Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone watch space sweepers on Netflix yet? I'm dying to know if it's worth it. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I know Zendaya is 24 but she just seems like a kid.... I don't buy her in super adult roles opposite people a lot older than her like John David Washington.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Earwig and the Witch is... fine. Because it's a 3D animated movie and I basically liked everything except the animation. Wish Ghibli could have just drawn it normal.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boco_T posted:

Earwig and the Witch is... fine. Because it's a 3D animated movie and I basically liked everything except the animation. Wish Ghibli could have just drawn it normal.

Yeah, I've never really enjoyed any Ghibli movies that weren't done by Hayao Miyazaki. But that was certainly not great. Between the animation, and the story, just mediocre all around. I just watched it, and it just sort of ended without going anywhere at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mcmagic posted:

I know Zendaya is 24 but she just seems like a kid.... I don't buy her in super adult roles opposite people a lot older than her like John David Washington.

It makes it kinda tough because Zendaya is Meechee

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve been lurking this thread, but thanks for the Warrior suggestion. Just finished season 1. Lots of fun.

Also the only opening credits/theme song I don’t skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Anf2riXFw

I mean, come on :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I've never really enjoyed any Ghibli movies that weren't done by Hayao Miyazaki. But that was certainly not great. Between the animation, and the story, just mediocre all around. I just watched it, and it just sort of ended without going anywhere at all.

That’s pretty much what you’d expect from a Gorō Miyazaki movie. He just doesn’t even have half of his dad’s skill.

I feel for the dude though, that story of Hiyao walking out of Earthsea to have a smoke is kinda brutal.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel for the dude though, that story of Hiyao walking out of Earthsea to have a smoke is kinda brutal.

Holy gently caress, you weren't kidding

quote:

Miyazaki returned and watched the rest of the film. When it finished, he was asked for what he thought. He replied, “I saw my own child. He hasn’t become an adult. That’s all.”

Then, he paused and said, “It’s good that he made one movie. With that, he should stop [making movies].”

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I though I would watch some trash and put on Greenland. I managed to get to the insulin bit and that was enough for me.

Why was he Irish anyway?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Collateral posted:

I though I would watch some trash and put on Greenland. I managed to get to the insulin bit and that was enough for me.

Why was he Irish anyway?

Is this on one of the services now? It's the type of garbage I'll totally watch but not pay for.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Prime in the UK.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Collateral posted:

Why was he Irish anyway?

That's his natural Scottish accent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Princess Kagoya?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Sir Not Appearing posted:

That's his natural Scottish accent.

I'll take your word for it.

Does it get better after this? Like a more popcorn version of The Road?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Shageletic posted:

Princess Kagoya?

Princess Kaguya was done by Isao Takahata, aka "the guy from Studio Ghibli that isn't Miyazaki"

I like his stuff personally (he also did Grave Of the Fireflies) but he's definitely the John Oates of the duo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shageletic posted:

Princess Kagoya?

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. It's good?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I've never really enjoyed any Ghibli movies that weren't done by Hayao Miyazaki.
Only Yesterday? Grave of the Fireflies? Pom Poko? Whisper of the Heart?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Only Yesterday? Grave of the Fireflies? Pom Poko? Whisper of the Heart?

Of those, I've only seen Grave of Fireflies, but not in like 20 years.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I was really stoked thinking that Earwig was some kind of anime tribute or sequel to Hedwig. :(

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone watch space sweepers on Netflix yet? I'm dying to know if it's worth it. I'll probably check it out tomorrow.
I just finished Space Sweepers and it RULES. This is one of those sci-fi surprises where it won't get the heralding it deserves. If you like space anime, you'll like it because it's a live-action anime. It doesn't have the same tone but the closest comparison I can think of in other respects is that I think it's 2021's Jupiter Ascending.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Relevant to recent discussion: Goro Miyazaki on what makes a Studio Ghibli film: “I wish somebody could give me an answer”

(the article is way more positive than the title suggests, I just thought it was funny)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. It's good?

Brilliant. And you might need some tissues.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ted Lasso is so much better than I thought it would be, and I thought it was gonna be pretty good. It's just relentlessly positive and heartwarming while also being quite funny.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Watching Space Sweepers on NF now and it's alright I guess, but the line, "Ok now, gently caress off" said to a cop and the random fart noise as someone left the room just now (not sure who it was since I'm looking at this screen instead of the tv) both got pretty good laugh out of me.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The production design in Space Sweepers is incredible. During the first big action setpiece you see everybody piloting their various ships. In a Nu Trek, any Marvel movie or even the Expanse you'd have a slick touchscreen, off-the-shelf Thrustmaster or holographic whatever - but in this they've got these amazingly detailed monster joysticks that look straight out of Voltron. Towards the middle they visit a club which could very easily be Sheppard's favorite place on the Citadel.

The story is what you'd expect, I think 5 different languages are all kind of overlapping all the time and the action is pretty hard to follow at times, but its filled with really amazing details. It's kind of like firing up CP2077.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It'll crash my tv?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It'll crash my tv?

Only if you're trying to play it on a CRT

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh snap, HBO Max has Pushing Daisies now. Guess it's time for a rewatch!

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
gently caress yeah The White Tiger

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat, Antebellum is terrible.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Greenland is pretty good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
That Denzel Washington movie was loving dire. It wasn't fun. It wasn't interesting. It wasn't suspenseful.

I think we should set up a Kickstarter to fire Jared Leto into the sun. Or get him more fat dude/wasting disease roles so he has to put his aging health on the line for my amusement.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Space Sweepers was great. Production design was good yeah but also it had some great characterization and didnt pull any punches really, in a way unfamiliar to Western blockbusters

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ariza posted:

That Denzel Washington movie was loving dire. It wasn't fun. It wasn't interesting. It wasn't suspenseful.

This is generally how Denzel picks his roles ever since Training Day.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My wife and I binged half of Alone season 6 and lolled hard at the 50-something dude from Texas who mockingly talks to the trees and talks about how he's going to go bag a bear, then breaking his leg on a slippery rock in the first episode.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ariza posted:

I think we should set up a Kickstarter to fire Jared Leto into the sun. Or get him more fat dude/wasting disease roles so he has to put his aging health on the line for my amusement.

Was it just me, or the editing was terrible? I don't know, I just couldn't keep watching.

Also, Jared Leto got a few nominations for looking like a creep. :sigh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

District 9 is on Hulu. Haven't watched it in a while. Movie still slaps and Blomkamp hasn't made a better movie since. Dang.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Blomkamp was a more disappointing one-hit wonder than Shymalan. The visuals he made with a ridiculously low budget....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chappie is a masterpiece. Fuckmothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just came across Tenspeed and Brown Shoe on Prime Video, a series I had no idea existed before today. Sitcom from 1980 with hour-long episodes and Jeff Goldblum as a putzy PI with a conman partner, in case anyone wants to see his 40-years-younger self doing comedy and a little action.