Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm using this guide for Empire and am just about to hit Duke. I imagine it's just as good for Fed, and will be doing that next.

This currently still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I have my carrier parked near a hazres and I'm just farming that a little money and slowly increasing my combat rank.

Would I be better doing combat sites to increase combat rank faster?

My biggest issue with a hazres is that you will sometimes end up with no ships to fight and you gotta hunt around for a few minutes.

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

Halman posted:

I've taken a super long break from the game and looking to get back into it, what would be a good place to go grind Fed rank? I'm sitting at 100% rookie and feel like i should do something about that.

If you're not in any hurry but want to keep the mind numbing grind to a minimum, wait for another community event with Thargoids attacking stations and do rescue runs somewhere with a few Federal factions.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

moolchaba posted:

I have my carrier parked near a hazres and I'm just farming that a little money and slowly increasing my combat rank.

Would I be better doing combat sites to increase combat rank faster?

My biggest issue with a hazres is that you will sometimes end up with no ships to fight and you gotta hunt around for a few minutes.

Not sure if it's the best option but I understand murdering Thargoid scouts can be a pretty rapid method of boosting combat rating quickly and without too much threat so long as you have an appropriate build. I should also clarify that I don't do this and am still a tadpole when it comes to turning ships into wreckage so there may be better options out there.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 7, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
IIRC, combat rank gains are based on your rank vs the enemy rank and all thargoids are rated elite. Supposedly a fast way to rank up is just go to the nav beacon in an anarchy system and murder everyone who arrives. No idea if that's true or not but it sounds very :frontear: so it might be :v:

Also if you're trying to increase combat rank, don't take NPC crew with you or they steal half the rank you would otherwise gain because obviously they do lol

tjones
May 13, 2005
It might be worth double checking the scout rank exploit as I've heard random talk in group chats that it doesn't work anymore. Killing interceptors definitely count as Elite kills.

With a shitfit thargoid build and a little practice you can kill a Cyclops in about the same amount of time it takes to solo a winged Elite assasination mission, with the benefit of the Cyclops paying out a steady 8 mill per kill. Depending on ship type you can run through 3-4 cyclops before having to return to a carrier or station to rearm and repair. Cyclops will get boring after a while due to the extremely structured steps required for the fight. Wing fighting a Basi is the most fun, IMO.

Pilchenstein is right: your rank is considered in the calculation that determines how much rank you receive per each ship destroyed. The higher rank the ship is above you the more weight the points have towards your experience. I believe any ship at your rank or lower counts for little to no experience gained toward your combat rank.

EDIT: The below wiki has a table that breaks down the rank calculations. I can't speak to whether or not it is still accurate, but I know it used to work like described a long time ago.

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Combat

tjones fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 7, 2021

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

IIRC, combat rank gains are based on your rank vs the enemy rank and all thargoids are rated elite. Supposedly a fast way to rank up is just go to the nav beacon in an anarchy system and murder everyone who arrives. No idea if that's true or not but it sounds very :frontear: so it might be :v:

Also if you're trying to increase combat rank, don't take NPC crew with you or they steal half the rank you would otherwise gain because obviously they do lol

I think compromised nav beacons have a higher percentage of higher ranked NPCs so that would be even faster.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Re: talk about closed systems

I always just assumed that a lot of the ones that have been closed for years were due to some simulation bug making the system really hosed up and dumb so they just block them off rather than fix them

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Probably a useless thing to say, but... the best solution is just to not chase combat rank, IMO. It's by far the slowest of the three to get so if it's just for Shinrarta access not worth it.

There's no real benefit to having it high, Lori Jameson isn't very useful, and there's never been any prestige in it beyond what the brown sea imagines. It's just a badge of repetition and there are hundreds of absolutely terrible 'elite' ranked players who aren't fooling anyone.

I know that it's important to have goals and pass milestones etc. making number go up is basically all elite does mechanically, I just think this is simultaneously the longest and least interesting number to focus on. If you like combat, do combat.

All that said, CZs do have higher concentrations of Elite ranked ships, and the fighting never lulls. The downside is they're also comedically more tanky than RES ships, so you need to be a bit more minmaxy.

