Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

harperdc posted:

The electric racing series Formula E was really impacted by COVID-19 last year, having to run a series of races in Berlin to make the championship whole. It's becoming a better and better series to watch, and hopefully they can get more of the international races in this year. So far for 2021, the season has only been tentatively set and is likely to change further still.

I am increasingly loving Formula E. They've done a race in Brooklyn every year pre-Covid. My in-laws live in Brooklyn, so if I can get a vaccine and they can schedule a race I'll go watch futuristic cars whine their way around the track this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

I am increasingly loving Formula E. They've done a race in Brooklyn every year pre-Covid. My in-laws live in Brooklyn, so if I can get a vaccine and they can schedule a race I'll go watch futuristic cars whine their way around the track this year.

The question this year is as much getting the traveling circus into town as much as the safety of the town, so to speak. And if you check, Formula E has been very careful to not post a full schedule as of yet - Brooklyn wasn’t even listed as of yet.

Hopefully 2022 will be better but early-mid 2021 might be a bit early to return to the States.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

spaceblancmange posted:

Only hitting me now that there is no Bathurst 12h this year. :smith:

Your post just reminded me that we had plans of going to it for the first time this year.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

Your post just reminded me that we had plans of going to it for the first time this year.

I missed last year thanks to a family event but went multiple times before that. It’s an awesome event and nowhere near as big as the 1000 so you get free access to the back of the pits and are free to roam around the bottom half of the track as you please.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

harperdc posted:

Hopefully 2022 will be better but early-mid 2021 might be a bit early to return to the States.

Oh, I know - I'm being optimistic. 2022 is a more realistic probability.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I missed last year thanks to a family event but went multiple times before that. It’s an awesome event and nowhere near as big as the 1000 so you get free access to the back of the pits and are free to roam around the bottom half of the track as you please.

Having been to both, this is 100% spot on. The 1k is definitely the spectacle, high-energy event and the 12hr is the casual, much more chill event. The kinds of places you can wander into and stuff you can see during the 12hr is fantastic. Similar to Carb Day at Indy or the 24hr at Sebring only somehow even less restrictive, which is saying something.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The first year I went out a team spent about 8 hours changing the gearbox on a porsche and rebuilding the engine only for it to do the last lap and count as a finisher. I do miss that they've cut back the number of invitational entries to the marc cars entries and they aren't all that much fun. Seeing whats under the bodywork when they strip down the crashed cars is always interesting and certainly something that I wouldn't have thought I'd see during an active race tbh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I love the Bathurst 12 probably more than any endurance race that isn’t Daytona and Sebring, so yeah I’m bummed too.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It was kinda the last international event held in Australia before all of the lockdown stuff happened and it also happened last year while the rest of the state was on fire which was put out a week later when we got 500mm of rain over 3 days. It'd be amazing to see a properly wet 12hr at some point but it happens at a time of year where we mostly just get storms and not consistent rain for a day. Even less so out at Bathurst which is a fair way from the coast.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

My friend who was trying to organise it, had been in previous years and said the same thing, that it was great being able to roam all over the mountain.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly the only thing better than the 12 hour was when they did 24 hours for a few years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

if it's safe at the time I might try to go to the Fuji 24 hour this spring, should be a lot easier to get around than the Super GT races there. once this pandemic is done my dad and I need to go to Le Mans, for both of us it's our absolute dream.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Honestly the only thing better than the 12 hour was when they did 24 hours for a few years.

The thing I didn’t like about the 24 was Holden basically playing pay to win with the monaro that didn’t come close to the street car. I wouldn’t mind seeing it coming back as long as they had a decent field of both gt3 cars and a pile of race prepped production cars similar to how the Nurburgring 24 does things but with a smaller field cause the track is nowhere near the size.
I haven’t ever actually been at the 12 for the start cause I choose a slightly more civilized start to the day and live an hour from the track so I don’t normally roll up till 8am or so.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The first year I went out a team spent about 8 hours changing the gearbox on a porsche and rebuilding the engine only for it to do the last lap and count as a finisher. I do miss that they've cut back the number of invitational entries to the marc cars entries and they aren't all that much fun. Seeing whats under the bodywork when they strip down the crashed cars is always interesting and certainly something that I wouldn't have thought I'd see during an active race tbh.

I scored a few small pieces of bodywork and suspension bits that made customs very unsure about me on my way home. Just happened to ask if the team minded if I picked a couple parts off the flatbed and they let me go at it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bit of Supercars news, Superview is moving to Youtube for 2021. So it's going to be $60 for the full season, or $6 a month if you just want to watch Bathurst or check it out. They're also uploading a shitload of old seasons to Youtube starting with the 1997 Australian Touring Car Championship.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is the sub available internationally?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dudley posted:

Is the sub available internationally?

Yes, that's the whole point of Superview, it's not available in Australia and New Zealand where they want you to watch it on TV.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
boourns to that idea then. I'll continue to ignore supercars outside of bathurst then I guess.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Lol Mazda just killed their DPi program after this year and has confirmed they’re not doing LMDh at all

Everything sucks, the whole auto industry sucks

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

Lol Mazda just killed their DPi program after this year and has confirmed they’re not doing LMDh at all

I mean as soon as John Doonan was out of the picture of course that was going to happen. Dude was the glue holding it together since Mazda Motorsports North America returned to Prototype racing in 2005, he kept it going through highs and lows for 15 years.

