Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Think I found the actual back button patent, what was tripping me up was that it's not a US patent. It's an application filed with the UN: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2021021362&tab=PCTBIBLIO Not yet granted apparently, only filed and published. And no clue what it means if it were granted, apparently WIPO doesn't even grant patents but just assists in applying for them with UN member states. The abstract makes clear that Sony is trying to distinguish their back buttons as an attachment that mirrors existing controller buttons. Not sure what else to make of it.

What I had found previously was an older US patent for a wireless charging adapter with back buttons: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020040949A1/en?oq=WO2020040949

The summary is kinda funny. Gosh we don't want to make a back button attachment or anything. But if we made a Qi wireless charging attachment that no one would want if not for the dogshit microUSB ports, wouldn't it be a waste not to slap some back buttons on it?

quote:

As understood herein, adapters for interlacing battery-powered game controllers with a wireless charging base may be located on the game controller in a position that can be used to leverage the adapters for additional purposes than charging. Combining a wireless charging adaptor with the ability to strategically locate duplicate game controller button controls on the adaptor, which is mounted on the back side of the controller, enhances and improve games play and provide a one-product solution to address two problems for computer gamers at the same time. Or, some implementations may omit the charging feature on the adapter.

An adapter that couples to an electronic device through a USB or equivalent connection is combined with one or more control buttons to interact with the electronic device. While it should be appreciated that this adapter in some examples is able to charge and/or interact with a multitude of electronic devices, in an illustrative example the adapter mounts on PlayStation® Dual Shock 4 (DS4) video game controller. This adapted connection enables the ability to wirelessly charge the DS4 game controller in some implementations and also copy or map one or more of the existing game controller interaction buttons if so desired. In this embodiment the adapter plugs into an input/output port of the game controller and mounts onto the back/bottom of the controller. In an example, the adapter includes a Qi-standard wireless charging coil and electronic circuitry to allow for wireless charging on any Qi standard charging pad. In addition, the adapter includes one or more buttons positioned so that they are located on the back or bottom side of the controller when the adapter is engaged with the controller and strategically positioned such that the buttons are easily accessible by one or more fingers that are normally not engaged with the controller interaction. Button mapping can be changed and mapped to any existing digital button on the game controller.

Filed in 2018, regular degular DS4 back buttons announced the end of 2019. Maybe this is CYA Sony decided they didn't need, and that making it a separate attachment was distinction enough.

edit: ugh awful page snipe sorry. Here uh I don't use rest mode because it attracts snakes

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Casnorf posted:

Seems odd though because Ghosts feels basically exactly like newcreeds to me in terms of structure and gameplay loop.

that's because every AAA game from the last 5 years that isn't an FPS is cribbing from the same pool of ideas that they've been stealing from each other. That's probably why TLoU2 even has a weird section up front that sort of baits you into thinking it will be an open world exploration horse game, like Zelda but with Zombies, and then it pulls its MGS2 Raiden trick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Here uh I don't use rest mode because it attracts snakes

just put some giant water bugs in there to kill the snakes BAM! equilibrium

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just lmao if you dont have rest mode mongoose, like i know its kind of a niche to have rest mode mongoose but people do have them, microsoft has catered to this consumer for years. its not that hard

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh my controller isn’t drifting with Nioh 2 remastered even though it did with Nioh 2 PS4. I guess it really is only a problem with PS4 games, which I can just my PS4 controller for so it isn’t an issue.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have a friend who's not great at drawing. So you know what he does?

Ray Traces.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

that's because every AAA game from the last 5 years that isn't an FPS is cribbing from the same pool of ideas that they've been stealing from each other. That's probably why TLoU2 even has a weird section up front that sort of baits you into thinking it will be an open world exploration horse game, like Zelda but with Zombies, and then it pulls its MGS2 Raiden trick.

Shame, that was the best bit of TLoU2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Shame, that was the best bit of TLoU2

I dunno, it worked for what it was and served the narrative and pacing purposes well, but I sure as hell wouldn't want the whole game to be like that, and there were def more memorable parts to that excellent game. That is to say, ND's signature funneling open-world-in-moderation structure is a good strategy for addressing the hella dull and heretofore relatively unchallenged assumptions of early aughts sandbox game design.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bust Rodd posted:

It's not really the MGS2 Raiden trick if there's 15-20 hours of gameplay before it happens.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, but it's the best attempt to do something like that in 20 years so

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rumors of impending announcement sometime this week of FF7R PS5 patch

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, but it's the best attempt to do something like that in 20 years so

still disappointed i couldnt play all of assassins creed 3 as haytham kenway

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

At this point I hope they just keep the handful of glitched textures the way they are, just as a flex.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Having played UC4 and LL, the brief open part of TLOU2 didn't seem like a trick at all. I was like oh doing the chill wide linear thing again okay. I was more surprised that there weren't more segments like that later on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fedule posted:

At this point I hope they just keep the handful of glitched textures the way they are, just as a flex.

the door must remain. REMAIN!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

acksplode posted:

Having played UC4 and LL, the brief open part of TLOU2 didn't seem like a trick at all. I was like oh doing the chill wide linear thing again okay. I was more surprised that there weren't more segments like that later on.

