Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I guess Harry Potter is an isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Aardvark! posted:

he's from an alternate universe version of the thread where we're all showing off our deathly hallows tattoos

*Presses dark mark to summon all posters back into the thread*

Goyle Blows

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ungulateman posted:

please read,

another book

I'm currently reading The Course of the Heart which is about some people who when they were in college did some kind of occult sexual ritual and the effects are reverberating in their later adult lives.

I'm also reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang which so far is a really good book of short stories

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can I say that Harry Potter land at Universal was actually pretty fun? I'll never go back, but it was nice to do exactly once.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Who What Now posted:

Can I say that Harry Potter land at Universal was actually pretty fun? I'll never go back, but it was nice to do exactly once.

We went during new years a few years ago (my family paid I can't afford that poo poo) and it was way too crowded to get an honest opinion. But Universal definitely sucked compared to Disney.

Pros: the foam on the butterbeer tastes good, they serve english breakfasts which are shockingly rare in the US, the Daniel Radcliffe holograms in the line for the Hogwarts ride are very convincing

e: I love Daniel Radcliffe. Dude seems like he has a real good head on his shoulders for how weird his childhood was and how rich he is because of it, also he isn't afraid to dunk on JK

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint all seem to have gotten out fairly unscathed from a stupid level of childhood fame and fortune. All of them also pretty quickly worked to disassociate their images from their HP roles so they could move on to doing other poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I did hear that when casting the first movie, Chris Columbus made efforts to screen out any kids with obvious pushy stage parents, after the awful experience everyone had with Home Alone. That might have helped.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Radcliffe was still drunk from the night before in a lot of scenes. He turned out to be a decent actor, tho.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cranappleberry posted:

Radcliffe was still drunk from the night before in a lot of scenes. He turned out to be a decent actor, tho.

I like how he played the luck potion as just being stoned out of his mind

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sydin posted:

Yeah Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint all seem to have gotten out fairly unscathed from a stupid level of childhood fame and fortune. All of them also pretty quickly worked to disassociate their images from their HP roles so they could move on to doing other poo poo.

What are you talking about? Rupert Grint went insane and recreated the life of Elvis. Then they caught him and put him in a cage in las vegas where people throw banana peels at him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm 32, dunno how old any of you are, but for some completely unexplained reason, another childhood favorite series of mine came back to my mind.

A Series of Unfortunate Events. I haven't read any of them in years (well less "read" and more "listen to." I read the first few books in middle school but then I found out Tim Curry did the audiobooks. Also I use audiobooks all the time anyway now but this was a very pleasant surprise)

I hear it got a Netflix series or something that was pretty good or maybe is pretty good if it's still going. Just glad it's still relevant and remembered.

Now those were some hosed up and depressing kid books They maintained their wackiness more than HP did but never lost a step in being grim.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Never read it. But got bored of it's schtick on Netflix before the final season came out.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought the Netflix ASoUE was amazing. The 2 lead kids were kinda meh, but the rest of the cast carried it, especially Warburton. I wasn't really interested in it, but my 5yo daughter would watch it with my wife and eventually I got hooked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm 32, dunno how old any of you are, but for some completely unexplained reason, another childhood favorite series of mine came back to my mind.

A Series of Unfortunate Events. I haven't read any of them in years (well less "read" and more "listen to." I read the first few books in middle school but then I found out Tim Curry did the audiobooks. Also I use audiobooks all the time anyway now but this was a very pleasant surprise)

I hear it got a Netflix series or something that was pretty good or maybe is pretty good if it's still going. Just glad it's still relevant and remembered.

Now those were some hosed up and depressing kid books They maintained their wackiness more than HP did but never lost a step in being grim.

I remember thinking they were a bit try-hard as a teen, but in retrospect the whole themes of 'the world is apathetic to you at best and out to exploit you in every possible way at worst, most authority figures are useless, incompetent and corrupt and even the good ones are usually clueless and restricted by decorum and red tape, institutions exist to exploit people while providing minimal at best service, and no one has any realistic idea of your needs and concerns beyond what's convenient to them', etc.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess Harry Potter is an isekai

Let's see which lovely isekai tropes Harry Potter has:

- A completely milquetoast lead who the plot keeps revolving around.
- Has an abusive family so you don't need to feel bad when he goes to the other world.
- Got a cheat power once he got into the other world (of being filthy rich).
- Has a magical school where the lead excels (in Quidditch, but still).
- Has a rich nobleman who acts as his lovely rival that constantly gets owned.
- Has several girls show interest in him, despite being a boring guy.
- Finds out his new world has slavery in it and just accepts it as par for the course.
- Acquires his own slave and becomes a "good" slave owner.

