Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Just watched the first episode of The Ranganation. Really solid show. Very much recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

What's everyone's favorite classic UK sitcom?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Depends how you define classic really. I really like Bottom and The Young Ones, also a soft spot for Red Dwarf.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: too soon I guess

Share your tasteless joke, you COWARD.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah not like that, it gave away Taskmaster spoilers

to be fair, it did imply that if Richard won Champion of Champions he'd have Greg's golden head and body as well as the golden joystick and would be able to make them into a statue with a huge knob

RadicalTranslation posted:

Define classic, but yeah Young Ones and Bottom are good ones, Black Books is an absolute classic, then there's Father Ted, Spaced, IT Crowd; and if we're counting Mighty Boosh as a sitcom then without question that as well.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I quote the young ones far too often in regular conversation. I'm particular the Bambi and Nasty episodes

"This calls for a very special blend... Of psychology... And extreme violence"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think a more interesting question is "When was the last good sitcom on UK TV?"
Derry Girls maybe? People Just Do Nothing if that counts? I'm not sure.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

I think a more interesting question is "When was the last good sitcom on UK TV?"

Friday Night Dinner.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed Back, though season 2 wasn't quite as good.

Peep Show probably counts as a classic sitcom these days since it's taken a permenant residence on those channels. It's definitely the one I've watched most in my life as it's our go to "stick something on in the background for six hours" show.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Phoenix Nights must be a classic at this point right?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Fatty posted:

It was loving awful, and for me really put into highlight the problems with the agency comedian system in this country. There are so many gamers in the tv industry, and the series even had a sister show where the two subhosts would profile a comedian who was really into gaming. But the main show would constantly have people on who would basically admit to only ever having played a phone game and we'd have to watch them go the wrong way around the track in Gran Turismo. That and really poorly devised challenges that didn't suit themselves to one-on-one play or TV.

Only saw it a couple of times, but the little dances the guests would do when the stage was rotating made my skin crawl.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Red Dwarf and Mighty Boosh.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mickolution posted:

Only saw it a couple of times, but the little dances the guests would do when the stage was rotating made my skin crawl.

The BBC has a similar issue with podcasts recently:
1. BBC have a hit tv show.
2. An independent podcast about it is started by some megafans and is moderately successful.
3. BBC copy the concept, with a random (non fan) standup & promote it all over BBC sounds and their website.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The Holy Trinity, of course: I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, and Peep Show

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Others have already covered most of it, but I'll add Nathan Barley and The Thick of It.

Taear posted:

This Country? Catastrophe I also thought was good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Taear posted:

Year of the Rabbit.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Office is incredible, it’s just sad that Ricky Gervais is retroactively ruining it.

As for GamesMaster, am I the only one who preferred Bad Influence? It was less edgy and funny and more obviously a kids show, but so much of GM’s run time was made up of Linda Lusardi badly playing Lotus Esprit on the Amiga or something.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 10, 2021

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Taear posted:

This Country definitely belongs on the list. I think Ghosts is fun too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The BBC's podcast policy has been pretty garbage for years. I still wouldn't have access to the old Adam and Joe podcast if I hadn't downloaded and saved it all from a fan website like 8 years ago.

I'm hoping Gamesmaster will be a good show like Taskmaster, but I'm worried the whole thing where only celebrities are allowed on the telly thing will ruin it for me like it did crystal maze.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

This Country definitely belongs on the list. I think Ghosts is fun too.

And Detectorists

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Has anyone rewatched Nighty Night in the 15 years since it was originally shown? Has it stood the test of time?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Don't make me pick, I like most. Some are dated and have very dated writers/actors who are a bit wanky now but I have no regrets dedicating so much DVD shelf space stuff to all the mentioned titles.

I suppose if I must choose? Blackadder, Spaced, Black Books and Ideal and Young Ones are solid. Ideal is also great and under appreciated.

Father Ted gets an honourable mentioned being a solid Irish classic too, though Hardy Bucks are a contender to that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hippies is a decent one, it only ran for one series and it's nothing too special but it's by Arthur Mathews, it's got Simon Pegg in an early role (pre-Spaced, even, if barely), it's got Sally Phillips and Darren Boyd and Julian Rhind-Tutt (playing the character he always plays), Peter Serafinowicz is in it, and it's got its fair share of very quotable moments.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I've wanted to rewatch that one for years.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Has anyone rewatched Nighty Night in the 15 years since it was originally shown? Has it stood the test of time?

I saw it about 5 years ago (for the first time) and it didn't feel aged.

For me it's Spaced - I think that was the sitcom that really got me into british sitcoms.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mickolution posted:

That honesty was the the naffest part with the whole deal over LOOK OUR SOFA ROTATES HILARIOUS RIGHT?!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Did anyone watch Top Coppers? BBC Three sitcom from 2015, written and directed by an old uni mate of mine.

Think it went under the radar a bit, but I remember enjoying it. Had quite a good silly vibe that reminded me of things like Danger 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcfI_XOUe9Q

Bogmonster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 9, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Julian Rhind-Tutt (playing the character he always plays),

Too cool for school Green Wing Julian Rhind-Tutt or strangely dessicated and prematurely aged establishment figure The Hour / Utopia Julian Rhind-Tutt?

Oh, Green Wing.

