Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Play posted:

It's funny that employers don't seem as concerned as they might about getting sued for failing to provide a safe environment for workers. I wonder if there will be more lawsuits in the future for long term effects or if they're just getting a free pass in effect

That’s one of the things that republican lawmakers keep trying to jam into all of the various COVID relief bills; immunity to employers from lawsuits from their employees for failing to take precautions to prevent the employees from getting infected. It’s as hosed up as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
I work in food production, and work essentially as a production manager duct taped to a logistics and warehousing manager.

Every month or so the CEO has a panic attack about something, joins our morning zoom stand up meeting to address production needs and concerns and to discuss the production schedule, and usually blows it up over some insane concern despite having no frame of reference for why things are being done in the way or the order they are being done in.

This happened today, but with a plan we had been on board with for three weeks, and have been working with for those three weeks. We are a week away from finishing this project for a large customer, and everything was on time and on schedule for delivery with all the safety checks in place. They joined in the last ten minutes, in a timeboxed fifteen minute meeting, to hear that we had to slot a couple of additional employees to smooth over some wrinkles and immediately started to question every aspect of the plan, up to asking for a total rescheduling of the production plan. This would have required a total refactor of every aspect of our pipeline and our schedule.

Fortunately, everyone but the CEO was already informed about the slight change, was on board with the plan, and HR diplomatically told the CEO to get hosed. I'm probably hearing about this on Monday.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ArbitraryC posted:

OTOH when you don't have stuff like there's inevitably incompetent but senior people who've phoned it in because they realize they'll never get another raise/promotion outside of years worked because they are in fact terrible at their job just hoisting all their responsibilities on the new and motivated people because the office is a team effort and management is just happy when work gets done, regardless of whether or not it's just all the newer underpaid people picking up all the slack of the guy that sits at his desk on a person call for 6 hours billing it as standby.

Extremely rude of you to call me out publicly like this

Slavik
May 10, 2009
I support a workforce doing street/housing maintenance. Dumb poo poo I've seen that I haven't blocked from my memory as my eyes rolled around in their sockets include:

Closed down an in house, uPVC window making factory/department and being shocked that it costs more to hire external contractors to produce and fit them.

Suspended with full pay for 6 months a group of 11 staff as part of an investigation that had forged timesheets, purchased and stolen equipment using company money. Found them all guilty but fired none of them.

Moved an entire depot that needed demolition and that services 30,000 properties from inside the city to outside the city boundary in a rented building that is smaller than requirements. Having less space for equipment and manpower. Renovated the building at a large cost which will cost just as much to put back when the lease expires. Not building a new fit for purpose depot on unused industrial land in the very middle of the city which was available, cheaper and more efficient to rapidly deploy the repair teams using the main road arteries anywhere they needed to go.

Sending constant mass emails to 300-2000 people and forgetting to use the blind carbon copy feature at least once a month so people do mass reply all's to point our errors and write "i want to unsubscribe" & "stop replying everyone".

Forcing the writing of a business case every time someone leaves before starting a recruitment process, even though there is an empty post that has been budgeted for which auto-renews each year. With the slowness of the recruitment process it takes 6 months at minimum to fill an empty post.

Offering 1% pay increases each year and assuming we are better off as they don't want to factor in the countries yearly inflation. Being shocked when strikes happen.

Deployed Microsoft Teams to everyone at the start of the pandemic (May 2020) without any training documents, sessions or training videos to many people who aren't all exactly computer literate. Sent out training links at the beginning of Jan 2021.

Once sent out an link for an anonymous questionnaire on what you think about management which requires signing in with your name and company details.

Asking us to join and use the workplace Facebook group for the business' latest news and updates when Facebook is blocked on company hardware. Eventually used and then removed Yammer when no one would sign up and use it.

12-15 years ago offering everyone with a work mobile the option to use it as their personal mobile if they paid for any personal calls and text messages (obviously before free minutes and text contracts were common). Expected one person to be able to itemise this for each employee using the monthly bill - cross referencing the time of day the calls/texts took place and checking if they were contacting work numbers or personal numbers. Said monthly bill was 300+ pages long and on paper. Said scheme lasted 2 months before it was quietly discontinued and forgotten about after the employee had a breakdown.

