Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just recieved my box of Curivari Cafe Noirs, as well as a couple Curivari Gloria de Leons and Achilles, and some Flor de Las Antilles to keep around because I keep coming back to them.

I'm now to the same issue with my humidor as I am with my Steam library - I only get to smoke twice a week and it takes me a whole rear end day to figure out what I want to burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dramatika posted:

I just recieved my box of Curivari Cafe Noirs, as well as a couple Curivari Gloria de Leons and Achilles, and some Flor de Las Antilles to keep around because I keep coming back to them.

I'm now to the same issue with my humidor as I am with my Steam library - I only get to smoke twice a week and it takes me a whole rear end day to figure out what I want to burn.

I am currently smoking a Gloria de Leon and it’s great. Especially for the prices it appears you can get them at. This and the El Gran Rey are my two favorites from Curivari so far. I thought the Achilles was good but not as fun as these two. I think I’d smoke these if I wanted something fun and cheerful (spices, coffee, cocoa, cream, vanilla) as opposed to something more intense (pepper, earth, leather) if that makes sense.

Edit: that’s not a comment on the strength just the flavor profiles, the Gloria de Leon has quite a bit of kick to it, I usually don’t notice the nicotine in most cigars but I’m definitely feeling this one a little.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 28, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It’s a cold and blustery day here in the Philadelphia area but the pellet stove continues to earn its keep. I’m smoking a Warped Maestro del Tiempo and it’s okay. Very nutty with some sweetness that shows up every other draw or so and sometimes almost a danish pastry-esque flavor maybe? It would probably be a good morning cigar with some coffee.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I got my cazzadores and short Churchill’s today. Holy poo poo the cazzies look good.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I got my cazzadores and short Churchill’s today. Holy poo poo the cazzies look good.

They’re up on ihav or coh and I almost bought a box but need to cool my jets.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Put on those afterburners.

Cazzadores are one cigar where I have rarely enjoyed one that was more than 18 months past the box date. They are really strong.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Corojo Leaf by Oscar bundle of lanceros arrived today along with a top-off of humidor permanent members/Jimmy Buffett looking rear end San Cristobal Revelation Prophets. SUPER excited to give those lanceros a shot in a week or so!

Additionally, something I kinda got on a whim came by, some new 6mm and 9mm filters. I have one pipe I love that takes 6mm but the Savinelli Balsa filters let in so many snacks and dottle that it's a thorough bummer. I got some Savinelli 6mm activated charcoal filters, along with White Elephant 9mm ones. Gotta say, I'm already impressed with the 6mm ones.

Experimenting with filters is very fun, and it's kinda neat that you can tailor to each tobacco if you really want to.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NewFatMike posted:

They are indeed! Although the Fonseca Cosacos may be taking over my favorite budget friendly MF stick position (~$5/stick).

Gentlemen, I have received the Rattray's Dark Reign Rhodesian and this is a gorgeous piece:

Almost a shame it has to get used!

Almost.

I got in some more Mac Baren Scottish Mixture - I love natural tobacco flavors and it's a fantastic everyday bulk pickup, right between Three Nuns on the spicy dude and Presbyterian on the mellow side.

Night Cap has also made a return - I'll probably have that with some Connemara tonight.

And a new pickup was Mac Baren Seven Seas. This stuff smells like rum and butter and boy howdy does it taste like it, too! I think the rest of the room is going to have a great time when I light this up.

Nice pipe for sure. Scottish mixture is also always solid.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Cigar Log, Stardate 26904. I smoked a My Father Fonseca (quite nice), a Blanco Nine Minuto (decent, but I was a bit twisted at this point), a Curivari Buenaventura (pretty good). This was spread out over the last couple of days. I feel like I'm forgetting a good cigar though, maybe something from Warped? Oh I smoked a PLPC and it slapped. But I still feel like there's another missing cigar in here. Ah! I think it was a La Mission before the PLPC. I found it disappointing (I have a few more to try) but that was why I ended up smoking the PLPC. I didn't want to end the night being sad about the La Mission.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
That last stream of consciousness post was brought to you by not sleeping for about thirty six hours. Hope you all enjoyed! I smoked a Tabernacle and Tabernacle Havana Seed from Foundation, both were tasty and can be had pretty cheap. No crazy complexity or anything just good flavors. The Tabernacle broadleaf started off a bit meaty and then turned into coffee/brown sugar and then healthy dose of peanuts mixed in. The Tabernacle Havana Seed was more mellow, had a similar sweetness to it for much of the cigar but maybe more cocoa/brown sugar and then some woody flavors swing in to balance it out a bit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I hope you can get some sleep! :ohdear:

Thinking on these activated charcoa pipel filters, I think they cool down the smoke a lot more and give it a more cigar like feel. It's been really nice. If the flow were a little more open, I think it would be ideal, but these are really lovely.

