Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

You know, I've played through the series multiple times, on multiple platforms, and I've never done a renegade playthrough.

I tried one, once. I got as far as lying to some Krogan tourists about fish on the Citadel, felt like a monster, and went right back to being Commander Shepard, Intergalactic Hall Monitor.

I think I made it as far as insulting the Hanar tourist in the first game. It's very difficult! While the Renegade playthrough is supposed to be about making harsh calls, it really just comes off as being a xenophobe and a dick for the sake of being a xenophobe and a dick. We'll see some people's first reactions in a few months but my guess is that it's not a writing style that will have aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheCenturion posted:

You know, I've played through the series multiple times, on multiple platforms, and I've never done a renegade playthrough.

I tried one, once. I got as far as lying to some Krogan tourists about fish on the Citadel, felt like a monster, and went right back to being Commander Shepard, Intergalactic Hall Monitor.

Generally speaking, there’s enough Renegade points to grab that you don’t have to always be an rear end in a top hat or do silly poo poo like murder Wrex. You can play a more pragmatic Shepard rather than a psychopath.

Personally, I find ME more fun to just take each decision as it comes and ignore the Paragon/Renegade meters. Maybe you can’t get the optimal solution to every problem, but I find that more interesting from a role-playing standpoint.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Isn't the whole point of video games to experience things you can't do in real life? I can be polite and helpful every day but I can't haul off and belt an obnoxious reporter in the face or be racist to a jellyfish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Renegade is a fun way to play the game but you often can't anticipate which particular flavor of renegade you're going to get. It runs the full gamut from ruthless to recklessly stupid.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ME1 renegade shep was a Kotor sith in spirit. in the sequels she's less evil for evil's sake, iirc.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Isn't the whole point of video games to experience things you can't do in real life? I can be polite and helpful every day but I can't haul off and belt an obnoxious reporter in the face or be racist to a jellyfish.

That's how I look at it which is why I went pretty much full renegade on each and every one of my half dozen or so playthroughs.

Also the reaction of the reporter when you try to punch her for the third time is hilarious and worth it even if you are trying a full paragon run.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
90% of the renegade interrupts were really cool and worth taking even if you were doing a paragon run.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Blowing up that rear end in a top hat krogan during Mordin's loyalty mission is too perfect not to do it every single time, even on a Paragon playthrough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Error 404 posted:

Blowing up that rear end in a top hat krogan during Mordin's loyalty mission is too perfect not to do it every single time, even on a Paragon playthrough.

You gotta let him go on a little bit though, to get the full effect.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

exquisite tea posted:

You gotta let him go on a little bit though, to get the full effect.

Well yeah, the art is in the timing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
real ones play paragon in ME1, then renegade in ME2 because at that point Shepard is sick of everyone's poo poo. Also the renegade interrupts in ME2 are mostly fantastic (my fav is shoving the merc out the high-rise window)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the only good interrupt in ME3 is breaking Kai Lame's sword

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

100% of players have pushed that dude out the window, 100% of players have hugged Tali.

The duality of Mass Effect.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

100% of players have pushed that dude out the window, 100% of players have hugged Tali.

i hope the remaster lets me hug that dude and push Tali off a cliff instead

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Funky Valentine posted:

The closest my Shepard ever got to embracing anything related to Tali was supporting her decision to throw herself off a cliff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vagabong posted:

90% of the renegade interrupts were really cool and worth taking even if you were doing a paragon run.

"You're working too hard."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The problem with Renegade really is mainly in 2. You can't mix because of how the morality system works there, and a Renegade Shepard is just a completely unbearable rear end in a top hat for no reason to people you like.

When you can mix it in 3 and can still be a Renegade without also having to tell your crewmates "Your family deserved to die because you're weak" because you need the Renegade points it works fine.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

I heard butts got cut?