Yep, it checks out. The only thing missing is Harry getting rich by introducing modern technology into the other world. :v:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

amigolupus posted:

:piss:

Re: SoUE, the books kinda stall in the middle of the series while the writer figures out exactly how they're gonna make a thirteen book series work, but there's some good late entries. The Netflix series was really good, didn't watch the last season yet though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All the Series of Unfortunate Events audiobooks are on youtube btw. It is much better than Harry Potter, both in writing and in the writer not being a soft nazi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Star Wars prequels still manage to do a better job with slavery maybe because the protagonist is a former slave who never really escapes the lifestyle or mentality.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Let's see which lovely isekai tropes Harry Potter has:

- A completely milquetoast lead who the plot keeps revolving around.
- Has an abusive family so you don't need to feel bad when he goes to the other world.
- Got a cheat power once he got into the other world (of being filthy rich).
- Has a magical school where the lead excels (in Quidditch, but still).
- Has a rich nobleman who acts as his lovely rival that constantly gets owned.
- Has several girls show interest in him, despite being a boring guy.
- Finds out his new world has slavery in it and just accepts it as par for the course.

Yep, it checks out. The only thing missing is Harry getting rich by introducing modern technology into the other world. :v:

Wasn't Harry Potter fairly popular when the translation came out in Japan in like 2000? It's possible a lot of these terrible modern isekai tropes can trace themselves directly back to it as inspiration.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Asterite34 posted:

Wasn't Harry Potter fairly popular when the translation came out in Japan in like 2000? It's possible a lot of these terrible modern isekai tropes can trace themselves directly back to it as inspiration.

Yeah I think its this, along with there being a zillion magic high school series in general

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Space Jam isekai?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nah, it's classic Hero's Journey, of the 'spirited away by the fairies' type.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Started reading a Septimus Heap book to my 7yo daughter, any consensus on that series?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does the existence of house elves imply the existence of field elves?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does the existence of house elves imply the existence of field elves?

Snape offers the Black sisters fine elf wine, so I choose to believe that there are actually Lord of the Rings style high elves out there making god tier wine in the Harry Potter world. They all left wizarding Britain because it sucks rear end and is ruled by a shadow cabal of fascists.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Snape offers the Black sisters fine elf wine, so I choose to believe that there are actually Lord of the Rings style high elves out there making god tier wine in the Harry Potter world. They all left wizarding Britain because it sucks rear end and is ruled by a shadow cabal of fascists.

Naw, British wizards are just racist and think the French are a kind of elf.

Beauxbatons is the sole mostly human enclave.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Yeah, Jo. Jfc

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We went during new years a few years ago (my family paid I can't afford that poo poo) and it was way too crowded to get an honest opinion. But Universal definitely sucked compared to Disney.

Pros: the foam on the butterbeer tastes good, they serve english breakfasts which are shockingly rare in the US, the Daniel Radcliffe holograms in the line for the Hogwarts ride are very convincing

We went during Halloween a few years ago, we got to Universal right at opening which is 100% the way to go because when we arrived at the Hogwarts/Hogsmeade section it was really empty and we got on the castle ride immediately. Later in the afternoon we went to Diagon Alley which was 1. insanely more detailed and impressive and 2. also super crowded at that point. I kind of wish we did them in the opposite order, because we would have been able to wonder around the alley a bit more freely and also we kind of breezed past the "castle" part of Hogwarts which was all the ride line, and the line for Gringotts while cool wasn't quite as fun (also someone had vomitted in the corner of one of the elevators :/)

Weirdly we had the exact opposite opinion and my wife loved Universal but hated Disney. I think one of the issues was that we went with a group and did one too many of those character meet and greet things, and also spent too much time in the magic kingdom which has some of the oldest rides.

Zesty posted:

Yeah, Jo. Jfc

She kind of anchored herself to having an semi-omniscient third person narrator anchored to one person* -- in most cases Harry -- so she needed a way to go through Voldemort's backstory without breaking that conceit or doing anything overly creative with her plot structure.

* there's probably a more accurate word for this I'm blanking on

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Third-person limited is the term I've heard used.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Semi-relatedly, apparently the reason Universal got the Harry Potter license is that JK Rowling insisted they have a Hogwarts Express train, and Disney didn't want to make yet another train.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Who What Now posted:

I went back in 2011, got drunk and then went to the wand shop and demanded they sell me cedric's wand (only available at the time in a triwizard tournament set).

My family went there without me (not because of the drunk wand ranting) later that year and got it for me since they had since starting selling it alone

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Guy A. Person posted:

We went during Halloween a few years ago, we got to Universal right at opening which is 100% the way to go because when we arrived at the Hogwarts/Hogsmeade section it was really empty and we got on the castle ride immediately. Later in the afternoon we went to Diagon Alley which was 1. insanely more detailed and impressive and 2. also super crowded at that point. I kind of wish we did them in the opposite order, because we would have been able to wonder around the alley a bit more freely and also we kind of breezed past the "castle" part of Hogwarts which was all the ride line, and the line for Gringotts while cool wasn't quite as fun (also someone had vomitted in the corner of one of the elevators :/)

Weirdly we had the exact opposite opinion and my wife loved Universal but hated Disney. I think one of the issues was that we went with a group and did one too many of those character meet and greet things, and also spent too much time in the magic kingdom which has some of the oldest rides.

