Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Piell posted:

Just tried to listen to this and turned it off the fifth time someone screamed, which was approximately two minutes into the first episode (the Iron Man podcast)

All podcasts devolve into playing up their eccentricities by the time you get to 200+ episodes (which is about where their MCU coverage starts), it won’t be for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The next Wolverine really needs to break out the brown and yellow suit. Im sure they can find a way to make it not look dumb. Maybe make him take off his hood a lot like they did with Cap's helmet

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They actually deleted a scene from The Wolverine where he received it, so its at least something that they were considering.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Robot Style posted:

They actually deleted a scene from The Wolverine where he received it, so its at least something that they were considering.

I want some costume like that...on Hugh Jackman...but with the fabulousness as if he's doing musical theater.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think Deadpool should count as its own continuity and also should be the base timeline for everything x-men related.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think Deadpool should count as its own continuity and also should be the base timeline for everything x-men related.
DP2(?) has that open door with the FirstClass cast so... sure!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FilthyImp posted:

DP2(?) has that open door with the FirstClass cast so... sure!

That's the Dark Phoenix cast. The funny thing is it spoils who dies in Dark Phoenix.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Robot Style posted:

Given what the movie Logan was about they should have had X-24 wearing it when he first appears.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Spacebump posted:

That's the Dark Phoenix cast. The funny thing is it spoils who dies in Dark Phoenix.

I think it more spoils how much jennifer lawrence didn't want to be in the films.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I'm half expecting Wandavision to have a special guest show up at the door- and it's Deadpool! Wild applause, until Deadpool tells them to cut it out, this isn't The Big Bang Theory.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Would Deadpool be a better Stan Lee-esque cameo in each movie, or a better after-credits stinger going forward?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Best used with great moderation. Would be fun to mix it up between him and Cable, though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I think it'd be interesting to bring in Professor X but he's played by Jonny Lee Miller from Elementary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually, come to think of it, both would be a hilarious double act. Prof X trying to take things seriously and be a gentleman while hinting at the wider context while Deadpool is just trying to hog the attention, openly acknowledging his cameo. And he's all like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOVNlpS2uA

Violator
May 15, 2003

Everyone posted:

I think it'd be interesting to bring in Professor X but he's played by Jonny Lee Miller from Elementary.

He’s a good actor who I’ve loved since Hackers. (LOL I know.) I really need to check out Elementary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Violator posted:

He’s a good actor who I’ve loved since Hackers. (LOL I know.) I really need to check out Elementary.

You really do. It's not always the best show, but it stands on the backs of the two leads. Miller is easily the best Sherlock after Jeremy Brett and his portrayal is an excellent modernisation of the character. His Sherlock is a recovering drug addict with profound allergies to self-pity and tact who engages as a consulting detective not because he loves the work but because he is compelled to use his mind for something or destroy himself, and anything else he could use it for would be worse. And where past iterations of Watson have been an adjunct to Holmes at best, Lucy Liu's version is every bit his equal - the smartest person in the room as long as that room doesn't contain Sherlock, her lack of his deductive and observational savantry made up for by her greater empathy and understanding of human nature. There was a lot of eye rolling when it was announced that they were genderflipping the character; it was unfounded.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The worst bit about Elementary is that some of the tattoos / stuff about Mycroft going to a different school strongly suggest that Sherlock went to Kingston Grammar which, while private, is arguably a worse school than the one that Jonny Lee Miller actually went to but I can see why that wouldn't matter to 99.9% of the show's audience.

Spacebump posted:

The trailers for Dark Phoenix did that too. It's amazing how Simon Kinberg has such a strong desire to adapt the Dark Phoenix storyline he's done it twice and it's been poo poo - in different ways - both times.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Elementary is a nice show. It's rarely great, but it's usually decent to good, and it scratches that same itch for a slightly-smart-slightly-dumb procedural crime show that I used to get from Lenny Briscoe-era Law & Order.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

The worst bit about Elementary is that some of the tattoos / stuff about Mycroft going to a different school strongly suggest that Sherlock went to Kingston Grammar which, while private, is arguably a worse school than the one that Jonny Lee Miller actually went to but I can see why that wouldn't matter to 99.9% of the show's audience.

