Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kazr posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on the sub $100 burner prepaid phones? I bought an LG Phoenix 4 a year ago and love having a piece of poo poo I don't need to care about. The screen cracked and it's getting to the point where I'm going to need another soon. My biggest complaint with the Phoenix 4 is low storage and no expansion options. Looks like the Phoenix 5 has an SD card expansion.

Country/Provider: US / AT&T

Current contract status: monthly

Budget (phone/plan): $100, hopefully less than $60

Features I know I want: basic poo poo any smart phone available will have

Any of these cheap phones better than the other?

At this level the only things you need to worry about are RAM and internal storage. I'd imagine it's certainly true that some are better than others and I'd further suppose that the differences are larger than at the high end (since there is a wider variety of specs, OEM skins, preinstalled apps which degrade performance while subsidizing the price, installed OS versions, and lastly a little difference goes a long way at the low end so any one thing can make a budget phone run like poo poo ).

Unfortunately what you aren't going to find is any meaningful testing telling you one is better than another. I'd probably try to stay away from known backdoored Chinaphones like BLU or what have you, but really you don't care about security or privacy anyway.

You could also see if you could find a decent better phone on Swappa in your price range if you want a little more... whatever paying more gets you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Phone cases - how the gently caress do you buy them?
I just ordered a refurb pixel 4XL and I need a case. I try searching amazon and I get a billion sponsored obnoxious looking piece of poo poo.

Is there a consensus on who makes a decent case? I don't want something that looks tacticool or has pictures of my waifu on the back, just something clear that will stop my phone from breaking when I drop it on its corner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I searched Amazon for "Pixel 4 XL clear case" and see plenty. Spigen is fine and inexpensive.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Turds in magma posted:

Phone cases - how the gently caress do you buy them?
I just ordered a refurb pixel 4XL and I need a case. I try searching amazon and I get a billion sponsored obnoxious looking piece of poo poo.

Is there a consensus on who makes a decent case? I don't want something that looks tacticool or has pictures of my waifu on the back, just something clear that will stop my phone from breaking when I drop it on its corner.

I generally just grab the Otterbox Symmetry for whatever phone I have. Simple design and good protection. I've tried other cases but always end up coming back to this one.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding Spigen. I''ve used them for years. Cheap, good quality, and enough protection for everyday drops. Most people do not need Otterbox level protection anymore now that phones are actually durable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kazr posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on the sub $100 burner prepaid phones? I bought an LG Phoenix 4 a year ago and love having a piece of poo poo I don't need to care about. The screen cracked and it's getting to the point where I'm going to need another soon. My biggest complaint with the Phoenix 4 is low storage and no expansion options. Looks like the Phoenix 5 has an SD card expansion.

Country/Provider: US / AT&T

Current contract status: monthly

Budget (phone/plan): $100, hopefully less than $60

Features I know I want: basic poo poo any smart phone available will have

Any of these cheap phones better than the other?

If you can stretch to $140 for a Nokia 2.4, it's a much better phone than any of those.

Otherwise, the Nokia 1.3 at $99 or Moto E 2020 model which goes on sale for $99 often are the decent options for that cheap.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Thirding Spigen. Decently priced and good protection.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Awesome, thanks everyone. yeah I know I can just search "clear case" but there's no way to distinguish. I'll go with the Spigen

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best current phone I can get for under $200?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Honestly if that's your budget go to Swappa and see what you can do with it. It'll be better than what you can buy new.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I got my mom a Motorola Moto G Power after she cracked the screen on her Pixel 3a and she likes it as much as her Pixel. The 32 gb is $199 and the 64 gb $249 but it goes on sale fairly often.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

regulargonzalez posted:

I got my mom a Motorola Moto G Power after she cracked the screen on her Pixel 3a and she likes it as much as her Pixel. The 32 gb is $199 and the 64 gb $249 but it goes on sale fairly often.

Same with my mom (minus having had a Pixel, it's her first smartphone (minus a Windows Phone she had for a tiny bit)). The camera is poo poo, but she doesn't seem to care/notice.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Country/Provider: US (CA, LA/SF), T-Mobile / Sprint

Current contract status: T-Mobile: PAYG, Sprint: family plan

Budget (phone/plan): $150 or less?

Features I know I want: Data. I guess people can call if they want to make it weird. Also would like to carrier unlock wife's Sprint iPhone.

I've had T-Mobile's $30 5GB plan for like 6 years (back when you got an extra GB/mo by getting a SIM at walmart), now a $40 / 10GB plan and basically only use it for data with an unlocked iPhone. Wife has a iPhone X from her family's Sprint plan she's been paying $76/mo for. She'd like to get out of that plan and consolidate our phone plans if possible, and her phone lease is up. She can buy out her phone for $200.

