Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Season 4 will be Black Lightning's last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That is some serious bullshit. I’m glad they got a spin-off coming but BL has a solid supporting cast and a really great world built around them, what a punch to the stomach, especially after the big crossover event teasing future superfriends team ups.

This news really bummed me out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The one-two punch of Arrow ending and taking the tentpole out the whole CWverse with it and COVID-19 really seems like it's derailed everything at this point. I was looking forward to Black Lightning being a part of the bigger universe too and now, well, poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well I hope they can write a great ending for the show. :unsmith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Last night I saw a superhero he was black, he said this is for the streets, Black Lightning's gonna retire."

I can't be mad though, better to finish strong than risk churning out mediocre poo poo like some Arrowverse shows have in the past.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Did Diaz already win here too?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The one-two punch of Arrow ending and taking the tentpole out the whole CWverse with it and COVID-19 really seems like it's derailed everything at this point. I was looking forward to Black Lightning being a part of the bigger universe too and now, well, poo poo.

It's more a Netflix thing than a Covid thing, hence the spinoff.

Warner doesn't want Netflix getting any more of that sweet sweet streaming money, so they're renewing all the shows up to their streaming content stipulations and then shuttering them. (Hence shows like In The Dark and The Outpost getting renewed, despite nobody watching them -- and the latter being incredibly poo poo.)

The shows that stick around will be the ones the CW can't really do without, i.e. The Flash, and even that probably won't make it past Season 8. If they're smart they'll use it for the other shows they're setting up, and transition to Superman and Lois being the centre of the new iteration of the franchise.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Hey this is back tonight.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh boy a superhuman registration plot

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anissa is right, they need to go kill Tobias.

Jen and Anissa in the Lightningmobile :v:

https://i.imgur.com/mId6L01.mp4

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Anissa is absolutely right about killing Tobias.

Jen is absolutely right about doing random flips and cartwheels in the middle of a fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My only lament is that subsequent streaming versions might eventually lose the really good licensed music in the series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's weird that they stopped having Jen give off lightning when she flies and now she just flies like Superman

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to watching this and... I guess they're just completely ignoring the implications of the crossover, ie. that all the Arrowverse shows now take place on the same world and retroactively always have? I'm really glad they seem to be completely moving on from the Markovia stuff though. It was dumb and I hope they never mention it again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching this and... I guess they're just completely ignoring the implications of the crossover, ie. that all the Arrowverse shows now take place on the same world and retroactively always have?

How do you mean? If you're talking about how no superheroes helped with the Markovian stuff that's just some "you have to roll with it" poo poo like when Diaz sealed off Star City and no one tried to help on Arrow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

How do you mean? If you're talking about how no superheroes helped with the Markovian stuff that's just some "you have to roll with it" poo poo like when Diaz sealed off Star City and no one tried to help on Arrow.

Also the world should now be full of aliens (thanks to Supergirl) and there should be other types of metahumans (thanks to The Flash), as well as various wizards, super-scientists, mystical ninjas, etc., all of which should dramatically change the situation in Freeland because it was originally the one place where there were any kind of super powers. The Central City cops have devices for disabling metas powers. Can the Freeland police not get those? Why make a big deal about registering the Freeland metas when there are all kinds of super powered people all over the planet? Merging the worlds just changes a lot of the fundamental assumptions behind the plot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Don't blow your cover you big dummy." I love Tobias.

I am not looking forward to see everything come falling down for Jeff, Lynn and Gambi.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Is it just me or is this season incredibly dour?

I'm also curious exactly how much the therapist truly knows about Jeff and Lynn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

It has been so far, especially this last episode. I hope they start getting some wins soon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I'm also curious exactly how much the therapist truly knows about Jeff and Lynn.

Yeah it's a real bummer. Although in a way that makes me respect it more, a lot of these superhero shows have the characters get over traumatizing events way too quickly.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Did Krondon lose weight?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am glad that Lynn is getting help for her addiction. I wonder if Tobias' last line at their dinner was a hint that the therapist is on his payroll or reporting to him. Or maybe it's just a coincidence :tinfoil:

Jen sassing Anissa for leaving giant potholes when she lands dramatically was funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am glad that Lynn is getting help for her addiction. I wonder if Tobias' last line at their dinner was a hint that the therapist is on his payroll or reporting to him. Or maybe it's just a coincidence :tinfoil:
That therapist is giving extremely "secretly evil" vibes. And it's not clear if she knows about their super powers or not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"Chocolate-covered Incredibles" is a really funny way to refer to the Pierce family.

