Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Benji took a 200,000 pay cut to avoid playing for the Cowboys. Got to respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
It would be so funny for Benji to win it all and ride off into the sunset, but in reality I don't know which party is getting the worse end of the deal with this signing.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
South Sydney, where discarded Tigers legends go to die.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is planning on jumping over the rugby union to try to get into the All Blacks. Apparently the switch may be confirmed as early as next week.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/roger-tuivasa-sheck-quits-nrl-warriors-all-blacks-rugby-switch/c6e5fd9b-4f2e-429e-86b0-ae1f177ad902

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/ru...NX4GZDBP5DQMLQ/

gently caress that. I guess I might have to start watching union again if he jumps over.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
RTS going out on a high with the 2021 premiership given this is definitely our year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Jono C posted:

gently caress that. I guess I might have to start watching union again if he jumps over.

I wish him all the best in establishing himself in a position that is pretty loving stacked at the moment.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The thing is it'd have to be a huge paycut for him so it would be purely for the challenge plus potentially more time at home than the constant Trans Tasman travel with the Warriors (assuming a return to normality). If the Warriors go well this year and he is able to spend more time at home too as things progress I can see him deciding to stay. In my opinion the NRL owe us a lopsided draw once we can play at home, maybe an entire season playing in NZ.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

RTS going out on a high with the 2021 premiership given this is definitely our year.

Isn't next year our year?

Vagabundo posted:

I wish him all the best in establishing himself in a position that is pretty loving stacked at the moment.

If the can't make it at fullback, he can easily slot onto the wing. Fortunately the learning curve for either position is the easiest between league and union.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

Isn't next year our year?

If the can't make it at fullback, he can easily slot onto the wing. Fortunately the learning curve for either position is the easiest between league and union.

At the Blues, he'll have to find a way past Caleb Clarke and Mark Telea on the wing, and at the test level, there's already Clarke, George Bridge, Sevu Reece, Will Jordan and David Havili to get past, plus anyone else that might emerge before he gets a chance to put on a Blues jersey.

At fullback, he'll need to find a way past Beauden Barrett, who just happens to be one of the best rugby players on the planet, as well as Havili, Jordan, Jordie Barrett and Damian McKenzie. And he ain't getting any younger.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That's never stopped an optimistic league player before

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

That's never stopped an optimistic league player before

Post/avatar combo.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

At the Blues, he'll have to find a way past Caleb Clarke and Mark Telea on the wing, and at the test level, there's already Clarke, George Bridge, Sevu Reece, Will Jordan and David Havili to get past, plus anyone else that might emerge before he gets a chance to put on a Blues jersey.

At fullback, he'll need to find a way past Beauden Barrett, who just happens to be one of the best rugby players on the planet, as well as Havili, Jordan, Jordie Barrett and Damian McKenzie. And he ain't getting any younger.

Doesn't Beauden Barrett want to play first five? RTS is 27 now, so he'll be 28 if/when he joins the Blues. That's basically the age for peak athletic performance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

Doesn't Beauden Barrett want to play first five? RTS is 27 now, so he'll be 28 if/when he joins the Blues. That's basically the age for peak athletic performance.

He's spent the last season and a half playing at fullback at both test and Super Rugby level.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Post/avatar combo.

Yes that was my first thought

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tuivasa-Sheck must be one of the few squeaky-clean players in then NRL, right? I'm trying to think of any scandals or indiscretions he was involved in and I'm drawing a blank.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I can't think of any either but most NRL players are reasonably clean. Just the media would have you believe that every single one of them bashes little old ladies for their pension money.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

I can't think of any either but most NRL players are reasonably clean. Just the media would have you believe that every single one of them bashes little old ladies for their pension money.
Yeah, the daily telegraph writers follow them around like cockroaches to find any little thing, they are just normal people with the few odd fuckwits that do bad poo poo

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I mean Raiders players cant move without being assaulted by the thugs in the NSW police

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Some interesting stuff the last few days. The McInnes move for one seems like a huge get for the sharks. Broncos also managed to poach their next CEO from the Melbourne storm. There's also Rumors McCullough is going to be let go from Brisbane and he'll head to St George to wear the 9 there confirming Hunt as their 7.