Hell even the most establishment golden oldies, Yes Minister, anything with a Ronnie or Briers in it, yes even that one Vyvyan

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I tried rewatching Spaced a couple of years ago, and it’s so very of its era, it just constantly sparked memories of living through that time for me.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Him and Her was amazing and deserved more

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Sirens is something I’ve not seen mentioned for ages but I loved that and was so sad there was only one series made.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

tsob posted:

That said, Darragh O'Briain did a similar show a few years back where celebrity guests played games against more experienced staff gamers and I thought it was fun, even if it only got one season (maybe two; don't recall). The staff gamers weren't great, which I suppose is the key in a show like that. You need big personalities, and a presenter who can play up the virtues or vices of the particular people.

Fatty posted:

It was loving awful, and for me really put into highlight the problems with the agency comedian system in this country. There are so many gamers in the tv industry, and the series even had a sister show where the two subhosts would profile a comedian who was really into gaming. But the main show would constantly have people on who would basically admit to only ever having played a phone game and we'd have to watch them go the wrong way around the track in Gran Turismo. That and really poorly devised challenges that didn't suit themselves to one-on-one play or TV.

One of the creators/presenters of the show did a podcast with Ashens of youtube tat and gaming book fame basically going through what a car crash it was from start to finish. Sadly it's patreon exclusive but if you've a few quid to throw it's worth a listen. https://www.patreon.com/posts/audio-guff-7-45945544

Mild Spoilers:

• There was at least half a second of input lag between the controllers and the screens, meaning that nobody could really play the games
  • They got cut out of the production process during S2 and spend S3 just drunk on set
  • They basically had no input into guest selection and guests were basically given games to be 'their' game.
  • Nobody in TV basically understands games/gaming.
  • That Rob Beckett gaming show was loving awful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Total Meatlove posted:

Him and Her was amazing and deserved more

Him & Her is one of the few shows I'll tolerate people comparing to a stage play, because it absolutely is. It's also fantastic.

People Just Do Nothing, despite having huge critical acclaim, still feels like a fairly unknown gem. Stath Lets Flats too.

Not sure if Ladhood quite counts, but it really flew under the radar.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 9, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bottom by a mile.
Not a sitcom, but Smells like Reeves and Mortimer, and Bang Bang It's Reeves and Mortimer.

Fast Show a close third.

eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth eth , Chris Waddle

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Zephirus posted:

One of the creators/presenters of the show did a podcast with Ashens of youtube tat and gaming book fame basically going through what a car crash it was from start to finish. Sadly it's patreon exclusive but if you've a few quid to throw it's worth a listen. https://www.patreon.com/posts/audio-guff-7-45945544

Mild Spoilers:

• There was at least half a second of input lag between the controllers and the screens, meaning that nobody could really play the games
  • They got cut out of the production process during S2 and spend S3 just drunk on set
  • They basically had no input into guest selection and guests were basically given games to be 'their' game.
  • Nobody in TV basically understands games/gaming.
  • That Rob Beckett gaming show was loving awful.

I used to be on a forum with a guy behind GameStars (I think that was the name), which was a mid-2000s effort to do a games award show on UK TV, and from what he said it was an absolute nightmare and no one in TV understood the first thing about it (also there were apparently bonkers regulations that severely limited how much actual game footage you could show). I know Charlie Brooker has tried a number of times to get something game related on TV, and succeeded once or twice. His shows always have to explain in the most basic terms what a videogame even is.

I think at some point TV execs noticed that the biggest YouTube channel in the world was a (terrible) guy playing games though and it caught them unawares. It was about then that you started seeing shows about esports on BBC 3.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

I used to be on a forum with a guy behind GameStars (I think that was the name), which was a mid-2000s effort to do a games award show on UK TV, and from what he said it was an absolute nightmare and no one in TV understood the first thing about it (also there were apparently bonkers regulations that severely limited how much actual game footage you could show). I know Charlie Brooker has tried a number of times to get something game related on TV, and succeeded once or twice. His shows always have to explain in the most basic terms what a videogame even is.

I think at some point TV execs noticed that the biggest YouTube channel in the world was a (terrible) guy playing games though and it caught them unawares. It was about then that you started seeing shows about esports on BBC 3.

That Guru Larry bloke?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

That Guru Larry bloke?

No.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I only remember the brief sad existince of the handful of digital video game channels so I mix them up.

I remember also them having to squish the footage into the corner of the screen too, I assume that was one of the many requirements?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Got round to watching the second season of Back, mainly for the novelty of seeing my town on the TV. One aerial shot showed my previous house, I'm practically famous now.

Show itself was alright. The opening bit with NotMarkFromPeepShow in the therapy place was probably the best, with a slow decline in laughs and interest from then on. Something about how some of the characters are written/acted (the two bar staff in particular) makes me feel they've fallen through a portal from a different show. I did enjoy the appearance of old man Anthony (Stewart) Head though, one I worked out who he was and why I recognised him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hippies is a decent one, it only ran for one series and it's nothing too special but it's by Arthur Mathews, it's got Simon Pegg in an early role (pre-Spaced, even, if barely), it's got Sally Phillips and Darren Boyd and Julian Rhind-Tutt (playing the character he always plays), Peter Serafinowicz is in it, and it's got its fair share of very quotable moments.

Ohh god, I loved Hippies. It wasn't great, but for some reason it just clicked with me. Great cast, as you say, which is probably what made it work. Might be a little dated now for someone who didn't see it at the time.

Couldn't agree more about it being quotable, too. There are a few lines that still pop into my head (big bag of drugs and height of fashion, off the top of my head).

edit: It's all on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHpSQzkAAhEztOY2eCk30b8E2cISDLlK4

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 10, 2021