This basically. The boat bit later on was kinda similar but not the same freedom and no horse and no map :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Linear games with open sections that let you just kind of breath for a while and do things at your own pace is one of my favorite things in games right now, but it's so rare. it probably takes a lot to pull off. Really, Naughty Dog and 4A Games are the only devs that make games like that afaik. It allows a tight narrative while not giving the player too much claustrophobia.

I think that's part of why I'm so evangelical about Metro Exodus. It's such an extreme example of that. You'll go from these oppressive corridors, to linear areas that allow a bit of exploration, to story heavy stuff, to full blown mini open worlds you can blow 6+ hours in. there's so much variety in that game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Linear games with open sections that let you just kind of breath for a while and do things at your own pace is one of my favorite things in games right now, but it's so rare. it probably takes a lot to pull off. Really, Naughty Dog and 4A Games are the only devs that make games like that afaik. It allows a tight narrative while not giving the player too much claustrophobia.

I think that's part of why I'm so evangelical about Metro Exodus. It's such an extreme example of that. You'll go from these oppressive corridors, to linear areas that allow a bit of exploration, to story heavy stuff, to full blown mini open worlds you can blow 6+ hours in. there's so much variety in that game.

god of war is like that too

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Thanks again BP for that toothbrush reminder, my previously sticky controller seems fine now!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

god of war is like that too

I kind of put games like GOW, nu Tomb Raider and Jedi Fallen order in a similar, but different category. It's more of a hybrid open world, whereas the aforementioned games are more point A to B, with some detours, but you can't backtrack after a certain point and the story keeps going.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

caldrax posted:

Thanks again BP for that toothbrush reminder, my previously sticky controller seems fine now!

np, it's been my go-to fix for that issue since the PS2 :getin:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I kind of put games like GOW, nu Tomb Raider and Jedi Fallen order in a similar, but different category. It's more of a hybrid open world, whereas the aforementioned games are more point A to B, with some detours, but you can't backtrack after a certain point and the story keeps going.

sure. more of a metroidvania kind of format, without actually sealing the deal by letting the player get lost

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

This basically. The boat bit later on was kinda similar but not the same freedom and no horse and no map :(

I was bummed out that there was no map after, but the use of the map itself as a plot device later on was clever.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Watch it be a full-on PS5 game that you have to pay full price for. :hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Watch it be a full-on PS5 game that you have to pay full price for. :hai:

:haibrow:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'll replay it if they zhuzh it up some

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno, it worked for what it was and served the narrative and pacing purposes well, but I sure as hell wouldn't want the whole game to be like that, and there were def more memorable parts to that excellent game. That is to say, ND's signature funneling open-world-in-moderation structure is a good strategy for addressing the hella dull and heretofore relatively unchallenged assumptions of early aughts sandbox game design.

No the good part was with horse

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it worth getting an extended warranty? I've got my PS5 coming from Walmart in a few weeks and I don't know if I should grab the 3 year for $62 or just go with Sony's one year.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Considering you're already spending 500$ on it anyway, it might not be a bad investment. That's the price of a single game for a fairly long time of security if it ever breaks or develops issues.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it worth getting an extended warranty? I've got my PS5 coming from Walmart in a few weeks and I don't know if I should grab the 3 year for $62 or just go with Sony's one year.

Remember if it was worth the money they wouldn't sell it

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Remember if it was worth the money they wouldn't sell it

That's not a great comparison. Insurance is always profitable to the company that sells it, but when you need it is worth it to you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShaneB posted:

That's not a great comparison. Insurance is always profitable to the company that sells it, but when you need it is worth it to you.

Just don't need it then

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Gaius Marius posted:

Just don't need it then
americanhealthcare.txt

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

no health care no protection plan hail satan

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

I have a friend who's not great at drawing. So you know what he does?

Ray Traces.

I like this

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:stare: Control graphics mode
:stare: Control performance mode
:stare: Control with nothing load times
:stare: I feel my feet
:shepicide: that first Tommasi fight again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fix posted:

:stare: Control graphics mode
:stare: Control performance mode
:stare: Control with nothing load times
:stare: I feel my feet
:shepicide: that first Tommasi fight again.

I figured out all on my own you can cheese Tomasi by going upstairs and just shooting him from behind the pneumatic tube cluster.

His projectiles are too wide to hit you and his goons have lovely AI and won't follow you up stairs.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
They can spawn upstairs though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yeah but if you wait until they spawn downstairs they wont follow you up and no more will spawn and then tomasi as the same flying ai as the normal ones so you can launch and then launch straight after his first miss and hit him, hes loving easy as hell once you know and its so much more satisfying taking him out first go after those repeated deaths/ps4loading on that first launch playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To kill Tomassi, shoot him until he dies.