Uses Excel for everything instead of investing in specific to our needs and readily available database software.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Slavik posted:

12-15 years ago offering everyone with a work mobile the option to use it as their personal mobile if they paid for any personal calls and text messages (obviously before free minutes and text contracts were common). Expected one person to be able to itemise this for each employee using the monthly bill - cross referencing the time of day the calls/texts took place and checking if they were contacting work numbers or personal numbers. Said monthly bill was 300+ pages long and on paper. Said scheme lasted 2 months before it was quietly discontinued and forgotten about after the employee had a breakdown.

Holy lol this is dumbest thing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

1redflag posted:

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m just afraid we may be spreading misinformation one way or the other. I’d love to have some resident immunologist or vaccine scientist (or just a regular physician, whatever) put the issue to bed.

A friend who's an immunologist shared some evidence that the AstraZeneca vaccine slows transmission. It's still an open question as to whether all vaccines do that, but if one of them does that bodes well for the others.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ultrafilter posted:

A friend who's an immunologist shared some evidence that the AstraZeneca vaccine slows transmission. It's still an open question as to whether all vaccines do that, but if one of them does that bodes well for the others.

It helps to slow transmission, but the real question is whether the effective R value is less than one when people aren't taking precautions. If it's not, there's still a very big problem, because we can barely get people to wear masks WITHOUT a vaccine in this country.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I think it's pretty obvious after 'a bunch' of people have been vaccinated the majority of people will shout hooray we're done and Covid will be over. After that noone else will need to get vaccinated or wear masks coz we've got that heard immunity they read about it on Facebook and they'll get back to licking each others eyeballs.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm sorry dudes I didn't mean to make this thread spiral down the covid shithole my company is just really stupid.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
its been so long since anyones licked my eyeball :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ocean Book posted:

its been so long since anyones licked my eyeball :(

Have you lodged a complaint to HR?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A big part (the main part of my job before we had new management) of my job involves sampling water, bringing it to a lab that tests a variety of parameters, and organizing & reporting the data to the EPA. We've recently expanded a lot and reorganized the department. Im supposed to be training a new employee to sample so we can have some redundancy and I can handle other things. Theyre pretty unreliable and can't drive, so I basically just have an extra set of hands & still have to do everything else by myself.

My coworker, who is sort of a shadow supervisor (my boss gave them a raise and shoved most of his work onto them, but he still signs our time sheets) had taken an interest in my training the new employee and insisted I schedule sampling times around their schedule so they can attend as well. When this happened they wanted to go on a Friday, and I mentioned the lab won't take a certain sample in too late on Fridays because the processing requires an employee to work over the weekend. My boss boss heard this and said we should just get set up with a closer lab in the area that does work over the weekend so we can have more flexibility in sampling days (this isn't a real issue as we have Monday through Thursday, and Friday morning)

To use a different lab we have to amend an agreement we have with the EPA, so I emailed our EPA contact to see what we have to do for that. They got back to me now (several months later) detailing the process, which involves a cover letter, accreditation from the lab itself proving they can perform the needed tests to EPA standards, a copy of the labs manual, and editing of our agreement. Nowhere before did my boss actually mention the name of the lab, and it turns out that while the lab is accredited for the coliform test it doesn't do any of the other tests we would need (requiring a trip to the original lab anyway), and it doesn't even appear to serve the public. Its a lab for an industrial facility he used to work for and he was hoping he could set up an agreement with them to take our coliforms.

So to summarize: I'm training new employee to take over sampling. Coworker wanted me to change sampling days so they can supervise training. The sampling day they wanted doesn't work due to our labs schedule. My boss suggested a new lab to allow more flexibility. The process for being able to use this new lab requires a lot of paperwork, and the new lab can't do any of our other tests, requiring us to use the original lab regardless.

I told them I don't see the point of pursuing this further.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe the mistake was initially pretending what the supervisor wanted was even possible. I'm forced to continually learn the 'give and inch they'll take a mile' lesson, it's hard to learn when to just shut poo poo down immediately because each request in incrementally reasonable until you're wasting a full day a week pandering to some dumb poo poo you shouldn't have to be worrying about.

There's got to be a happy medium between 'be a complete prick and say no to everything always' and 'be a complete pushover' but it's hard to find.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Outrail posted:

Maybe the mistake was initially pretending what the supervisor wanted was even possible. I'm forced to continually learn the 'give and inch they'll take a mile' lesson, it's hard to learn when to just shut poo poo down immediately because each request in incrementally reasonable until you're wasting a full day a week pandering to some dumb poo poo you shouldn't have to be worrying about.

