Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

KazigluBey posted:

It's going to be much, MUCH worse than that, everyone worked together to stop the rumbling so this puts a stop to the ongoing genocide, everyone is freed from the ghetto as their humanity is recognized. All crimes are forgiven and forgotten. Happy ending where everyone still alive responsible for suffering gets off scott-free :v:
You mean, like, Willy Tybur and the VIPs of Marleyan society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I see the PATHS in a new light this chapter. It also serves as a sort of afterlife for Subjects of Ymir. Erwin seeing his scout comrades before death isn't just in his mind, but instead he saw an actual psychic manifestation of them. It makes Zeke accepting life and then going out to get his head lopped off make more sense because he had just witnessed proof of an afterlife where he can continue to play catch.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eustace posted:

Maybe Im a dumb baby with bad taste but I really liked this chapter

It was perfectly fine

Im also gonna love to see everything from Pieck fighting to the dead shifters coming back to join the melee animated

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Racism and hatred aren't as simple as "people hate people that are different because bad memories so it's inevitably us or them". We've seen that it's fueled by power structures - Marleyan propaganda, their desire for oil, and the means and capital they have at their disposal to inflict fear and oppression. This may not have even been his plan, but Eren has destroyed those power structures. It guarantees nothing, and anything short of a guarantee isn't enough for Eren. But it can be seen as a start. If Marley hadn't been at least partially rumbled, I would've agreed with peace being a bad ending, but that's not the case. The alliance has said that nobody would dare attack Paradis in their lifetimes again - they simply don't have the means. This was Marley's last military outpost, and all of their ships are gone. Navy, air force, aristocracy, military leadership, all gone. If that isn't a foundation for change then I don't know what is.
And if we're worried about Paradis becoming oppressors - well, Floch's dead too, and I suspect the Yeagerists won't last.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Armin with the real come up this chapter.

"I took everything from you, your life, your power, even your girl."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Rewatching Grisha's speech after mightygerm's last post and... man

Grisha wants Eren to absolutely reach the end of his road, whatever it is, and he definitely wants him to master his power to save everyone despite knowing that he can't even use the Founder under normal circumstances and knowing that at face value, the Rumbling has killed a lot of people and saved no one as of right now.

I really, really, really hope they follow up on this in the last few chapters because I can't even fathom why Grisha would give Eren the Founder/Attack Titan and expect him to save anyone at all knowing that the Rumbling actually will happen.

It would be some Xanatos-rear end poo poo if Eren wasn't even there and is back in Paradis, did this so that his child inherits the beast titan at this exact moment, and then does... something with the Founder at the precise moment the centipede thing is active. very unlikely but that would be the biggest reverse uno card Eren could ever pull

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

After this chapter, I'm convinced it's intentional. With Mikasa still simping over her genocidal brother-bf and unlikely to show Jean the time of day anytime soon, I think Isayama felt like he should give our wannabe knight in shining armor some moments of rescuing second-best girl to seed fans' imaginations. That's also the only logical explanation for why he hasn't killed off Pieck.

Glad that the two best boys are gonna get with the two best girls.

I think "...Dammit, I like Pieck." is a more likely explanation.

Until right now, pretty much every couple and potential couple has been brutally destroyed. Carla and Grisha both died horribly in the first chapters, Marlowe died just as he finally realized his feelings for Hitch, Ymir went off to her death and abandoned Historia to save Reiner, Bert died while Annie was in the crystal, Sasha died while Niccolo was waiting for her in Paradis... even Nile Dok died without getting to see his wife and kids one last time. Being in a relationship is enough of a death flag that people have been assuming Annie or Armin would die ever since them liking each other was brought up.

Pieck, meanwhile, has just spent her time being increasingly great, with no natural openings for her death. It's a thing some writers bring up in interviews , that they have some dashed off supporting character that, due to the narrative or the performance, just keeps grabbing more spotlight.

I figure the original Cart Titan plans, when Pieck's role was going to a middle aged guy, didn't really have a specific "this is where he dies" place in the story, just a rough "This character isn't too important, just find a big action scene". But then he went with Pieck Finger instead, and she kept getting funny scenes, or charming ones, or ones showing that she was one of the most competent people around, and that meant she'd have to die historic instead of as an afterthought, and the story didn't have an easy way to do that.

Her getting together with Jean isn't impossible with a timeskip or something, but they've been mortal enemies for years and coworkers for less than a week. Jean even ditched her mid-sentence last chapter. Shipping them is still more a meme than something the story suggests.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They've all got one year left don't they? Or did Zeke get picked before all the others?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If anything at all is getting resolved, titans and the curse have to go. I'm assuming the current shifters aren't going to run out of time.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I have a creeping suspicion Eren's scheme will somehow be the inverse of RBA's infiltration plan. Where RBA smashed the wall and assumed Eldian identities in the chaos, here Eren has smashed the governments of the world. With the Founder's power he could rewrite all of Paradis' memories so that they forget their history, and believe themselves to be refugees like anyone else.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Squidster posted:

I have a creeping suspicion Eren's scheme will somehow be the inverse of RBA's infiltration plan. Where RBA smashed the wall and assumed Eldian identities in the chaos, here Eren has smashed the governments of the world. With the Founder's power he could rewrite all of Paradis' memories so that they forget their history, and believe themselves to be refugees like anyone else.

