Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I think I did a bad thing at Costco today. I wasn't paying any attention when checking out and didn't realize they didn't have two persons on the checkout. The cashier was prettty rude to me and I was a little confused. When I started to leave she very loudly thanked the person behind me for putting their groceries on the belt. So yiiiikes. Never had that happen before.

Edit: this page is dedicated to being a good Costco shopper, unlike me

Edit edit: actually no it's dedicated to this particular cashier going to gently caress themselves

Rufio fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
uh how much stuff did you have

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They can get hosed. We get paid to do that. You don't.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
If I had the gun, I could've probably scanned it all without removing anything.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah that's just rear end in a top hat behavior. I mean you should probably put things on the belt as a matter of course but she was out of line there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's such an unspoken protocol too, like is it small stuff you should put on the belt? Should you even bother if you have less than 12 items

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Wait you guys actually have Costco cashiers who talk to you? The ones at the stores near me barely look away from their assistant/boxer/bagger to scan my card.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

They just added self checkout to our store but you have to take everything out of your basket and balance it on a tiny little bagging area. No thanks lol. Just gimme the gun and let me scan away please.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rufio posted:

I think I did a bad thing at Costco today. I wasn't paying any attention when checking out and didn't realize they didn't have two persons on the checkout. The cashier was prettty rude to me and I was a little confused. When I started to leave she very loudly thanked the person behind me for putting their groceries on the belt. So yiiiikes. Never had that happen before.

Edit edit: actually no it's dedicated to this particular cashier going to gently caress themselves

I’ve gotten scolded both for putting things on the belt and for not putting things on the belt :shrug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nobody scolds anyone here what the gently caress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Those people scolding you are probably longtimers, let me tell you you probably thought you put it on the belt right, you probably thought it doesn't matter its all goin back in the cart. You were wrong, there's a goddamn system and you hosed it up. All those fuckers care about is their loving numbers, serious they can also get hosed hard.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Fallom posted:

I’ve gotten scolded both for putting things on the belt and for not putting things on the belt :shrug:

It pretty much comes down to the preference of the cashier. I think it's fine to leave everything in the cart as long as the cashier can keep track of everything they're scanning. If it's a bunch of little stuff then you should take some of it out of the cart. Cashiers will get in trouble if they miss something and they catch it when they check your receipt at the door. That's why some of them insist you unload everything on to the belt, they want to make sure they don't get in trouble for making a mistake.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Leave big items in the cart and put all the smaller boxable items on the belt

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Rufio posted:

They just added self checkout to our store but you have to take everything out of your basket and balance it on a tiny little bagging area. No thanks lol. Just gimme the gun and let me scan away please.

It was hilarious Saturday, with a checker urging people waiting in the only open register line to use self checkout, when all of us had giant things you'd need a price gun to scan.

Maybe next time I will go there, and make a huge deal about lifting 44 pounds of cat litter over the scanner.

Why are there no price guns?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

It was hilarious Saturday, with a checker urging people waiting in the only open register line to use self checkout, when all of us had giant things you'd need a price gun to scan.

Maybe next time I will go there, and make a huge deal about lifting 44 pounds of cat litter over the scanner.

Why are there no price guns?

My local Home Depot has scanner guns with huge 32" touchscreen displays, it's pretty nice. Costco should do that too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rufio posted:

Did you not get a membership until after covid started? Putting poo poo on the belt yourself has always been the norm at every costco I've been to and even when there's two people working each register they appreciate the help.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I mean what is the conveyer belt doing if the cashier is just supposed to take all the stuff out of every cart and scan it and then put it back in the cart al by themself

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jingleheimer posted:

It pretty much comes down to the preference of the cashier. I think it's fine to leave everything in the cart as long as the cashier can keep track of everything they're scanning. If it's a bunch of little stuff then you should take some of it out of the cart. Cashiers will get in trouble if they miss something and they catch it when they check your receipt at the door. That's why some of them insist you unload everything on to the belt, they want to make sure they don't get in trouble for making a mistake.

So what is the point of the person checking my receipt? Pre-COVID I always thought they were making sure I didn’t steal something but now they don’t seem to even count anything and just draw a line through my receipt.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I mean what is the conveyer belt doing if the cashier is just supposed to take all the stuff out of every cart and scan it and then put it back in the cart al by themself

That's a good question because when I'm unloading stuff onto the belt half the time they tell me to leave it in the cart instead so they can just quickly scan everything with their gun and don't have to load it :shrug:

There's no consistency, every cashier seems to have their own preferred way to scan people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nwin posted:

So what is the point of the person checking my receipt? Pre-COVID I always thought they were making sure I didn’t steal something but now they don’t seem to even count anything and just draw a line through my receipt.

I mean that's their job, your guy just sucks at it

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

nwin posted:

They are there to make sure you didn’t get charged extra or had something missed. They usually like to rough count and swipe you on your way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah idk sometimes they tell me to put things on the belt I want in a box or they say just small items or not large items and sometimes the assistant just takes my cart and does it faster than me.

