Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Dabir posted:

why does the ship made of magical flying ink have a tailpipe that's also its engine

And what look to be rivets or such connecting the wings to the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Love to fly a spaceship with no seats or seatbelts

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

And what look to be rivets or such connecting the wings to the body.

More evidence it wasn't supposed to be the ink witch's ship originally. But Mookie wanted a spaceship in his comic, dammit, so he's going to shoehorn it in however he can.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I almost think he’s trying to ape Moebius?

But unfortunately, Mookie is lazy and lovely so it looks like a DBZ ship in a land of pubes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SubG posted:

Visit scenic Maltak, land of a thousand pubes.

I forgot they had teleported to Maltak until I read this comment. What mookie's trying to do is show how Maltak is no longer a wasteland. Something he already did. Which means that this doesn't stand as a revelatory shot but as a "ohhhh look how beautiful things are now" shot. Which... doesn't work when the vegetation is drawn like pubes.

Also, the ship's cockpit continues to shrink.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I was gonna make a joke how the inside of the cockpit must stink to high heaven because Snout and Corpsemomwife haven't had a proper bath in weeks, but then I remembered they got to Maltak within a day or two because Mookie's poo poo at establishing a sense of time passing.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

amigolupus posted:

I was gonna make a joke how the inside of the cockpit must stink to high heaven because Snout and Corpsemomwife haven't had a proper bath in weeks, but then I remembered they got to Maltak within a day or two because Mookie's poo poo at establishing a sense of time passing.

Still probably smells :colbert:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Still boring

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:10bux: to the first person to find where he traced those from.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Oh good. More orcs.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure that fly-fishing scene is traced, but beyond that - did Mookie forget that orcs can't/don't eat meat? Why are they fishing at all?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm sure that fly-fishing scene is traced, but beyond that - did Mookie forget that orcs can't/don't eat meat? Why are they fishing at all?
The noble savages still like to torture fish and the take pictures of them. Just not actually kill them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the fish are actually fish shaped, sentient, mobile seaweed checkmate :smug:

that farming shot is really making me think "Chinese rice farmers" but I couldn't find anything

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Kavak posted:

:10bux: to the first person to find where he traced those from.

https://images.app.goo.gl/99dyWv9sw4uPTfNf8

https://images.app.goo.gl/rLxKNDtxhFvbFs6j7

The fly fishers were ready enough to find (assuming those links work)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Edit: holy poo poo nice find /\

... What exactly are those farmers doing, anyway? Their tools look like they're just sticks, and the crop just looks like wheat, but it's leaving behind a bunch of little berries? That the farmers just dump on the ground, then put in the baskets... What, one at a time? No way they're doing anything with those sticks to get them in the baskets.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I can't believe how obviously traced that second panel is

The War in Hell Part 7

This is supposed to be funny, but I really hate that it makes Dominic yet again always right. If he wanted them to keep the pins on at all times, why not just tell them that? Why not just tell them what they did?

So here, with hindsight, we can see that the point of this arc is that Siggy isn't actually a good person, he's just being a good boy for lust, which makes him bad. It's going to be ambiguous, which is why people will still like Sigfried at the end of the story, but Mookie's intent becomes clear when you consider Dejah saying only bad people go to hell, and the revelation that Lust motivated Karnak's final act.

Racism matters most in the way it makes Dominic angry.

Mookie does love that slur.

Once again, I hate that Dominic and co can just look at something and know exactly what sort of specific magical thing it is. It's just lazy.

Not to bring up that strip again, but worth poiting out that Mookie is framing Stonewater as the best among orcs. There's really no ambiguity in how Mookie wanted to present him, so any claims that the Melna story was supposed to be actually exploring grey morality falls very flat.

I don't hate the demon designs, but this is again where the question of "what is this story about?" flares it's head. Not every element of a story has to be a metaphor for something, but all stories to carry ideas of themes. And the theme here is of a jealous friend poisoning all of the protagonist's relationships by framing his actions in a negative way. I don't know if Mookie necessarily intended these dynamics necessarily, or if they sort of formed naturally from his choices anyway. But ultimately, we're left with this framing where any anger at the legitimately terrible thing the protagonist did is framed as a conspiracy against them by a bad actor. The demonic pretense just makes it weirded, especially with the initial framing of Bulgak.