Just Miranda's butt shots. Jacob's are still intact

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Moola posted:

i hope the remaster lets me hug that dude and push Tali off a cliff instead

Bloopsy posted:

The closest my Shepard ever got to embracing anything related to Tali was supporting her decision to throw herself off a cliff.

how dare you say such vile things about my wife

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

how dare you say such vile things about my wife

your wife stole Alliance military design secrets under your nose, how do you feel

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's no such thing as a mass effect game

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

your wife stole Alliance military design secrets under your nose, how do you feel

You say that like I haven't already given her top secret Geth data for her Pilgrimage :shepface:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

There's no such thing as a mass effect game

The real mass effect was inside us all along

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moola posted:

Not at anymore. I went to the bathroom like 20 minutes ago so I no longer have a mass within me. It was very effective though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Moola posted:

No wonder I feel so bloated.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

"You're working too hard."

Mark Meer really sells that line hard

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The bit in Citadel where Wrex and Grunt try to out-Shepard each other will never cease to be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6iDczCDOI

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SgtSteel91 posted:

You say that like I haven't already given her top secret Geth data for her Pilgrimage :shepface:

Is that what the kids are calling it now!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Not at anymore. I went to the bathroom like 20 minutes ago so I no longer have a mass within me. It was very effective though.

ah the Destroy ending

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

HaitianDivorce posted:

I think I made it as far as insulting the Hanar tourist in the first game. It's very difficult! While the Renegade playthrough is supposed to be about making harsh calls, it really just comes off as being a xenophobe and a dick for the sake of being a xenophobe and a dick. We'll see some people's first reactions in a few months but my guess is that it's not a writing style that will have aged well.

It's OK "hard men making hard choices" is usually fascist propaganda anyway - that is, a veneer over what is really just xenophobia and dickishness. I think I like it better when a video game's evil path makes me cartoon villainous. Or just play Paragon Vanguard every run and embrace being Space Jesus Goku, can recommend.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I finished up a playthrough of Technomancer over the weekend and the morality system in that game is similarly comically evil. You explicitly do not kill any human that you defeat in that game unless you manually walk over to them and press the "Drain money out of body" button. And you're given the opportunity to forgive/spare basically every single one of your enemies. But after you beat the game's main villain your party members just go "Oh look he died of a heart attack! Thank god you didn't have to make that choice!" There's not even a cutscene or something he just falls over dead and you fight some giant kaiju as the actual final boss.

I think I actually laughed at the sheer absurdity of it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cartoonist evil is more enjoyable than 'nuanced' evil.

I didn't learn how to shoot lightning from my hands and turn my eyes yellow just to have a good reason for committing evil.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Every time I tried to go paragon in ME1 the amount of corporate dickheads on Noveria always put a stop to that idea.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

frajaq posted:

I'd have given them to her instantly if she'd asked and I absolutely picked that option in ME2 where you tell her to have fun picking apart the SR-2's new technology to spite Jacob

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Funky Valentine posted:

Cartoonist evil is more enjoyable than 'nuanced' evil.

I didn't learn how to shoot lightning from my hands and turn my eyes yellow just to have a good reason for committing evil.

It's true Ben Garrison's particular brand of villainy is pretty enjoyable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The ending gets most of the attention of Mass Effect 3, but there was a real sense of the whole setting getting run into the ground for the sake of spectacle. There's little bits of good writing, but a lot of the biggest moments feel like they're not as explored as they could be. You get to go to the Turian and Asari homeworlds, and it doesn't really teach you that much more about either of the races. Reapers apparently don't all hit as hard as Sovereign so you can have a sprinkling of Reaper fights throughout the game in a way that really reduces their dramatic impact. Anderson is somehow fighting a groundwar resistance against them, and more than ever, it highlights how weird it is that Bioware chose a race of sentient spaceships to be the antagonists in their most action based game.

Like it made sense at the time that if the series was ending, you gotta bring a conclusion to every big issue and close every plot thread, but the writing wasn't really there and it feels contrived a lot of the time. And there's so much time spent revisiting known things that there's not a whole lot new about the world in the game [that hasn't been cut out to sell as DLC].

i always assumed this is the first time the reapers actually had to have a full fight on there hands. like the other times they either had the collector type collaborator race cause enough choas while the citadel did its portal thing and let the reapers jump all in at once. than the protheans hosed it up for all of them and with this cycle they had to go through a bunch of hoops to make it into the galaxy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New patten of blinking lights about to drop

I'm stoked

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bloopsy posted:

I don't think I could ever murder someone who was a child when I met them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
After Mass Effect 2, I figured that the story was building to a fairly typical cinematic climax where Shepard would pull together a coalition and defeat the Reapers - but at what cost?

