even if you find you bottled the call. It means that the rules are being applied inconsistently for the next time a call is screwed up. So yeah, they fd up the offsides, but then they made it worse by taking the rest off the clock because all the teams arent being treated the same when the league messes it up. For the exact reason of what someone mentioned earlier about it only getting done because they had an intermission.

Its too bad it was a tied game at the time and it completely affected the game, but I dont see why they went and made it worse.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/iyer_prashanth/status/1358544951869661189

Well done lads

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

^Which should tell you that its been a really really long time.

This is important, but so is not taking off the penalty time even if you find you bottled the call. It means that the rules are being applied inconsistently for the next time a call is screwed up. So yeah, they fd up the offsides, but then they made it worse by taking the rest off the clock because all the teams arent being treated the same when the league messes it up. For the exact reason of what someone mentioned earlier about it only getting done because they had an intermission.

Its too bad it was a tied game at the time and it completely affected the game, but I dont see why they went and made it worse.

This has never happened before, and now will never happen again.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
So are Kuzy and Samsonov just never going to come off the COVID list?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

This has never happened before, and now will never happen again.

No, they get things wrong all the time, like with other delay of game penalties. But theyre not fixing their mistakes after play has restarted there. But you dont fix a mistake halfway through it there either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The NHL making the seemingly wrong decision is completely different than not properly completing the process.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fisting by many posted:

In the scenario I mentioned (which has happened), play continues uninterrupted after the first (missed) goal until the second goal, so okay it can't happen 30 minutes later but I'm not sure what your point is otherwise.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Attention chart lovers: Sean Tierney got hired somewhere and just closed his site and deleted all his tweets since last season. Pretty soon Micahs gonna be the last nerd standing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

In the scenario I mentioned (which has happened), play continues uninterrupted after the first (missed) goal until the second goal, so okay it can't happen 30 minutes later but I'm not sure what your point is otherwise.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but I'll expand like you are.

I'm talking about removing the remainder of the bench minor for delay of game. It's covered by 16.2 for how minor penalties are treated. I won't quote it because everyone knows it happens after 2 minutes or they score on the PP. So I'm just being critical of the league for 'fixing' the mistake by breaking a rule instead. They can't take the goal away, because that would also be breaking a rule. My point is you can't just pick and choose which objective rules you're going to enforce, even if you realize that as an officiating team/league you've screwed up a big call. (I realize they apply the many penalty rules subjectively, and it's annoying, but I can at least empathize with doing that even if I find it disagreeable.)

If I'm wrong and I'm missing the part where they can just cancel a minor penalty in the middle of it, I'd love to see it. I'm pretty sure there's not anything that allows for it after it's started, and you should just play through it all the way.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Louis CK has a bit where he says maybe pedophiles wouldn't kill so many victims if we didn't get so furious at them for molesting kids.

Along the same lines maybe we wouldn't have so many convoluted video replay rules if everyone could just shut the gently caress up about the refs blowing an obvious offside call or Stanley Cup winning goal.

gently caress video replay. The refs were right, they shouldn't even show it in the arena. Fans watching replays on their phones should be kicked out.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Louis CK has a bit where he says maybe pedophiles wouldn't kill so many victims if we didn't get so furious at them for molesting kids.

Along the same lines maybe we wouldn't have so many convoluted video replay rules if everyone could just shut the gently caress up about the refs blowing an obvious offside call or Stanley Cup winning goal.

gently caress video replay. The refs were right, they shouldn't even show it in the arena. Fans watching replays on their phones should be kicked out.

Man there is a lot to dig through here.

Next up is a justification for helmet to helmet hits in football with a comparison to the works of Harvey Weinstein.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
:stare:
[looks at thread title]
[double checks what sub forum I'm in]
[triple checks URL]

loving goons.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lol

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

the holocaust would never have happened if hitler had gotten into art school, and along those same lines if you never saw that louis CK bit you wouldn't have made this post

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you think about it, the refs botching calls that fundamentally alter the outcome of the game is a lot like trapping women in hotel rooms and forcing them to watch you masturbate because

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Uh, okay.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Glad someone is brave enough to stand up for those poor, poor NHL refs. You don't like refs? Then don't call them next time you need a penalty! How about that?!?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

romanowski posted:

the caps have had unreal injury luck the past 10 years and now it's all catching up to them at once

I thought this mostly just applied to Ovechkin, but you're right. Surely that changes since they are now the oldest team in the league.

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNHL/status/1357027353852002311

Penguins are outliers for being most injured and most successful.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Duck Rodgers posted:

The refs gave out a free goal just this afternoon

Did the team get a trophy for that?

This is bad and you should feel bad about it. Maybe more stuff about pounding ref's dogs or something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Attention chart lovers: Sean Tierney got hired somewhere and just closed his site and deleted all his tweets since last season. Pretty soon Micahs gonna be the last nerd standing.

