Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah, as a bit player he was a perfectly fine dude and brought something to the story, Isayama could have simply sidelined him after that point. But he didn't, instead Floch got this depressingly realistic negative character arc that I'd say is just as effective as Gabi's in terms of conveying how hosed up things are for Eldians.

I like how surviving the suicide charge (and witnessing the direct aftermath) turned him openly bitter and cynical, and his distrust of the military government is perfectly understandable seeing them spinning their wheels on how to tackle the outside world.

For all his flaws he wasn't merely a selfs-serving rear end in a top hat, either - he went out using the last of his strength to try and save Paradis, even his last words being appeals to the traitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sjs00 posted:

I hope Hange doesn't die

No Wave posted:

Yeah - she and Sasha are the two characters I hope survive everything.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, I'm just hoping Shadis and Magath live long and happy lives.

Marco is such a sweetheart, I hope he gets through all of this

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I like how surviving the suicide charge (and witnessing the direct aftermath) turned him openly bitter and cynical, and his distrust of the military government is perfectly understandable seeing them spinning their wheels on how to tackle the outside world.

For all his flaws he wasn't merely a selfs-serving rear end in a top hat, either - he went out using the last of his strength to try and save Paradis, even his last words being appeals to the traitors.

I mean, traitors is an odd term here. Hange Zoe was the highest ranking surviving member of the previous government, and Armin is the designated successor.

Theoretically, Historia could challenge the government, but that gets into messier questions about Paradis's constitution that we can't answer, and the sort of debate over the Charter of Humanity that would keep Paradis's top legal scholars busy for years. By the standard definitions, the Survey Corps is the "loyalist" faction, while Floch was supporting a rebel group. (The reverse of Hange and Levi's position in the previous coup.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, traitors is an odd term here. Hange Zoe was the highest ranking surviving member of the previous government, and Armin is the designated successor.

Theoretically, Historia could challenge the government, but that gets into messier questions about Paradis's constitution that we can't answer, and the sort of debate over the Charter of Humanity that would keep Paradis's top legal scholars busy for years. By the standard definitions, the Survey Corps is the "loyalist" faction, while Floch was supporting a rebel group. (The reverse of Hange and Levi's position in the previous coup.)

From an internal political perspective it's messy, but its accurate if you simply look at how now that the chips had come down they were ultimately betraying their homeland by working with enemy soldiers for the sake of averting catastrophe on enemy nations, which is something they themselves understood - worst case, they'd be leaving Paradis defenseless in the face of retaliation by a very pissed off world.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Okay, leaked panels are out in the wild. Confirmation that Zeke gets Talk No Jutsu'd by Armin into allowing himself to die, bringing a stop to the Rumbling. Let's brush past how silly that sounds or how that doesn't quite jive with what we have learned previously. Maybe it will be better in context.

But I think now we can sort of see the patented Isayama twist incoming:

Zeke died without being eaten, which means the Beast Titan is transferred through Paths to a random newborn Eldian. Guess who is being born as we speak? Eren and Historia's child.

In other words, another shifter with Royal blood.

The twist is that Eren's either already in Paradis or is going to return there after dealing with Alliance, pick up his kid, and reactivate the Rumbling. Final panel is Eren crying as he tells his daughter she is free while using her to commit genocide. My assumption is that once the Rumbling is complete, he can remove Ymir's Curse, thereby preserving his child's life beyond the thirteen year time limit (as well as his own).

I suppose everything we have seen so far was Eren making the timing of his daughter's birth coincide with Zeke's death, explaining why Eren didn't do anything and relied on Ymir entirely. His precognition basically answers any questions about "Why didn't he x or y?", albeit a little unsatisfactorily.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

^Oy I can see at least some of that happening. The whole shifter baby transfer thing has been brought up many times but has never actually come into play. That and Warhammer remote control and we've got a stew going.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

Think of the worst possible twist ending -

Marco is actually the reincarnation of the original King Fritz and he used his Supreme Titan powers to screw with Reiner/Annie/Bert/Jean's memories to make them think he was dead so he could spend the next 5 years evilly plotting and pulling strings. As soon as Eren is stopped, he reappears and rechains Ymir and resets the Eldian Empire status quo. To be continued in Assault on Titan.

I will tolerate any ending that does not have Eren turning into a giant tree.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Not even opening reddit till someone posts the full scans here.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Wow, people are loving upset.
Obviously the chapter's not out yet, but am I the only one who doesn't think this sounds too bad? There's stuff I have issues with like killing Zeke to stop the Rumbling, and the fact that we still haven't gotten an Eren POV, but aside from that, this is more or less what I expected.
When the other two major endings that have been proposed are "Eren proves that genocide is right as long as you do it real hard and feel bad about it" and "Poor wittle Ewen didn't know what he was doing, it was all the mean slave girl's fault", I think this is easily the best option. But I guess we'll see.