Again, any complexity with Bulgak disappears here. His heart was motivated by lust, so his self-sacrifice and all his apparent previous motivations go away.

And again, Dominic is the solution to everything. There's no moemnt of doubt with Stonewater, it's just yet another righteous awesome moment for the protagonists. Stonewater doesn't really have to make the choice.

This is actually like though. It's clever, even if it re-uses the thread effect Mookie loves as a magic power.

A lot of this is coming out of nowhere, and I don't think we ever find out exactly what this "prophecy" is.

Not that it really matters

I do like that Stonewater doesn't really seem to be trying not to hurt Grench, or worrying about killing her in any way. Mookie includes these dramatic moments cribbed from other stories but doesn't follow through with them.

The next two strips are the most terrible part of this section

Brace yourselves for what comes next....

First we have this gem, where Melna shows that she is entirely over the traumatic event that informs every part of the her character and that is her only backstory. Here was another strip that sapped the goodwill from Mookie, because it really does turn the whole stonewater fiasco into just being about stonewater. Mookie spent way more time delving into his side of the story and his reaction to it than he did Melna's. And ultimately I think that is a big tell on why Mookie felt that he could try to write something like that in the first place. He is literally phallocentric in his writing, thinking about everything only from the default male perspective.

Here is again the idea of vindictive rage as righteous when it comes from the protagonists. In spite of the idea that Bulgak only became an infernomancer to help Maltak, in spite of all the things he and Grench said in his defence originally, now he is the bad jock, so he deserves to be hurt. Other people under demonic influence don't, but he does, he's irredeemable, for the sin of taking Mookie's girl. It's this selective empathy and pacifism that I especially hate in all Mookie's protagonists. They aren't more clever, they just have the narrative twist around them so they can both be petty and vengence fuelled, and still seem superios to everyone else.

Also, we once again see how enamoured Mookie is with the idea of the puppet master character who manipulates all his friends into saving the day. Even Stonewater isn't spared this robbing of narrative agency. As bad as it is now, it at least backfires here, as we all know. Dominic doesn't learn any lesson from that though, as we'll see in snowsong.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Nighthand posted:

https://images.app.goo.gl/99dyWv9sw4uPTfNf8

https://images.app.goo.gl/rLxKNDtxhFvbFs6j7

The fly fishers were ready enough to find (assuming those links work)

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Tracing Rocks Real Hahahaha Mookie Just Freehand Rock Shapes Like Mookie Make Gray Blobs Haha

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The king is later revealed to be a powerful seer in his own right so he shouldn't need the full and undivided attention of the royal seer.

We got him.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I genuinely forgot there were elves in the Deeganverse, was the last one we saw that guy from the Storm of Souls? Do we ever meet the Queen? She sounds important if she requires King David's undivided attention!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Pyrotoad posted:

I genuinely forgot there were elves in the Deeganverse, was the last one we saw that guy from the Storm of Souls? Do we ever meet the Queen? She sounds important if she requires King David's undivided attention!

We do not. IIRC the next elves in the comic are during the honeymoon cruise arc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Those fishing orcs are the most traced things ever - they're wading modern-day waders. I'm reasonably certain that's the cover of a camping magazine or something, or a reference book used by the same.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Why did the Ink Witch's ship blow up Snout's house?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why did the Ink Witch's ship blow up Snout's house?

WILD EDGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRytTfWL8Q

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Did the strip of Melna declaring Stonewater her husband followed by her immediately walking it back, happen to fall on a Friday and Monday.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

Did the strip of Melna declaring Stonewater her husband followed by her immediately walking it back, happen to fall on a Friday and Monday.

Wednesday and Thursday

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

Those fishing orcs are the most traced things ever - they're wading modern-day waders. I'm reasonably certain that's the cover of a camping magazine or something, or a reference book used by the same.

Also, of course Mookie has his presumably medieval subsistence farmers doing fly fishing, a modern recreational fishing method.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

Wednesday and Thursday

drat, it has such a "I got massive backlash to this and need to meekly walk it back" energy Mookie loves so much.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I took a look at that page's entry in the Keenspot forums. If he got negative pushback it wasn't there.

Mookie's readers at the time were generally more "interested" (read: creepy) about Melna pinning her Deus Ex Dominic "in her cleavage."