I'm looking to either consolidate us under the same plan, or just get her a pay-as-you-go. Some other caveats: My family lives in europe, so we'd like her to be able to swap SIMs when we're over there so she doesn't keep bugging me to be able to tether - is this possible after we unlock a Sprint iPhone X?

Coverage-wise, I'm fairly happy with T-Mobile except for when we go to her parents, where only Verizon works.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks! I checked out the models at Best Buy and this does seem to be the only one in that price range that doesn't feel like a budget phone.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Hey guys, I’m looking for a cheaper wireless plan.

USA

Phones:
We have our own iPhones

My partner and I both use < 1gb of data combined. We’re paying ~$55+tax right now for Google Fi. We rarely use our phones while not on wifi, mostly just while running errands. (Even in non-plague times)
Mint Mobile seems pretty nice at $15/month each (3gb), but I’ve seen mention of Mobi (never heard of them before) as well. Any of you have experiences with Mint? Any other suggestions?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sorry for the completely wrong direction:

Is there an IP / desk phone thread or appropriate place to ask about such things?

I'm looking to setup Google Voice on a desk phone for work and hoping to ask some questions (short version: what should I get?) but don't see a thread.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Okay, quick question for the phone plan geniuses in the thread: I'm about to start a new job, and I want a separate work phone for this job (they pay me enough that I'm willing to deal with this instead of them covering the phone cost). I have Project Fi for my carrier currently, so since I'll be using the phone on WiFi at my work site, really it's going to cost me $15/month. Google Fi currently sells the Moto G Power for $50... but only if you port a number over; if you're getting a new number, it's $250. My plan is to sign up for Ting with an old phone, get a number from them, then port the number to Google Fi and order the new Moto G Power. Are there systems in place to prevent me from doing this, or am I going to run into any substantial hiccups? Or is there an easier way of doing this I'm not seeing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Okay, quick question for the phone plan geniuses in the thread: I'm about to start a new job, and I want a separate work phone for this job (they pay me enough that I'm willing to deal with this instead of them covering the phone cost). I have Project Fi for my carrier currently, so since I'll be using the phone on WiFi at my work site, really it's going to cost me $15/month. Google Fi currently sells the Moto G Power for $50... but only if you port a number over; if you're getting a new number, it's $250. My plan is to sign up for Ting with an old phone, get a number from them, then port the number to Google Fi and order the new Moto G Power. Are there systems in place to prevent me from doing this, or am I going to run into any substantial hiccups? Or is there an easier way of doing this I'm not seeing?

Nah , that’ll work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay, a more complicated question: instead of doing the above, my dad is looking to get off of Google Fi, so: I think what I want to do is migrate all three of us over a Verizon contract plan, additionally migrate their landline to a new Verizon line.

Google currently has a deal where you can get a Pixel 4a for free with a new or transferred phone line on Verizon (requires a two-year contract and credit checks, but my credit is 800ish). I'd like to just do that four times (replacing both of my parents' Moto X4s, and then getting a Pixel 4a each for their landline and my net new work phone line). I think if I get two Start Unlimited plans for the landline and work phone, and three Play More Unlimited plans for our actual phones, then sign up for the Verizon credit card, paper-free billing, and auto pay, I think this comes out to $130 a month plus taxes and fees.

So, if I migrate my phone over from Fi to Verizon, then just order the phones through Google attached to my newly-created Verizon account, will it automatically knock down the per-line price as I get more lines? And when will that take effect, after a month, or will it pro-rate for the rest of the current month if I do it immediately?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Okay, a more complicated question: instead of doing the above, my dad is looking to get off of Google Fi, so: I think what I want to do is migrate all three of us over a Verizon contract plan, additionally migrate their landline to a new Verizon line.

Google currently has a deal where you can get a Pixel 4a for free with a new or transferred phone line on Verizon (requires a two-year contract and credit checks, but my credit is 800ish). I'd like to just do that four times (replacing both of my parents' Moto X4s, and then getting a Pixel 4a each for their landline and my net new work phone line). I think if I get two Start Unlimited plans for the landline and work phone, and three Play More Unlimited plans for our actual phones, then sign up for the Verizon credit card, paper-free billing, and auto pay, I think this comes out to $130 a month plus taxes and fees.

So, if I migrate my phone over from Fi to Verizon, then just order the phones through Google attached to my newly-created Verizon account, will it automatically knock down the per-line price as I get more lines? And when will that take effect, after a month, or will it pro-rate for the rest of the current month if I do it immediately?