That's mostly an argument between people who went to those schools. It may even be a confusion on someone's part, because Miller went to Tiffin School Kingston. Either way, though, it should be ignored completely as it eliminates the possibility that Sick Boy from Trainspotting is actually Sherlock Holmes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jedit posted:

You really do. It's not always the best show, but it stands on the backs of the two leads. Miller is easily the best Sherlock after Jeremy Brett and his portrayal is an excellent modernisation of the character. His Sherlock is a recovering drug addict with profound allergies to self-pity and tact who engages as a consulting detective not because he loves the work but because he is compelled to use his mind for something or destroy himself, and anything else he could use it for would be worse. And where past iterations of Watson have been an adjunct to Holmes at best, Lucy Liu's version is every bit his equal - the smartest person in the room as long as that room doesn't contain Sherlock, her lack of his deductive and observational savantry made up for by her greater empathy and understanding of human nature. There was a lot of eye rolling when it was announced that they were genderflipping the character; it was unfounded.

The druggy part reminds of the Cumberbatch version. I didn’t like that version as much as I could have because none of the mysteries were solved to be clever “oh wow, if I paid more attention I could have picked up on that.” It felt like it was always dumb “I noticed a red stain on your shoe” that the audience wouldn’t have been shown but would be revealed by Sherlock’s monologue at the end of the episode.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Elementary is a nice show. It's rarely great, but it's usually decent to good, and it scratches that same itch for a slightly-smart-slightly-dumb procedural crime show that I used to get from Lenny Briscoe-era Law & Order.

Oh poo poo, I’m sold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The twist/reveal made my wife actually scream and she's a pretty chill person.

I'm very happy it happened because it means they are going to get even weirder.

Edit: In WandaVision. The gently caress is wrong with me.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 8, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually, come to think of it, both would be a hilarious double act. Prof X trying to take things seriously and be a gentleman while hinting at the wider context while Deadpool is just trying to hog the attention, openly acknowledging his cameo. And he's all like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOVNlpS2uA

And rumor has it that Deadpool 3 is planned to be 'Super-serious villain comes looking for the X-Men to have a grimdark epic story, finds Deadpool instead.'

I think Nimrod was specifically named as a villain they're looking at for that job.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Cythereal posted:

And rumor has it that Deadpool 3 is planned to be 'Super-serious villain comes looking for the X-Men to have a grimdark epic story, finds Deadpool instead.'

I think Nimrod was specifically named as a villain they're looking at for that job.

Isn't that basically part of the plot of Deadpool 2?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

wow, drag him king

Elementary seemed like a terrible idea as it was overshadowed by the BBC show that came out around the same time. The BBC version immediately started eating it's own poo poo, while Elementary chugged along and ended up pretty watchable.

Miller as Xavier would make a lot of sense if they're done with McAvoy & Stewart

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

I've only watched a couple of episodes, but yeah, their chemistry is excellent and their relationship works extremely well, both as a narrative device for the episode and also in the sense of two people balancing each other out and learning to work together.

I also like how, even as early as the second episode, Sherlock doesn't put things together instantly or magically. He occasionally comes to incorrect conclusions, makes himself look a fool, and then corrects later.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

Elementary seemed like a terrible idea as it was overshadowed by the BBC show that came out around the same time. The BBC version immediately started eating its own poo poo, while Elementary chugged along and ended up pretty watchable.

I never saw a bad episode of Elementary. I saw episodes that were better than other episodes, but I never saw an episode that made me say "Jesus, is this ever a dumpster fire." I saw several episode of Sherlock that made me say that. Over seven seasons Elementary had a total of 154 one hour(ish) episodes. Sherlock had 14 90 minute episode and one "movie." At least a third of them were drek.

Both series at various points did a version of "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton." Sherlock turned "Magnussen" into something like a supervillain, having Lars Mikkelson pissing in a fireplace and lick people. We got to meet Sherlock's parents who were Cumberbatch's parents because... cute, I guess. The only cool bit was Yasmine Akram, who would have vastly improved the fourth season if she'd come back.

