Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a ghost has no reason not to commit perjury. Whatre they gonna do? Throw a GHOST in jail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

a ghost has no reason not to commit perjury. Whatre they gonna do? Throw a GHOST in jail?

doctor strange or mephisto probably have something that could handle a ghost, but then you'd need to get the technique or device to get allowed to be used as a form of punishment in this country.

It's all very tricky.

Now Reed Richards could probably come up with an appropriate prison for ghosts and keep it within the realm of standard imprisonment we have now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

itd be a pretty cheap prison once you get the tech set up bc ghosts dont need food or healthcare

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

You have seen Ghostbusters, haven't you?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

You have seen Ghostbusters, haven't you?

maybe when i was a kid but i dont remember it. its never really appealed to me tbh.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

maybe when i was a kid but i dont remember it. its never really appealed to me tbh.

this explains so much, but leaves so many more questions...

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I finished Channel Zero: No End House. That was the best one, was it? Hmm. I definitely feel like I enjoyed Candle Cove a lot more. Personally I'd have been happy to finish NEH on episode 4, but then there's another two episodes where they had to pad out more. I feel like I didn't experience anything else of value in eps 5 and 6, I just got frustrated at these people sitting around the twilight lit empty houses who wouldn't turn a drat light on.
I think episode one alone would be an excellent stand alone horror short that lives up to the title perfectly. There were a few cool concepts in the next couple episodes but I agree that the second half drug on to a weak ending.

That first episode though, straight up Twilight Zone feels, a rare television experience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kvlt! posted:

:stare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghostbusters is really hated these days, politically.

It’s not surprising any more people are like whatever about it

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Candle Cove is probably better, but John Carroll Lynch is real good in No End House.

I'm reading the synopsis of S3 & 4 and uhhh.. I saw them but this doesn't seem familiar at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not surprising any more people are like whatever about it

Because the EPA guy was the bad guy? :confused:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You're never going to be able to reproduce for someone what it was like to be born the year that Ghostbusters came out, and to grow up with the cartoon series and the toys and then the sequel in 1989. It was the perfect thing to spark a bunch of areas of my imagination, and with the perfect cast that allowed me to be scared but having fun with it at the same time.

I think the movie holds up just fine today, and anyone should be able to enjoy it, but it can't be the same as the phenomenon that happened during that time. I was a Ghostbuster for Halloween three years in a row for christsakes.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Kvlt! posted:

Thats loving hilarious omg do you know which one that was? I'm not a huge comic guy but id love to read that

I don’t know the specific issue that happened in, but the series is the Marv Wolfman/Gene Colan Tomb of Dracula, which is worth reading beginning to end, because it’s one of the best comics of the 70s. If you ever wanted to see Dracula fight Silver Surfer, this is the book for you*

*this is not representative of the typical tone of the book, but it does happen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

You're never going to be able to reproduce for someone what it was like to be born the year that Ghostbusters came out, and to grow up with the cartoon series and the toys and then the sequel in 1989. It was the perfect thing to spark a bunch of areas of my imagination, and with the perfect cast that allowed me to be scared but having fun with it at the same time.

I think the movie holds up just fine today, and anyone should be able to enjoy it, but it can't be the same as the phenomenon that happened during that time. I was a Ghostbuster for Halloween three years in a row for christsakes.

:hehe::hf::science: I was one for two years in a row.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

Idk. I hear a lot of people say they don’t like it for political reasons.

I’m in it for the jokes and ghosts

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

This is something of an overstatement. It’s a beloved movie from the 80s that got remade recently so it’s been the subject of a bunch of recursive internet arguments that go no nowhere.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Idk. I hear a lot of people say they don’t like it for political reasons.

I’m in it for the jokes and ghosts
I'm a fan of the busting, personally.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Iron Crowned posted:

AGAB

All Ghostbusters Are Bastards

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean the movie is extremely Reagan-era in its view of business and regulations but that's such a small part of the story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drunkboxer posted:

This is something of an overstatement. It’s a beloved movie from the 80s that got remade recently so it’s been the subject of a bunch of recursive internet arguments that go no nowhere.

Yeah maybe. Idk. I’ve noticed more dislike towards it recently than I ever have. Probably the spaces I’m in.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

No offense meant but you should log off Twitter for a bit.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If you dislike Ghostbusters for "political reasons", I doubt there are very many films you like.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I mean the movie is extremely Reagan-era in its view of business and regulations but that's such a small part of the story.