Ok , few things

5 lines the rates would be
Start: $30 a line
Play: $40 a line

So $40 * 3 + $30 * 2 = $180. Not sure where you are getting $130 from. If anyone in the family is Military, Nurse, First Responder or Teacher, knock another $20 off (total, not each), so possibly $160.

You are correct, Verizon credit card on autopay gets the autopay discount, otherwise is $40-50 a line.

If you order lines separately , they do start discounting down to the lower per line rate as you add them, so you are correct there.

I don’t quite understand the promo. Google will give you a credit if you switch to Verizon ? It likely is your order the phones via Google saying you are switching to Verizon. Or at least I would think so. So you would want to make sure whether you need to be ordering via Google as a new customer to Verizon, or if an upgrade is fine. Normally, once you switch, any company then sees you as “existing” when you then try to buy something, but I haven’t interacted with Google so I’m not sure there.

Verizon has the Pixel 4a free through them, although it’s a credit over 2 years (so the phone is $16-16 = $0 over 24 months).

Post any follow up questions. Order via where is best for you , if you happen to order via the Verizon website, and want a referral code, feel free to PM me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok , few things

5 lines the rates would be
Start: $30 a line
Play: $40 a line

So $40 * 3 + $30 * 2 = $180. Not sure where you are getting $130 from. If anyone in the family is Military, Nurse, First Responder or Teacher, knock another $20 off (total, not each), so possibly $160.

You are correct, Verizon credit card on autopay gets the autopay discount, otherwise is $40-50 a line.

If you order lines separately , they do start discounting down to the lower per line rate as you add them, so you are correct there.

I don’t quite understand the promo. Google will give you a credit if you switch to Verizon ? It likely is your order the phones via Google saying you are switching to Verizon. Or at least I would think so. So you would want to make sure whether you need to be ordering via Google as a new customer to Verizon, or if an upgrade is fine. Normally, once you switch, any company then sees you as “existing” when you then try to buy something, but I haven’t interacted with Google so I’m not sure there.

Verizon has the Pixel 4a free through them, although it’s a credit over 2 years (so the phone is $16-16 = $0 over 24 months).

Post any follow up questions. Order via where is best for you , if you happen to order via the Verizon website, and want a referral code, feel free to PM me.
Oooohh, poo poo, okay, I thought the Verizon credit card $10/line was its own separate discount. Those misleading sons of bitches.

I was not aware of that military discount, and have signed up for it. Good to know I can get the same free Pixel deal through Verizon. Thanks for the help, Duckman.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Provider/Plan: Verizon - One of the unlimited flavors

Having a rather annoying issue with my Pixel 3 where screen flashes at SUPER BRIGHTNESS when I turn the screen off, then again when there's any notification. At one point it started to flash constantly and I had to do a factory reset which fixed that problem, but not the core problem. I'm at the point now were I'm pretty much ready to get a new phone to replace it but as I've had issues with both the original Pixel and now this one, I'm somewhat disinclined to yet another google phone.

What's a good deal right now for what Verizon offers? I'm fully upgrade eligible at this point and I tend to use this phone fairly regularly. Main thing is that it should be a phone that is at least competent at being a wifi hotspot as due to my work I'm occasionally away from regular WiFi but need to be able to get online. Not much of a camera user though I do watch videos semi-regularly.

Nothing more than $35/month (not including the $20 smartphone luxury fee)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

Provider/Plan: Verizon - One of the unlimited flavors

Having a rather annoying issue with my Pixel 3 where screen flashes at SUPER BRIGHTNESS when I turn the screen off, then again when there's any notification. At one point it started to flash constantly and I had to do a factory reset which fixed that problem, but not the core problem. I'm at the point now were I'm pretty much ready to get a new phone to replace it but as I've had issues with both the original Pixel and now this one, I'm somewhat disinclined to yet another google phone.

What's a good deal right now for what Verizon offers? I'm fully upgrade eligible at this point and I tend to use this phone fairly regularly. Main thing is that it should be a phone that is at least competent at being a wifi hotspot as due to my work I'm occasionally away from regular WiFi but need to be able to get online. Not much of a camera user though I do watch videos semi-regularly.

Nothing more than $35/month (not including the $20 smartphone luxury fee)

Some customers have trade in promos , so you can call in and check to see if they will give a decent trade in on your Pixel towards a S21.

If you have a $20 a month line fee, you have the old unlimited plan. Some promos require you to go to the new unlimited plans. Whether they’re the same rate or not depends on how many lines and whether you do autopay with checking account. So my question is are you ok with autopay with checking account and how many lines do you have ?