Elementary played things differently and closer to the original story. It made "Milverton" just an rear end in a top hat professional backmailer. Sherlock and Joan come into the case when Sherlock's AA sponser's sponser receives a demand for money with the consequences being that the blackmailer will put the video of his daughter getting date-raped onto the internet. No licking or pissing required to establish that Milverton is an evil gently caress. We don't meet Sherlock's parents until later in the series. Dad comes in during the fourth season and is played by John Noble. As for Mom... just watch the series. I don't want to spoil it even under spoiler markings.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 9, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really loved the first two seasons of Sherlock when they aired but trying to watch them again a while back, I realized that only the first episode of each season were any good, and even the S2 opener has some bad bits. Particularly Moriarty, whose portrayal was grating even at the time and has only gotten worse.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chairman Capone posted:

I really loved the first two seasons of Sherlock when they aired but trying to watch them again a while back, I realized that only the first episode of each season were any good, and even the S2 opener has some bad bits. Particularly Moriarty, whose portrayal was grating even at the time and has only gotten worse.

I think in some ways the lack of availability of the actor who played Moriarty on Elementary was kind of a blessing. One of cooler moments was a character reading a letter in their own tone of voice and then it switches to Moriarty's voiceover and it's an awesome "Oh, poo poo!" moment.

Andrew Scott was pretty good the in the first series finale/second series opener, but after like, the fifth time he showed up I was "Jesus gently caress, not him again."

It's sort of like there was a custody battle over Sherlock Holmes between Elementary and Sherlock. Sherlock got London, 221B Baker Street, Scotland Yard, male Afghanistan war veteran Dr. John Watson, Mycroft who "is" the British government, etc. all the trappings of the Holmes canon. Elementary got the character's soul and that was worth more than all the rest of that crap put together.

One thing that helped me watch Sherlock was imagining it to be a loose prequel to Elementary. Sherlock is Holmes in Britain, riding high (and being high) showing off and living free of any bad consequences.

Elementary is what happens after he crashes back to Earth, with negative consequences ready and eager to punch him in the balls at the slightest provocation.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Moriarty is the best thing about Sherlock in my opinion, Andrew Scott is great in the role.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

Moriarty is the best thing about Sherlock in my opinion, Andrew Scott is great in the role.

He was good. So he was brought back. Again and again and again and again. It got to the point where my favorite episode of Sherlock is "The Sign of Three" and that's partly because not only does Moriarty not appear, he isn't even indirectly mentioned. But mostly it's because of Yasmine Akram as Janine and the little kid who liked murder scenes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Everyone posted:

Both series at various points did a version of "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton." Sherlock turned "Magnussen" into something like a supervillain, having Lars Mikkelson pissing in a fireplace and lick people. We got to meet Sherlock's parents who were Cumberbatch's parents because... cute, I guess. The only cool bit was Yasmine Akram, who would have vastly improved the fourth season if she'd come back.

Sherlock depicting Magnusson as a Rupert Murdoch/Richard Desmond type and then having the protagonist just shoot them was pretty much the best thing the show ever did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Everyone posted:

It's sort of like there was a custody battle over Sherlock Holmes between Elementary and Sherlock. Sherlock got London, 221B Baker Street, Scotland Yard, male Afghanistan war veteran Dr. John Watson, Mycroft who "is" the British government, etc. all the trappings of the Holmes canon. Elementary got the character's soul and that was worth more than all the rest of that crap put together.

Sherlock did Mycroft completely wrong. They had the whole "he is the government" bit, but forgot that Mycroft is incorrigibly lazy and demands a vast price for his services so that he will only ever be called on in times of extreme need - which is why Sherlock despises him, as he sees this as a waste. Instead they had Mycroft as the secret power behind the throne and thus a better Sherlock, meaning Holmes now despises his brother just because he's better than him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

Sherlock depicting Magnusson as a Rupert Murdoch/Richard Desmond type and then having the protagonist just shoot them was pretty much the best thing the show ever did.