Also that the broncos are sniffing around Latrell which is just gross.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlindSite posted:

Some interesting stuff the last few days. The McInnes move for one seems like a huge get for the sharks.
That's some Tigers level contract dumb from the Dragons there

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

That's some Tigers level contract dumb from the Dragons there

Dragons seemed to repeatedly disrespect McInnes which is bizarre given he is by far their best player and the obvious heart and soul of an otherwise soft team.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its kind of insane especially with the new rules. Hes the kind of player you have to keep i would have thought.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Moses is finally deregistered, around a decade too late. Reports are clubs and players will be banned from discussing deals with him at all in an attempt to stop him negotiating contracts then getting another agent to sign them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm surprised I'm hearing the rumors about Walters' son coming to the broncos. I guess the milford injury is kind of pushing their hand a little bit (even though I think Croft as a ball running 6 just being told to play heads up footy is what he should be doing) I guess they want the cover. I've only seen him play one or two games in spot duty.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Tigers will finally be in the refs good books

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I'm surprised I'm hearing the rumors about Walters' son coming to the broncos. I guess the milford injury is kind of pushing their hand a little bit (even though I think Croft as a ball running 6 just being told to play heads up footy is what he should be doing) I guess they want the cover. I've only seen him play one or two games in spot duty.

It's been in the works for a while now, but I don't think Milford's injury is a factor at all as he's expected back for their trial hopefully, round 1 definitely.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Blues have officially announced the signing of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. on a two-year deal that'll see him through the 2023 Super Rugby season. He's also scheduled to link up with the Auckland Mitre10 Cup squad later this year, so assuming the Rugby League World Cup happens later this year, don't assume he'll turn out for the Kiwis.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

It's been in the works for a while now, but I don't think Milford's injury is a factor at all as he's expected back for their trial hopefully, round 1 definitely.

Milford has always had this thing following him around where he doesn't train hard and eats a lot of fast food (he's nicknamed McMilford). Apparently the only time he has was on the ball was when Benji Marshall was there which was his huge 2017 season that lead to his huge deal. Ever since he's been hot and cold and it almost seems like the determining factor in his performance was just whether or not he felt like taking on the line that week. I've heard that he was one of the players Kevvy spoke to when he took over in his come to jesus meeting and told him he was fat, slow and if he wanted to play he needed to get into shape. To his credit he did physically look pretty cut and lean and looked like he'd added some muscle before he got hurt. Overall though the Broncos spine just confuses me at the moment.

Turpin should be starting in the 9 with Dearden and Milf in the 7 and 6 with Niu at 1 but everything from the preseason training has said that Niu is penciled into the center role with Staggs out with his ACL and that McCullough has been getting most of the reps in the 9 with Turps considered the bench utility. I would think with Macca all but gone to St George, Walters would be the natural replacement off the bench - but they have Paix waiting who they consider to be something of an impact player off the bench.

Every time I read something about the Broncos everyone in the club seems happy with Kevvy as head coach but I still don't see any proper direction with their backline and spine. They keep buying centers and wingers and have some talent there but it just seems to be shuffle after shuffle after shuffle with never ending rotations.

1. Niu
2. Coates
3. Arthars
4. Farnsworth
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

14. Paix

Seems like the natural set up to me with Arthars making way for Staggs when he comes back. It seems like a smarter set up for the future and for players developing chemistry than the line up of

1. Isaako
2. Coates
3. Niu
4. Farnsworth
5. Oates
6. Milf
7. Dearden

9. McCullough

14. Turpin/Paix

I miss footy.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Milford has always had this thing following him around where he doesn't train hard and eats a lot of fast food (he's nicknamed McMilford). Apparently the only time he has was on the ball was when Benji Marshall was there which was his huge 2017 season that lead to his huge deal. Ever since he's been hot and cold and it almost seems like the determining factor in his performance was just whether or not he felt like taking on the line that week. I've heard that he was one of the players Kevvy spoke to when he took over in his come to jesus meeting and told him he was fat, slow and if he wanted to play he needed to get into shape. To his credit he did physically look pretty cut and lean and looked like he'd added some muscle before he got hurt. Overall though the Broncos spine just confuses me at the moment.

