Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Might just be the end of that "Season" of the dub, which doesn't follow the same "Season" style as the Japanese version - for example, Sun & Moon in Japan was 146 episodes straight, whereas overseas, it was broken up into multiple seasons

Although given the quality of the dub since DP, Old Yeller'ing it would probably be an improvement at this point

True, though it would be nice to get an official subbed release eventually if that’s the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I read the same news elsewhere with it explicitly stating that it is in fact just the season that's ending, and that further episodes would have a different... season title, or whatever, with a new opening. Like when the anime switched from "Sun & Moon" to "Ultra Adventures".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

I read the same news elsewhere with it explicitly stating that it is in fact just the season that's ending, and that further episodes would have a different... season title, or whatever, with a new opening. Like when the anime switched from "Sun & Moon" to "Ultra Adventures".

Oh ok, that makes more sense then

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pokemon: Even More Journeys Where Nothing Happens For 30 Episodes Straight

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokémon: Endless 900 or however many Pokémon were up to now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Has Ash Ketchum actually physically aged at all since the original series, or has he just had an insanely-busy year?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Has Ash Ketchum actually physically aged at all since the original series, or has he just had an insanely-busy year?

He works on Cartoon Time. The passage of time is acknowledged, but can never truly age. Remember, more than once the occurrence of "one year since..." events have been noted in the anime or connected media. He's still 10.

Just like The Simpsons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Look if last year has taught us anything, a single year can feel like forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He’s perpetually 10 years old just like Bart Simpson

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they age him up by 2 or 4 years for one of the series recently? I think it was the same season he finally won a real league.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hrist posted:

Didn't they age him up by 2 or 4 years for one of the series recently? I think it was the same season he finally won a real league.

Hell no. He's still ten years old and even had to go to school like a real ten year old.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In one of the early seasons (probably just in the dub) they say he's turned 11, but that was before it downed on everyone that this show was gonna go on to the end of time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m pretty sure the anime will never be allowed to end as long as the franchise remains profitable to Nintendo (in fact, these characters may even outlive their current VAs). So yeah, Ash is probably going to be 10 forever.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

BlazetheInferno posted:

He works on Cartoon Time. The passage of time is acknowledged, but can never truly age. Remember, more than once the occurrence of "one year since..." events have been noted in the anime or connected media. He's still 10.

Just like The Simpsons.

I wonder: has anyone gone through and counted the number of distinct days shown in the show?

It would be interesting to see how many months/years have definitively occurred.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

I wonder: has anyone gone through and counted the number of distinct days shown in the show?

It would be interesting to see how many months/years have definitively occurred.

I feel like someone probably did but like a decade ago.

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the anime will never be allowed to end as long as the franchise remains profitable to Nintendo (in fact, these characters may even outlive their current VAs). So yeah, Ash is probably going to be 10 forever.

Oh yeah. Oak's VA already passed away. Before we knew what Journeys was, I thought Ash winning the league might lead to retiring the character to avoid more situations like that, but now I'm pretty sure we'll see everyone die before the characters do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think there’s enough Pikachu voice clips at this point that they probably could get away with doing the show without Ikue Otani if they had to.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gintama explains how Ash's aging works by making fun of the fact it also did the same thing, complete with characters having birthdays and holidays happening in the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Goh still feels like an experiment to see if Ash can be replaced to me. Like, if he ends up being popular enough, I could see Ash slowly getting Brock'd over time with Goh slotting into the main character role.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Goh still feels like an experiment to see if Ash can be replaced to me. Like, if he ends up being popular enough, I could see Ash slowly getting Brock'd over time with Goh slotting into the main character role.

Assuming Go will be staying on past the current series that is (though I wouldn’t be surprised if he does since his goal is to literally “catch ‘em all”)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I feel it's my duty to inform you that on March 5th there'll be an episode in which the Chewtle Jessie captured and a Turtwig will race each other.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

Assuming Go will be staying on past the current series that is (though I wouldn’t be surprised if he does since his goal is to literally “catch ‘em all”)

I don't think they'd go to the trouble of making an all new original character do not steal if they didn't plan on keeping him around for the long term.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

I don't think they'd go to the trouble of making an all new original character do not steal if they didn't plan on keeping him around for the long term.

