Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/yyzsportsmedia/status/1359193459853201410

#bellletstalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

E: and holy hell that was already 20 years ago? Christ I'm old :corsair:

I learned about it when I signed on to AOL and it was the main story on the "Welcome!" pop-up.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sash! posted:

I learned about it when I signed on to AOL and it was the main story on the "Welcome!" pop-up.

I was working as a receptionist with a lady whose desktop background was Dale's car when it happened.

It was a dark day at the office.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I had been going to 1-2 nascar races a year at the point when he died and for nearly a decade after and it’s impossible to overstate just how much of pall his death placed over the entire sport for years and years. Ugh, the people holding up 3 fingers on the third lap of the race.....just so embarrassing.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DJExile posted:

ESPN is doing an E:60 on Dale Earnhardt's death and how it affected NASCAR safety protocols. Trailer in the article.

E: and holy hell that was already 20 years ago? Christ I'm old :corsair:

Is this one also being produced by Nascar? because the Tim Richmond one sucked rear end and white washed everything and it's only purpose was to make Nascar look good

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Basticle posted:

Is this one also being produced by Nascar? because the Tim Richmond one sucked rear end and white washed everything and it's only purpose was to make Nascar look good

I'm guessing no because it's an E60 report which is kind of their investigative journalism long form wing if I'm not mistaken?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

oh woops, I read that as 30 for 30

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1359261570241593349

Bell really presenting themselves well, here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I'm guessing no because it's an E60 report which is kind of their investigative journalism long form wing if I'm not mistaken?

Yeah E:60 is strictly internal

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

I was taking a year off from college working at the Wal-Mart near my parents' house at the time. We had grown-rear end men burst into tears seeing the Earnhardt merchandise display in the store.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/i/status/1359292989357572107

hooooooooolly poo poo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

This sounds like a computer voice.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hell fuckin yeah

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
#BellLetsTalk

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That's the tone of someone delivering a bulletin about imminent nuclear war

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colin Cowherd was rushed to the ER over the weekend with a blood clot in his lung

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

welcome to the 21st century

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/1359491650150621185

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really can’t believe they are still going to do this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm still gonna be pretty surprised if the games happen as scheduled, but I don't blame NBC for assuming they're on until officially told otherwise.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really can’t believe they are still going to do this

Guessing that NBC needs to put on as brave a face as possible just to have any chance of selling ads.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'm still gonna be pretty surprised if the games happen as scheduled, but I don't blame NBC for assuming they're on until officially told otherwise.

As somebody living in Tokyo, it’s entirely possible it won’t happen still.

I mean, Tokyo is still in a State of Emergency and no new visas (long-term or just stamps in the passport) are being given...five months before the Olympics are due to start.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

As somebody living in Tokyo, it’s entirely possible it won’t happen still.

I mean, Tokyo is still in a State of Emergency and no new visas (long-term or just stamps in the passport) are being given...five months before the Olympics are due to start.

Oh yeah I think it's still far more likely to be postponed, I'm just saying I don't blame the broadcasters for planning as if it's still on. It's a massive event to plan equipment and personnel for.

On the other hand, postponing for a year gives them more time to record even more schmaltz and sob stories to run in place of the actual events.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn’t Japan recently say that they weren’t going to push it back again?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There was a report they were going to give up and pursue like 2032 but as of now they have denied it and are still preparing for it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Oh yeah I think it's still far more likely to be postponed, I'm just saying I don't blame the broadcasters for planning as if it's still on. It's a massive event to plan equipment and personnel for.

And none of those people are allowed in the country five months out!

And the head of the organizing group made stupid sexist remarks and has had to resign. More than 80% of the population wants it delayed or canceled. It’s going great!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I assume there is going to be some back room dealings so that every olympic athlete gets vaccinated in the next few months? I mean pretty much has to happen right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I assume there is going to be some back room dealings so that every olympic athlete gets vaccinated in the next few months? I mean pretty much has to happen right?

The problem is we don’t know who the Olympic athletes would even be. Typically there are trials or other national level competitions where the athletes are chosen to the different olympic teams.

None of that has happened yet and I don’t know when it actually will happen even if the olympics are still gonna happen.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think for some sports its been sorted out but obviously you're right about a lot of them. But in that case just over vaccinate I guess? And people will rightfully complain about the fairness about vaccinating young prime health athletes...but on the other hand we're already seeing how unfair the vaccination rollout is right now so its just another check mark in the box of life is bullshit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Every athlete from the US, Australia, maybe Europe - easy. But what about the rest of the world?