There's got to be a happy medium between 'be a complete prick and say no to everything always' and 'be a complete pushover' but it's hard to find.

At the end of my most recent review, my boss (one of the owners of the company at the time) asked me if I had any feedback about his managing style, things I liked, disliked, etc. I told him the main thing I was happy about was the ability to tell him when his ideas are terrible. He may not always end up using my suggestion, but he at least listened with no bias if I explained why something he wanted to do wouldn't work, or was just a flat out stupid idea.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I didnt really know the details of amending our agreement or the tests provided by the new lab prior, though I did think it was a waste of time to try to do all this just to accommodate someone else's schedule. If the new lab could do all the tests we needed it would be worth it to save driving time, but as is this whole things a dud.

Truthfully I have no direction and little to do anyway, so most of the time I don't say no because I need to find something to do to fill the day.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My work just rehired my abusive Ex-Gf.

Sick.

Don't date coworkers or do I don't care I'm not your dad.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Saalkin posted:

Sick.

My friend has worked food service in SF for years and hes left several jobs because he dated a coworker, it didn't work out, and he didn't want to see them any more

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Makes me glad my personality repulses everyone I work with, no chance of any of that sort of unpleasantness. Sorry Great Rack guy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I dated one coworker, luckily she left before we broke up, coz otherwise that would have been messy with half the office taking sides (read:hating my guts).

Date them after one of you quits, or make sure both parties are cool enough to not give a poo poo what happens.

If you do have to get drunk and hook up at a work party, try to avoid having sex in a tent with a dozen of your coworkers (including your ex-GF) standing around making comments. Luckily management never found out about that or he'd have been called out at the next Christmas party. Australian work culture used to be very chill about some things.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Saalkin posted:

Sick.

Get back into the relationship and abuse her back then dump her

Tit for tat, the world in perfect balance

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Or start documenting every interaction. If she's abusive she'll do something fireable eventually.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I applied for a new job internally today because I'm sick of the dumb poo poo my boss does and would happily dump the poo poo off on him that only I knew how to do. I hate that time between sending in the application and waiting for my boss to find out that I did :ohdear:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The department I used to work in years ago got told off by management for taking two hours at the pub every Thursday lunchtime. "makes us all look bad" they said

when the yearly reviews came in from customers there was literally only ever one department that ever had positive feedback and it was ours, so every year the same people that would try to put a stop to thirsty thursdy's would also have to start the customer feedback all-of-IT briefing with "once again, <department> is the exception to the rule, being the only one scoring higher than a 7 average..."

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

explosivo posted:

I applied for a new job internally today because I'm sick of the dumb poo poo my boss does and would happily dump the poo poo off on him that only I knew how to do. I hate that time between sending in the application and waiting for my boss to find out that I did :ohdear:

drat, nice! I can't apply to anything internally without my boss approving it.

Well, I can, but when the hiring manager calls my current one and is like "hey about your dude" and the response is "my dude did WHAT now!?" . . . I am PROBABLY not getting that job, and I'm sure some remark would be in my record forever.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
At my last job I recall one of my coworkers applying for a transfer to one of the downtown offices. Our boss spiked his reference when the downtown boss called him up about the transfer. He didn't want to be bothered asking HQ to send us a replacement if my coworker got the transfer approved :/

That same boss got hired by the company we were contracted to. His income immediately doubled and then he had myself and another coworker removed from the site, and then dismissed from the company. The bad guys win.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Charles Bukowski posted:

At my last job I recall one of my coworkers applying for a transfer to one of the downtown offices. Our boss spiked his reference when the downtown boss called him up about the transfer. He didn't want to be bothered asking HQ to send us a replacement if my coworker got the transfer approved :/

That same boss got hired by the company we were contracted to. His income immediately doubled and then he had myself and another coworker removed from the site, and then dismissed from the company. The bad guys win.

Something similar happened to my brother. "We told the local government that we'd maintain a certain headcount here; I can't let you go because we're in a hiring freeze right now."

A couple calls to recruiters and a month later, he was outta there for a place that offered him a 50% bump.

