Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=461360

Trying to get this going again after a big nostalgia hit for this game. Feel free to apply for a new team.

The Goon Guide to X11 - Read this new people for some great advice

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Basic Information

Xpert Eleven is a football manager game where you manage a fictitious football team. The thought behind the game is that you compete with your friends in a league that you create yourselves. You manage your team/teams in good times as well as bad. Your tasks consist of selecting your team and working out some cunning tactical moves. You don't need to know anything about soccer at all and the game is designed to only take up about 15 minutes of your time twice a week at a minimum. You may find yourself enjoying it so much that you spend a few hours trying to find that perfect transfer, though...

Example Squad:

Example Player:

Example Match:

One fun part of the league is press releases- it gives you a chance to smack talk your opponents and write how your team is full of winners who just constantly get screwed by RNG poor circumstances. Also you get money every week you write a press release so just do it!

Xpert Eleven also has VIP, which thankfully gives you absolutely no advantage over regular players. However, it does give you access to neat stats and charts where you can truly understand how hard your team chokes under pressure.

Also, you can rename your players to whatever idiot gimmick you want. I do get final say on names so no, you can't name your entire team "Weedlord Bonerhitler".

Goon League Information

We're in the thirditeration of the Goonship League: http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=461360. The previous league went for 20 seasons before fizzing out. Seasons last about 8-10 weeks and there is plenty of time for a new team to get their youth going and turn into a bunch of superstars. Right now we are starting from scratch again and will see if there are enough players to set up multiple leagues to promote and relegate into.

The first and second league played for 20 strong seasons and we had a blast. Rivalries were formed, broken, and soap was had for all.
Feel free to invite non-goons but be sure they're a good fit. Most of the poo poo talking happens on the forum too, but that's their loss.
I check the game daily so team approvals shouldn’t take too long. If for some reason I’m slacking post in this thread!

Need more information?

I've set up a discord for the league here.

There is an FAQ here: http://www.xperteleven.com/faq.aspx
The rules of the game: http://www.xperteleven.com/ruler.aspx?RuleID=34

The Goon Guide to X11 - Read this new people for some great advice

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Housekeeping

Long term inactives (3 weeks + of no activity) will be cleaned between seasons.

Previous Threads
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657166
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638431
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602737

Season Winners

Season 1 (Placement) -
Norfolk-in-Chance (Rapner)
ABCDE FC (Spyde)
Capitalist Pigs (JiveTurkey)
Sheds of Grey (Masonity)

Season 2 - Bromo-Dragonflies (ShadowIz)

Participate!

Write cool things! Stories! Maybe this time I'll do something with the league!

Enjoy!

Rapner fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

This seems pretty interesting, and something I'll join up for.

Is the google docs updated to the game currently? I see comments in it from 2015, and I don't know if the game has been updated since then, never played it.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

Is the google docs updated to the game currently? I see comments in it from 2015, and I don't know if the game has been updated since then, never played it.

As far as I can tell there hasn’t been any updates since then, no. Have a look at the last posts in the previous threads, might give some idea about last activity levels.

I’m happy to go through the release notes and update it

Rapner
May 7, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

Make sure you join our private league.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

We're at 3/5 now!

The league should start when we have at least 5 players. I believe we can add more mid-season, but 5 is the minimum to kick it off.

I figure it's time to look at my team and see what work I have ahead of me.

Oh. Oh dear. :barf:

A whooole lot of crap in this squad. At least there is an 18/4 but that's about all I can say for this pack of tubby sunday leaguers.

My high level plan right now is to buy some 'ciggie butt' players, very cheap older players and a bunch of young potential strong players. They should balance out in age... Then play a few seasons and hope I can build a competitive team cheaply.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

I trawled through the change notes since approximately 2012 to note down everything that has changed since that guide was last edited:

2021-01-28
Changing DV from 20 to -10 +10
Lowering injury frequency some, length and severity is scaled to season length
Lower ability to create chances for defensive and very defensive playing styles

2015-06-17
New special quality, long passer.

2014-03-19
Gold heart addition - Player with gold heart will perform an extra 3% better than players with heart if your team is losing

2014-01-29
Lowered the minimum evaluation cost from 35000 to 5000.

Edit: There are LOTS of bugfixes and cosmetic changes.

Edit2:

I snooped on Bucketybuck's team to see why it was worth a fair bit more than mine. I guess I know who my soaping target is for season 1. :D (for the newbies 17/5 is really nice for a young player)

Rapner fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 8, 2021

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
I'm in, and soon to be running my team into the ground!

Rapner
May 7, 2013

We just need two more players to start the league now. I think I've roped in one more - if anyone can reach out to any of the players of the last league that would be awesome

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'll probably jump back into this between meetings tomororw.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Fine, you got me. I was just thinking about X11 the other day, too.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I'm in as soon as I can remember my password and come up with a team name gimmick. I demand a 17/4 midfielder and an over-acted bitter rivalry with someone in return.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I have done a terrible thing and spammed everyone's PMs on the old thread. Hence we should see a spurt of activity. :11tea:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Rapner posted:

I have done a terrible thing and spammed everyone's PMs on the old thread. Hence we should see a spurt of activity. :11tea:

hell yeah lmao

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Rapner posted:

Thanks for that, I'd like to get in on this gain it was a lot of fun in the old days. What do I need to know and or do.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
So uh, has the engine changed in ten years or is it just 3-5-2, soap floors, mark and bruise?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Thanks for that, I'd like to get in on this gain it was a lot of fun in the old days. What do I need to know and or do.

