Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KomradeX posted:

Idk, I think I'd rather watch Infernal Affairs than the Departed

ugh goddamn everybody knows okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The departed is pretty good though!

It never really clicked with me

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tonight on Netflix I watched Operation Odessa, which was a documentary about the time the Cali Cartel tried to get a Russian submarine in the mid 90s. I wax laughing my rear end off at it because I could only describe the people involved as Chapo characters.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
get drunk and say "i'm not a cop" in a boston accent and you'll have the full departed experience

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gonna x-post this from ADTRW 'cause it ruled and the 5th Season of The Expanse just wrapped:https://thespool.net/features/the-expanse-mobile-suit-gundam/ - The whole thing is a must-read but I'll pull some bits for the lazy:

“The Expanse” and “Mobile Suit Gundam”: two sides of the sci-fi coin" posted:

Fans of each franchise recognize the similarities in the other, and there are even some Easter Eggs that seems intentional. The first of the Free Navy’s meteorites to strike the Earth destroyed Dakar, the home of the Earth Federation congress in 1985’s Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. That series also originated the repeated maxim that Earth’s souls are “weighed down by gravity”, a line paralleled in Commander Thorsen’s interrogation of Bobbie Draper: “[Gravity]’s different when you’re there. This oppressive pull-down. It pulls the spirits down with it”. That scene was set on the MCRN Scirocco, possibly named for Zeta Gundam’s final antagonist, Paptimus Scirocco, a man changed by his years spent orbiting Jupiter. But the parallels aren’t a list of click-bait references, they’re the undergirding assumptions on how science fiction should reflect the world.

That innovation is the strongest link to The Expanse. Gundam’s wars are born of people’s self-interest, driven by ideology, and rooted in material reality. James S. A. Corey’s setting is, at its highest levels, a web of interrelating nodes. Resources are extracted, trade links established, and opportunities exploited across incredible distances so great that individuals become blind to how every action creates a reaction. Colonization of exoplanets moves forward, so Martian terraforming is unnecessary, so the meticulous plan of Martian society falters, so the Free Navy can act without restriction, so millions die in a meteor strike.

Meanwhile in the Universal Century, a revolutionary dies, so an opportunist takes over, and builds a military regime called Zeon, and the independence movement becomes fascist. After winning the war, the Earth Federation’s special forces violently suppress the colonies, becoming authoritarian themselves, which starts a civil war, creating an opportunity for a new Zeon movement to return. Each conflict, and each individual, is a product of their material reality. It’s hard to bridge the gaps when humanity no longer shares the same sky.

What The Expanse and the Gundam franchise share is an impulse to reflect the world as it is, but on a grander scale. To use genre trappings to heighten the contrast, and make the truth more visible. It’s magical realism without the magic. They approach that goal through a materialist lens, and set an array of pieces out on a board bigger than the Earth can hold, to see how each still exerts a force on all the others. If you’d like to see this in practice for yourself, the following is a list of five Gundam titles that each exemplify a piece of the brand’s connection to The Expanse.

And the recs are all fantastic, of course - big ups to dropping Gundam Thunderbolt in there.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

ugh goddamn everybody knows okay

it was wild finding out the “most pretty women are cops” scene was word for word from IA

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished watching this and it fuckin' rules, it's C-SPAM as gently caress and heavy on the class war themes, as well as a healthy bit of internationalist optimism. also the robot says trans rights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1WYnJF1Pwo

really good filler if you got bummed that The Expanse just wrapped up season 5

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 10:25 on Feb 8, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i rather hated space sweepers personally too much exposition to the point that it simultaneously hits you over the head with the class war stuff but also contradicts it frequently partially because the villain isnt technically a capitalist but also because the story goes out of its way to emphasize that its characters chose to be space pirates having rejected other life choices

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
It looks like planetes combined with the jetsons in other words complete dogshit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i was hoping for planetes personally but the entire space junk thing is dumped really fast despite it being the alleged job of the spaceship crew and also the foundation of the main characters backstory

