Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Larryb posted:

So having finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time I was curious, is Hunter X Hunter any good? If so, should I watch the 1999 anime, the 2011 anime, or just read the manga?

It's fantastic, and 2011 anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

So having finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time I was curious, is Hunter X Hunter any good? If so, should I watch the 1999 anime, the 2011 anime, or just read the manga?

The 2011 anime and then the manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's fantastic, and 2011 anime

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference between the two? Is the 2011 version like a Kai/Brotherhood treatment that’s more faithful to the original manga?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just watching the anime is fine too, because the manga started up an absolutely amazing arc that will probably never be finished. it'll break your heart.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

You’re probably going to get a lot of responses and all options have their good points.

I recommend the 2011 anime. Great animation and it goes through every manga arc, minus the current arc which is in the middle of a hiatus. Despite this, the anime ends at a good stopping point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mumbling posted:

You’re probably going to get a lot of responses and all options have their good points.

I recommend the 2011 anime. Great animation and it goes through every manga arc, minus the current arc which is in the middle of a hiatus. Despite this, the anime ends at a good stopping point.

I see the manga is still going, what chapter should I start from after finishing the anime?

Also again, what’s the difference between the two animes?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Black Stones posted:

Those 2 don’t have traditional print books in Japan?

It’s good to know that Kaiju No.8 is selling good though because I’m absolutely loving it and I would hate for it to be cancelled anytime soon.

They have collected volumes but the actual chapters run only on Jump Plus, which is good because Jump Plus basically lets authors set their own schedules.

For comparison on sales, Spy X Family sold like 4.4 million copies in 2020 which puts it above everything in the actual physical WSJ weeklies other than the absolute top dogs from last year (Demon Slayer, One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen, Haikyu, MHA).

Kaiju No. 8 only has one volume out but it's sold more than some entire series have. A successful WSJ manga's first volume generally does like 15-20k copies (Mashle vol. 1 did 15k for instance). Meanwhile the first Kaiju No. 8 volume sold 350k.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
first anime has some filler, some censorship, and doesn't cover as much of the manga. there are a few scenes which were arguably done better than the second anime, but that's about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

first anime has some filler, some censorship, and doesn't cover as much of the manga. there are a few scenes which were arguably done better than the second anime, but that's about it.

Good to know, what point in the manga does the second anime go up to?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

The 2011 anime is generally good, but it doesn't do a great job of adapting the first arc, so you might want to read the manga version of that too.

The 1999 anime is weird. I always say that you have to "unlearn" a lot of subtle points of characterization. It has a great sense of atmosphere, though.

And to say that the manga is "ongoing" is misleading. The arc after the part adapted by the 2011 anime is still unfinished and perhaps never will be; HxH is constantly on hiatus, and the current hiatus has lasted for years IIRC. The 2011 anime ends on a pretty good stopping point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

When was the last chapter of the HxH manga?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha. Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why Togashi hasn’t really been that active for a while?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 8, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

99 has the better aesthetic until they hit digital animation during the bad Greed Island OVAs, bonus points for actually changing the OP a few times and filler that hits as much as it misses. 2011 obviously has a ton of material only it got to adapt so that's the big draw there.

i watched a mix of both and enjoyed them for their different reasons, definitely wouldn't write either one off in favor of the other at least.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Gotcha. Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why Togashi hasn’t really been that active for a while?

Health problems mostly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll probably wind up watching both then.

Also is this a Yu Yu Hakusho situation where parts of the manga were a bit iffy but were thankfully toned down or removed entirely by the anime adaptation or are the two more or less equal in this case?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Personally I consider it to have ended when (spoilers for the main character's story arc) Gon climbs the world tree and has a chat with his dad. At that point, all major story arcs are nearly tied up and resolved, there's nothing important still up in the air. There are lots of minor things, true, but you don't need to resolve everything in a story; rather, some works of fiction suffer from wanting to give an answer to every small thing in the end.

Then the following chapters add new plot elements, new characters, and so on. But I seriously doubt we'll see any of that get resolved. I'm still reading and enjoying it when it comes out, I'm just not as interested and invested in it as I was before.

What I put under spoilers above is the best stopping point in my opinion.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Larryb posted:

I’ll probably wind up watching both then.

Also is this a Yu Yu Hakusho situation where parts of the manga were a bit iffy but were thankfully toned down or removed entirely by the anime adaptation or are the two more or less equal in this case?
HxH is imo the best shounen manga. I think only peak one piece and peak Jojo compare with it. It's really incredible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish I liked HxH

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mikl posted:

Personally I consider it to have ended when (spoilers for the main character's story arc) Gon climbs the world tree and has a chat with his dad. At that point, all major story arcs are nearly tied up and resolved, there's nothing important still up in the air. There are lots of minor things, true, but you don't need to resolve everything in a story; rather, some works of fiction suffer from wanting to give an answer to every small thing in the end.