Really, could have called it when the new boss cut the team back to 1 car at the end of last year that it wasn't going to continue into the next formula. Also, new boss is immediately departing Mazda after the end of the season probably to fly back to Toyota after killing off the Prototype program.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 12, 2021

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Their memory will live forever

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm just laughing really hard about bringing in a dude from Toyota to run your prototype program, who immediately axes it before Toyota may potentially get involved in competing in the same field. It's not a great look!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

At least Mazda still is involved in the best IMSA racing, Spec Miata.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I get it, but it still sucks. They must not see much relevance to selling CUVs from a prototype program, even one at a bargain rate. Or they could see that their investment and efforts were only going to be good enough to be like fifth out of the group considering who’s joining in with private teams and deeper works driver programs.

I think as long as there’s still a Miata they’ll be present at the grassroots level, and that’s okay.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I get it, but it still sucks. They must not see much relevance to selling CUVs from a prototype program, even one at a bargain rate. Or they could see that their investment and efforts were only going to be good enough to be like fifth out of the group considering who’s joining in with private teams and deeper works driver programs.

I think as long as there’s still a Miata they’ll be present at the grassroots level, and that’s okay.

Give it a few years, the Miata doesn't really make them any money and they're trying to move upmarket. They'll come for that too. It'll be up in car heaven doing the :sadwave: alongside the RX series cars.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
There was a good interview about the MX-5 Cup on this episode and how they are investing in the grassroots, but yeah it's absolute peanuts compared to the bigger programs: http://www.radiolemans.co/2021/02/10/midweek-motorsport-s16-e06/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Multimatic going with Audi/Porsche was probably the final nail. Mazda has really been dialing back their motorsports after they decided to ditch "zoomzoom" and go upmarket. guess it makes sense, even if it sucks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I love the gently caress out of my MX-5 and I am seriously debating whether to trade in my '16 for a '21 so I can get that 25HP bump along with the increased redline from the changes they made to the internals. I'll be really sad if they kill it off, but simultaneously they've sold less MX-5s every year, year on year, for like the last decade. It would be an easy target to free up R&D dollars.

E: Apparently they raised their sales numbers from in 2020 back to 2018 levels, but that was only like a thousand units increase from 2019 numbers. Still well below 10,000 units annually.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 13, 2021

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Don’t know how many drag racing fans are still left, but NHRA has already started moving races this year.
https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/nhra-southern-nationals-rescheduled

Season is starting out this year with the Gators next month (because Florida)

We are actually skipping the Gators to go race in a relatively new series called Funny Car Chaos in Texas and the Midwest. Their first event has (last time I checked) 52 funny cars signed up. (We’re East Coast)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

an oddly awful oud posted:

It kind of feels like prototypes are entering a no man's land with manufacturer's gearing towards full electric in their road cars by 2030-2035 and not seeing a use in having a fossil fuel racing program, and a full electric endurance racing class not being feasible in that same time period.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The first round of the Asian Le Mans Series was yesterday, and the second round (both coming from Dubai Autodrome this weekend) is live now!

https://youtu.be/VCTdT9anj2E

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

the_worm_ posted:

Don’t know how many drag racing fans are still left, but NHRA has already started moving races this year.
https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/nhra-southern-nationals-rescheduled

Season is starting out this year with the Gators next month (because Florida)

We are actually skipping the Gators to go race in a relatively new series called Funny Car Chaos in Texas and the Midwest. Their first event has (last time I checked) 52 funny cars signed up. (We’re East Coast)

I think I am the last NHRA person itt and I haven't watched in a few years. Is Pro Stock dead yet

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

harperdc posted:

The first round of the Asian Le Mans Series was yesterday, and the second round (both coming from Dubai Autodrome this weekend) is live now!

https://youtu.be/VCTdT9anj2E

These are always weirdly strong fields and worth watching.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

These are always weirdly strong fields and worth watching.

it's too bad that this year's schedule got so screwed up - twice - but the action is always good, and the quality is getting really good. Seems like hosting it in winter in UAE brought out more of the Europeans. Next weekend is two twilight races where we find out if Yas Marina can host a decent race!

in other news, after a really big earthquake Saturday night in Japan, famous drift locale Ebisu Circuit suffered really bad damage. hopefully it gets fixed soon, but it looks tough.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The third round of the Asian Le Mans Series from Abu Dhabi is set to start in about three hours:

https://youtu.be/VwiL-0Xg7vI

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

it's too bad that this year's schedule got so screwed up - twice - but the action is always good, and the quality is getting really good. Seems like hosting it in winter in UAE brought out more of the Europeans. Next weekend is two twilight races where we find out if Yas Marina can host a decent race!

Yeah they're missing some of their regulars but it's really easy for the non-Asian teams to both get to the middle east and do a 2 weekend schedule so it's actually a record grid for the series, or was in Dubai, very slightly lower car count here.

Then again that might be slightly biased when Algarve Pro are literally half the LMP2 field.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 20, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Yeah they're missing some of their regulars but it's really easy for the non-Asian teams to both get to the middle east and do a 2 weekend schedule so it's actually a record grid for the series, or was in Dubai, very slightly lower car count here.

Then again that might be slightly biased when Algarve Pro are literally half the LMP2 field.

I mean, are AF Corse half of the GTE field too? :v:

final race for the AsLMS is starting in a few minutes too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vugofLkzI

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks again for the links for the races :)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I mean, are AF Corse half of the GTE field too? :v:

final race for the AsLMS is starting in a few minutes too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vugofLkzI

Not quite that bad here, I *think* it's just their official 2 and the Formula Racing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So here's a question.

"G-Drive Racing" won a LeMans entry from the ALMS.

But G-Drive Racing don't exist, the car was run by Algarve Pro.

So who gets the entry? Is it the sponsor or the team? I assume the deal is already done for Algarve to run the car at LeMans like they did last year but what if there's a split or one or the other goes out of business?