Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

in 2013 we had a neighbour that went on and on for a literal hour plus to someone he had over about how nirvana was the pinnacle of human musical achievement and it was all downhill since then. he's play clips and just drone and drone on about how kurt was such a genius, occasionally punctuated with clips of songs he would play.

now my wife and i impersonate that guy every so often because that's just the funniest poo poo. imagine thinking $popular_thing_from_when_i_was_16 is the best it ever got and just stopping there, giving no thought to what came before or since. talk about arrested development.

i'll fully cop to not getting some of what's popular today (:corsair:) but i'll never sit back and smugly say "that's it, culture is done, we're all done here now"

it was just this sort of thing. this guy was going on about how great pearl jam, chris cornell, ben harper were etc

I almost lost it when waifu asked "do you like radiohead" and he said "yeah everythig before kid a". i am a hilariously out of touch fatlord goon nerd but I'll be damned if I am just gonna roll over into dad rock mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'll cop to liking radiohead but their later stuff is way, way better imo

the bends and pablo honey are completely forgettable and honestly i find them kinda grating now, i don't think i've even tried to listen to them in over a decade

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
even dad rock enthusiasts have new bands they could be listening to like the national, so even that's not an excuse

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

President Beep posted:

people that honk off about the state of current music must only listen to commercial radio or something. new stuff is prolific, some of it is really good, and there are so many virtual venues out there.

it may be less focused than years past but in a way we’re in music’s golden age right now. there’s just so much stuff out there.

hell we even have prodigies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbDS21P4fRA

kid was like 16 when he made this

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

even dad rock enthusiasts have new bands they could be listening to like the national, so even that's not an excuse

he loves the national :shepface:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

President Beep posted:

in a way we’re in music’s golden age right now. there’s just so much stuff out there.

yeah the death of the record label as mediator of what you got to hear from the rest of the world is really a significant change in how music works. Definitely agree with this just because thanks to the internet there's vibrant communities of every kind of music, from classical to punk to even post-punk

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the communities for old rear end prog rock from 50 years ago ain’t that great anymore

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

help my fav bands and their label have got no idea what a Spotify is because they are either all dead or don’t understand the internet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

the communities for old rear end prog rock from 50 years ago ain’t that great anymore

maybe this is ok though, if you think about it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

maybe this is ok though, if you think about it

the songs last way longer than they have any right to do so why can’t their communities also last forever (as long as they change scales many times)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

*configures sine wave frequencies by hand on synthesizer stack that’s 9 ft tall*

i like first wave electronic music

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cold on a Cob posted:

now my wife and i impersonate that guy every so often because that's just the funniest poo poo. imagine thinking $popular_thing_from_when_i_was_16 is the best it ever got and just stopping there, giving no thought to what came before or since. talk about arrested development.

people who won't shut up about the beatles drive me up the fuckin' wall :rant:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
the thing that sucks about modern music is that as i've aged i have less time to explore it than i did when i was younger

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

anyone who has kids should know that the skeletal system stops growing somewhere around 21 or so and you cant make the skeleton stronger afterward

and that simply by putting a load thru the skeleton (strength training is specific for this) before that age will make the skeleton stronger, and (imo) should be specifically encouraged especially in women

for one of my sons itll be pleasure the other not so much lol

nah from what I have read doing box jumps
helps with bone density all the way through your mid 30s.

after that of course you have to give up and dis, etc.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

prefect posted:

people who won't shut up about the beatles drive me up the fuckin' wall :rant:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Blinkz0rz posted:

the thing that sucks about modern music is that as i've aged i have less time to explore it than i did when i was younger

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the beatles were fine and it was long time ago. now shut up and die

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

on the whole, monkees > beatles which is both surprising and not surprising at the same time

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

don't push your Kinks on other people

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Beatles rule

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
for me to poop on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

axolotl farmer posted:

don't push your Kinks on other people

hehehe

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fortaleza posted:

The Beatles rule

they weren't 100% bad

https://twitter.com/Calvbetton/status/1358860428223406082

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

george > paul > ringo > john

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
Quincy Jones did a thing about how the Beatles were horrible musicians who lacked the most basic education in music history that Jones considered necessary to be any good at their jobs, but I can't find it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

john and george were a couple of potheads who thought smoking weed automatically made everything they did profound.

paul spent the entire time wishing he was john

ringo was also there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lennon might be the worst/most overrated boomer culture hero

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

there's always a hard times article

Opinion: The Beatles Are Just a 34-Hit Wonder

i mean in some ways it's right too

quote:

The playing field has been completely leveled. Those 34 hits back then would probably equate to no more than three or four today tops and maybe a Toyota Prius commercial. If you’re lucky you might even get to charge an extra buck for your album on Bandcamp and get a whole $23 a year from Spotify royalties to split between four band members.

that prius commercial would be yellow submarine and the prius would show various family outings and a dog hopping in during a storm and everyone getting wet in a silly way too

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahaha

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the beatles are good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah they're good, like GOOD LORD WHAT IS THAT BAND DOING TO THEY'RE ANI!?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ok that joke may have been stretching it a bit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i will always laugh at Big Hat Ringo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rotor posted:

i will always laugh at Big Hat Ringo

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Gentle Autist posted:

the beatles are good

yeah, good at lovely music

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
after trump got elected, i eventually completely wrote off snl ever being a coherent or even non-malignant source of political satire. same for being a creative, energetic attempt at comedy (barring a few completely accidental successes)

now as i watch the vintage eps from the late 80s and 90s and early 00s, when i was younger and more of its target audience, it's really clear it's always been extra horrible and extremely lazy :smith:

this should not come as news to anyone of course

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
there was one this weekend from '93 where i got stoked for unfrozen caveman lawyer and it was the lovely spanish one :-/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mad TV was always the superior show.

It wasn't good tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Show was where it was at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdAJefPME4