Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lid posted:

The forthcoming HBO Max show “Generation” (styled “Genera+ion”) — created by 19-year-old Zelda Barnz and her father Daniel Barnz, and executive produced by Lena Dunham — is touting itself as an ultra-realistic look at high school life.

Unfortunately, last Thursday, “Generation” took verisimilitude too far. In a scene set in a biology class, the production used actual dead cats for the actors to dissect.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

quote:

"Everyone involved was informed in advance that this would be a sensitive scene involving a real dissection; the assistant directors checked in regularly with all participants on set, and two background actors who expressed discomfort were released with full pay. However, after subsequent discussion with the creative team, the scene is being reconceived and will not appear in the series. We deeply regret that this occurred."

Full pay? That's more than we got in high school. We were told to shove straws in pig lungs and blow, to simulate them breathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jesus

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I accidentally clicked on tviv standards and practices which hasnt been updated in eight years and the last rule was dont post about my little pony. God this forum outlived the birth, peak, and death of that entire era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVOF2PiHnc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Where are y’all watching these, is it only the syfy app

Last I saw Syfy had been putting the episodes up on YouTube.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lid posted:

The forthcoming HBO Max show “Generation” (styled “Genera+ion”) — created by 19-year-old Zelda Barnz and her father Daniel Barnz, and executive produced by Lena Dunham — is touting itself as an ultra-realistic look at high school life.

Unfortunately, last Thursday, “Generation” took verisimilitude too far. In a scene set in a biology class, the production used actual dead cats for the actors to dissect.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What's the issue here other than the idea of dissection being gross? We dissected worms, frogs, and fetal pigs in high school, and dissected cats in freshman level anatomy/physiology in college. It's says right there that people who felt uncomfortable weren't forced to do it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Cats are a whole other level of sympathy for most people than amphibians or alien looking fetal pigs.

Especially when the source might be euthanized cats because shelter space.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lid posted:

I accidentally clicked on tviv standards and practices which hasnt been updated in eight years and the last rule was dont post about my little pony. God this forum outlived the birth, peak, and death of that entire era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVOF2PiHnc

Its funny because there's nothing really specific about the actual show that made it bad, moreso then any of the other similar kids cartoons that developed a adult following then or now. It was entirely the internet fans specifically the bronies that made the subject toxic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
YO. Did we know that David Simon was making a Spanish Civil War show?

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-wire-david-simon-new-series-spanish-civil-war-1202747360/

Announced back in 2018, but he was tweeting about it a few months ago, so it's not dead.

Super loving excited.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What's the issue here other than the idea of dissection being gross? We dissected worms, frogs, and fetal pigs in high school, and dissected cats in freshman level anatomy/physiology in college. It's says right there that people who felt uncomfortable weren't forced to do it.

Yeah I get the general grossness of dissecting cats to begin with, but it's not like production killed them first. No one got forced, everyone got paid. Seems like a non story to me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That weird cadre of concern trolls that pop up every time Lena Dunham does anything ever still exist. Trying to spin a recording of an actual thing high school science classes do into gleefully forcing weeping children to mutilate animals against their wills fits right in with the brain geniuses that tried to accuse her of raping her little sister because she talked about seeing her naked once when they were kids.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That weird cadre of concern trolls that pop up every time Lena Dunham does anything ever still exist. Trying to spin a recording of an actual thing high school science classes do into gleefully forcing weeping children to mutilate animals against their wills fits right in with the brain geniuses that tried to accuse her of raping her little sister because she talked about seeing her naked once when they were kids.

orrrrrrr its because people, generally, like cats and find the sight of dead cats distressing or find the thought of cutting up dead cats distressing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I get the general grossness of dissecting cats to begin with, but it's not like production killed them first. No one got forced, everyone got paid. Seems like a non story to me.
I doubt any of the actors in the scene were getting course credit for the dissection, so it's literally just for shock value.

It's understood the dead are used for educational and training purposes, not used as a prop to make a TV show look more real. Doing that is tasteless, gross, and really undermines the central idea that dissection as a learning method is supposed to be somewhat serious and respectful of the animal and meant for a actual purpose beyond entertainment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bad news on the dead-animals-on-TV front I'm afraid

https://mobile.twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1359492313081393153

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. That is actually terrific news.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know what Redwall is but I’m definitely excited for a new Pat McHale joint

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll definitely be coming to that for the Over the Garden Wall pedigree rather than Redwall itself but hell yeah.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

zoux posted:

Bad news on the dead-animals-on-TV front I'm afraid

https://mobile.twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1359492313081393153

OH poo poo i hope itll be better than the 20+ yo one

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t know what Redwall is but I’m definitely excited for a new Pat McHale joint

redwall is medieval fantasy without magic but with small animals and with racism-is-biologically-justified

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Drop Secret of NIMH and Game of Thrones in a blender

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Drop Secret of NIMH and Game of Thrones in a blender

Though you never get the sense that Redwall was as in love with its psychopaths as Thrones was.

