Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I do hear what you're talking about in Uprising and I can kinda hear the structure in R U Mine, too.

Holy hell, that is really similar.

This DID spark my memory though and I'm pretty drat sure the song I was thinking of was If by House of Heroes. Which, now that I've listened to it, doesn't sound that similar, but the structure of the intro is what stuck.

Thanks for the help, both of you!

If - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSsOUY_cnZcsimilarity than stric

There is also System Shock by Hardwire. Great song that has a similar groove. It is pretty obscure (I liked them before they were cool), so probably not the one you are thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irf7boAArII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

CrandleBerries posted:

Okay so.. I am trying to find a song based on a youtube music video I had seen. I think it was from the EDM/House thread. ive dug around trying to find it..

The group was European, maybe Swedish.. Nordic.. newer music video

The standout scene I remember was on a bridge, the singer is walking on a bridge (large covered highway bridge) singing. its dark and brooding and flamboyant. might have been an SUV driving.. its dark and brooding. "edgy"

gently caress I cant think of any specific lines.

its so vague.

This certainly isn't it (it sounds like you want something slower and moodier), but it is electronic, non-English artist, under a covered bridge, dark and edgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1lzP_Y5n4

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

There have been a couple commercials during the Superbowl (not sure what for) that have a acapella female vocalist covering parts of Take Me Home Country Roads. It is very slow and moody. Any idea who she is?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what's the rap song that goes Ride Till I Die but it lingers on the lyrics

riiiiii uh uh iiiidde till i diieeee uh uh iiieeeee

it's more like a chorus line i think. Think it's like 15-20 years old by now?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the rap song that goes Ride Till I Die but it lingers on the lyrics

riiiiii uh uh iiiidde till i diieeee uh uh iiieeeee

it's more like a chorus line i think. Think it's like 15-20 years old by now?

Three 6 Mafia - Stay Fly, probably
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjzAdpZzf0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yup

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SkunkDuster posted:

There have been a couple commercials during the Superbowl (not sure what for) that have a acapella female vocalist covering parts of Take Me Home Country Roads. It is very slow and moody. Any idea who she is?
Brandi Carlile, and the commercials were for the CBS show Clarice.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
I've got a doozy and I'm going crazy not being able to find it.

I found this off an old thing back when Limewire was still a thing. It was (probably erroneously) on a GWAR discography, but I've looked through their entire catalogue and have not located it.

Singer sounds like Dave Brockie, though I'm about 90% certain it's not.
The opening guitar riff is pretty straightforward and features really heavy distortion, 0 - 0 - 3 - - - 0 0 0 - 2 - 1 - (each being a sixteenth note) BPM around 85-90.

It's vaguely metal, but nothing really heavy. It sounds like it would be fitting on a White Zombie album (probably the groove-metal bit, not so much the noise rock).
The quality of this is really fuzzy, almost like it was recorded on a walkman.
I wish I had any of the lyrics, but I don't.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja

Synthetic Hermit posted:

This certainly isn't it (it sounds like you want something slower and moodier), but it is electronic, non-English artist, under a covered bridge, dark and edgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1lzP_Y5n4

Ahh .. the walking on the bridge is reminiscent. different song though.. haha its going to drive me crazy.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I can’t remember this song for the life of me, and I’m starting to think I made it up.

It’s kind of an alt-rock song with spoken word narration. It’s NOT Nada Surf’s “Popular,” but it has kind of the same vibe.

The lyrics talk about a popular girl in high school and the boy she dated, and I THINK the song ends with one of them dying in a car crash? The lyrics were really detached and ironic, with the narrator saying things like (paraphrasing): “because they were both reasonably popular and traveled in the same social circles, it was accepted by their peer group that they would eventually hook up.”

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: complaining on the internet works! I found it like ten minutes later: “Teen Love” by No Trend. I got the alt-rock part confused with Nada Surf, but the rest was on point.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 10, 2021

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've got a real weird one and I don't have much to go on. A friend of mine made me a mix CD back in the early 2000s that had three or four songs from a group that was:

- Two or three women vocalists, singing in either Russian or Ukrainian with lots of harmony
- An acoustic guitar

And I'm fairly sure that was it. The songs were a mix of upbeat songs and slower ballads. They definitely weren't rock songs but also weren't really what you find if you search for Russian folk music, per se. I'm fairly sure she gave me the CD in 2005 or so, so the album they're from had to be from then or earlier, but given the quality of the recordings I think they had to be relatively recent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If anyone here has watched Judas and the Black Messiah yet, can you tell me what song is playing when Bill is driving around in the car he just got from the FBI? I feel like I know it from a sample and not the original song, but it could be both.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

DrTempest posted:

I've got a doozy and I'm going crazy not being able to find it.