Turpin should be starting in the 9 with Dearden and Milf in the 7 and 6 with Niu at 1 but everything from the preseason training has said that Niu is penciled into the center role with Staggs out with his ACL and that McCullough has been getting most of the reps in the 9 with Turps considered the bench utility. I would think with Macca all but gone to St George, Walters would be the natural replacement off the bench - but they have Paix waiting who they consider to be something of an impact player off the bench.

Every time I read something about the Broncos everyone in the club seems happy with Kevvy as head coach but I still don't see any proper direction with their backline and spine. They keep buying centers and wingers and have some talent there but it just seems to be shuffle after shuffle after shuffle with never ending rotations.

1. Niu
2. Coates
3. Arthars
4. Farnsworth
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

14. Paix

Seems like the natural set up to me with Arthars making way for Staggs when he comes back. It seems like a smarter set up for the future and for players developing chemistry than the line up of

1. Isaako
2. Coates
3. Niu
4. Farnsworth
5. Oates
6. Milf
7. Dearden

9. McCullough

14. Turpin/Paix

I miss footy.

Kevvy is a nice guy but anyone who has seen him on Fox knows that he really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and that will probably show in his selections and tactics unless his assistants can find a way to gently manipulate him into smarter decisions.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Kevvy is a nice guy but anyone who has seen him on Fox knows that he really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and that will probably show in his selections and tactics unless his assistants can find a way to gently manipulate him into smarter decisions.

Yeah, if I had my way the Broncos would have hired Green and not Walters. I think Walters would always be the ideal assistant where he can offer advice on small things here and there to players on fundamentals but I've never thought of him as a builder of teams who can come up with game plans and strategies.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Green is awful, plays favourites with selections and gets into it with players at the pub. Kevvie hasn't got the runs on the board for the technical side of coaching but O can't think of a better guy to rebuild and restore the culture that management and Siebold tore apart.

Also I reckon Paix would be better served playing in cup than by getting limited minutes at NRL level.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ili posted:

Green is awful, plays favourites with selections and gets into it with players at the pub. Kevvie hasn't got the runs on the board for the technical side of coaching but O can't think of a better guy to rebuild and restore the culture that management and Siebold tore apart.

Also I reckon Paix would be better served playing in cup than by getting limited minutes at NRL level.

I think at least the players will buy in and he'll fix the culture that Seibold broke like getting rid of the friday bbq etc.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We're swapping Momirovski for Laurie, think it's a good trade for everyone

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

We're swapping Momirovski for Laurie, think it's a good trade for everyone

So the Tiger's spine is what -
9. Liddle
7. Brooks
6. Douehi
1. Laurie

14. Mbye?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Top work by Adam O'Brien, proving it's not just players who can get on the piss and act like a fucken cockhead.

quote:

... a man accidentally bumped into O’Brien who, because he had lost on the punt and had had too many beers, began screaming obscenities at the patron and wanted to put on a stink, even after he had apologised.

According to the security guard O’Brien even demanded, “Don’t you know who I am?”

ili fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 9, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bloody dickhead

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Makes sense though, arrogant dickhead coach begets arrogant dickhead players - seems to be a bit of a vibe around the Knights.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

I'm really surprised it wasn't Brownie

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Abalone Malone posted:

I'm really surprised it wasn't Brownie

Give it time there's still a few weeks of preseason left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Makes sense though, arrogant dickhead coach begets arrogant dickhead players - seems to be a bit of a vibe around the Knights.
Nah that's just Pierce, the rest are good people