Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What's the political stuff around aos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just watched Wandavision on a drunken whim 'cause I got spoiled on a hell of a twist, I get the feeling I'm gonna be disappointed but it seems meta enough to be fun.

Cage Kicker posted:

They're doing Dragon Ball Z time travel, not BTtF

I do love how Dragon Ball is relatively consistent about that, and then in Super a big deal is that it introduces a different form of time travel that works by different rules, with the interactions between them being part of the plot, and more or less everyone in-universe immediately loses track of exactly what's going on. (Goku certainly does, anyway)

Also, first thought on the question way back of 'Why aren't the crew actively trying to contact Vision' is probably because as far as they know, Vision is dead, and what's walking around in the show is basically a puppet- and it seems implied he basically was, and is only now starting to think and act independently (the line about how they used to be basically one mind may be literal). Which raises the question as to exactly what he is now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

sebmojo posted:

What's the political stuff around aos?

Marvel Television was almost entirely Perlmutter's thing, and that guy was a real piece of poo poo who was at odds with Feige to boot. I believe he was the one who kept trying to push the Inhuman agenda forward too. There may or may not have been bad blood between Feige and Whedon towards the end over how AoU was run and turned out, but I think--and this is just informed speculation because nobody really knows--the biggest deal with AoS and other shows isn't that so much Whedon as it is Feige really not wanting to acknowledge Perlmutter's stuff as being part of the MCU. Now that he's out, who knows if Kevin will be amenable to roping in previously cast TV characters.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doctor Nutt posted:

That's cool but I see it and I raise you this, the one thing that could possibly get me interested in a Riverdale crossover:

I call you with

One thing I'll say for the Netflix shows was they were the first time I saw the Punisher in live action and thought he was done right. And the most interesting part of Daredevil and The Punisher was Frank Castle's relationship with Karen Page

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

Unless, by the end of his own Disney+ series, Loki is convinced/coerced/tricked/forced into returning to that moment so that things can play out as they did the first time around. Then it's a ripple, not a wave, no different from any of the other borrowed stones. The timeline can recover from a few ripples, Agents of SHIELD covered that in season 7. And then proceeded to create so many big-rear end waves by the end of the series that we never got to see if that theory was actually right.

This raises question about the power stone timeline. Thanos, and his entire armor besides Gamora, is dead, which means that none of the snaps happened and that the Nova Corps still exist, amongst other side effects. If the Loki show has to get him back on a collision course with Thanos, there's other loose ends they need to deal with too.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Everyone posted:

I call you with

One thing I'll say for the Netflix shows was they were the first time I saw the Punisher in live action and thought he was done right. And the most interesting part of Daredevil and The Punisher was Frank Castle's relationship with Karen Page

I really liked Tom Jane's punisher, you not a fan? I guess it was a bit less grimy and a bit too 'white knighty'.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If you told me the entire casting and writing of Iron Fist was around the eventual line of "you are the dumbest Iron Fist ever" I would believe it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

You could write a decent paper in the vein of Capitalist Realism about how the public have internalised neoliberal capitalism so much that we all lose our minds when a character appears on a TV show who until recently used to be owned by a different huge corporation.

There aren’t really any big obstacles in these kind of crossovers. Just a couple of CEOs have to meet and decide that they’d like to make some money.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Azhais posted:

Everyone knows the tmnt crossover is going to be on Riverdale

Thing is, it's Riverdale. The turtles, Predator, and Punisher would all be far too normal for that drat show.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Predator would fit right in on Sabrina.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

The Predator would fit right in on Sabrina.

They meet each other in Archie vs Predator. It doesn’t go well for Sabrina.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The last few pages of this thread make me so glad Whedon wasn't just dropped he was full on cancelled. Infinity war would've been a car crash if he was still involved

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

You could write a decent paper in the vein of Capitalist Realism about how the public have internalised neoliberal capitalism so much that we all lose our minds when a character appears on a TV show who until recently used to be owned by a different huge corporation.

There aren’t really any big obstacles in these kind of crossovers. Just a couple of CEOs have to meet and decide that they’d like to make some money.

Oh, I think you underestimate how much CEOs hate the idea of another CEO making money from their IP, even if it makes them a lot of cash too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

!Klams posted:

I really liked Tom Jane's punisher, you not a fan? I guess it was a bit less grimy and a bit too 'white knighty'.

My problem was that prior to seeing the film I'd read Garth Ennis's "Welcome Back, Frank" miniseries from 2001. A lot elements of that miniseries were used in the film. Except that "Welcome Back, Frank" is full of pitch black humor (at one point Frank is fighting some bad guys in a zoo. He punches a polar bear to anger it. At which point the bear mauls the bad guys. The Russian is a huge, friendly (but psychotically dangerous) character who proudly introduces himself as "President of Daredevil Man Without Fear Fan Club" . The film took elements of that story but sucked every last bit of the fun and humor out of it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They meet each other in Archie vs Predator. It doesn’t go well for Sabrina.

