Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Severedseven posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my Pixel 2 soon. I think it's done getting updates and battery is draining pretty fast now days. I was looking at getting the Pixel 4a 5g but wasn't sure if this would be considered a side grade. Will the 4a preform better or just the same as my 2 (and if so should I try to make my 2 last until there is a 5a)?

I made that exact update. It is a great upgrade, way faster, much better battery, better in pretty much every way. The 5g part is probably not a big upgrade, unless you're one of the rare few where it is faster, but everything else about it is great. Even the standard 4a would be a nice update.

Here's a post I made about it after I got it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060&userid=115829&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post510123887

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My s20 just wipes the notifications folder sometimes (after I've taken the time to set up app specific sounds) so Samsung has some kinda fuckery going on there

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I also went from a Pixel 2 to 4a 5g and think it was worth it (did do this when Google was giving me ~$170 trade-in value for the 2 during the Black Friday sale though). Battery is better, speakers are better, having a headphone jack again has been useful for me, no more large top/bottom screen bezels has been nice. Camera is a bit better (and the wide angle option is nice sometimes) and the phone feels snappier, but honestly the camera on the 2 is still pretty good. Worth noting that the 4a 5g is noticeably bigger than the 2. That hasn't bothered me, but the 4a is similar to the 2 in size if you think the 4a 5g is too big (but you do lose the additional wide angle camera lens if you go that route).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't seem to have a .nomedia file in the folder in question, it shows up as empty to my media apps and SolidExplorer, but it looks like the space is still in use even if I can't see where.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
Thanks for the input guys! I'll start looking for deals on the 4a 5g now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I don't seem to have a .nomedia file in the folder in question, it shows up as empty to my media apps and SolidExplorer, but it looks like the space is still in use even if I can't see where.

I guess I'd check the card in a PC or Mac and see if there are any SD utilities that might help.

You said the space appears to be used, if you copy the "empty" folder to another location on the card using Solid, does the available space decrease and the new folder remain empty?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Pixel 5 update after a month of ownership. I still love it! Battery life is still totally bananas even with forced 90hz, happy not to juggle cameras anymore (OP camera and GCam), everything just feels great. Pixel Stand is a nice bonus too

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I upgraded from a Pixel 2 to a Pixel 5 and while I love the battery life and the smoother feel to everything, I actually miss the bezel. I could reach the entire area of the Pixel 2 display with my thumb, but on the 5, I keep needing to move my hand around to reach the top or bottom.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone recommended me OpenCam yesterday and I'm trying it out but the S20 camera is still poo poo. I never could get the Gcam to work

e: just downloaded it from here and it worked all of a sudden

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 7, 2021

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
So I bought a s21 ultra (switching from iPhone) as the trade in deals were just incredible).

Is there really anything I need to do except disabling iMessage before I swap my SIM card? Assuming there is like a transfer data and settings app that exists?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Zarfol posted:

So I bought a s21 ultra (switching from iPhone) as the trade in deals were just incredible).

Is there really anything I need to do except disabling iMessage before I swap my SIM card? Assuming there is like a transfer data and settings app that exists?

Not really, the smart switch app is pretty easy. I went wired when I did mine.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hey recommend me a new posting phone if you've got one that fits the bill

Wish list:

***Most Important*** Can type a whole lot of words quickly without loving up (no forced autocorrect when i use swipe keyboard, word prediction can't be stupid, bug/crash free)
Cost: <350, hopefully far less
Durability / thickness / Battery life
Mainstream hardware brand, well tested
If possible, supports WebGL2 browser capabilities for testing my app, but it can be slow. It's fine if you don't know this one
No forced biometrics, weird monitoring, or big security issues
Storage space is manageable enough to text people videos
No Apple anymore -- guess that leaves Android, but ideally unrestricted for programming & without forced OEM bloatware or spyware

e: My current phone was like $100-200 in 2015, so it can be real cheap and still be a big enough leap up

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 8, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Happy Thread posted:

Wish list:

***Most Important*** Can type a whole lot of words quickly without loving up (no forced autocorrect when i use swipe keyboard, word prediction can't be stupid, bug/crash free)
Cost: <350, hopefully far less
If possible, supports WebGL2 browser capabilities for testing my app, but it can be slow. It's fine if you don't know this one
No Apple anymore -- guess that leaves Android, but ideally unrestricted for programming & without forced OEM bloatware or spyware

e: My current phone was like $100-200 in 2015, so it can be real cheap and still be a big enough leap up

If you’re going to keep it for 5 years again, it is absolutely worth springing for the Pixel 4a over the Moto G Power, which is your other good option.