I found this off an old thing back when Limewire was still a thing. It was (probably erroneously) on a GWAR discography, but I've looked through their entire catalogue and have not located it.

Singer sounds like Dave Brockie, though I'm about 90% certain it's not.
The opening guitar riff is pretty straightforward and features really heavy distortion, 0 - 0 - 3 - - - 0 0 0 - 2 - 1 - (each being a sixteenth note) BPM around 85-90.

It's vaguely metal, but nothing really heavy. It sounds like it would be fitting on a White Zombie album (probably the groove-metal bit, not so much the noise rock).
The quality of this is really fuzzy, almost like it was recorded on a walkman.
I wish I had any of the lyrics, but I don't.

It might be the X-Cops https://youtu.be/nzBmSwpFBoI

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Erebus posted:

It's called Entrance of the Gladiators, which is a great title for a song everyone now associates with clowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

And this right here is why I love these forums and threads like this. I never knew the name of that, wasn't really a burning question that ever occurred to me, but hey! Now I know the name of That Calliope Music Played on Every Carousel I Ever Rode As a Kid.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And this right here is why I love these forums and threads like this. I never knew the name of that, wasn't really a burning question that ever occurred to me, but hey! Now I know the name of That Calliope Music Played on Every Carousel I Ever Rode As a Kid.

Here's another circus theme that's better known - Sabre Dance by Aram Khachaturian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTYDpMiirRQ

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Artist not song: early/mid-90s alt-rock/folk-punk/anti-folk singer/songwriter who was very young compared to his contemporaries, maybe 14 years old? I think maybe had one bigger song and didn't really reach the mainstream outside of that.

Hopefully that's not ultra-vague.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Not a song, but an album.

in 1995 or so I had a compilation CD of either dance music or workout jams.

This remix of N-Trance's version of Stain' Alive was track 1, I'm fairly certain. I know it was on there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAfdgYnsZc

So was a remix of Sade's And I Miss You

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

feedmyleg posted:

Artist not song: early/mid-90s alt-rock/folk-punk/anti-folk singer/songwriter who was very young compared to his contemporaries, maybe 14 years old? I think maybe had one bigger song and didn't really reach the mainstream outside of that.

Ben Kweller maybe?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds like Ben Lee, who was 14 when he started, had a minor hit on Grandpa Would, and was otherwise mostly known for dating Claire Danes and writing a song about doing acid with her

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
This feels like the best thread to ask this:

Nirvana's lyric "It's okay to eat fish, because they don't have any feelings".

I swear, absolutely swear, that line was based on a Berenstain Bears book, which I saw with my own eyes, where it was explained to the kids that the Bears were vegetarians except for fish, who it was okay to eat because they didn't have feelings (or words to that effect)

Google is making me think I'm insane because I'm finding no mention of this connection

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Sounds like Ben Lee, who was 14 when he started, had a minor hit on Grandpa Would, and was otherwise mostly known for dating Claire Danes and writing a song about doing acid with her

Yes, awesome thank you! And the song I was looking for was I Wish I Was Him.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Not a song, but an album.

in 1995 or so I had a compilation CD of either dance music or workout jams.

This remix of N-Trance's version of Stain' Alive was track 1, I'm fairly certain. I know it was on there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAfdgYnsZc

So was a remix of Sade's And I Miss You

Near as I can tell, Sade has never done that song. It's a very common mislabeling (old school Napster style) for the Everything But the Girl song Missing (usually referring to the Todd Terry club mix).

Top Hits 95 Vol 4 is a compilation album with the N-Trance song as track 1, but Missing isn't on it. Top of the Pops 2 has both tracks on the second disc, but neither are the opener. They also both appeared on Dance Mix UK, but they're on separate discs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

If anyone here has watched Judas and the Black Messiah yet, can you tell me what song is playing when Bill is driving around in the car he just got from the FBI? I feel like I know it from a sample and not the original song, but it could be both.