The thing I'm dreading most is how obnoxious the fans will be for the next decade about this.

If it's any consolation, a glance at Twitter looks like the chapter's being received better there than on Reddit. The people who really hate it are 4chan. Sounds good to me.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 6, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Some weirdos really want to prove those people who call AoT fascist propaganda correct, for some reason

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Beefstew posted:

The thing I'm dreading most is how obnoxious the fans will be for the next decade about this.

hell of a thing to write directly after

Beefstew posted:

When the other two major endings that have been proposed are "Eren proves that genocide is right as long as you do it real hard and feel bad about it" and "Poor wittle Ewen didn't know what he was doing, it was all the mean slave girl's fault", I think this is easily the best option.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
wait why would killing Zeke stop the rumble? Killing Dina didn’t stop the Titans attacking Reiner. And why didn’t Zeke choose to die before “Japan” and the refugee camp got flattened. This is real dumb imo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

"Eren was being controlled by Ymir all along, actually" is such nonsense I can't understand how people think this is a possible conclusion.

I guess a complete misreading of Eren's "you're the one who guided me here, weren't you?" line plus no grasp for storytelling?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

hatty posted:

wait why would killing Zeke stop the rumble? Killing Dina didn’t stop the Titans attacking Reiner. And why didn’t Zeke choose to die before “Japan” and the refugee camp got flattened. This is real dumb imo.

That whole part with Dina was inconsistent with what we know to begin with. Eren stopped touching her and was still able to control the titans to attack Reiner while running away.

E: Wait I misread what you said, I think that part is the part that's inconsistent with what we know, not the supposed spoiler

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hatty posted:

He does not will himself to die. He gets out of the Paths and out on top of the Eren Titan, alerts everyone that he is there and then Levi swings down and kills him. Also the titans attacking Reiner would have attacked Reiner anyway, with the exception of shifters that can control titans, titans try and eat shifters when they notice them. (Heck the reason Titans try and eat people, is cause they want to eat a shifter.)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He does not will himself to die. He gets out of the Paths and out on top of the Eren Titan, alerts everyone that he is there and then Levi swings down and kills him. Also the titans attacking Reiner would have attacked Reiner anyway, with the exception of shifters that can control titans, titans try and eat shifters when they notice them. (Heck the reason Titans try and eat people, is cause they want to eat a shifter.)

Titans don't prioritize sifters over a larger number of regular humans. They utilized that during the battle to retake Trost to clear the way for Eren.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saagonsa posted:

Titans don't prioritize sifters over a larger number of regular humans. They utilized that during the battle to retake Trost to clear the way for Eren.

They do if they are closer to them. But Titans are too mindless for the most part to tell the difference.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They do if they are closer to them. But Titans are too mindless for the most part to tell the difference.

They managed to distract titans that were in view of Eren though, is the thing. They were running around Eren to clear the path as he was carrying the boulder.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Thanks reddit for reminding me how awful you are, I'd almost forgotten.

If the spoilers are accurate in that the chapter ends with the shot of Reiner interfering with the parasite reattaching Eren's titan head that doesn't actually tell us much about what could happen in the last two chapters. Warhammer does not care if you blow off its head and nape. Eren and Ymir are very, very likely to be still in play.

Stop freaking out and let the man tell his story.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 6, 2021

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Saagonsa posted:

They managed to distract titans that were in view of Eren though, is the thing. They were running around Eren to clear the path as he was carrying the boulder.

Yeah, and when Eren first shifts multiple titans become aggressive towards him, like the guy whose head he smacks off that very purposefully roars and charges at him on sight, or the group that eats his arms off. They ignore the relatively heavily populated supply tower to attack Eren instead.

Also the 'baby' titan that gets yeeted.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
lol at people making judgements and analysing the ending 3 fully unread untranslated chapters before the end.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just don’t want the worm to be mind controlling Eren. I could be sorta okay with most anything if that doesn’t happen

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

hatty posted:

I just don’t want the worm to be mind controlling Eren. I could be sorta okay with most anything if that doesn’t happen

Eren being controlled would unironically ruin the entire story of the manga. The entire point of post basement Eren, chapter 100, 130, 131, etc. is that Eren made the decision to murder all these people, knowing full well the vast majority of them are like his mother - just innocent victims. That this is the outcome that he wanted. That’s also why him holding back, apparently not using his full power against the alliance also cheapens the story. If he wasn’t intending to go through with it, why even start.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The year is 2030, I juice into theyeager.win to post about how Eren can still win this.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

mightygerm posted:

Eren being controlled would unironically ruin the entire story of the manga. The entire point of post basement Eren, chapter 100, 130, 131, etc. is that Eren made the decision to murder all these people, knowing full well the vast majority of them are like his mother - just innocent victims. That this is the outcome that he wanted. That’s also why him holding back, apparently not using his full power against the alliance also cheapens the story. If he wasn’t intending to go through with it, why even start.