If you do decide to cheap out, be sure to try this years Moto and not last year’s, they’re both $200. https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power-gen-2/p?skuId=539

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Happy Thread posted:

gesture-typing keyboards do not work without autocorrect, they have to guess which letters you're drawing over to use. i also can't think of any device with "forced biometrics," and if you use android, everything you do will be monitored. if security really is your top priority, you should be buying an apple device, but the pixel 4a is probably the closest to your asks

this post reads like it was written by a paranoid/qanon-type person. if you feel that you are being watched or that people are conspiring against you, please seek help. if you just want to do drugs, please do them safely

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

butt dickus posted:

gesture-typing keyboards do not work without autocorrect, they have to guess which letters you're drawing over to use.
I swipe in gboard with autocorrect disabled and it works fine. The guessing, the inputting the top suggestion and the showing alternates are all separate from autocorrect, which point it is to override whatever final decision you made, from what I can tell. I guess it has its function for tap typing to root out words that are one letter off. It's entirely unnecessary for swiping in any case.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
in my head i counted those as the same thing, because i always turn it off. i'm still gonna consider them similar since it has to guess what you meant. certain words are drat near impossible to gesture type consistently, especially anything with "our" in it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There's a few different keyboard annoyances that I want to avoid. Out of the ones I have in mind, first I'll hit the one being discussed. Certain installable swipe keyboards have the problem:

The popular "Word Flow" swipe-based keyboard on Apple phones:

This one will completely ignore your OS's autocorrect setting, treating it like it's always on. So if I want to type something that's not a common word like... let's say your username is "thare", then I first need to manually tap it out instead of swiping it, to tell it that I'm trying to say a word that's not built-in.... but then when I hit spacebar, suddenly it autocorrects to the nearest word anyway, which is "that's".

3 characters different from what I manually typed. Even though I explicitly asked for a non-standard word since I asked for manual tapping. Even though I went to the trouble of turning off everything related to Autocorrect in keyboard settings.

It's not the whole reason I'm ditching Apple (what did me in was their planned obsolescence hardware failures leaving me with an expensive brick twice, and their forced proprietary file management system making it intentionally hard to get things off of it), but it still sucks a whole lot to continually nanny this undocumented feature when typing something long.

Apple's new built in swipe keyboard:

The stock keyboard is even more infuriating, in a way. It will suddenly replace the *previous* word to the one you just finished swiping, which is very hard to notice. For example, I just swiped out "swiping swiping" and it said "sweeping", then retroactively corrected BOTH words to "swiping swiping" after the second word completed. It adjusts based on context. If you saw the word you typed and liked it and accepted it already, tough luck, it's got a better idea now---God help you if you're not watching carefully. It happens even with everything related to autocorrect turned off, so it's just undocumented behavior. There aren't enough ways to tell the phone not to gently caress with your typing.

My (Android) Samsung Galaxy On5:

Here's the separate issue of swipe predictions just being devastatingly bad. On this phone I can consistently swipe out the word "the" and get the word "tee" instead, over and over, probably because I just put down an Apple phone with a slightly differently sized keyboard. Here's the problem though, "tee" is not nearly as common a word as "the". If I'm typing fast I don't want "tee".

I just swiped out "hello" and got "belli", which is not a word. I just tried to type "I" in sentence and ended up with "ib". Those letters are not close together, and more importantly, "ib" is not a word. It doesn't seem to prioritize much more common words over nonsense words that it happens to know. It doesn't seem to have any sense of grammar; it just guessed the word "radio" in a sentence that clearly was building up to a verb. Occasionally it will throw in insulting words. It's impossible to type anything long this way without endless frustration and uncaught mistakes.