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dune (1984) is a wild, good, bad, gross, engrossing movie.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

gonna x-post this from ADTRW 'cause it ruled and the 5th Season of The Expanse just wrapped:https://thespool.net/features/the-expanse-mobile-suit-gundam/ - The whole thing is a must-read but I'll pull some bits for the lazy:

And the recs are all fantastic, of course - big ups to dropping Gundam Thunderbolt in there.

give bobbie a gundam, got it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

NASA wants them to slingshot around Mars, intercept the second supply ship in mid-space-transit,

there's no way this could work, their relative velocities would be (lol) astronomical

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wasnt that basically the climax of the martian though which ive been told is SCIENCE the movie

it wouldnt surprise me to learn that the away people just lifted that from the martian assuming it was correct and didnt bother to actually crunch the numbers themselves

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
My coworker left the browser signed into Amazon Prime; which show do I watch first?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the expanse duh

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Okie dokie. Will my fractal crackpinging inhibit my enjoyment of it at all?

Edit: Accidentally turned audio to "descriptive" and was so confused.

"...illuminates a small sliver of the moon. Credits appear."
Me: Wow, this sure is meta, but okay,

Tubgoat has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Feb 9, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh the show is absolutely designed for the crack pinged

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Don't forget to slip a couple weird products into his search suggestions

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

Don't forget to slip a couple weird products into his search suggestions
I will not do that, she is cool (even if she did just dump out like 5 pounds of expired coconut).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Away season ender:

Lu, the taikonaut, is supposed to be the first one to step off the spaceship after it lands on Mars. She's supposed to take mankind's first step on Martian soil, and is intended to take the first photo taken from Mars, showing herself. It's heavily implied that China managed to negotiate all of this in exchange for their support in the program.

At the very last minute, the Chinese space program administrators issue instructions for Lu to keep her reflective visor down when she takes her picture. So they won't see that a woman is in the suit, but they will see the suit with its Chinese flag stitched onto the shoulders. Again, the show hammers on the idea that China is just so sexist that they'd be willing to erase Lu's identity from the picture, and also that China is so collectivist-nationalist that Lu is supposed to take this on the chin because that's what "the motherland" is asking for her, and that the motherland is more important than herself as an individual.

She tries to bargain by saying that she'll abide by those orders if they reinstate her lover back into Mission Control, but China's response makes it clear that they're not going to budge on the issue.

She eventually gets convinced, by the Russian of all people, that "borders don't exist" and "the motherland doesn't care about you", and so the series ends with her taking a picture of the entire team on Mars, rather than just her with the visor down, as a big ol' gently caress-you to her orders.

Ultimately this did not sit well with me. The writers just can't resist trying to make China the bad guy, and for Lu to become increasingly more "Americanized" as she resists the micromanagement of her leadership by expressing more of her individuality.

It's such a sharp contrast to other movies, where even when China is portrayed as a secretive nation, it's usually for something good, such as a second satellite to help The Martian that NASA did not know about, or that China gets to build all of the big Ark ships in 2012 (although in that latter example, there's still the implication that the construction was done at the expense of Tibetans).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
it's been said in the past, somewhat tongue in cheek, that the expanse is a documentary, but at this point it seems like a wildly optimistic view of our future.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Laterite posted:

it's been said in the past, somewhat tongue in cheek, that the expanse is a documentary, but at this point it seems like a wildly optimistic view of our future.
*watching the first 10 minutes* Oh no,

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk how you'd build solidarity between largely unemployed Earthers and the Belters. seems like it'd be a nightmare

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are last minute changes even a thing in space programs i was under the impression that resources are such a big concern you cant even like waste time handing the camera to another person or else something ridiculous might happen like the ship exploding

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

nah something like taking a Mars selfie isn't micromanaged to that degree, remember they were golfing and joyriding at one point on the Moon