Edit: thanks to this article, I learned it was Deep Gully by the Outlaw Blues Band, sampled Cypress Hill on When the poo poo Goes Down.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Brandi Carlile, and the commercials were for the CBS show Clarice.

Perfect, thanks much!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Erebus posted:

Near as I can tell, Sade has never done that song. It's a very common mislabeling (old school Napster style) for the Everything But the Girl song Missing (usually referring to the Todd Terry club mix).

Top Hits 95 Vol 4 is a compilation album with the N-Trance song as track 1, but Missing isn't on it. Top of the Pops 2 has both tracks on the second disc, but neither are the opener. They also both appeared on Dance Mix UK, but they're on separate discs.
Thank you SO MUCH! I've been trying to figure this out for some time now.

Sucks I can't find a copy, but I can at least put this to rest.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 18, 2021

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.

It wasn't. I ended up looking up them and Death Piggy, since they were related. This track is a lot slower and much more groove-focused than anything on this album.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Asked to post this here, anyone knows this?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Does anyone remember there was this album on spotify that may or may not be ironic, but the album cover is something like "motivational pick me ups for the office worker" and the tracks are monotone AI voices saying things like "i'm an asset to my company"

I need it to depress my colleagues

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Asked to post this here, anyone knows this?

It 100% isn't this, but Adam Freeland's "We want your soul" has a similar vibe. I don't think this helps at all, but, I dunno, I'm too tired to finish this thought

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I'm looking for a rock/punk? Song that kinda goes like

My my could be a ___, could be an airplane, from the wear guard of my guitar

Or; from the strings of this guitar, uh. Oh my my could be a...

Something like that?? Anyone have any ideas?

E: sounds like it would be by the strokes or someone, and I'm pretty sure it's from a movie/ending of a movie maybe? It's hard for me to remember because I heard it in a dream, lol. I woke up and immediately tried to find it and couldn't. Been bugging the hell out of me.

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 6, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There was a Britpop song from the late 90s that had a music video that was man walking down the street upside down in England, passing other people walking normally. I don't remember anything else, but I remembered the video and now I'm desperate to find out what it is.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Picnic Princess posted:

There was a Britpop song from the late 90s that had a music video that was man walking down the street upside down in England, passing other people walking normally. I don't remember anything else, but I remembered the video and now I'm desperate to find out what it is.
Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve

Edit: and/or the world cup song that parodied that video, I guess

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pilchenstein posted:

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve

Edit: and/or the world cup song that parodied that video, I guess

He wasn't upside down, but actually I just remembered what it actually is!

78 Stone Wobble by Gomez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWThwfAfLf0

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Picnic Princess posted:

He wasn't upside down, but actually I just remembered what it actually is!
I didn't even see the words upside down lol, apologies.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
An indie rock style sad ballad, can't remember any specific turns of phrase, and there's no chorus that I can recall.

The basic story of the song is that a man has been in a long-term relationship with a woman since he was young and now she's falling out of love with him so he gets on his bike and rides away into the night.

I feel like it was by somebody who was just a person's name not a band.

Thanks in advance!

e: this is by Owen, and it is a cover of a springsteen song, in which he subs a bike for a car in the original.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 11, 2021

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWb62PwWqsM

The chorus of Dynamic Calories by Stephen Malkmus reminds me of some older song I can't recall.

I think it's some classic rock staple -- my first thought was Night Moves by Bob Seger. It's not that, but maybe something like it?

It's the part that goes "Times are gonna change, you will be amazed", starting around 1.02 in the video.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

rollick posted:

It's the part that goes "Times are gonna change, you will be amazed", starting around 1.02 in the video.

Kind of reminds me of a few songs by The Police.

Primarily https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Andy Summers sure did love some clean(ish), chorusy guitar tone. But so did a lot of people in the 80s.

My first thought was it reminded me of part of Show Me by the Pretenders, but it’s only kind of close.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

looking for a youtube vid of a song

woman vocalist who's singing in super deep contralto range, lyrics in russian or maybe partially russian/english, big eurovision aesthetic, and there's a black horse drawn carriage (no horse)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

rollick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWb62PwWqsM

It sorta reminds me of the verses to Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Classic rock staple ...

To me, the three notes that are repeated “feels” like, but does not sound like, the couple measures before the chorus of America's Sister Golden Hair. In a way, so does the chord change at 1:12.

E: specifically, I'm thinking of the phrase at 2:40 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIycEe59Auc although I doubt that’s it.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 12, 2021