I doubt he would do that because it is no different than killing them all in his eyes.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if erasing their memories was on the table, he wouldn’t have allowed them to interfere at all.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MechaX posted:

Rewatching Grisha's speech after mightygerm's last post and... man

Grisha wants Eren to absolutely reach the end of his road, whatever it is, and he definitely wants him to master his power to save everyone despite knowing that he can't even use the Founder under normal circumstances and knowing that at face value, the Rumbling has killed a lot of people and saved no one as of right now.

I really, really, really hope they follow up on this in the last few chapters because I can't even fathom why Grisha would give Eren the Founder/Attack Titan and expect him to save anyone at all knowing that the Rumbling actually will happen.

It would be some Xanatos-rear end poo poo if Eren wasn't even there and is back in Paradis, did this so that his child inherits the beast titan at this exact moment, and then does... something with the Founder at the precise moment the centipede thing is active. very unlikely but that would be the biggest reverse uno card Eren could ever pull

Yeah that's my biggest question now for the finale is why did Grisha change his mind? He clearly was against Eren's destiny the last we saw of him, and that wasn't anywhere near the end of his life. Does he feel a slave to destiny or did he get to see more later on?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Path People didn't say anything so I wonder how much of the actual person they were

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

didn’t Paths Erwin talk to freshly deceased Hange? Is there a significance in this difference? hmmmm

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I’m literally only rooting for the author to close out the series in a spectacular ending so all our time and the whole thing won’t go to waste.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It could fumble the landing and I'd still feel it was worth the ride.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Its going to end with Armin Linking the First Flame and preserving the Age of Fire.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

No Wave posted:

You mean, like, Willy Tybur and the VIPs of Marleyan society?

The only people responsible for a structural issue are the ones at the top?

Ahh yes, racism (with coded antisemitic beats) is resolved if the people being the most racist are killed and nothing else beyond that needs changing. It's not like it wasn't baked into every facet of Marley society, nope. It's also not like an Eldian (& Co.) weren't then responsible for the death of many international dignitaries and an attempted world-spanning omnicide, which I can't imagine in a less saccharine ending wouldn't result in all the non-Marleyans loathing and fearing them on the same level (or worse) that the Marleyans did.

Having said all that I still dread the "happy" ending being the one the story goes for, flying in the face of it all. We've already gotten the "gotta' band together against a common foe!"-beat I was predicting yonks ago, lets see if the whole thing comes true then.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im still on the fence

I liked the action, I liked Armin in the path but... theres got to be a good explanation for the whole Zeke thing

First he could not leave, than he just does. He just materializes out there. Then "killing" him ends the rumbling? What even means to "kill" him there? He wanst really alive anymore

But 2 chapters to go, lets see what the author is taking us

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 9, 2021

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I liked it! A little hand-wavy why Ymir gave Zeke his power back, but the theme is on point. Almost every character has said at some point they wished they chose a peaceful life over fighting, and now their power to fight is for that dream. I guess next chapter is final confrontation with Eren (and maybe a better explanation on what just happened), then final chapter an epilogue for the future of Eldia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im still on the fence

I liked the action, I liked Armin in the path but... theres got to be a good explanation for the whole Zeke thing

First he could not leave, than he just does. He just materializes out there. Then "killing" him ends the rumbling? What even means to "kill" him there? He wanst really alive anymore

But 2 chapters to go, lets see what the author is taking us

He did not think he could and he was actually alive. Once he realized he could just leave he did and Levi killed him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, for 2000 years, Ymir figured she couldn't leave, too. :v:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Is it weird that I barely remember Historia? I feel like she hasn't been an actual character for easily the back 1/2 of the story. I get that she has very little of interest to do (maybe we dunno I guess?), but given her being a central piece in the story for Eren & the outcome, it feels weird that she's been so absent except as a way to hide information.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ok who called it was going to be a lelouch ending, because its 100% going to be a lelouch ending.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is it weird that I barely remember Historia? I feel like she hasn't been an actual character for easily the back 1/2 of the story. I get that she has very little of interest to do (maybe we dunno I guess?), but given her being a central piece in the story for Eren & the outcome, it feels weird that she's been so absent except as a way to hide information.
Watch the next chapter end with Historia arriving out of nowhere, brandishing a steel chair.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AradoBalanga posted:

Watch the next chapter end with Historia arriving out of nowhere, brandishing a steel chair.

BAH GAWD THAT'S HISTORIA'S MUSIC

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

serious gaylord posted:

Ok who called it was going to be a lelouch ending, because its 100% going to be a lelouch ending.

A lot of people are calling it but most dont want it to be true

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the majority already came to the conclusion when the rumbling actually started that Eren had already won, and I think Isayama correctly guessed that people would have already too given that it was around that time he posted the work on the last page of the series.

Its just what "winning" means.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
One more chapter for my favorite part of falling action.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

It all depends who is in the final page of the manga. But I guess they did bring lelouch back to life anyway also.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What is a "lelouch ending"?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

A God Emperor of Dune ending.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Playing the role of the villain so that everyone can unite and defeat you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zerilan posted:

Playing the role of the villain so that everyone can unite and defeat you.

Thanks

It does makes some sense

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
More specifically, it's winning in a deliberately evil fashion but getting assassinated so everyone supports your comparatively saintly successor. Cue world peace, which was your real goal all along.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 9, 2021

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

I used to disagree with this, mainly because Eren and Pixis make fun of it directly. But now it seems like only one of two ways the plot can make any sort of sense in the end without massive retcons.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pretending to be a monster is much more dull than the character actually being one imo.

hatty fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 9, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That'd be one hell of a trick if Eren was only pretending to genocide the planet considering it looks like he laid flat an entire continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

What a fuckin Chad