Phone wise the S21 would be the best upgrade android wise, it’s just whether you can get the $33 a month price point down to say, $15 a month. I think you could with trade in, but you may have to move to the new plans.

Let me know, feel free to post here or PM.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, I was wrong about the $20 fee. Working on old memory in that regard as both phones on our account have the new plan types.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, I was wrong about the $20 fee. Working on old memory in that regard as both phones on our account have the new plan types.

Oh word. Yeah I think you can get a trade in promo as long as you are on the Play More or Do More.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit; figured it out

well why not fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 13, 2021

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
What's the cheapest way to "store" a phone number? I don't want to lose a 212 number but I don't need it right now, if I sign up for a BYOD prepaid plan can I just port it then park it there and never use the minutes?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Keep in mind that Verizon also has taxes and fees they tack on and last I looked they added up to about $7 per line

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't care about getting a ludicrous amount of spam and all your info sold, new HSN customers get $15-20 off and Tracfone ends up being $30-50ish for a SIM with 1500 minutes per year (per year, not per month), a free phone locked to Tracfone loaded with spyware, and a bullshit rewards programme that lets you get another 6-12 months for free. If you end up randomly allocated a SIM that is not Verizon resold, you can just take the SIM out and use it on any phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

What's the cheapest way to "store" a phone number? I don't want to lose a 212 number but I don't need it right now, if I sign up for a BYOD prepaid plan can I just port it then park it there and never use the minutes?

Google voice.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I'm on an LG G6 that's started randomly turning off for low battery when it still has >20% charge. It's fine for these exist-at-home times but still a bit annoying. I'm looking at the Pixel 4a because it looks like it hits a nice price-performance sweetspot and I prefer smallish phones.

Is it worth considering the 4a 5G or waiting for a 5a down the line? I don't particularly care about 5G right now but my history suggests I'll keep this phone for 2-3 years, so I'd like to futureproof to some extent and I don't follow phone tech enough to know when 5G will actually matter. The Pixel 5 seems like it's not worth it value-wise and the OnePlus Nord N10 seems bigger than I'd like, but I'm open to opinions.

I don't really care about a headphone jack and waterproofing would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker if it's missing.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 21, 2021

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My current phone has finally stopped charging, no matter how much I jiggle the cable (I even made an elastic charging harness for it, which worked for a while).

For my last couple of phones, I ended up buying something quite high spec, but ended up paying for processing power I never came close to fully using. I'm not going to be using this one for anything remotely intensive, so I'm perfectly happy to buy something a little bit older if it ticks all the right boxes. I'd prefer to stay with Android. 4G has barely reached the area, so I doubt we'll be seeing 5G anytime soon This is what I'm looking for in descending order of importance:

Compact size
Build quality and durability
Battery life
Decent camera would be nice, but not essential.

I'll be buying handset-only in the UK. Budget isn't really an issue as I'm not really spending money on anything else right now, but cheaper would be better so long as I'm not sacrificing build quality.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Country/Provider: USA, Colorado

Current contract status: NA

Budget (plan): $150 or less for two lines?

Features I know I want: Coverage/price/data

My wife and I are moving to Denver for a job change. She's currently on Sprint, I have a work phone on AT&T through work and will finally have to pay for my own phone/plan. I'm primarily looking for reasons to choose between Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile/Sprint for two lines. We have iphones and plan on continuing to use them. We travel internationally a few times a year, but can just buy SIM cards there if needed. We currently pay for both Hulu as well as HBO. I've never been on Verizon, but it looks like this might be a good reason to jump ship for both of us?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Country/Provider: USA, Colorado

Current contract status: NA

Budget (plan): $150 or less for two lines?

Features I know I want: Coverage/price/data

My wife and I are moving to Denver for a job change. She's currently on Sprint, I have a work phone on AT&T through work and will finally have to pay for my own phone/plan. I'm primarily looking for reasons to choose between Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile/Sprint for two lines. We have iphones and plan on continuing to use them. We travel internationally a few times a year, but can just buy SIM cards there if needed. We currently pay for both Hulu as well as HBO. I've never been on Verizon, but it looks like this might be a good reason to jump ship for both of us?

What iPhones do the two of you have , and what iPhones do you want ? It sounds like you will have to buy a phone, so Verizon has a BOGO going through end of the month.

Plan: the full BOGO you have to be on the premium plan, which is Play More Unlimited.

For two lines: $70 + $70 = $140
-requires autopay with checking account (or Verizon credit card), otherwise it’s $160.
-it’s unlimited data, with 25GB each of premium (no throttling on congested towers) data. 15GB hotspot. You get Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ included.
-iPhones: buy one get one free. So if you do two iphone 12s, it’s $33 for the first one over 2 years, $0 for the second. 12 Pro is $42 for the first one, $0 for the second one. Etc.