Right now the biggest pain is I can't just let my card ride the belt anymore. Which is extremely minor, but I'm sure bothers someone that it's slowing down their process, now they have to wait for the last customer to amble on out of the checkout area.

I got some LED undercabinet lighting today. Big improvement over nothing. I hate the wall wart but for $30 I can live with it. Why live in darkness until I can remodel my kitchen?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jingleheimer posted:

It's also not always obvious what items are large enough to make the cutoff. I thought I got scolded for putting things on the belt because that was when they had first installed the COVID barriers and I figured they wanted me to step away, but then the next time I went they told me they wanted me to put the small things on the belt.

I'm not too bent out of shape over it, I just want to Do Right By Them

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
in the before times, the door receipt checker once caught that i didn't pick up my amc movie tickets.

went to costco today for 6 things. ended up spending $357. the gloves and scarves were pretty cheap so i bought a lot of those for the homeless shelters. then i saw the boba milk tea popsicles, and the freeze dried durian, and the dried mangoes, and the nigori sake, and the mango cakes, and the pineapple cakes, and the etc

the mango cakes are loving delicious. it's the same bakery that makes the madeleines.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Grabbing an empty box or two from the bin outside and bringing them to checkout with me makes me feel like a Kirkland's version of a rock star.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think we have signs on every register station that says to leave heavy items in the cart and put smaller items on the belt.

I just leave stuff in the cart that I think would be hard for the cashier to pick up.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
I have never heard word one about putting stuff on the belt. I always put little stuff on the belt, any questionable sized/large stuff stays in the cart. I also have a toddler in tow, so having him help put stuff on the belt keeps him occupied while we wait, and Costco cashiers are way more tolerant about the kiddo than lots of other stores I go to

Do the new self checkouts not have a price gun? I haven't used one in over a decade, but I swear the Costco I used to go to in Jersey had a price gun for the big stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pinus Porcus posted:

I have never heard word one about putting stuff on the belt. I always put little stuff on the belt, any questionable sized/large stuff stays in the cart. I also have a toddler in tow, so having him help put stuff on the belt keeps him occupied while we wait, and Costco cashiers are way more tolerant about the kiddo than lots of other stores I go to

Do the new self checkouts not have a price gun? I haven't used one in over a decade, but I swear the Costco I used to go to in Jersey had a price gun for the big stuff.

I think they do but it's only for the self-checkout attendants to use? I've only "used" the self-checkout about 3x (also the amount i've gone since they put them in) and basically everytime I'll get into a lane and then the self-checkout attendent just waves me over and quickly gun-scans it all for me and I just pay. i guess people aren't really using self-checkouts and they're bored so they just scan it all. i've never manually scanned or weighed anything lol

actually makes it pretty quick to get out because cashier-lines will be semi-long yet 8 self-CO stations completely open and they;'l do all the scanning for you anyways. sure why not

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I bought the showerhead that's on sale right now and it is a lot better than the showerhead I had before!!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rufio posted:

I wish the self-scanning area had scanning guns. At least the bagging area is like a 3' by 3' square which is fine enough. I had an oversized item the other day and a cashier just walked over and scanned everything we had in our cart which kinda defeated the purpose of going into the self-checkout.

I bought a soundbar. It was on sale, Yamaha ATS-2090 for $199. So I guess I have one of those now.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Rufio posted:

lol who gives a poo poo get over yourself

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nwin posted:

you were in a Costco yes

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I follow the "leave heavy items in cart, lighter items on belt" protocol except for when I have few enough items that it's all in a single layer within the cart. Then, I leave everything in the cart, but make sure all the items have their UPC facing up so the cashier can quickly and easily scan everything without having to unnecessarily handle the items. It saves us both time, and I've never been reprimanded by cashiers or their checkout utility coworkers.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I follow the "leave heavy items in cart, lighter items on belt" protocol except for when I have few enough items that it's all in a single layer within the cart. Then, I leave everything in the cart, but make sure all the items have their UPC facing up so the cashier can quickly and easily scan everything without having to unnecessarily handle the items. It saves us both time, and I've never been reprimanded by cashiers or their checkout utility coworkers.

This is the way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i would use a scanner gun every chance i got

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my costco has "self" check out now but theres still one person at each kiosk to help you do it quickly

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Pre-pandemic I was usually wrestling two kids so everything is unloaded from the cart before I even noticed.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
My local Costco’s “self-checkouts” are manned by a cashier who does all the scanning for you, which I would applaud as pro-worker except for the part where they started doing this in the middle of a pandemic, before they had a mandatory mask policy in place even.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Light items on the belt. Everything else stays in the cart, UPC flipped up. Checkout done in 30s. Bing bing bong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SirPablo posted:

Light items on the belt. Everything else stays in the cart, UPC flipped up. Checkout done in 30s. Bing bing bong.

This is the way.

I don't know why this is even a discussion.

e: Also return your cart to the corral.