That was a cool shocking, twist. And the consequence of Sherlock being sent on a mission that would result in his death was a perfect season finale. Or it would have been if they hadn't done the "Whoops! Moriarty's back. Exile's over three minutes after it started, Sherlock. Welcome home, you adorable murdering scamp, you."

Jedit posted:

Sherlock did Mycroft completely wrong. They had the whole "he is the government" bit, but forgot that Mycroft is incorrigibly lazy and demands a vast price for his services so that he will only ever be called on in times of extreme need - which is why Sherlock despises him, as he sees this as a waste. Instead they had Mycroft as the secret power behind the throne and thus a better Sherlock, meaning Holmes now despises his brother just because he's better than him.

I loved the way they did Irene Adler as Sherlock's supposed equal by making her a dominatrix. "Oohhh sexy-naughty." On Elementary that character would have been one of Sherlock's "exercise partners." For a Tuesday. A slow Tuesday.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pitching Benedict Cumberbatch as the more compassionate, soulful and bohemian brother was a hell of a swing. The guy is a billboard that reads “private school”.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

Pitching Benedict Cumberbatch as the more compassionate, soulful and bohemian brother was a hell of a swing. The guy is a billboard that reads “private school”.

Well, compared to Mycroft "Yes, I regularly sign assassination orders during tea time" Holmes he kind of is. Compared pretty much anyone else, not so much.

In Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker books, Zaphod gets placed in a mental torture device. The device shows a person in comparison to the vast, infinite glory of the universe and that realization of their utter insignificance compared to it breaks the person's mind. Zaphod goes into the device and comes out fine, even somewhat more self-satisfied. We learn that when Zaphod went into the device he left his own universe (call it Universe A) and entered the device from Universe B. Universe B had been specifically created to allow Zaphod to do this Zaphod was the purpose for its existence that therefore Zaphod was by far the most important thing in it.

In Sherlock Sherlock Holmes is in his own Universe B.

In Elementary he's in Universe A.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Right, but we criticise arrogance in actual people, not necessarily in fictional characters - Sherlock in Sherlock is indeed the most important character in Sherlock and much of the series is based around interacting with that - Mycroft isn't just an exaggerated, competent version of Sherlock, he's also literally one of the writers. Moriarty isn't just an intelligent villain, he may as well be the compelling protagonist from a show named Moriarty making a guest appearance.

I'm not saying you have to like or want this kind of meta nonsense, but it's very definitely what the show is doing. Hbomberguy makes the same mistake in his video and ends up asserting that the dull, racist one from the first season is the best episode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Best episode" seems like a low bar to clear from what I've seen of it

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

Right, but we criticise arrogance in actual people, not necessarily in fictional characters - Sherlock in Sherlock is indeed the most important character in Sherlock and much of the series is based around interacting with that - Mycroft isn't just an exaggerated, competent version of Sherlock, he's also literally one of the writers. Moriarty isn't just an intelligent villain, he may as well be the compelling protagonist from a show named Moriarty making a guest appearance.

I'm not saying you have to like or want this kind of meta nonsense, but it's very definitely what the show is doing. Hbomberguy makes the same mistake in his video and ends up asserting that the dull, racist one from the first season is the best episode.

Well, sure. Holmes is arrogant in Elementary as well. The difference is that Elementary treated its characters as though they were real people with real lives and real emotions that matter within the world. Sherlock... kind of didn't most of the time. The closest Sherlock really got to genuine consequences was with the character of Janine. There's a nice moment where Sherlock seems to understand that this was a cool person who could have been a good friend and he doesn't get to have her in his life any more because of the lovely way that he treated her.

Bringing this back to the MCU and WandaVision, Sherlock is like the WandaVision sitcom with the various characters acting as living props giving scripted responses to support whatever plot is occurring within the episode. Elementary generally allows its characters to react in some degree the way that real people would respond to situations instead of doing something "because that's what the script says."

Violator
May 15, 2003

I gotta say I’m super impressed by how in-depth you all know about these Sherlock shows. Any thoughts on the RDJ movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Violator posted:

I gotta say I’m super impressed by how in-depth you all know about these Sherlock shows. Any thoughts on the RDJ movies?

Not really. Bad accent. Watch Elementary.