Seriously, what does management THINK is going to happen if they say something like that? smh

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's almost an identical situation where I am right now, there's a "Pay raise freeze" until the middle or end of the year which to be fair is of no fault of my boss' but we're all already 2 years overdue on performance reviews/raises and have since ticked over to "well once pay raises open back up if you all deserve raises you can get them" despite busting our asses over these last 2 years to get the company to a point where it's more profitable than it's ever been and had a goddamn superbowl commercial this year. They tried to say "The freeze also means people can't change departments" but we're actively looking to hire new people for our department and there's like 3 pages of jobs listed on the website so gently caress it I put in an application.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

abigserve posted:

The department I used to work in years ago got told off by management for taking two hours at the pub every Thursday lunchtime. "makes us all look bad" they said

when the yearly reviews came in from customers there was literally only ever one department that ever had positive feedback and it was ours, so every year the same people that would try to put a stop to thirsty thursdy's would also have to start the customer feedback all-of-IT briefing with "once again, <department> is the exception to the rule, being the only one scoring higher than a 7 average..."

Lmao been there, yep. I took care of my engineering team (who managed backend order fulfillment and some accounting processes) better than the other lead did (who managed the front end ecommerce website that fed my systems), and I was frequently told to fall in line or to take notes from how the other team did, and yet stakeholders across the board preferred working with us because my team was way, way more pleasant to work with and our work was better managed and we produced way better quality output. The front end team were either a) nepotism hires / people who went to the same megachurch, b) people who were profoundly stupid but capable of writing code that compiled, so management thought they were geniuses, or c) people who were genuinely talented but desperate for work because of short resumes, signed on, and immediately became miserable and wanted to jump to my side lol

I remember once during Christmas time, which was suuuuuuper slow for us since we didn't really sell gift-able things, I dragged a rolling TV into our cube area and set up Wii Sports on it, telling the team that whenever they felt like it, go play around. We'd had a great year and they were mostly caught up on work and very little new stuff was coming down. I got torn into by the president of the company for that one! He was a notorious "no remote work, 8 hours in your seat or you're not working, and all of you are entirely replaceable" type. The director, my boss, once told me that 8 hours a day / 40 a week was baseline, and if you wanted to show you were a valuable contributor, you needed to work beyond that. By that time I was so beaten down it just added to the pile, but man oh man. Add to it that everyone was chronically underpaid, and it's no wonder that job hosed me up as bad as it did. It was my first high paying job out of college, and coming from a poor background, I kept with it 9 years. Lots of people I worked with were similar.

Management also hated our old IT guy, who I ended up becoming best friends with, for similar reasons. He was way, way too qualified for that place and didn't keep his mouth shut when management interfered and made bad decisions as far as infrastructure went. We would routinely walk down to the mexican restaurant near the office and put back a few margaritas on lunch, god it made that job more pleasant lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I always feel anxious before our weekly check in meetings because I'm worried ill be scrutinized too closely for how I've been spending my time while working remote. Its never been an issue before but hey, tell my brain that

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

titty_baby_ posted:

I always feel anxious before our weekly check in meetings because I'm worried ill be scrutinized too closely for how I've been spending my time while working remote. Its never been an issue before but hey, tell my brain that

lol I get the same feeling. I definitely get at least the same amount of work done since I’ve been WFH. But instead of wasting time in the ways you do it at the office, I watch TV or whatever so it feels weird.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It was determined through a company wide survey that everyone is feeling overworked, so the solution that the consultancy came up with was to have more meetings to discuss everyone’s workload :psyduck:. Yay more bullshit time suck meetings!

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

titty_baby_ posted:

I’ve been out of my old bad job (where I actually would get excessively scrutinized on a weekly basis and side-eyed whenever I (very infrequently) requested WFH for reasons like taking delivery of a mattress) for almost a year and a half, and I still get anxious before weekly meetings (and quarterly reviews) at my new job even though my new job has been overall very happy with my performance and keeps giving me raises and poo poo. It’s a deep-seated fear that’s very hard to shake.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Queen Victorian posted:

I’ve been out of my old bad job (where I actually would get excessively scrutinized on a weekly basis and side-eyed whenever I (very infrequently) requested WFH for reasons like taking delivery of a mattress) for almost a year and a half, and I still get anxious before weekly meetings (and quarterly reviews) at my new job even though my new job has been overall very happy with my performance and keeps giving me raises and poo poo. It’s a deep-seated fear that’s very hard to shake.

This, 1000%.

I had a boss once where even though every single weekly meeting was great, come year-end review, I "didn't do enough" and "maybe should manage my time better". Like, we met every week on what I was doing, progress, roadblocks, etc. HOW!!?!?!