I hope y'all are having a good day!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

god drat

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Smoked a Flor de las Antillas belicoso last night. The toro was my favorite cigar early on, but I haven't smoked many recently, and goddamn it's an excellent cigar, lots of grass and wood and spice. Might have to re-up on some MF stuff soon, we're getting dangerously low.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Smoked a Flor de las Antillas belicoso last night. The toro was my favorite cigar early on, but I haven't smoked many recently, and goddamn it's an excellent cigar, lots of grass and wood and spice. Might have to re-up on some MF stuff soon, we're getting dangerously low.

Flor de las Antillas is definitely great though I've had a few that were sort of flat. I'm not sure what the issue was or if my palate was trashed or something. I need to try the maduro still as well. I've been mostly smoking through some samplers that I got. I smoked the Warped Lirio Rojo and Corto, both were pretty good but neither wowed me. I smoked a Sobremesa from Dubarton Tobbaco & Trust and it was nice, sweet tobacco, some coffee, and towards the end I was getting cinnamon which was a nice way to close it out.

I got samplers from Warped, Curivari, DT&T, Foundation, Blanco, and I'm looking to order Roma Craft and Black Label Trading Company / BLK WKS samplers once I lose that battle of will power. I also made some ihav orders because I'm a degenerate idiot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

lol hella ya degenerate idiot crew

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Fighting the urge to order Cazadores from ihav as well. I may get my father to order and split since he owes me for some petit churchills earlier this year.

I've been really enjoying the Oscar by Leaf Connecticut. I ordered a 20pk of their coroja as well since they seem well regarded and relatively affordable.

Been working on getting my shop setup as a smoking lounge with an old recliner we were gonna toss. Its an unheated shop but a heated throw does a pretty nice job of keeping it comfy. Just added a wifi extender too so I can run zoom meetings and smoke.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have some tobaccos in glass jars that are pretty old, but probably still good. However, there's a Davidus Cigars right near me, so I went up and got some of their most popular blend the Aniversario, was pretty good. One of the better blends I've had in a while.

I think Davidus Cigars is a MD chain but maybe they're nationwide I dunno.

Smoked a pipe, was good

Buddy bought a pipe and I guess decided he didn't want it so he gave me a "Big Ben" shorty. I haven't smoked it yet as I haven't had a chance and like a little longer pipe but might take it with me next time I go out for a cross country ski or something. It's a nice pipe, a little finer briar than the ones I have

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
God I love the conny leafs. I need to score a few of them once I’m done bankrupting myself with humidor restocking.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just had a bowl of James Fox The Bankers. I've had two 50g tins of this in a jar for a year (probably two years, I think) and I think the tins I received were old anyway (they had the warning label put on over the original, slightly older label.) It was enjoyable when I first opened it, but sitting in the jar with the occasional dose of air getting into it has made it a quite interesting smoke.

It's a cigar leaf mix, on top of a fairly standard English tobacco (although I think it was originally blended in Dublin, where James Fox have a store that is staffed by absolutely lovely people.) Getting a decent mix of all the various tobaccos can be a challenge, but when I do get it it's a lovely smoke. It develops as it goes on, but throughout it's a really solid English, while the cigar leaf gives it some changes as it goes. When I first started out with it (years ago) I couldn't tell what the cigar leaf addition did, but now I realise it adds a touch of the traditional Cuban sourness to the mix, that really offsets the fullness of the latakia and burley. As it smokes it goes from slightly sweet, to full, to having a bit of depth in the flavour if not nuance. There's a strong feeling of dusty old bookstore, or maybe a lot of aged paper, like in a "Bankers" office.

If it wasn't for the fact it's almost €30 a tin here, and I'm still smoking out of corncob pipes, and I'd like to get a few cigars, and I have other hobbies to sort out, I'd be putting in orders for another couple of tins to put in my big jar. It's definitely a polarising tobacco, but if you can pick it up for $15 in North America it's worth getting a tin and putting it to age for a year or two, smoking occasionally, as a different take on English mixes showing what a few additions can do for them.