Alternatively, if she wants to keep her phone, Verizon has a bring your own device promo of $300 gift card, and the iPhone SE is free for a new line. So that depends on what iPhones you want.

If either of you are: Military, First Responder, Teacher or Nurse, you get $20 off a month.

Phones purchased via Verizon are automatically unlocked after 61 days of use.

So yeah, the plan can be around what you are looking for, with cost of 2 new phones a little over.

Any questions let me know here, on the Verizon thread or PM me. If you would like a referral code PM me and I can give you one of those too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Duckman2008 posted:

What iPhones do the two of you have , and what iPhones do you want ? It sounds like you will have to buy a phone, so Verizon has a BOGO going through end of the month.

Plan: the full BOGO you have to be on the premium plan, which is Play More Unlimited.

For two lines: $70 + $70 = $140
-requires autopay with checking account (or Verizon credit card), otherwise it’s $160.
-it’s unlimited data, with 25GB each of premium (no throttling on congested towers) data. 15GB hotspot. You get Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ included.
-iPhones: buy one get one free. So if you do two iphone 12s, it’s $33 for the first one over 2 years, $0 for the second. 12 Pro is $42 for the first one, $0 for the second one. Etc.

Alternatively, if she wants to keep her phone, Verizon has a bring your own device promo of $300 gift card, and the iPhone SE is free for a new line. So that depends on what iPhones you want.

If either of you are: Military, First Responder, Teacher or Nurse, you get $20 off a month.

Phones purchased via Verizon are automatically unlocked after 61 days of use.

So yeah, the plan can be around what you are looking for, with cost of 2 new phones a little over.

Any questions let me know here, on the Verizon thread or PM me. If you would like a referral code PM me and I can give you one of those too.

This is perfect, thanks!

She has an iPhone 10, I have an iPhone 11 Pro. Would we have to buy phones if we went from Sprint/ATT to Verizon? I was hoping to hold off until the new ones come out if possible since this doesn't happen until the summer. Knowing that, does it still make sense to go with the $140 plan?

edit: Hah, looks like Verizon excludes physicians from the discount, while AT&T includes them.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 24, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

This is perfect, thanks!

She has an iPhone 10, I have an iPhone 11 Pro. Would we have to buy phones if we went from Sprint/ATT to Verizon? I was hoping to hold off until the new ones come out if possible since this doesn't happen until the summer. Knowing that, does it still make sense to go with the $140 plan?

edit: Hah, looks like Verizon excludes physicians from the discount, while AT&T includes them.

Yeah, you could use your same phones on any carrier, just make sure they are unlocked.

FYI the $300 BYOD requires switching a line from another carrier.

And yeah, of course where you go is up to you. But any help on Verizon I’m around.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I kind of really want a Galaxy S21 Ultra. I'm on a no-contract pre-paid plan for $27/month with 5 gb of data, which is about right for my usage. I'm happy to change to any provider, I just want the cheapest total cost of ownership (plan + phone) over a 2 year period, so if Verizon or whoever has a more expensive plan but they give a big discount on the handset, that's fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I kind of really want a Galaxy S21 Ultra. I'm on a no-contract pre-paid plan for $27/month with 5 gb of data, which is about right for my usage. I'm happy to change to any provider, I just want the cheapest total cost of ownership (plan + phone) over a 2 year period, so if Verizon or whoever has a more expensive plan but they give a big discount on the handset, that's fine.

Your plan is gonna jump up way more than it would be worth it. All 3 have plans around $70-80 a month, so even assuming there is a discount, it won’t be worth it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you're paying for only your own line, it is basically always cheaper to purchase the phone outright and use a pre-paid plan. Maybe not much cheaper, but I'd rather just bite the bullet and purchase the phone all at once vs. having a monthly bill that is double or more what a pre-paid plan costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the info. I ended up spreadsheet'ing it out. There's a million ways to do it which makes it a pain. ATT would give me $800 for my OnePlus 7Pro trade in (about $325 more than I paid for it?) but even with my ATT employer discount it ended up being more expensive over the 30 month term than buying it for $999 from Best Buy and sticking with h2o wireless. Plus I can sell my phone on swappa (or keep it for biking / skiing days), plus I live in Shithole USA and won't get 5g for a year or two, so no point upgrading from h2o's LTE service.

So I ended up doing that. My last two phones were OnePlus so it's nice having an actual decent camera, and the zoom is pretty slick.