Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OK, that's fine. I was just worried it might have ended up being delayed til next year, but if it's still expected this year that's good enough. I'll have Amphibia in the meantime :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

With the news that the new Ducktales is ending because of Disney's 3 season policy despite the fact that it seems to be doing fine, it kinda depresses me that Amphibia is already most of the way through season 2 and has been taking a very relaxed approach. It's gonna be over before I know it.

Matt Braly's said it was always meant to be a three-season plotline, so at least the moment has been prepared for.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Matt Braly's said it was always meant to be a three-season plotline, so at least the moment has been prepared for.

I've said it before but I can't imagine a job more frustrating than making cartoons. Imagine putting in years of effort to make a successful show only to have the whole thing randomly shut down because some rear end in a top hat in a suit decided that no show can be allowed to last longer than 3 years for no reason.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

At least Disney didn't do like Nick did to TMNT... they randomly cancelled it out of no where after promoting the poo poo out of it for a long, long time while giving zero indication that they wanted to cancel.

No cartoon should ever be on Nick after poo poo like that.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

ThermoPhysical posted:

At least Disney didn't do like Nick did to TMNT... they randomly cancelled it out of no where after promoting the poo poo out of it for a long, long time while giving zero indication that they wanted to cancel.

both studios are on a huge recruitment drive so lotsa cartoons boutta be on nick :yum:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's kind of incredible how much Nickelodeon sucks in an industry largely known for how badly it treats it's staff/properties. I'm not kidding when I say that I would never pitch a show to them even if I knew I could get it greenlit. gently caress Nickelodeon.

Somewhat related: Why the hell is nothing Nick makes on any streaming service? Do they have their own service they're trying to get people to pay for or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

readingatwork posted:

It's kind of incredible how much Nickelodeon sucks in an industry largely known for how badly it treats it's staff/properties. I'm not kidding when I say that I would never pitch a show to them even if I knew I could get it greenlit. gently caress Nickelodeon.

Somewhat related: Why the hell is nothing Nick makes on any streaming service? Do they have their own service they're trying to get people to pay for or something?

A lot of nickelodeon shows are on CBS All Access.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nick also has some deals with Netflix like the upcoming Rise of the TMNT movie.

I expect that movie to have some type of closure for the series since the creators were told midway through planning Season 2 that they were being cancelled.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFtWZJrdIEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTgPfJ_HIk

from the same guy who did that "One Second From Every Classic Looney Tunes" video from last year(and also does a neat series of anime reviews, most of which aren't thread relevant but there's a couple that are like one he did on Little Nemo)

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Pakled posted:

A lot of nickelodeon shows are on CBS All Access.

Which is so lousy and has developed such a bad reputation that they're getting ready to rebrand it as Paramount+ starting next month.

Viacom has not handled the advent of streaming well at all for a multitude of reasons, and it is really hurting them.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Nickelodeon is the Tommy Boy Records of cartoon studios

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Decided to continue my watchthrough of the Mask and the episode in season 2 where Ipkiss goes to space with the astronaut had some great gags, like the most relatable reason an alien ever had for wiping out humanity on thinking the Mask is a typical example of the species - "We have decided to wipe out your whole species before you give the entire Galaxy a MIGRANE."

Also had a brilliant visual gag where in a crowd shot, everyone else panics and flees, but one guy just kind of stands there with his arms folded staring up at the incoming crashing space shuttle for a second and ambles off with a disinterested shrug.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1359200854721630212
what if.. kids cartoon.. but dark?????

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm imagining Mojo done in the Detective Pikachu style, but old and decrepit (chimps only live to 40), and fulfilling a Hannibal Lecter role...and it's not terrible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I'm imagining Mojo done in the Detective Pikachu style, but old and decrepit (chimps only live to 40), and fulfilling a Hannibal Lecter role...and it's not terrible.

Same but Jojo and the Professor living and bickering together like an old married couple.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wouldn't they be in their 30s?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbq2jgw6y8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This can only end badly like almost everything else that isn’t the original 90’s cartoon (though I didn’t think Z was all that bad honestly).

At this point it’d probably be better if they just let the brand die in peace

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 9, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_PPdjD6mg

It's like they saw the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the Netflix live action Winx Club and went "okay people don't like that... but I'm sure we'll do it right"

But then what the hell am I talking about, the CW made Archie comics of all things into a show with murder and loving and Riverdale is apparently really popular.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TwoPair posted:

It's like they saw the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the Netflix live action Winx Club and went "okay people don't like that... but I'm sure we'll do it right
LOL, are you serious? I don't know anything about it, but my mom won't let up about how good it is (knowing nothing about where Winx came from). She kept comparing it to stuff like RWBY (a show we had both seen). I was busting her chops saying it was based on a cartoon show for little girls. Then of course, I realized I watched the first season of She-Ra, so who am I to judge.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've only seen the twitter discourse, and overwhelmingly the reaction to it from there is negative.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Maybe they go in a Venture Sisters sort of direction idk.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I remember I did the math a while ago about how old they would be in the present day as they're technically anchored to real time due to connections to The Gorillaz(who both made a cameo in the PPG movie and later had Ace temporarily join the band) who explicitly operate in real time, essentially the movie(which details their origin story) has to take place around 2001 to 2002 as the Gorillaz cameo places it as being around the time their self-titled debut album came out(early 2001), the girls themselves are "born" as physically being about 5, so treat them as having been born in 1997 for counting their age(for comparison Gorillaz band member Noodle was born on Halloween 1990), so if we do the math the Powerpuff Girls would be about 24 today

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JazzFlight posted:

Then of course, I realized I watched the first season of She-Ra, so who am I to judge.

You should finish the series because it is good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So they greenlit this, but Green Arrow and the Canaries was just too much for them? :confused:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

So they greenlit this, but Green Arrow and the Canaries was just too much for them? :confused:

They'd probably be doing a lot less complex stuntwork and can make up the gaps with CG better. given they have super powers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Unironically sounds like fun. I'm in.

Oh, CW?

I'm on the fence!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CW? Really? Oh GOD no.

Black Lightning has crawled up its own rear end and died with the dramatic garbage. They're basically the new "We Know Drama" TBS of broadcast TV.

Also Infinity Train is dead. :(

https://twitter.com/awestruckvox/status/1359252862715518991?s=21

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

They'd probably be doing a lot less complex stuntwork and can make up the gaps with CG better. given they have super powers.

Split the difference and have the PPG played by Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy, and Juliana Harkavy :hai:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Split the difference and have the PPG played by Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy, and Juliana Harkavy :hai:

Who gets to be Buttercup, the best one?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't wait for the Netflix or CW take on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

This will be a complete trash fire and I am here for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

CW needs to try doing Kamen Rider again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dig up fight footage from OOO, put two hot young CW men in it, make millions of dollars.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Found this on tumblr, make your predictions now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Which Batwoman? The one with the red hair and vampire white skin who has an absolutely goddamn styling costume?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How do we work the Gorillaz into this.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh is the live action ppg rumor not a rumor any more

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They started developing on August and CW has ordered a pilot. Who knows if the show will actually get made into a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
One of the animators behind Over the Garden Wall and Tig N' Seek made a short film. It is very unlike either of those things.

https://twitter.com/ncrossanimation/status/1341032250725388288?s=20

Content warning: violence and peeners

(Also watch Tig N' Seek already it's charming as hell.)