Join the new league here: http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=461360

Destrado posted:

So uh, has the engine changed in ten years or is it just 3-5-2, soap floors, mark and bruise?

I posted the changes to the actual game I could find, I'll repeat here:

2021-01-28
Changing DV from 20 to -10 +10
Lowering injury frequency some, length and severity is scaled to season length
Lower ability to create chances for defensive and very defensive playing styles

2015-06-17
New special quality, long passer.

2014-03-19
Gold heart addition - Player with gold heart will perform an extra 3% better than players with heart if your team is losing

2014-01-29
Lowered the minimum evaluation cost from 35000 to 5000.

I've yet to see how much of a difference it makes put the Long Passer SQ + Long Passes might stop the dominance of midfields.

Edit:

We have enough players to start the league now! I think in the interest of letting everyone in that I PMed before I :allbuttons: we should wait a day or two first?

Rapner fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wait a day or two, I forget everything about this game is there a good newbie guide?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Wait a day or two, I forget everything about this game is there a good newbie guide?

Here is the old goonguide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Not much has changed, see my above post about changes in the past 8-9 years that matter.

I need to name the league. I've just gone with Serie Goon for now, but should we memorialise old great players to name each league? Retu Nagele? Uwe Mehle?! Give me your ideas.

Edit:

This guy also has some good posts on building a squad: http://xperteleventips.blogspot.com/2009/01/meeting-your-squad.html

And this blog has some detailed posts if you're willing to dig for them: http://xperteleven-guide.blogspot.com/

Edit 2: Looks like we can do sponsor activities and sack players so starting sooner rather than later is a good idea

Rapner fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 9, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
oh poo poo now I have to remember how this game worked

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Hot dang, look at this pile of poo poo.

Guess I gotta aim for the title in Season 7 after I slash and burn everything but the token 18/4.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Destrado posted:

Hot dang, look at this pile of poo poo.

Guess I gotta aim for the title in Season 7 after I slash and burn everything but the token 18/4.

Everyone is starting on similar huge piles of poo poo so it should make for a very interesting first season. Do you set yourself up for the future or go for the first title on a shoestring budget?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
god drat I am gonna be SO BAD, I can already tell

I've hit the point of going "eh, making my team not suck feels like work, I'll just make a couple minor tweaks here and there" in record time

That's okay, the rest of you can use the points

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Rapner posted:

Everyone is starting on similar huge piles of poo poo so it should make for a very interesting first season. Do you set yourself up for the future or go for the first title on a shoestring budget?

You say this like the answer isn't heavy investment in Hugh Kerry soap futures.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Destrado posted:

You say this like the answer isn't heavy investment in Hugh Kerry soap futures.

This is the way.

I've run out of people to PM on old threads so I guess we give it 24-48 hours for people to notice and kick off the league? With luck we might end up with 15-20 players.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Joined because I’m a sucker for this game every few years. Think I managed a single title last time round pretty late on. Hopefully won’t take as long this time...

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
If I had the time I would re-up, I had a lot of fun with the old league. But I super do not have free time these days, plus I never won a single loving THING last time around and refuse to get that mad at my useless loving players again.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Rapner posted:

You know, I was aware of but successfully ignoring this thread before that

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's been a while since I played X11, but let's go!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Ok I spent all my football bux on young midfielders and a couple old dudes to patch some holes

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oh lord what a pile.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm in, and jealous of your bunch of wastemen. Mine are positive awful in comparison!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm in! What kind of deadlines we looking at for the start of the season

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Masonity posted:

I'm in, and jealous of your bunch of wastemen. Mine are positive awful in comparison!

At least you have a keeper with >4 skill :argh:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I spent so much on transfers that I don't even have a soaping budget for week 1

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

shoplifter posted:

I spent so much on transfers that I don't even have a soaping budget for week 1

You must be the one who sniped all my bids. Turns out I might have plenty of soap money

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Come at me

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ahhh, I vaguely remember this from a very long ago. More than a decade for sure...

How much should you invest in your youth facilities?!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flayer posted:

Ahhh, I vaguely remember this from a very long ago. More than a decade for sure...

How much should you invest in your youth facilities?!

How lucky do you feel?

I always invested the max because it really only takes one good youth to pay for the entire investment, multiples just mean you have money to give form training to the entire team every week for a season. Starting a new team, though, can take some time to ramp itup while your money is better spent on form training and making a team that functions.

e;

Have to watch the transfer wire but its starting to resemble a team. Almost no one usable from the starting set.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 9, 2021

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
oh no, it's back (and still basically the same game)

I'll find my info tonight if there's still room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nephzinho posted:

How lucky do you feel?

I always invested the max because it really only takes one good youth to pay for the entire investment, multiples just mean you have money to give form training to the entire team every week for a season. Starting a new team, though, can take some time to ramp itup while your money is better spent on form training and making a team that functions.
Makes sense. Since it's new teams it is probably better to initially buy and train up a few 4 skill 18 year olds or something.