Comics Sabrina, yeah.

Netflix Sabrina would gut him and use his ribcage as an art project.

Edit: or team up to fight Satan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

Comics Sabrina, yeah.

Netflix Sabrina would gut him and use his ribcage as an art project.

Edit: or team up to fight Satan.

If I remember correctly, Satan actually shows up in Archie vs Predator 2 but only after the other predators show up to kill the multi-verse version of the Riverdale cast (since the original cast got killed already)

The Archie comics are wild.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Argue posted:

Kevin Feige was an executive producer on Agent Carter, the only show that gives him such a credit, so it was already his baby to some extent. I believe it was also where they introduced the Red Room, which Nat offhandedly mentioned in AoU, so it isn't the first time Agent Carter brought in something, as small as it may be. I'll be real happy if they acknowledge any of the other shows, especially AoS, but none of them are as closely tied with Feige.

yeah, Agent Carter is the only Marvel Television production that Marvel Studios had any meaningful hands-on creative involvement in. We'll see what happens with the rumors of a Charlie Cox cameo in Spider-Man 3 (which from what I've heard, if true, sounds like it might be more of an Easter egg-level cameo than meaningful setup of a Daredevil reboot/revival), but I still wouldn't expect much more in the way of Marvel Television acknowledgement.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, Agent Carter is the only Marvel Television production that Marvel Studios had any meaningful hands-on creative involvement in. We'll see what happens with the rumors of a Charlie Cox cameo in Spider-Man 3 (which from what I've heard, if true, sounds like it might be more of an Easter egg-level cameo than meaningful setup of a Daredevil reboot/revival), but I still wouldn't expect much more in the way of Marvel Television acknowledgement.

Awww, what a shame.
I would had loved if he was Peter Parker's lawyer. Like it's all Aunt May could pay to sue Jameson for defamation. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Djarum posted:

Yeah I’d say all of the Netflix stuff bar Iron Fist will likely be folded in. Hell Iron Fist was great bar Finn Jones, who I just never bought as Danny Rand.

Are there any other significant martial arts characters in Marvel beyond Iron Fist, and now Shang-Chi, who, until the movie announcement I wouldn't have even classed as significant personally. At least, in that he no longer played a big role and hadn't in decades by the point of the announcement. I know there are other characters whose main strength is in martial prowess, such as Captain America or Taskmaster (though movie Cap is superhuman akin to Ultimates Cap unlike normal 616 Cap) in the same way. Which I suppose is just that they don't have super powers in effect, but base it around chi/qi or an inner power that can be trained to achieve extraordinary things. Nor have a focus on the Eastern elements or spirituality within those disciplines, or adhere more to fantasy Asian narratives like K'un Lun.

I'm just kind of curious if Shang-Chi could be used to open up a new power set or dimension in MCU power, the same way Dr. Strange was really the first part of the MCU to concentrate on magic and introduce that to a lot of people. There hasn't been much of a spread of it within the setting since then, though I suppose you could say that Thor: Ragnarok leaning more in to "no, Asgardians are actually Gods with power over concepts and nature" and not the "they're just aliens" Thor 1 went with could be seen as an extension of it and Wanda may go more along those lines soon, but it'd be cool to see more martial arts stuff within the MCU too.

That aside, I'm still sad that the Netflix Iron Fist show didn't lean more in to the 7 Mystical Cities of Heaven stuff that Brubaker/Fraction created for The Immortal Iron Fist. It really seemed like they were going to, with the introduction of Madame Gao in Daredevil, and it's still one of my favorite comics; though admittedly, I haven't read many in recent years so it's not had much new competition for me personally. Still, there's a lot of really fun stuff in that story, and it really expands on the mythos of Iron Fist as a character, including introducing several past Iron Fists and what they could do with the energy of Shou-Lao, along with having some decent drama around the more mundane world, Rand Enterprises etc.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 9, 2021

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Desperado Bones posted:

Awww, what a shame.
I would had loved if he was Peter Parker's lawyer. Like it's all Aunt May could pay to sue Jameson for defamation. :v:
It would be especially great if "Daredevil" never showed up or was mentioned in the movie. Peter just has a couple scenes with his lawyers, Nelson & Murdock. Peter may notice that the one lawyer keeps showing up with fresh injuries every time, but says nothing, because it would be rude to ask a blind guy why they seem to be so accident-prone. Nelson & Murdock just showing up as lawyers for other superheroes is something that happens pretty frequently in the comics, especially Foggy Nelson.

Really though, if Nelson & Murdock do get just one appearance in the MCU proper, I want it to be on She-Hulk's show.