Good point, all of Ash’s other traveling companions (except maybe Tracey and May’s little brother) have just been trainers/gym leaders from the games

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Max was the little boy in Littleroot mixed with the schoolkid IIRC

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Max was the little boy in Littleroot mixed with the schoolkid IIRC

Huh, never realized that until now. Was Tracey an original character though or is he also from/an amalgamation of some characters from the games as well?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larryb posted:

Huh, never realized that until now. Was Tracey an original character though or is he also from/an amalgamation of some characters from the games as well?

He's an original character that was supposedly created because they worried people might think Brock was offensive until they realized people liked Brock and they wrote him back into the show.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Goh sucks so hopefully he doesn't stick

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Go's fine when you realize he's a gamer with a seven-monitor setup who got isekai'd into the Pokemon World and is operating on game mechanics

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really like Goh, but there's no way Ash doesn't dump his rear end on November of 2022.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, there has in fact been a Goh-focused episode already, and it was the first time in the entire main series that neither Ash or Pikachu make any appearance, and are not so much as mentioned.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Out of curiosity how the gently caress do you teach a crobat roost in this generation???

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity how the gently caress do you teach a crobat roost in this generation???

You don't, you can only transfer one in from an older game with Roost. Of course that means you can't use it in ranked battles but that's the only downside.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I encounter this problem a lot when it comes to Smogon suggesting moves that need to be learned in a previous generation. Defog, Toxic, moves that heal HP...

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

You don't, you can only transfer one in from an older game with Roost. Of course that means you can't use it in ranked battles but that's the only downside.

Wish I knew that before I started trying to breed one up but thankfully I already have one on hand. His special defense is off by one point but that's fixable at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, why does Crobat need extra steps to learn Roost? Isn’t it a flying-type breeding-wise? Weird.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, why does Crobat need extra steps to learn Roost? Isn’t it a flying-type breeding-wise? Weird.

Roost isn't a TM in SwSh and it's not in it's level up movepool or egg moves. A lot of mons lost Roost this gen.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The solution is, and always has been, save editing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MorningMoon posted:

In one of the early seasons (probably just in the dub) they say he's turned 11, but that was before it downed on everyone that this show was gonna go on to the end of time.

I think the Simpsons every once in a while do a flashback to young Homer or whatever and every time they have to adjust the time period in which he was young

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ungulateman posted:

the newer games have way better pokemon variety and the desperately-needed quality of life that we never had back in the day, but the sheer quantity of cutscenes and overall linearity kinda hurts their replayability.

hg/ss has the issue of being in the worst pokemon region, which is kind of a death sentence to their replay potential despite how great a lot of the other stuff in them is. oras kind of does a reverse-hgss where they take a really well-designed and structured region that had some teething issues and absolutely clubbed it to death trying to make it linear and plot-focused.

Pokemon is 2 separate games they sell as 1

Every gen, (imo) the online multiplayer battle simulator part gets better and better
The single player RPG gets worse. But you still have to play a lot of this to play the online part

The fact that the "official" format is online 2v2 and you don't even have 2v2 battles for 99% of the campaign just makes it more obvious every gen

When people get really mad at Sword/Shield they're usually getting mad at the RPG part - I'm not sure which one is more popular anymore. I know my friends who buy every gen definitely do the campaign and stop most of the time, they've never really done online other than like the coop Dynamax stuff this gen.

It's sort of like how for a while Call of Duty used to always have 3 "games" in one, and a lot of people never ever touched some of them

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1359874843986911232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
There is a Mystery Gift event running at the moment. You can get a Flame Orb, a Toxic Orb, a Gold Bottle Cap and a few other items.

There is also a wild area event running over the weekend, lots of Milcery. 5-star ones have a 2% chance of being guaranteed shiny. They may drop any of the various kinds of sweets.