Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CPL593H posted:

The US flag should be an extremely alarming EKG reading.

Isn't this a thing you can get in the homeland Pizza Hut?

You literally cannot buy this in America, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Odd posted:

is no one going to explain what a botato is

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

You literally cannot buy this in America, no.

Other country's takes on American food are always absolutely hilarious and nothing we would ever eat here. edit: Well ok, nothing we thought of yet.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Aardvark! posted:

I'd love to find some other abundant sources of amateur photography. Google Maps Reviews are a deep well, but there's whole areas of content (hunting/fishing stuff, house parties, etc) that would own.

:thunk: maybe going by hashtags on twitter and facebook?

I go down the Flickr hole.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

My prefered bbq place in Galveston has awesome Botatoes but they just call them baked potatoes, and cover them with whatever bbq you want.

Used to live a few blocks from Queen's 20 years ago.
Miss them big ol' taters stuffed with brisket and all the fixin's.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 9, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What if I don't want the potato or alternatively ONLY want the potato what THEN what tv guy I bet they never thought of that did they

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

What if I don't want the potato or alternatively ONLY want the potato what THEN what tv guy I bet they never thought of that did they

Ain't nobody taking ANY of your advice on how potatoes should be prepared or eaten, forums user Soggy Hash Browns Township :flipoff:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oooooh you filthy BASTARD

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bouillon Rube posted:

Shotgun recoil depends a lot on the load. Birdshot or clay loads don’t really kick that hard

that's what i was thinking. that pic has to be 50/50 old rednecks or britosh aristocrats about to go hunting. honestly those antique break actions make me lean more towards brits

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I think over under break action guns are more of an American thing. Camo pumps definitely are.

naem
May 29, 2011

old rednecks and british aristocrats: surprisingly similar

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
pretty hilarious how no hotel has updated their bedding since then.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've always liked the terms "motor court" and "auto court"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I had an old cabin built in the 70s that looked exactly like this inside. Still makes me shudder a lil bit

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

old rednecks and british aristocrats: surprisingly similar

their homes and cars have been in the family for generations, they all live 5 hours for the nearest city, both hate immigrants. its basically 1:1

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like how even when they were brand fuckin' new they looked entirely vacant and unwanted.

I'm guessing the easy answer is "yea, of course" but were these just insanely popular mob money laundering operations? They still exist and function (weirdly, and sadly) in odd locations I cannot figure out how. I worked the desk of a 'real' mainstream hotel for years when I was younger and even that was a crap-shoot at staying above water. How these things existed/exist or get people staying in them is shocking to the point of absurdity, even in an era where they were more culturally relevant.

e: like just on the surface, think about it, you're buying prime real estate to build a 13-25 room 'motel' that will need 24 hour staffing by, say, a team of 6-8 desk workers, 2-5 cleaners, you've got that pool, which upkeep alone is going to cost a ton, plus at least 1-3 maintenance people to care/watch/clean just IT at any given time, plus, let's just say an accountant and one other 'resource' person, at a minimum you're looking at a staff of a dozen people to take care of that place as a ghost ship crew, and even at minimal wages, how many room-nights do you think you'd need to book a year to pay their salaries, plus your investment in the property, etc. with, say 15-20 rooms, max a night, to sell, if that?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 9, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Robo Reagan posted:

their homes and cars have been in the family for generations, they all live 5 hours for the nearest city, both hate immigrants. its basically 1:1

they've also been in the family for generations

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Ain't gonna lie, some of those motel rooms look goddamned cozy.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Big Beef City posted:

I like how even when they were brand fuckin' new they looked entirely vacant and unwanted.

I'm guessing the easy answer is "yea, of course" but were these just insanely popular mob money laundering operations? They still exist and function (weirdly, and sadly) in odd locations I cannot figure out how. I worked the desk of a 'real' mainstream hotel for years when I was younger and even that was a crap-shoot at staying above water. How these things existed/exist or get people staying in them is shocking to the point of absurdity, even in an era where they were more culturally relevant.

e: like just on the surface, think about it, you're buying prime real estate to build a 13-25 room 'motel' that will need 24 hour staffing by, say, a team of 6-8 desk workers, 2-5 cleaners, you've got that pool, which upkeep alone is going to cost a ton, plus at least 1-3 maintenance people to care/watch/clean just IT at any given time, plus, let's just say an accountant and one other 'resource' person, at a minimum you're looking at a staff of a dozen people to take care of that place as a ghost ship crew, and even at minimal wages, how many room-nights do you think you'd need to book a year to pay their salaries, plus your investment in the property, etc. with, say 15-20 rooms, max a night, to sell, if that?

A large amount of these small hotels were bought by immigrants families. Most of them use the family or the family connections to staff the hotel. The cleaning is probably down under the table by other immigrants.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/09/south-asia-america-motels-immigration

Back in the day they were probably alright to stay in for a family driving around. They had a pool and were near the highways and people were driving everywhere.

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 9, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Man, I can smell the stale cigarettes from here.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just wanna know what teddy WILL placate Richard M Nixon, that dashing sex-fiend

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

our cabin had the typical 70s flower print couch well into the new millennium

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I did a zillow search on some remote rear end cabins in some stupid state, found one on this island with no roads and the interior was PINK PINK PINK. kind of blew my mind, I'm certain I couldn't find it again if I tried, but it was very special.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Engineer: erectin' a cross

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

No idea why but I really like this

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah gotta save that one for the tugging thread

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Outrail posted:

It beats the signs I usually see on such land

CONGRESS CREATED
DUST BOWL!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

it's like if Waiting for Godot was a sign instead of a play

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
love those pics. 50s poo poo is always peak americana

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Millenial Jesus is such a pussy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Outrail posted:

It's a very good photo is all. I had the same reaction as you. It's got a wonderful color palate (for lack of a better description, I'm not sure how this would be more accurately and technically referred to) and the composition is good. It looks like a professional photo but was most likely taken by an everyday person. Plus it stands out because most of the content in here is just poorly taken photos of gross weird poo poo.

This is also a really good photo for similar reasons. The lighting is gorgeous. It looks like a Nicolas Winding Refn movie.

Or Punisher: Warzone.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Outrail posted:

Me too cause it makes you wonder what and when if ever

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

My prefered bbq place in Galveston has awesome Botatoes but they just call them baked potatoes, and cover them with whatever bbq you want.

us food is so loving revolting

naem
May 29, 2011

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Gentle Autist posted:

It truly is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gentle Autist posted:

loaded bake potatoes own sorry