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite episode of Iron Fist was the one where the guy who spent 3/4s of his life living in a monastery needed to be taught how to calm himself through meditation by a middle-aged nurse from New York.
Well, it makes sense now that we know she's a Jedi.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 9, 2021

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

tsob posted:

Are there any other significant martial arts characters in Marvel beyond Iron Fist, and now Shang-Chi, who, until the movie announcement I wouldn't have even classed as significant personally. At least, in that he no longer played a big role and hadn't in decades by the point of the announcement. I know there are other characters whose main strength is in martial prowess, such as Captain America or Taskmaster (though movie Cap is superhuman akin to Ultimates Cap unlike normal 616 Cap) in the same way. Which I suppose is just that they don't have a focus on the Eastern elements or spirituality within those disciplines, or adhere more to fantasy Asian narratives like K'un Lun.

I'm just kind of curious if Shang-Chi could be used to open up a new power set or dimension in MCU power, the same way Dr. Strange was really the first part of the MCU to concentrate on magic and introduce that to a lot of people. There hasn't been much of a spread of it within the setting since then, though I suppose you could say that Thor: Ragnarok leaning more in to "no, Asgardians are actually Gods with power over concepts and nature" and not the "they're just aliens" Thor 1 went with could be seen as an extension of it and Wanda may go more along those lines soon, but it'd be cool to see more martial arts stuff within the MCU too.

That aside, I'm still sad that the Netflix Iron Fist show didn't lean more in to the 7 Mystical Cities of Heaven stuff that Brubaker/Fraction created for The Immortal Iron Fist. It really seemed like they were going to, with the introduction of Madame Gao in Daredevil, and it's still one of my favorite comics; though admittedly, I haven't read many in recent years so it's not had much new competition for me personally. Still, there's a lot of really fun stuff in that story, and it really expands on the mythos of Iron Fist as a character, including introducing several past Iron Fists and what they could do with the energy of Shou-Lao, along with having some decent drama around the more mundane world, Rand Enterprises etc.

Well White Tiger and Echo are the two most significant martial arts characters not introduced yet. White Tiger at least was heavily in the Spider-Man cartoon a few years ago. Echo I guess is going to be in the Hawkeye series. Frankly I am fine with seeing more street level heroes doing stuff. It is nice to know that not all heroes are battling world ending threats.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Desperado Bones posted:

Awww, what a shame.

he could be, that's not mutually exclusive with what I said tbh; it just depends on how you define "Easter-egg-level"

would be fun to have him interact with Tatiana Maslany in She-Hulk, though

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

It would be especially great if "Daredevil" never showed up or was mentioned in the movie. Peter just has a couple scenes with his lawyers, Nelson & Murdock. Peter may notice that the one lawyer keeps showing up with fresh injuries every time, but says nothing, because it would be rude to ask a blind guy why they seem to be so accident-prone. Nelson & Murdock just showing up as lawyers for other superheroes is something that happens pretty frequently in the comics, especially Foggy Nelson.

Really though, if Nelson & Murdock do get just one appearance in the MCU proper, I want it to be on She-Hulk's show.

It's better in Spider-Man 3 so then we can get a scene with Foggy and Happy for the metas.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Spider-Man 3 seems like it is going to be way too packed with characters if all the rumors are true.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Just like the last Spider-man 3

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Just like the last Spider-man 3

And considering that they set up the Sinister Six, probably how the Amazing Spider-Man 3 would've been. It is inevitable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spacebump posted:

Spider-Man 3 seems like it is going to be way too packed with characters if all the rumors are true.

I think a lot of it is going to be like the infinite earths sequence in the arrow verse. 80% of them will be three second cameos during a falling through universes sequence

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Azhais posted:

I think a lot of it is going to be like the infinite earths sequence in the arrow verse. 80% of them will be three second cameos during a falling through universes sequence

That would make the most sense. If they go that route, I hope they go wild with pre-MCU characters.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Spacebump posted:

That would make the most sense. If they go that route, I hope they go wild with pre-MCU characters.

Bring in Lea Thompson as Bev imho

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Japanese Spiderman is gonna have a cameo. I hope they bring in his giant robot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spacebump posted:

All I know is this better be in there

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Azhais posted:

Into the Spider-Verse has all the Spiders-Mens you need, it's good

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Agent Carter doesn't have the same political baggage AoS does

its also a much better show

i gave aos like a billion chances, that show was hella lame and I'm glad that its not touching the MCU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Azhais posted:

Check the post credits scene of into the spider-verse.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

He is?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Desperado Bones posted:

That's Spider-Verse 2.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

That's Spider-Verse 2.

lol if I got confused :psyduck: I remember it was for MCU. Aw well, wherever it is it's gonna rule.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Friend convinced me to check out Wandavision and it rules.

Japanese Spider-Man also rules and I hope they bring back his theme in his cameo cause it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PePr8hAsc

Yeah yeah yeah WOW

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

There's this Marvel 616 documentary in Disney+, first episode is about that show and oh boy, it was so cool, they did some crazy stuff. It seems they were among the first ones to bring a transformable robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Desperado Bones posted:

There's this Marvel 616 documentary in Disney+, first episode is about that show and oh boy, it was so cool, they did some crazy stuff. It seems they were among the first ones to bring a transformable robot.

Japanese Spider-Man is the entire reason that Super Sentai / Power Rangers have giant robots.