Winston’s role gets brought up a lot too, and the fact that Peter is pretty sexist. I think it’s mostly counter backlash to the right-wing backlash to the remake. I wish someone other than Paul Feig had directed the remake. I think he got lucky with Bridesmaids because everything else he’s done has fallen pretty flat for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can totally imagine a younger person not vibing with the movie for how dated a lot of it is politically, culturally and just character archetype wise, but I think calling that hatred is overstating things.

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you dislike Ghostbusters for "political reasons", I doubt there are very many films you like.

Eh, I think at least part of the movie's charm is a "you had to be there" thing these days. A lot of what made it original and unique has been homaged, stolen or just done better by other media since. And some of the humor is very 1980s.

Like I imagine someone who grew up watching Gravity Falls wouldn't find the concepts in the movie very fresh.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2021

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The lady Ghostbusters was hated by the chud-o-sphere because of chud politics, but I'm not aware of any politics whatsoever around the other ones.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Got the Evil Dead 2 soundtrack on vinyl for a late Christmas gift this weekend and noticed their website also carries the Psycho Goreman soundtrack.

Link for anyone else whos interested. https://waxworkrecords.com/collections/vinyl/products/pg-psycho-goreman

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

married but discreet posted:

No offense meant but you should log off Twitter for a bit.

I’m not on twitter

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Count me in as someone who feels utterly nothing for Ghostbusters. The first one is a better movie than the second for sure, but still, eh.

And i wouldn’t call it hate maybe, but if pushed on why they don’t interest me I get a little more barbed, as under a certain age I feel no one needs to justify not caring much about Bill Murray or the 80’s (im only stopping off in that decade for born in flames and then movin’ on)

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 9, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't really have strong feelings about Ghostbusters one way or the other but I do remember watching it as a kid and asking my cousin why the whole movie couldn't be like the Stay-Puft stuff at the end and she just laughed and said I should watch Godzilla and that's how I got into kaiju flicks. So thanks, Ghostbusters!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I was almost 10 when Ghostbusters came out, and it was great. Saw it again in IMAX 70mm a few years later and it was still great. I kind of want to watch it again, now. So it's true:

Peacoffee posted:

Count me in as someone who feels utterly nothing for Ghostbusters. The first one is a better movie than the second for sure, but still, eh.

This man has no dick soul.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Jedit posted:

This man has no dick soul.

Lmao

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m not sure I even saw Ghostbusters as a kid but there was so much saturation with the toys and TV show and Universal Studios attraction that I “saw” the film through cultural osmosis.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If watching Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson fire on all cylinders does nothing for you then you've lived long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If watching Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson fire on all cylinders does nothing for you then you've lived long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Kvlt! only just got his learner's permit, he really did a speed run on becoming the villian

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The kids are alright

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Venkman's whole attitude sits uneasily now, more so imo than some of the Reagan stuff. The scene where he checks out Dana's apartment has a real sleazy, borderline predator vibe that was probably "charming" at one point but now just isn't. It's still a great film though besides that, and probably my earliest memory of fear. It used to terrify me, especially all the Terror Dog stuff.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Karloff posted:

Venkman's whole attitude sits uneasily now, more so imo than some of the Reagan stuff. The scene where he checks out Dana's apartment has a real sleazy, borderline predator vibe that was probably "charming" at one point but now just isn't. It's still a great film though besides that, and probably my earliest memory of fear. It used to terrify me, especially all the Terror Dog stuff.

i got nightmares galore from Vigo the Carpathian and his insane tunnel of slime

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

i got nightmares galore from Vigo the Carpathian and his insane tunnel of slime

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I’ve been checking out a lot of 2020 releases as much of the buzzy stuff from last year is starting to hit streaming and disc. Possessor, Vast of Night, Impetigore, and Alone were all good to great. Shudder is getting After Midnight and The Dark and the Wicked soon, so I’m looking forward to those.

How arthouse-y is She Dies Tomorrow? I’ve heard good things, but sometimes I have trouble staying engaged with movies that prioritize a trippy or elegiac aesthetic over narrative coherence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Benito Cereno posted:

How arthouse-y is She Dies Tomorrow? I’ve heard good things, but sometimes I have trouble staying engaged with movies that prioritize a trippy or elegiac aesthetic over narrative coherence

I would say, very arthouse-y. I enjoyed it a lot but it borders on a “mumblecore” tone (I loving hate that term but I don’t know what else to call it) that I know a lot of people hate.