How is modern Android on this topic? I know there's different software branches of Android / different OEMs and OS versions---would any of the variation potentially affect keyboards? Does anybody's hardware somehow interfere with typing? In summary, I want something that types well, I don't want any undocumented user-overriding behavior in my keyboard, and I'd prefer it to be a good guesser.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 8, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Try Microsoft SwiftKey. I like it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Thread posted:

How is modern Android on this topic? I know there's different software branches of Android / different OEMs and OS versions---would any of the variation potentially affect keyboards? Does anybody's hardware somehow interfere with typing? In summary, I want something that types well, I don't want any undocumented user-overriding behavior in my keyboard, and I'd prefer it to be a good guesser.

In my opinion Gboard and the rest have done nothing but go down the toilet in accuracy sometime around Marshmallow. The algorithm they all use prioritizes statistically common words, even if they don't start with the loving letter you started your swipe with. They give no priority to time spent over a letter in determining what word you want except to open the choice of accents (long/short/umlaut/etc.). And even accuracy has less priority over their loving algorithm than whatever mysterious statistical bullshit is being used. When my Goddamned finger isn't near a particular letter, I don't want it to be loving used! :rant: For gently caress's sake, every keyboard has borders and space around and between every letter! How is this so loving hard to figure out!?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meanwhile, I feel like gboard has implanted electrodes right into my brain as it seems like I can just vaguely hint at words and they come up like magic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Charles posted:

Try Microsoft SwiftKey. I like it

SwiftKey learned all my usernames and types "ohdear" when I put down a colon, so I feel it knows me well. :ohdear:

Edit: I don't swipe on it, however.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Living the 2 phone life has been super nice.

I've had the Pocophone m3 for about 2 months now and I still love it.

I actually paid $15 for SwiftKey back in the day before it was acquired and made into a free app. I received nothing for being an original customer and I'm still kind of upset about it.

It requires a lot of training but once you have been using SwiftKey for about a month the prediction and swipe feature is better than anything else out there.

It's still my go to Android keyboard.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I keep meaning to try and learn to type out words (or even just focus my attention on the keyboard instead of the top half of the screen) but nope, just will never learn to type worth a gently caress on a phone ever. Swype came installed on my old Galaxy S and have used literally nothing else since, besides a brief stint having to type out words on Windows phone before they, too added swipe to type.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

I keep meaning to try and learn to type out words (or even just focus my attention on the keyboard instead of the top half of the screen) but nope, just will never learn to type worth a gently caress on a phone ever. Swype came installed on my old Galaxy S and have used literally nothing else since, besides a brief stint having to type out words on Windows phone before they, too added swipe to type.

Nexus 5 was my first smartphone and swiping was a key reason I went Android first. A friend had one of the early Galaxy phones and it was the coolest feature.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I used to swipe all the time, but for some reason stopped. Probably when phones got so big it was too far for my tiny thumb to quickly traverse.

Yep, swiped all that. Definitely must have started when phones got too wide for my tiny hands to have my one thumb do it alone. (I am only 5' so that point was a few phones ago.) Two thumbs is quicker for me now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I literally still use the old Swype keyboard even though it was discontinued and you can't buy or download it anymore. I just let Google migrate it from one phone to the next. No other keyboard comes close in my opinion in accuracy and useful shortcuts.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread posted:

Wish list:

Cost: (redacted)

Twerk from Home posted:

If you’re going to keep it for 5 years again, it is absolutely worth springing for the Pixel 4a over the Moto G Power, which is your other good option.

If you do decide to cheap out, be sure to try this years Moto and not last year’s, they’re both $200. https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power-gen-2/p?skuId=539

Thanks! Could there even be any phones that are vastly cheaper than these, that still pass the above? I lack much budget leeway for emergency phone replacement, plus I don't know of any requirements above that exclude old models.

Does anyone here have an outdated phone that isn't too far off the mark? Or do outdated models inherently have battery issues, because of the older battery unit that's been sitting for years?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 9, 2021

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Happy Thread posted:

Thanks! Could there even be any phones that are vastly cheaper than these, that still pass the above? I lack much budget leeway for emergency phone replacement, plus I don't know of any requirements above that exclude old models.

Does anyone here have an outdated phone that isn't too far off the mark? Or do outdated models inherently have battery issues, because of the older battery unit that's been sitting for years?