And each book has a fun riddle that the cast has to solve!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
oh yeah i forgot it was weirdly dark for a kids series

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrVenkman posted:

They did it for no good reason. Whether or not I think actual school children learn anything from dissection either is another matter, there's at least a reason.

It'd be senseless if it was frogs or whatever too. But i guess some ghoul has to make that "no animals were harmed in the filming of this" disclaimer necessary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Despite already renewing everything the CW has announced more shows. They've ordered a pilot for their live action grown up Powerpuff Girls show and gave a straight to series order for the reboot of The 4400.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
We had to dissect a babby shark :(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

doot doo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

They made us do frogs in middle school. When the teacher squeezed one's legs together it squirted like it was peeing. That's about all I remember, a very valuable educational experience indeed.

Anyway, I just watched the trailer for Resident Alien because someone said Alan Tudyk, and that guy could make Dollhouse watchable. This looks like the good parts of Invader Zim but with Tudyk just going total ham and I know what I'm doing today.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its weird but for me the most humanizing thing about dissecting human bodies was when they had tattoos. Not sure why, but anytime I come across a cadaver with a tattoo it throws me a little.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only ever had to dissect a pig or cow heart. Dissecting a CAT seems absolutely horrific and ridiculously unnecessary. The gently caress kind of school would do that

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I only ever had to dissect a pig or cow heart. Dissecting a CAT seems absolutely horrific and ridiculously unnecessary. The gently caress kind of school would do that

Like 90% of American schools.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

A random TV thing I stumbled upon today... Jim Beaver, the guy that plays Ellsworth on Deadwood, is pretty dang active on Quora: https://www.quora.com/profile/Jim-Beaver

Answering all sorts of random questions, mostly related to television and movies. It's funny seeing him talk about Deadwood, and how one of the actors refused to film their death scene so the character just kind of disappeared.

Back when Deadwood was in broadcast both he and Earl Brown (played Dan at The Gem) were pretty active in the HBO forums for the show. Garret Dillahunt even showed up occasionally. They all had some really good stories about the shooting the show and their favorite scenes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We just did an earthworm and a frog in my high school, no mammals.

I did dissect a shark on another occasion.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Cats are one of the most common animals dissected in educational settings because there is a huge supply of euthanized feral cats that otherwise have no use other than being disposed of. Unless you're lobbying for schools to be serving only vegetarian meals in cafeterias you're being incredibly hypocritical with your pearl-clutching here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eating a burger and dissecting a cat is the same thing. Okay crazy man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just :lol: if you didn't bribe your lab partner to dissect the fetal pig on their own by doing all their homework for the entire unit so that you never even had to look at it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

straight to series order for the reboot of The 4400.

Oh man.

The 4400 felt like one of those shows that was trying to copy Lost, but it actually predated Lost. And also gave us Mahershala Ali.

Really hope they keep the great opening credits.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a vague recollection of my classmates dissecting worms, some reason I didn't participate. It was so long ago, it could have been the time I had really bad pneumonia, or it could have been when my parents took us to the Grand Canyon :iiam:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Eating a burger and dissecting a cat is the same thing. Okay crazy man.

While I feel there are a few offramps between these two points, its not entirely wrong. The cats are dead and are going to either be incinerated or used for educational purposes. Its not like eliminating the dissections would result in the end of euthanizing those cats. The supply far exceeds the demand unfortunately. Just take the solace that some students learn a lot from it. I have dissected countless human bodies and plan on having mine dissected once my time is up. I would rather that than tossed in the ground or incinerated (although donated bodies are ultimately cremated and the remains given to the family ro help with their closure).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

muscles like this! posted:

Despite already renewing everything the CW has announced more shows. They've ordered a pilot for their live action grown up Powerpuff Girls show and gave a straight to series order for the reboot of The 4400.

I liked The 4400. I don't know how I feel about a CW reboot but I will probably watch it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The 4400 started out really strong but fell to pieces pretty quickly for me. I'd say the same about The 100 though, so maybe this'll be good for a season or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Making students dissect an animal they are more likely to have as a beloved pet at home just seems awful and cruel. idk why American schools are so obsessed with dissection anyway

Also a reminder to everyone who maybe doesn’t see the avatar that of Science is Guy Mann/Sleeveless, so you can safety ignore anything they post.