Japan hasn’t even started to vaccinate the elderly. The general population isn’t expected until July. Are you suggesting Japan vaccinate athletes coming into the country over citizens and residents?

There have already needed to be reassurances for many countries that the vaccines don’t contain certain animal products, for our Muslim brothers and sisters.

That many people coming from around the world to one location sounds like a nightmare. Go look at how many soccer players have caught COVID in the fall international breaks.

Hate to get doom and gloom again, but it’s not looking positive.

soggybagel posted:

but on the other hand we're already seeing how unfair the vaccination rollout is right now so its just another check mark in the box of life is bullshit.

Not every country has rolled out vaccinations as haphazardly as the United States.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The new NFL rights are being worked on and should be finalized soon.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

harperdc posted:

Every athlete from the US, Australia, maybe Europe - easy. But what about the rest of the world?

Japan hasn’t even started to vaccinate the elderly. The general population isn’t expected until July. Are you suggesting Japan vaccinate athletes coming into the country over citizens and residents?

There have already needed to be reassurances for many countries that the vaccines don’t contain certain animal products, for our Muslim brothers and sisters.

That many people coming from around the world to one location sounds like a nightmare. Go look at how many soccer players have caught COVID in the fall international breaks.

Hate to get doom and gloom again, but it’s not looking positive.

Not every country has rolled out vaccinations as haphazardly as the United States.

I don't actually give a poo poo if the olympics happen and think it shouldn't but its not insane to think the IOC will work out a deal where they work out deals to get people vaccinated. The IOC is corrupt! Many countries are corrupt and will make things happen...that said I agree completely its a logistical nightmare.

On top of that the United States isn't actually on the level doing a terrible job vaccinating all things considered but that mostly has to do with the fact that we are able to really bully our way to a big supply. Its just a loving mess in general though as you pointed out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I don't actually give a poo poo if the olympics happen and think it shouldn't but its not insane to think the IOC will work out a deal where they work out deals to get people vaccinated. The IOC is corrupt! Many countries are corrupt and will make things happen...that said I agree completely its a logistical nightmare.

like of course the IOC is corrupt and they can ask every different country to try and vaccinate athletes, but between the global south not being able to acquire vaccines and the really bad press of athletes jumping the queue in the global north, it doesn't seem likely. and yes I know Corruption but it still seems like an impossible task because it's a small-ish number (Rio 2016 had ~11,000 athletes) spread out over a large number of responsible parties.

and no, I don't see Japan volunteering its vaccination supply for those athletes. who aren't allowed into the country even as of right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarthAmin/status/1361840707770535938

fuckin lmao

E: the replies are a delight

https://twitter.com/707tothe775/status/1361858061258821633

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 17, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Is Shaq broke or something? I can't understand why he doing commercials for The General insurance, Icy Hot, Frosted Flakes and Epson printers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Is Shaq broke or something? I can't understand why he doing commercials for The General insurance, Icy Hot, Frosted Flakes and Epson printers.

He's been doing cheap sponsorship deals for decades now. Guy's immediately recognizable all over and gets eyeballs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shaq's entire deal since before he was even in the league is that he wants to be ubiquitous and as famous as possible so he says yes to basically everything that will get him on TV and he's succeeded enough that people will still ask him to do it even though he is objectively very bad at being on tv

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, just off hand the old meme with him and a shaking cat that’s about to pounce is from an IcyHot or Gold Bond commercial from like a decade ago. He’s always sponsored just about anything.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
We had to give up a tradition for Lent this year:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyReali/status/1362174301319933952

I've always been impressed he finds the one priest who managed to give him a cross and not a large black smudge.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 18, 2021

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

DJExile posted:

He's been doing cheap sponsorship deals for decades now. Guy's immediately recognizable all over and gets eyeballs.

RIP Double Decker Tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rich Gannon is out at CBS:

Andrew Marchand posted:

Gannon, the former MVP quarterback, will not have his contract renewed in the first move of NFL TV free agency. When contacted by The Post, a CBS spokeswoman confirmed the news.

CBS has not set Gannon’s replacement just yet. The two internal candidates figure to be Adam Archuleta and James Lofton.

Before last season, CBS started to tip its hand on the 55-year-old Gannon when it split him from his longtime partner, Kevin Harlan. While CBS doesn’t officially designate its depth chart, Harlan and Trent Green did the third best game most weeks, while Greg Gumbel and Gannon received the fourth most-watched matchup.