If you want to squeeze as low as you can on price, look at the Nokia 2.4 or go used.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've always typed on my giant phones with my thumbs like a video game controller so swipe is worthless.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

bull3964 posted:

And.....I think I agree with them. This has been, without a doubt, the most cohesive Samsung product I've owned. A lot of that is down to One UI 3.1 which cleans up some stuff and FINALLY allows you to use google feed. Home Up changes the folders to popup as well instead of the full screen top justified they are as default.

Thanks for the review and reminding me to check Samsung updates. I just installed Android 11 on my S20 FE 5G. I can confirm that now the touch screen issues dont even occur in the test app so they might have fixed it completely now if anyone still cares with the S21 out.

How did you change the feed to Google Discover? I found instructions but they didn't work for me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thread, I'm looking for some earbuds or whatever bluetooth that are good for training, they can be earbuds or something with a wire (something not too expensive). What's the concensus on Anker ones? The Soundcore Liberty Neo are on my price range:

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Bl...12871538&sr=8-3

Mind the amazon.com link, I can get them for a bit less on Amazon.es. Are they worth it? If someone has a suggestion on something else I'm open. My budget can't go higher than 35-40€.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Thread, I'm looking for some earbuds or whatever bluetooth that are good for training, they can be earbuds or something with a wire (something not too expensive). What's the concensus on Anker ones? The Soundcore Liberty Neo are on my price range:

Mind the amazon.com link, I can get them for a bit less on Amazon.es. Are they worth it? If someone has a suggestion on something else I'm open. My budget can't go higher than 35-40€.

I'd recommend the 2019 Spirit X. They're not True Wireless™, but they have IP68, and the per-charge runtime is insane:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6N4HNP/ref=emc_b_5_t
- 30usd, so they should be 25-30 euro.

I've worn an older model for years at work. I like 'em.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ITT you have people who are either like "oh yeah I have [every flagship released in the past 6 months]" or "whats the best phone I can get for no more than $47.95"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

I'd recommend the 2019 Spirit X. They're not True Wireless™, but they have IP68, and the per-charge runtime is insane:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6N4HNP/ref=emc_b_5_t
- 30usd, so they should be 25-30 euro.

I've worn an older model for years at work. I like 'em.

I really dislike the volume/battery controls hanging in the cord. It fuckin moves all around when running fast and the plastic piece to tighten the cord is easy to lose (I have ones like these and it's drat annoying).

lol just checked on Amazon.es and the spirit ones are 40€ :ughh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I really dislike the volume/battery controls hanging in the cord. It fuckin moves all around when running fast and the plastic piece to tighten the cord is easy to lose (I have ones like these and it's drat annoying).

I put the cord under my shirt; the control ends up being a little above my neckline, so it's pretty convenient.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Guillermus posted:

These are the ones that I have for gym use:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Sweatproof-Cancelling/dp/B07PBS21V8/

Controls are all on the right earpiece, stay in place great, and going strong on 3 years

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The $200 discount on the s21+ is making me consider getting it in favor of waiting on what OP is doing with the 9. Its been almost 3 years since I last got a phone, its about time to switch.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The $200 discount on the s21+ is making me consider getting it in favor of waiting on what OP is doing with the 9. Its been almost 3 years since I last got a phone, its about time to switch.

I'd wait, the s21+ Is a little bit of a bunt this year.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UncleButts posted:

These are the ones that I have for gym use:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Sweatproof-Cancelling/dp/B07PBS21V8/

Controls are all on the right earpiece, stay in place great, and going strong on 3 years

Oh, I had one of that type and was my favourite. Sadly the power button got hosed (lovely brand) and didn't last a year. From what I see the Mpow Flame 2 has great reviews and goes for 20€ more or less.

I'll wait until the end of February and see what I get but your suggestion is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My S21 Ultra is currently downloading some sort of software update over data. It does not specify what it is or how large of a file it is, it's just in the notification shade when I pull it down. I have my settings in the Play Store to only update over wifi.

Tapping it only shows a progress bar with no discernible way to pause it. How the gently caress do I tell this stupid phone to not blow through my data?!

e: it's a security update, why the gently caress is this downloading now