Nooooooooooo those ones were actually readable.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Bill Burr has a bit about population control leading to less idiots doing dumb poo poo we have to suffer through daily. Not sure where I was going with this but solid post. voted 5

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1358777792234741762

Dom did a great dive into OT strategies

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Give and go eight times behind your own net before making your way up the ice for a guaranteed goal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also I doubt the authenticity of that statistic.

Chad Sexington posted:

I thought this mostly just applied to Ovechkin, but you're right. Surely that changes since they are now the oldest team in the league.

That's because the guy who keeps getting injured is Letang and he sucks.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Koopa Kid posted:

I'm glad he's getting paid, but goddamn it.

I'm going to need someone to slap the habs logo onto the top-right of a chart so I can get my fix.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chad Sexington posted:

The Penguins had bizarrely good (for them, anyway) luck with injuries for exactly two seasons, and won two Cups.

The truth is injury luck is a gigantic determiner of who wins championships in any sport.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME

This is like AV hockey 101.

Ya'll keep making snarky comments when I or other Rangers fans bring him up but this is AV hockey. His teams get out shot like mother fuckers, have terrible analytics, but generate a lot of high quality scoring chances. With the Rangers at least they also didn't defend the front of the net well (because they're always chasing the puck in the defensive zone or something?) and the cycle was also usually mediocre and most of the chances came off the rush.

It's honestly pretty fun when it's working but the reason we all got into "FIRE AV" mode is when it stops working it sucks to watch your team dick around and get easily stuffed offensively because everyone else has figured out how to mostly stop your one trick pony offense that can't sustain pressure and then they just trap you in the defensive end because your defense is a tire fire.

Flyers are more talented though so maybe they can ride that wave

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Have AV teams always also had problems with always parking the Zamboni with a third period lead and being really bad at it and blowing a lot of third period leads? It's kind of been a Flyers thing since long before AV got there, but I also feel like I remember it being an issue with his previous teams too?

Or maybe it's not that they're trying to turtle on a lead, but more that by the third period the other team's figured their poo poo out, as Levitate explained above.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I think the Pens think that this is how to better on the powerplay also

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have AV teams always also had problems with always parking the Zamboni with a third period lead and being really bad at it and blowing a lot of third period leads? It's kind of been a Flyers thing since long before AV got there, but I also feel like I remember it being an issue with his previous teams too?

Or maybe it's not that they're trying to turtle on a lead, but more that by the third period the other team's figured their poo poo out, as Levitate explained above.

This was a problem in NY as well. I think they'd regularly get destroyed hardcore shot wise in the third period trying to hold a lead

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

This is like AV hockey 101.

Ya'll keep making snarky comments when I or other Rangers fans bring him up but this is AV hockey. His teams get out shot like mother fuckers, have terrible analytics, but generate a lot of high quality scoring chances. With the Rangers at least they also didn't defend the front of the net well (because they're always chasing the puck in the defensive zone or something?) and the cycle was also usually mediocre and most of the chances came off the rush.

It's honestly pretty fun when it's working but the reason we all got into "FIRE AV" mode is when it stops working it sucks to watch your team dick around and get easily stuffed offensively because everyone else has figured out how to mostly stop your one trick pony offense that can't sustain pressure and then they just trap you in the defensive end because your defense is a tire fire.

Flyers are more talented though so maybe they can ride that wave

I've got no problem with the offense overall, frankly, but rolling out 2 defensemen for a PP unit and getting 1 shot on goal during a 4 minute double-minor is just lunacy and seems to be down to Therrien galaxy-braining the power play.

E: and yeah the Flyers under Hakstol turtled HARD on leads but they largely haven't under AV. The third period has been their best for a while now and they're very good at keeping the pace up late when they're winning.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DildenAnders posted:

Glad someone is brave enough to stand up for those poor, poor NHL refs. You don't like refs? Then don't call them next time you need a penalty! How about that?!?

You joke, but I've seen people defending refs in this very forum!

Trust no one.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Flyers in the AV era have surprisingly been the opposite mostly. Their third periods have been the best for the most part, except the last couple against the Bruins. And its definitely a newer thing, too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1358798239818915841

Bure as a Panther is still one of the most absolutely bizarre things to me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Penguins had bizarrely good (for them, anyway) luck with injuries for exactly two seasons, and won two Cups.

The truth is injury luck is a gigantic determiner of who wins championships in any sport.

MAF getting the Pens to the third(?) round in 2017 after Murray went down in warmups for the first game of the playoffs is still one of the more :psyduck: things I can remember in recent memory.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
bure coming back after that knee injury and absolutely torching the league for like 10 games is one of my favorite hockey things

also those next couple years in florida was one of the best one man band performances ever in the NHL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

bure coming back after that knee injury and absolutely torching the league for like 10 games is one of my favorite hockey things

also those next couple years in florida was one of the best one man band performances ever in the NHL

In 2000-01 he averaged 26:52 per game in ice time on the Panthers. Absolutely absurd beer league poo poo. That's one of my favorite Bure stats.

Crosby's highest average toi in his career was 21:57. Ovechkin's was 23:06. And that's young Crosby/Ovechkin.