Then the following chapters add new plot elements, new characters, and so on. But I seriously doubt we'll see any of that get resolved. I'm still reading and enjoying it when it comes out, I'm just not as interested and invested in it as I was before.

What I put under spoilers above is the best stopping point in my opinion.

I agree it's probably the best stopping point, but there's some pretty important things unresolved, just not involving the main character. In particular, Kurapica still hasn't killed the Phantom Troupe or collected all the Scarlet Eyes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arist posted:

I wish I liked HxH

Every time I think about reading it I look and see what modern HxH is like and go nah I'm good thanks

I will never fault anyone else for liking it but it is extremely not for me

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 8, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I agree it's probably the best stopping point, but there's some pretty important things unresolved, just not involving the main character. In particular, Kurapica still hasn't killed the Phantom Troupe or collected all the Scarlet Eyes.

he was never going to manage that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Every time I think about reading it I look and see what modern HxH is like and go nah I'm good thanks

I will never fault anyone else for liking it but it is extremely not for me

It does get wordy and convoluted to the point of self-parody at times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Most of that page is text, does this happen often in the manga?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i agree with the sentiment but caught up with the manga before this current "hxh is just a light novel now" arc was in full swing

so ant is basically the last thing i strongly remember and enjoyed, then weird stuff like the election and hisoka's big fight were i guess warnings of what was to come

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not that often, IIRC. That particular page (from the post-anime arc) is a pretty extreme case. It's just hard to resist bringing it up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That level of wordiness only happens in the very last (unfinished) arc and that page is specifically infamous. In general HxH is wordier than most shounen but not by a crazy amount.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I honestly feel like at the point your health gets so bad that that's the kind of work you're putting out it's time to suck it up and find an artist.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

dogsicle posted:

...warnings of what was to come

What didn’t you like about the fight?

Mumbling fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Hunter X Hunter still have

the poorly drawn celebration with the overly detailed turkey roast or did that get fixed post-release?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I honestly feel like at the point your health gets so bad that that's the kind of work you're putting out it's time to suck it up and find an artist.

Or just say gently caress it and write a light novel instead.

Hell, his wife (Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi) hasn’t done anything major for a while. Let her take over as the artist.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

The funny thing is that he's married to a perfectly cromulent artist.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mumbling posted:

What didn’t you like about the fight?

mind numbing mess of nen mechanics

maybe it's actually no worse than some prior fights, but there was such a large gap between me finishing the prior stuff and actually getting to read it that i couldn't say.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does Hunter X Hunter still have

the poorly drawn celebration with the overly detailed turkey roast or did that get fixed post-release?

Pretty sure it was fixed in the volume release. Still funny, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I wasn't that into that fight either. It didn't feel like Hisoka/Chrollo were actually trying to kill each other (something HxH fights tend to convey very well) despite all the bystander death. Just lacked something, hard to say.

Boat is fun but I don't expect to ever get something on chimera ant's level again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Also it's mainly just that character.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I honestly was pretty into all the mechanics of the fight. I felt part of the draw was Hisoka’s internal monologue trying to unravel what was happening and discovering the true benefit of the Sun/Moon power.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having spent much of 2020 going through the 2011 anime, Hunter x Hunter remains a story that I am very hot and cold on. Some of it drags so god drat bad and some characters just didn't work for me at all (until I saw some of their character arcs finally get some payoff a hundred episodes later), but its highs are so pronounced and some arcs might very well be in the conversation for best Shounen arcs overall ever made. I am extremely glad I put in the effort to get through it but it was an extremely slow burn, especially the first ~30 episodes or so. But even with some of those caveats I will remember the parts that stand out until the day I die whereas I am forgetting stuff like MHA or One Piece moments after finishing reading them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

last ~30 chapters of Jojo4 > Chimera Ant > Impel Down

That's my top 3. It took me so long to come around to chimera ant at the time because for a while it felt like it was actually going to kill the manga but in the end he pulled it off and reading it all again now it's just incredible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just from having watched the 2011 anime the thing I didn't like about HxH is how often it would just get lost in the explanation of powers and abilities. Also I wasn't a fan of how after the initial arc Leorio and Kurapika just kind of wander off and aren't seen for large chunks of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

This is also the worst translation of a page that's pure exposition because they darn near doubled the word count.