She kind of anchored herself to having an semi-omniscient third person narrator anchored to one person* -- in most cases Harry -- so she needed a way to go through Voldemort's backstory without breaking that conceit or doing anything overly creative with her plot structure.

HBP starts with a scene between Snape, Malfoy's mom, and Bellatrix Harry isn't privy to at all, and I remember thinking it felt really out of place because of this.

It's dumb too because OotP establishes Harry and Voldy have some sort of psychic connection that Harry could block if he was assed enough to learn the mind reading defense magic, but he isn't and so he keeps having mind meld moments with Voldy. So just, like... have Harry dream Tom's memories where Tom went around and put together the pieces of his origin story.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine if there were proper POV chapters and Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone had chapters from Ron and Petunia and Snape and Draco and Dumbledore and Hagrid

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm reminded of various discussions I've heard over the years about how all Slytherins are not in fact ugly, it's just Harry doesn't like them and so it's merely his untrustworthy opinion that Pansy has a face like a pug.

I never bought this argument. Harry's perspective is pretty clearly supposed to be right almost all of the time. Incidentally, he comments more on Tom Riddle's handsomeness than anyone else's appearance, even Ginny's.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sydin posted:

HBP starts with a scene between Snape, Malfoy's mom, and Bellatrix Harry isn't privy to at all, and I remember thinking it felt really out of place because of this.

It's dumb too because OotP establishes Harry and Voldy have some sort of psychic connection that Harry could block if he was assed enough to learn the mind reading defense magic, but he isn't and so he keeps having mind meld moments with Voldy. So just, like... have Harry dream Tom's memories where Tom went around and put together the pieces of his origin story.

I mean the first chapter in several of the books were from someone else's POV before it goes to Harry for the rest. Only books 2, 3 and 5 are exclusively from Harry's POV.

Philosopher's Stone starts with Dumbleore's POV, Goblet of Fire starts with the groundskeeper who gets murdered, HBP starts with the Prime Minister meeting Scrimgeour then the Snape chapter, DH starts with a big Death Eater scene with Voldemort.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm reminded of various discussions I've heard over the years about how all Slytherins are not in fact ugly, it's just Harry doesn't like them and so it's merely his untrustworthy opinion that Pansy has a face like a pug.

I never bought this argument. Harry's perspective is pretty clearly supposed to be right almost all of the time. Incidentally, he comments more on Tom Riddle's handsomeness than anyone else's appearance, even Ginny's.

Rowling: "I loathe Pansy Parkinson. I don't love Draco but I really dislike her. She's every girl who ever teased me at school. She's the Anti-Hermione. I loathe her."

So yeah, no projection other than the author's.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

I mean the first chapter in several of the books were from someone else's POV before it goes to Harry for the rest. Only books 2, 3 and 5 are exclusively from Harry's POV.

Philosopher's Stone starts with Dumbleore's POV, Goblet of Fire starts with the groundskeeper who gets murdered, HBP starts with the Prime Minister meeting Scrimgeour then the Snape chapter, DH starts with a big Death Eater scene with Voldemort.

IIRC the groundskeeper and Death Eater scenes are pseudo-Harry's perspective because it's supposed to be Harry dreaming/seeing what Voldemort is seeing because of their aforementioned psychic link.

You're right about the other ones though, I forgot about the scene where magical Tony Blair goes to meet actual Tony Blair to tell him he's been sacked.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

Yeah, I think the biggest discrepancy is that sometimes you can "hear" the POV character's thoughts and know their history like you can with Harry and sometimes you can't. Like for the groundskeeper he is thinking that the light in the Riddle house is just vandal kids, but then for the Bellatrix/Narcissa chapter you don't really get any insight into what they're thinking (for obvious reasons here tho).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess the idea was that Dumbledore's enigmatic way of dealing with Harry was that he couldn't directly tell Harry anything, so all he could do was show him events that Harry would contextually understand in a different way from Voldemort.

It probably would've been a better story if Dumbledore was actually more implied to be some powerful mystical snd mysterious creature who can't directly do anything instead of just a normal-rear end weird old guy with a weird paranoid plan. It would be a powerful element of a coming of age story if Harry had to deal with Dumbledore just being some normal guy, but there wasn't that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The arc of pre-teen Harry building up Dumbledore in his head as this incredibly powerful, wise, and ultimate wizard who can do no wrong before hitting a wall in books 4, 5 and 6 where he has to come to terms with the fact that Dumbledore is actually just a guy who makes a bunch of mistakes and judgement errors that lead to Cedric's death, Sirius' death, and a lot of general suffering for the good guys is actually pretty good imo. The problem is that it gets dumpstered in the final book when rather than taking any initiative Harry just blindly follows Dumbledore's incredibly convoluted 5D chess plan which goes off without a hitch and saves the day. I guess Dumbledore actually was infallible after all.