Another thing is TobaccoReviews seems to have a strange series of reviews for it. Up to about 2012/2013 there's a lot of reviews saying it's not as good as the older version, after changing where it was produced. Then from about 2015/2016 onwards there's quite a few positive reviews, so I'm guessing adjustments were made. I'm of the opinion it's definitely worth picking up. A smoke I'm happy to go to when nothing else takes my fancy.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I can't believe I managed to let the LbO Corojo lanceros sit for a week! Cracking one open for breakfast today and I'm rather pleased.

I'm really enchanted with the wrapping setup. I really dislike single-use plastics, and with all the cellophane in cigars it was really nice to have just the bundle wrapped in some extra leaf. It reminded me of Acid boxes being padded out with the extra flavored leaf. The whole experience really appeals to my Subaru-driving rear end.

It has that sweet, buttery corojo flavor I love so much. It's been a long time since I had a lancero; I had forgotten how strong the wrapper flavor is on this vitola. Around the halfway point, it's getting a little hint of black pepper that's really refreshing with the more meat-and-potatoes goodness. Smoky flavor is poking in as the burn line advances, and the dryer heat of the smoke is really pleasant.

I'm really looking forward to how these do in another week or two (hopefully they last!). As it stands right now, I think if you asked me how a cigar "should" taste, I would probably say exactly like this. I would feel comfortable handing this to someone to introduce them to cigars in general.

Really super pleased with this! If I reached blindly for a cigar and grabbed this one, I would be pretty psyched. I'll be aiming for those Shadow Kings next!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So glad you enjoyed the corojo lancero! It's a beautiful smoke, I had one last night. Also agree that it is an ultra-classic cigar taste. My dream would be if there were a corona release, because that would be the absolute perfect cigar to hand a newbie to try out. Easy burn, flavor rich but not aggressive, elegant.

I've been eyeing some Shadow King boxes on CA also. Finally ready to start buying cigars again after the break imposed by my illness.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just keep in mind Shadow King is a value cigar not something you’ll write a sonnet about. I’d stick with the robusto as well, I feel like the larger vitolas didn’t do it any favors. If you guys don’t like it I’ll happily take them all though :).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I love a good value cigar. The EP Carillo New Wave Stellas are that way – inexpensive, friendly smokes that you're never mad to have around.

Speaking of "types of cigar," last night my buddies and I identified a new one. Of course there are special occasion cigars, after dinner cigars, morning coffee cigars, sharing with newbie cigars, etc. The new type is the tipping cigar. One of my buddies ordered DoorDash, and the guy was like, "Hey, it'll be a while" and texted him a picture of a huge line of other DoorDash guys waiting to get food from the place. Of course, DoorDash doesn't compensate for time spent waiting around, so my buddy felt pretty bad for the dude. He was looking around for cash or something to give the dude an extra tip but didn't have any, so instead he ended up giving him one of the Centurion H-2K-CT toros, and the DoorDash guy was apparently super stoked about it. It's an ideal tipping cigar, because it's visually impressive, with a gorgeous band and good heft, but it's also a pretty approachable smoke for someone who isn't accustomed to cigars already. Also, it retails for like $10-$15 at a B&M, which makes it feel good and generous.

I wish I'd had my current humidor a year ago when my car got blown off the freeway into a ditch during a storm and the tow guy took me home for free cause he felt bad for me. It would have been perfect to hand him a couple nice sticks. Now I'm ready!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah, that rules! Not a bad idea.

Came to an agreement with my landlord on getting out from under my old lease today, so my spouse and I celebrated with some Hamlet 25th Anniversary culebras!

I'm already a really big fan of this blend. The shagfoot is always a fun touch that made this spicier at the kickoff than it was until the very end. Really crisp, woody flavors with some red pepper and leather.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh man where did you get that? I've been wanting to get a nice culebras for my buddies and I to smoke on a special occasion but it's really hard to find them anywhere.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Some new meerschaums at smokingpipes.com! Yowza!

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Damnit I wish I had another flying pig from Hamlet. I should reach out to my buddy in Toronto to see if he has any lying around.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Oh man where did you get that? I've been wanting to get a nice culebras for my buddies and I to smoke on a special occasion but it's really hard to find them anywhere.

Chicago tobacconist called Up Down Cigar. They definitely do phone orders and shipping if you want to check if they have stock!

Heads up, one of the three had a whole missing patch of wrapper, so we ended up cutting it into coins for our pipes :v:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

So glad I found this thread. My friend and fellow goon Nexein and I got really into cigars during the pandemic last year. I smoke a wide variety of cigars pretty much daily so I'll be posting in here a ton.