I would add that if anything the "will" of the attack&foudning titans just clarified his personality to fit his goal. At his very base he wants himself and his family to be safe. Killing the titans will do that. Then he figures out titans are the product of humanity, to stop the titans you gotta kill people. Then theres so many people behind the titans, you end up killing entire nations.

I figure the attack titan just reinforced his drive forward, regardless of his own safety and health. He could maybe accept a negotiated peace at this point, maybe. The founding titan held by the Reiss family just made him detached from any ethical considerations and sent him off the deep end of final solution.

Question: Im rewatching/reading the series and its up to the part where RR is about to feed Eren to Historia. Kenny and his crew set up and his 2nd in command gives a little speech about Kenny's Dream. Is that his own plot to kill off the current government or some grander plan since it seemed he wanted to become a titan.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He believed that the only thing that matters is power and titans are the most powerful thing out there so if he became a shifter no one could ever tell him what to do

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

He believed that the only thing that matters is power and titans are the most powerful thing out there so if he became a shifter no one could ever tell him what to do

Not exactly.

What impressed Kenny most wasn't that Uri could kick his rear end, but that Uri bowed his head to him and asked forgiveness. Power might be nice, but what he wanted most was empathy. He wanted to be a better person. (As the song says, "Can god-like power make me a better me? I just wanna see.") He thought that stealing the power of the Founding Titan might let him have that.

And then he found out that the power only carried the will of the first king for royals. Like so many people in Attack on Titan, his dreams turned to dust.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah on kidding, the Founding King of Paradis was a fascinating person, someone with an incredibly will to power, or a will to anti-power, to even attempt to reverse an entire millenium of brutal imperial conquest and crimes against humanity. The story is pretty sympathetic to his viewpoint, he just failed utterly because he didn't see that the rot lay not with the eldians, not with the subjects of ymir, but with humanity itself. After all, the First King of Eldia wasn't even a subject of Ymir, he was the one who enslaved and raped Ymir.

And of course the Paradis Founder made a crucial mistake of loading a gun by filling the walls of his new nation with colossal titans. That MAD kind of went against his ambitions of world peace, all it took was one advancing titan to throw it all against the wall.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

137 Korean scans are out, so we should have fan translations here pretty quick.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah on kidding, the Founding King of Paradis was a fascinating person, someone with an incredibly will to power, or a will to anti-power, to even attempt to reverse an entire millenium of brutal imperial conquest and crimes against humanity. The story is pretty sympathetic to his viewpoint, he just failed utterly because he didn't see that the rot lay not with the eldians, not with the subjects of ymir, but with humanity itself. After all, the First King of Eldia wasn't even a subject of Ymir, he was the one who enslaved and raped Ymir.

And of course the Paradis Founder made a crucial mistake of loading a gun by filling the walls of his new nation with colossal titans. That MAD kind of went against his ambitions of world peace, all it took was one advancing titan to throw it all against the wall.

He didn't reverse poo poo, he ran away to an island resort with a bunch of subjects while Marley headed by the Tyburs (one of the Eldian ruling families) took his place and business went on as usual.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, no.

The king of the walls felt sad about the history of Eldia and the ongoing civil war, so he conspired with the Tyburs to topple the rest of the nobility then left them in charge of the mess, meanwhile he took the bulk of his subjects to Paradis where he brainwashed them into setting up an isolated religious commune as a way to collectively atone for the crimes his and the other noble Eldian families had perpetuated for millennia.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

chiasaur11 posted:

Not exactly.

What impressed Kenny most wasn't that Uri could kick his rear end, but that Uri bowed his head to him and asked forgiveness. Power might be nice, but what he wanted most was empathy. He wanted to be a better person. (As the song says, "Can god-like power make me a better me? I just wanna see.") He thought that stealing the power of the Founding Titan might let him have that.

And then he found out that the power only carried the will of the first king for royals. Like so many people in Attack on Titan, his dreams turned to dust.

Oh yeah that's right, he didn't have empathy or kindness but Uri did so he thought if he reached that level of power he could see what Uri saw.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Eej posted:

Oh yeah that's right, he didn't have empathy or kindness but Uri did so he thought if he reached that level of power he could see what Uri saw.

Uri's quote seems pretty ironic now.
"We were on an unstoppable path of mutual destruction. What was it that turned us into friends? Was it violence?"
Since it appears it took the Rumbling for people to finally start working together, it seems like the answer to this is "Yes."

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
137 english translation

https://imgur.com/a/5n2s9Ie

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Because I was born into this world.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aight, so how bad was this chapter?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A lot of really important stuff happened.... feels like this should have been more than one chapter.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Grouchio posted:

Aight, so how bad was this chapter?

It ruled

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'd be much more disappointed if it wasn't such an obvious fake out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015