I'd based it around a bunch of assumptions and bits and pieces of lore. The first was that the Reapers needed the Citadel. That is, the timetable that the Reapers followed, striking every fifty thousand years or so, was to optimize risk versus reward. In Mass Effect 1, Vigil's theory is that the Reapers weren't just taking lifeforms but also their technology. So, they strike at a time where organic life has maybe put some good twists on their technology or whatever, but hasn't surpassed it to such an extent that the Reapers will risk too many casualties.

I also figured that Sovereign had first tried to use the Rachni to reach the Citadel and activate the trap. When this failed, the Reaper had to try and figure out another way. About two thousand years later, Sovereign encountered Saren and it all began to work out. But that would've thrown off the Reaper timetable by two thousand years when the Reapers were already on a razor-thin timetable. So, Mass Effect 1 happens, Sovereign gets blown up, and this is another problem.

Now the prey species have a dead Reaper to analyze. Blown to pieces, maybe, but better than nothing - and that technology is ending up everywhere after the Citadel attack. So, everyone is working on reverse-engineering Reaper technology, like the Thanix cannons, that they're not supposed to have. As an aside, in ME1, I figured Sovereign had directed energy weapons but whatever. Either way, the point is that this is something that probably hasn't happened before, and throws the timetable a little bit further out of whack. Harbinger, the first Reaper, figures out something is up, kills Shepard, and starts burning the final asset of the Reapers - their Collector servitors - to build another Reaper with which to trigger the Citadel trap. Again, there has to be a reason to do this, and my thought was that Harbinger knew they needed to take the Citadel to eliminate as much risk as possible - especially now that they were running late. Taking the time to build the Human Reaper was preferable to just waking everyone up and going in slow.

Of course, that fails. Shepard comes back from the dead, blows up all the Collectors, and kills the human Reaper by shooting it a bunch. Left with no other choice, Harbinger wakes up the rest of the Reapers and they descend from dark space. Which, y'know, you figure might damage them or cause them to burn out or be less effective when they arrive, given what the Codex said about even Sovereign needing to discharge drive core on a planet and what happens to ships that don't.

So, I figured Harbinger would show up with a bunch of other sub-optimal Reapers, facing a galaxy that stood a real chance of breaking the cycle. But it could still end up in this MAD situation where the galaxy falls but so do a bunch of Reapers, and maybe there's this tragic element with these civilization-gestalt-god ships getting killed. Harbinger views Reaper 'transcendence' as this religious experience - but do the other Reapers? Sovereign's obviously a bit of a true believer, which is why you leave him/it behind as the vanguard. Maybe Shepard would be faced with a choice of, say, some Reapers deciding they'd rather not fight with Harbinger and they'd go their own separate way - can Shepard trust them? Stuff like that.

Then, none of it really mattered, the Reapers could rip through the whole galaxy virtually instantaneously, and the variety of things that the Codex had opened up - like, say, drive discharge - got papered over with 'Hmm, looks like Reapers don't need to do that after all - oh well. :shrug:' I'm not sure this Mass Effect 3 would've been good either but, in my mind, it feels a little bit neater. And I don't even dislike ME3's ending, but I think the development that the Reapers didn't actually need the Citadel and could've just flown in at any time was just a bit weak. I think a lot of the arguments fans make about ME2 being 'pointless' or 'not having a main plot' comes from the direction ME3 went in.

Sort of like how, for all the Catalyst's talk about how Reapers are just a fire and they're just doing what they're doing to preserve organic life, well, they're still the dudes who grafted a human onto a Batarian to use a living weapon.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Uh, I mean: Argh! Rarh! Argh!