Also, Tobias is in Jefferson's head and he's making it way too easy for Tobias to do so.

Edit: this id definitely a turnaround from the mayor.

Edit2: Today's episode sponsored by Mountain Dew and PepsiCo

Edit3: Gambi getting some. Also, the issue in the episode https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Outsiders_Vol_2_16

Edit4: Yup. That was gonna happen.

Edit5: That project is definitely ominous, but also gonna be a plot device used by either Jeff or Jenn to recover/supercharge for the finale.

Edit6: Okay, maybe sooner than the finale.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 2, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol knockoff Joey Telodo and Syanide

Xelkelvos posted:

"Chocolate-covered Incredibles" is a really funny way to refer to the Pierce family.

There were some good lines this episode.

:rip: Mayor Black and Lightning. Definitely didn't see the latter happening even if it will probably be temporary.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol knockoff Joey Telodo and Syanide

Season 1's biggest sin was icing the both of them because they were scared they wouldn't get a Season 2 pickup.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Sitting alone in booth in a bar drinking Mt. Dew out of a can as one does.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Sitting alone in booth in a bar drinking Mt. Dew out of a can as one does.

That was the one can in the episode that wasn't Mountain Dew. It was Ginger Ale as it said in red letters on the green can.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xelkelvos posted:

That was the one can in the episode that wasn't Mountain Dew. It was Ginger Ale as it said in red letters on the green can.

Doh, just got a glance of it and thought it was another Mt. Dew product placement.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I knew from the very few comics I'd read with her in them that Lightning was some pure lightning energy being and wondered if they'd go that way with her but did not see her exploding to get there.

e: also yeah, the "Chocolate-covered Incredibles" was hilarious

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:rip: Lightning. Definitely didn't see the latter happening even if it will probably be temporary.

Iirc, China Anne McClain said she was only going to be in a reduced number of episodes this season, so that would probably be their explanation for her absence,

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that they can't do an actual Flash cameo because of the whole filming distance thing and plus probably playing it safe because COVID thing, but come on guys just put a scene in where Jeff doesn't have the thing and a Flash-y speed effect goes by and then it's in his hands.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kind of a slow episode. Jeff and Gambi reminiscing about the past was probably the highlight for me.

I feel like the Tobias plot could have actually advanced a bit more tonight too. I just hope that it won't get a rushed conclusion in the latter half of the season because Tobias deserves better. He's such a fantastic villain.

Another unexpected ending.

howe_sam posted:

Iirc, China Anne McClain said she was only going to be in a reduced number of episodes this season, so that would probably be their explanation for her absence,

I'm guessing that's one way to save on the budget.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This is gonna be Halo, isn't it? Gotta get all of the OG Outsiders showing up somewhere.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Good lord Gambi, stop gaslighting this poor woman.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jeff was just kind of an rear end this whole episode. Dodging Jen and telling Lynn to take random meta powers.

I really wonder what Val's meta power is. I assume the plan was that Lynn would eventually take them.

That's one way to deal with LaLa.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jeff's been an rear end in a top hat this whole season. Going from the happy, triumphal Jeff at the end of season 3 to broody rear end in a top hat at the start of season 4 has been some major tonal whiplash.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's really surreal actually recognizing a place in one of these shows (because they showed footage from Minneapolis)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Good lord Gambi, stop gaslighting this poor woman.

I'm really enjoying the Gambi plot because it's so hosed up. Like he seems to really like her but is also undermining and backstabbing her constantly. I'm wondering when it's gonna come tumbling down and it leads to him dying. Because I feel like someone's gonna die before the end of the show and Gambi is the obvious candidate.

howe_sam posted:

Jeff's been an rear end in a top hat this whole season. Going from the happy, triumphal Jeff at the end of season 3 to broody rear end in a top hat at the start of season 4 has been some major tonal whiplash.

It is but I like that it really deals with his depression in comparison to the other Arrowverse shows where you'll have something like Barry Allen get depressed for half an episode but then pull himself out of his funk in time to beat up a villain-of-the-week.

e: I enjoy when every now and then they remind us that TC is from the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally caught the latest ep of Black Lightning and they basically did hypothetical Breona Taylor in-universe and used footage from the protests but had BL show up to stop it.