Here's a pic of the "bro smokes" shelf of one of my tupperdors.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the thread! It looks like you've got a lot of Southern Draw in there. What are they like? I was looking at some the other day because they seem to release a lot of coronas (which I love), but I don't remember anyone posting about them.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Welcome to the thread! It looks like you've got a lot of Southern Draw in there. What are they like? I was looking at some the other day because they seem to release a lot of coronas (which I love), but I don't remember anyone posting about them.

We actually haven't tried them yet! I became a massive cigar nerd over the last year so I keep hearing how great they are so I scored a couple samplers from cigarpage. Weather has been fairly lovely since they came so we haven't had the chance to get together for a bro-smoke sesh. I'll definitely post here once we dive into em.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

Kenning posted:

I've had the Jacob's Ladder and it was good.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I had my first cigar in a while the other night, a Trinidad Reyes. It was really disappointing and I abandoned it halfway (it probably didn't help that it was cold and windy on the porch and my blanket wasn't doing much.) It just had no steady flavour, a burnt cedar was the best I got off it, and it had none of the creaminess I've had from other Reyes.

The one cigar has really soured me, and I think I'll be sticking to pipes until the summer. If I could pick some hand rolled cigars up for less than €15 for the smallest vitolas I might be faster to try another, but it's just put me off smoking them until I can be out in the garden on a warm night with a few beers.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a heated blanket and a patio heater but even those two things aren’t giving me enough confidence to go out and smoke.

It’s probably going to be March before I smoke again.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Cold weather smoking is a bummer. Of the last 20 cigars I smoked outside probably 10 had major issues due to weather. Cold is bad, cold and windy is impossible. Had a Nasty Fritas where the wrapper didn't light at all and it just cored right out even smoking for 20 minutes. My lovely wife has since allowed me to put an air purifier and a window fan in our mechanical room, so I at least have a makeshift smoking dungeon until I get my sun porch built.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

So glad I found this thread. My friend and fellow goon Nexein and I got really into cigars during the pandemic last year.

Reporting in as the other half of this cigar goon duo; smokin an H. Uppman in a shack with a jet heater in it because while I long for the sun, the draw of a good stick is too strong.

Also just getting into pipes so definitely in for related recommendations and info!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Whoa new friends! Welcome!

I had my eye on those Southern Draw Kudzu lanceros, so I'm looking forward to some trip reports from them.

Even indoors, it's been so dry that I've been enjoying my smokes less, too :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the thread both of you!

I have to check weather around the country weekly as part of my job and as I saw this huge cold front moving across the entire eastern and central US I was definitely thinking of you cigar goons and how much it must suck to want to have a smoke when it's 5 degrees outside.

Uh, not to brag, but I smoked a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor robusto tonight and it was really fun. Super peppery at first, like red pepper. I haven't had a spicy cigar in a while so it was really nice. It mellowed into something like an ancho chili, where it's still got a touch of the spice but is also sweeter and more earthy, and then right at the end there was this intensely fragrant potpourri quality to it. Real good smoke.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Mi Querida and a Highclere Castle Habano, the Mi Querida was pretty good, subtle sweetness to it. The Highclere castle started good with some bakers chocolate but it got sort of acrid on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Smoked a Mi Querida and a Highclere Castle Habano, the Mi Querida was pretty good, subtle sweetness to it. The Highclere castle started good with some bakers chocolate but it got sort of acrid on me.

Big fan of both of those cigars. I liked the Triqui Traca a little more than the regular Mi Querida. The Highclere Castle was fantastic and I definitely want to try the Victorian now too.

I'm heading to my makeshift cigar dungeon to have a nice morning smoke and a cup of coffee. Going with the AB Tempus Maduro Quadrum today, which I never see people talk about anywhere. That's a shame because they are insanely good. Gorgeous wrapper, perfect construction, and killer flavor. German chocolate cake with espresso all over the place. 10 pack from cigarbid was like 35 bucks on free fall which is criminal for a cigar this good. Any of the AB Tempus are great at a price like that, but the Maduro is my favorite AB.

Edit: partial trip report- not getting the cherry notes this time as much, a little spicier than last time. Getting a bit of a wonky burn as box presses are prone to, that might be the difference. Still quite excellent. I've been fighting humidity a bit lately. My humis have 69 bovedas in em but it's chilly downstairs so my hygrometer reads 72. Dryboxing a few days before I smoke seems to help but a lot more cigars have been fighting to stay lit than normal as of late.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 10, 2021