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
God, it's so hard to connect to my past self, who read these chapters and genuinely thought that Dominic's patronizing bullshit was charming. His attitude of "why do I have to be the only adult around here" is so tiresome.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's kind of proto Rick and Morty, isn't it? The whole "I'm a brilliant genius, and that justifies my misanthropy towards all the people I think are stupid" thing.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

In a better done series it could work. Dominic's frustration with other people's decision-making and tendency to rant is potentially very good characterization for someone who is can see the future but is also often relegated to watching events unfold outside of his control. When your primary defense against much more immediately dangerous beings is being able to look ahead and see the big picture, frustration with someone being short-sighted is extremely understandable.

Buuut that would also require acknowledging it as a flaw, even if it's a flaw that's understandable, and also for Dominic to be more of a frustrated observer who doesn't get numerous power upgrades as the plot demands.

One notable difference between Rick and Dominic is that the narrative and other characters know that Rick is a piece of poo poo and that being a genius and being a good person aren't mutually exclusive. Rick just refuses to acknowledge that. As do many of Rick's fans.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

oriongates posted:

One notable difference between Rick and Dominic is that the narrative and other characters know that Rick is a piece of poo poo and that being a genius and being a good person aren't mutually exclusive. Rick just refuses to acknowledge that. As do many of Rick's fans.

Yeah I'd say that while the show kind of fumbles the landing on that message, it's very clear that Rick is a toxic influence to his family and is making their lives horrifically worse.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

R&M’s big flaw is that it never really seems to know where to land between “Rick is a loving awesome genius” and “Rick is a loving awful person to literally everyone else, why would you want to be like him?” with any consistency. Sure, he’s usually seen getting some comeuppance for his rear end in a top hat behavior in the season finales, but in between those, he’s shown in a pretty decidedly positive light with lots of the very same behaviors that get him called out by the narrative in those finales.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I could feel Dan Harmon's last gently caress seeping out with the big reset at the end of Season 3 so I'm not surprised it's inconsistent.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I don't necessarily see that as a flaw in R&M myself. It's possible to have a person the narrative and other characters acknowledge as utter garbage but still find them fun to watch. Always Sunny In Philadelphia is a good example, where it can be equally funny to see the gang's genuine terribleness screwing them over or see them somehow succeed in defiance of karma and common sense.

Rick fails and fucks up almost as often as he succeeds, perhaps more and even the problems he solves are usually those of his own creation. It's still good dark humor to see him get himself into and out of trouble and it can be fun to see the show's creativity at work coming up with horrible devices and abominations of science. But it's not like Rick is ever really presented as some kind of necessary evil that everyone has to tolerate because he keeps saving the world or something. He's certainly doomed more worlds than he's saved.

The central problems are a certain breed of pseudo-intellectual fans who've latched on to Rick as their favorite archetype, which is hardly exclusive to RM. We've seen this with lots of 'edgy' characters like Rorschach and the Joker. It's just a different version of the old "I studied the blade" assholes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The biggest difference I think with Dominic is that he isn't a curmudgeon or a manipulative bastard in general, just when the story plot demands it. In other cases he has characters praising him and wearing little pins of him for inspiration. Much like greg getting to totally own the jocks by making them look gay, but then also getting to have his big pacifist self-sacrifice moment, the problem with all of Mookie's protagonists is that whatever negative traits they seem to have are actually Mookie's lack of self-awareness bleeding through, as his characters enact horrible punishments on their enemies but then speak about the need to forgive and not resort to violence.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I took a look at that page's entry in the Keenspot forums. If he got negative pushback it wasn't there.

Mookie's readers at the time were generally more "interested" (read: creepy) about Melna pinning her Deus Ex Dominic "in her cleavage."

Seeing this is like sailing past the tattered remains of fellow travelers.

Had to draw the corpsemom's butt did you, you lil weirdo.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Rick and Morty and the character of Rick are the goofus to the Venture Bros' and the character of Rusty's gallant.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, I thought she had an oversized inkbrush? Now it's just a straight-up broom?

TheHan posted:

Had to draw the corpsemom's butt did you, you lil weirdo.

Snout has been clearly shown to know how to sew his own pants + shirt, but when it comes to a naked woman, he chose to just make a poncho and let her go commando. So gross.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Rick and Morty and the character of Rick are the goofus to the Venture Bros' and the character of Rusty's gallant.

You are 100% correct and you should say it.