That's long in the past, but I still get anxious for 1:1 meetings still because of all of that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Vent alert!!!

A manager, to me, today: “you basically come in, put your headphones in, do your work and speak as little as possible. You don’t say good morning or you’re leaving for the day and you’re very negative and cold”

I’m not here to make friends and I’m not paid to be nice. I’m paid to do my job and do it well, and my actual manager, along with HQ, seem pretty pleased with what I do. I don’t have time for run around sales nonsense which, when me and only one other person aren’t sales, and everyone else is, I don’t know what to tell you?

I got dinged for not pitching in with helping the office be reorganized and like we paid workers to do build desks and set poo poo up, god forbid I...do...my job...during the work day? Even the fact I didn’t offer was a grave offense.

Additionally all of the sales team gets to work from home which I didn’t find out until I came in Monday morning and no one told me whoops. I’m never told anything, I have to find out poo poo. But it’s ok I’m not sales and I can sit in the back and work and gently caress, even that was the wrong thing to do!!! I was to mind read and know that I was to offer help and be courteously denied and ugh what the gently caress?

And the stinger: I’m called out for not working well with the sales team. Meanwhile myself and the other non sales person, as of today, are not allowed to participated in sales related incentives and now get our own special incentives which, as our jobs aren’t based on figures we can directly affect, just merely doing what we do...arbitrary nonsense.

I’ve been with this place for a few years and never have I been excluded from any incentive based on my position, but now I and the other non-sales person are...now asked to be more part of the team but also not.

I really love what I actually do, and think get along well with everyone regardless of department, or at least try to make sure to help when needed and not some mindreader bullshit. I want sales to do well and I do things to ensure that it not only goes well for just them, but for other areas of the org as well. I don’t see hesitation in salespeople approaching me, and I try to emphasize with them when poo poo goes south or when a non sales department isn’t making it easy. I’m not coddling, I’m not docile and overly nice, because these people deserve to work with me and not something to lull them.

My actual acting manager pointed out that the criticisms I received today are kinda sexist-coded nonsense and to not really take it too personally. It calmed me down a lot but gently caress, I know why I’m getting these criticisms, which have nothing to do with me, and more to do with a pervasively unbalanced organization that is infecting the parts that do work well.

and scene

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Yr actual manager sounds kind of cool at least

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Without knowing your situation, that did sound like it had sexist undertones, even before I read your last part where your actual manager mentioned it. It reeked of it tbh

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Tetramin posted:

lol I get the same feeling. I definitely get at least the same amount of work done since I’ve been WFH. But instead of wasting time in the ways you do it at the office, I watch TV or whatever so it feels weird.

I do much less at home because at the office we often ended up finding random bullshit to do (reorganizing rooms, catching up on filing, etc) and my boss would also rope us in to tasks the other departments didn't want to do. My job is kind of weird in that its grant funded and the way the work plans have been written theres not really that much to do, and we've had to push a lot of stuff back to the next cycle due to covid.

My department and organization as a whole is very chaotic and ive sort of fallen through the cracks. I'm left out of pretty much any department planning and my boss has ADD or something and never follows through with coordinating with me, while simultaneously saying hell take care of a bunch of things relevant to my position. The rest of the department assumes hes gonna leave or get canned within the year, which would make my control freak coworker the next in line until they get a replacement.

I check every job board in my area every morning. At this point I'm considering working for the post office or doing cannabis work just to get out of here.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Our CEO just sent out a blast saying that the FTC does not require us to put hoity toity gibberish like city, state and zip code of the business on our packaging and that we shouldn't get carried away with "compliance" for "compliance's" sake. REALLY HATE THIS INDUSTRY.

THANKS FOR THE LOSING POWERBALL AND MEGA MILLIONS HASHEM. YOU ONLY BETRAYED JESUS ONCE, YOU gently caress ME TWICE A WEEK.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Picking which grant to allocate my time to as I go on a leisurely walk through the hills with my gf and my work phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

"hm, doesn't sound feasible to me... i'll have to take a look at this and circle back to you"

then do nothing for at least a day, maybe longer, as long as it takes to make it seem like you've really put some thought into it

if they aren't bothering you about it in this time, it must not be terribly important

then give them the original answer. "thanks for your patience as i looked at this. i determined that there really isn't any way to..." blah blah blah