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

idk how you'd build solidarity between largely unemployed Earthers and the Belters. seems like it'd be a nightmare
As has been discussed in other threads, unconscionable, soul-destroying loss seems to be a necessary precursor to moving left at all.
It makes a certain mathematical sense then that the privileged require considerably less loss in order to notice something is horrifically wrong and to start to piece it together.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laterite posted:

in that sense it’s sort of the bizarre successor to Star Trek TNG of all things, in that it does have a sense of optimism running just under the hood. if not optimism, then at the very least a hope that these sorts of problems are solvable, if we’re willing to work together

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr Hootington posted:

Dune (1984) is a wild, good, bad, gross, engrossing movie.

Pretty much. It's my go to movie for kinda not really paying attention to while being high on painkillers and weed. Really helps get into the constant inner-monologues and xanax fueled pace/acting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching Tomorrow Never Dies and holy loving lmao it kicks off with an insane billionaire media mogul tries to engineer a world war. gee whiz a little ahead of our time here fellas

oh and Jonathan Pryce calling up an illuminati zoom call and one guy immediately rattles off "our new software is ready to release, full of bugs as you requested, so people will be forced to upgrade for years"

yowzers!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching Tomorrow Never Dies and holy loving lmao it kicks off with an insane billionaire media mogul tries to engineer a world war. gee whiz a little ahead of our time here fellas

oh and Jonathan Pryce calling up an illuminati zoom call and one guy immediately rattles off "our new software is ready to release, full of bugs as you requested, so people will be forced to upgrade for years"

yowzers!!!

Tomorrow Never Dies extremely owns in the post-escalator era.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah but for some reason MI6 is trying to stop him?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Vice cops trying to arrest each other for buying/selling drugs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know they won't do it but they should really bring Brosnan back for the IOI 007 game, his era of Bond movies are beautifully silly in a way that totally fits with the Hitman formula

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

still wondering why the chinese government decided to send a lesbian astronaut to mars if they hate lesbians so much

youd think a country of a billion people could find a qualified astronaut whos not a lesbian if they were that hellbent on being bigoted assholes but apparently not

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

are last minute changes even a thing in space programs i was under the impression that resources are such a big concern you cant even like waste time handing the camera to another person or else something ridiculous might happen like the ship exploding

space programs are a weird mix of everything being tightly regulated because small mistakes can be fatal when you're in hard vacuum a million miles from earth and everything being overengineered to keep people safe so astronauts can be loving around throwing poo poo at each other and it's fine

it is possible to change space missions on the fly, often because of the overengineering meaning the actual pieces of technology end up being capable of more than the mission requires, like how virtually every unmanned space exploration mission ends up getting extended for years or decades because they complete the mission and then go "oh yeah it turns out the spaceship still has ten years of battery life, we might as well do a slingshot around Mars and fly it past these other planets to take pictures of them when it gets there in six years, since it's already out there"

Some Guy TT posted:

wasnt that basically the climax of the martian though which ive been told is SCIENCE the movie

it wouldnt surprise me to learn that the away people just lifted that from the martian assuming it was correct and didnt bother to actually crunch the numbers themselves

it's been a while since I watched the Martian, but I think a key difference is that in the Martian they slighshotted around Earth and then caught up with the supply ship that was headed to Mars, so at least they were going the same direction which makes it a little more plausible

it sounds like in Away they wanted to do the opposite, slingshot around Mars and catch up with a supply ship headed from Mars to Earth, which is way more impossible because the relative velocity difference is way bigger since the two ships are traveling different directions instead of the same direction

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The CIA did hate Trump

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/scribblesscript/status/1358679076408496130

Oh boy!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

it's also got

quote:

Wyatt Russell as John F. Walker: A militaristic successor to Captain America created by the U.S. government

predicting that the "anarchists" eventually team up with the heroes to take down fascist Captain America. We learn that the truth was somewhere in the middle all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Weren't the "Flag Smashers" in the comics ultimately led by Literally Hitler?