Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

"Best episode" seems like a low bar to clear from what I've seen of it

The show was absolutely huge while it was on, even if in retrospect everyone agrees there was a point past which it went off the rails.

Everyone posted:

Well, sure. Holmes is arrogant in Elementary as well. The difference is that Elementary treated its characters as though they were real people with real lives and real emotions that matter within the world. Sherlock... kind of didn't most of the time. The closest Sherlock really got to genuine consequences was with the character of Janine. There's a nice moment where Sherlock seems to understand that this was a cool person who could have been a good friend and he doesn't get to have her in his life any more because of the lovely way that he treated her.

Bringing this back to the MCU and WandaVision, Sherlock is like the WandaVision sitcom with the various characters acting as living props giving scripted responses to support whatever plot is occurring within the episode. Elementary generally allows its characters to react in some degree the way that real people would respond to situations instead of doing something "because that's what the script says."

They're TV shows about genius super-detectives, neither of them is exactly social realism. Elementary presumably follows the tropes of a TV procedural, where you put together a homely cast of characters over a lengthy run and then you can play them off against each other in entertaining ways, and six seasons in you can do an excellent episode where Quark and Odo have to climb a mountain together. Sherlock is structured like a series of films and has to be much more efficient with how it introduces and moves around characters. There's almost as much screen time in the first season of Elementary as there is in Sherlock's entire run.

Violator posted:

I gotta say I’m super impressed by how in-depth you all know about these Sherlock shows. Any thoughts on the RDJ movies?

Don't mind them, I'd watch another if it gets made. I was pleasantly surprised with Enola Holmes on Netflix recently as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's so insane that Odo sleeps in literally a bucket

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

Look at Mr. Rockefeller with the tub over here

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

2house2fly posted:

It reflected his personality. Stern, law-abiding, boring.

Then he had sex.

Suddenly, modern art sculptures and wiggle-necked bongs were great places to sleep.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

2house2fly posted:

He doesn’t use the bucket anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'll admit I will never like WandaVision

But that's because I realized *exactly* what to compare it to right away

And it could never, ever live up to that comparison. It dwarfs it so much that it's not even fair but I'm a mean person

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are the initials of what you'd compare it to TP?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know what that post means

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

Are the initials of what you'd compare it to TP?

It's A Good Life

Its like, episode 2/3 had some nice little moments- 2 had some of the creepier ones

But it never went full on with any of it. Ever.

And when I put together what it was reminding me of, I just got really sad because its so obvious

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im glad it’s an MCU movie now instead of fake David lynch. They weren’t gonna ever be that scary anyway.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Burkion posted:

So I'll admit I will never like WandaVision

But that's because I realized *exactly* what to compare it to right away

And it could never, ever live up to that comparison. It dwarfs it so much that it's not even fair but I'm a mean person

I agree, the episode of Community where Jeff hallucinates that he's in a GI Joe episode is much better than Wandavision

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aping Lynch and the Twilight Zone is honestly the most ambitious the MCU has been in awhile so I’m interested to see where it goes

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
isn't it just The Truman Show but with extra steps

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Violator posted:

I gotta say I’m super impressed by how in-depth you all know about these Sherlock shows. Any thoughts on the RDJ movies?

They felt like a bigger budget Sherlock. Not the most interesting Sherlock Holmes I've seen and not the most interesting RDJ performance (that probably goes to Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder).

Speaking of different takes on Sherlock Holmes. Here's The Blue Carbuncle featuring Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 10, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Aping Lynch and the Twilight Zone is honestly the most ambitious the MCU has been in awhile so I’m interested to see where it goes

It's the MCU, you already know where it goes. That's a major component of its appeal.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had a great gag where Odo got all excited and invites everyone to watch him poo poo himself into the bucket.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/AllCharisma/status/1359537746843365381?s=19

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Good for her. Hopefully this quiets some of the, “But why have none of the people who have worked with Whedon spoken out against him?” takes.

Just kidding, of course it won’t.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thrawn527 posted:

Good for her. Hopefully this quiets some of the, “But why have none of the people who have worked with Whedon spoken out against him?” takes.

Were there any? Haven't several people come out now?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

There's like a decade worth of these kinds of things about Whedon not including industry rumors. Just an open secret "let the genius work" type thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RBA Starblade posted:

I swear I’ve seen them on Twitter all the time in response to the Ray Fisher story.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Literally some people on these boards too.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Hope they all feel comfortable enough to speak out about him.

https://twitter.com/amber_benson/status/1359555694098190337

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

Just kidding, of course it won’t.
The first few replies blaming her for (a) getting pregnant and (b) not telling everyone immediately and (c) forcing Joss to “compromise” his artistic vision.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

The first few replies blaming her for (a) getting pregnant and (b) not telling everyone immediately and (c) forcing Joss to “compromise” his artistic vision.

:negative:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/courtenlow/status/1359586414493650944?s=19

https://twitter.com/lorebuffay/status/1359591584128458758?s=19

And another one

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 10, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sherlock Moriarty is by fat the worst Moriarty I've ever seen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sherlock Moriarty is by fat the worst Moriarty I've ever seen.

do not fix this

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Was Elementary the one with Natalie Dormer as Moriarty?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

For a second I thought this was from our own SMG

Will Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris speak out?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Was Elementary the one with Natalie Dormer as Moriarty?

I haven't seen her in it but I'll admit, it's hard to imagine this being bad in any way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

For a second I thought this was from our own SMG

Will Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris speak out?

They are white dudes, it's unlikely they were affected.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Alan Tudyk really disappointed me when Fisher first spoke up about Whedon and he immediately jumped to Whedon’s defense all “well he never did that with me!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Alan Tudyk really disappointed me when Fisher first spoke up about Whedon and he immediately jumped to Whedon’s defense all “well he never did that with me!

James Gunn disappointed me when he liked that tweet.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Michelle trachtenberg has a really weird idea of how punctuation works

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

McCloud posted:

James Gunn disappointed me when he liked that tweet.

I agree and thought about adding it in that post but God drat I feel like a loving goober having to treat Twitter likes as an actual statement from someone. It’s not wrong but I still find even the concept of Twitter fundamentally absurd despite it being the President’s main method of communication for four years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DeimosRising posted:

Michelle trachtenberg has a really weird idea of how punctuation works

I 👏🏾 DONT 👏🏼 CARE 👏🏼

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FilthyImp posted:

I 👏🏾 DONT 👏🏼 CARE 👏🏼

More importantly she obliquely accuses whedon of creeping on her as a child in those posts

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DeimosRising posted:

More importantly she obliquely accuses whedon of creeping on her as a child in those posts
Yeah the "he did very bad things" part is unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Her remember when the Buffy comic books were hailed as a continuation of the plot and Dawn was cursed to be a Giant/Centaur/whatever because she banged some rando and cheated on her demon boyfriend? And how she ends up with Xander...

Cool stuff, normal stuff