I seem to remember something about combat rank gain from Thargoid scouts being lowered in the last patch, not sure to what extent.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 8, 2021

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Also regarding Elite combat rank, I have it,* and every mission-generated interdiction, (not random ones just from hauling cargo, but like from a cargo mission that you get a warning for and bonus $ for killing) is an Anaconda. Every single time, regardless of what I'm flying, it's an Anaconda. They're not super-hard unkillable Anacondas, but it's still really boring and stupid. Just thought people would like to know before chasing that dragon.

*I got it by farming 'goids pre-nerf, not by being gud.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Haha yeah man who could imagine white supremacists playing videogames in 2021. That is totally unthinkable and definitely not a huge red flag that you’re super dismissive of that notion. :stare:

I'm super dismissive of Polygon who already has a history of sensationalizing stories specifically about Elite and other games. I'm not saying white supremacists don't play video games. You may note they already corrected the part of the story where they claimed the perpetrators' group was based on a "German Panzer division active during World War II". The last story they wrote about Elite, the Dove Enigma bullshit, was completely wrong so why should I trust them this time?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

You may note they already corrected the part of the story where they claimed the perpetrators' group was based on a "German Panzer division active during World War II".

lmao come on

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
If only Polygon employed some sort of journalist who could spend the five minutes of googling it would take to confirm whether or not the name was based on a German or American division

E: According to someone on the Frontier Forums the Discord was named LSSAH, after the 1st Panzer Division 'Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler'. A bunch of Nazis told Polygon that was an American unit and they just took their word for it. Goddamn.

E2: I just watched OA's video about this and it also mentions that Frontier hasn't figured out how death works on foot yet, like holy poo poo, Odyssey has been in development for three years

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 8, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I'm not saying white supremacists don't play video games.
No, you're just dismissing reports of hate speech as "oh no they said a rude word" which tells us you're probably the kind of dipshit who employs the bundle of sticks defence on a regular basis, at the very least lol

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I want the cool looking Elite level insignia for combat rating.

That's all that's driving me to play right now.

I'll put it on my dang job resume.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

moolchaba posted:

I want the cool looking Elite level insignia for combat rating.

There's only one insignia worth putting on your spaceshippe

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

Tommy the Newt posted:

I've noticed the decal doesn't work with some ships.
I, of course, have a total of 0 examples to post but it looks like the ship clips through the decal.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tommy the Newt posted:

Something something unique items that were only available for a limited time :(

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
is there no way to get the cool frog logo now?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just join the squad and our Discord server. You can ask for one there. And be sure to fight the good fight.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fought my first thargoids. The scouts were easy enough but I had to run from the cyclops because I'm bad at doing zero thrust turns so the swarms got me good. Can't wait to try again tomorrow and hopefully win.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Farts posted:

I've noticed the decal doesn't work with some ships.
I, of course, have a total of 0 examples to post but it looks like the ship clips through the decal.

Yeah the decal pulls its colors from the paintjob and it does a real bad job of it sometimes and picks a combination like "black, black, gunmetal gray" on a black background and it's real hard to know what you're looking at.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Negostrike posted:

Just join the squad and our Discord server. You can ask for one there. And be sure to fight the good fight.

Wait I was given to understand the logo was limited to a thing that happened years ago. Somebody in the squadron can just hand them out?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thundarr posted:

Wait I was given to understand the logo was limited to a thing that happened years ago. Somebody in the squadron can just hand them out?

Yup!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, if I start playing again, I'll try to remember to hit somebody up because I got told wrong last time it came up, lol.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm using this guide for Empire and am just about to hit Duke. I imagine it's just as good for Fed, and will be doing that next.

awesome, thanks

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

12j (~6000ly) to Colonia

still gonna do at least a couple more tonight, should be in Colonia ahead of schedule, in just a few days

i plan on heading back to the bubble on Monday, Feb. 22. it'll be 45j to Alpha Centauri, averaging 3j/night will take 15 days, jumps still occuring within the usual 2am-6am UTC window

once we return to AC i'll start collecting trit for a trip up to the rooftop bar

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just made it to Jawul from the elephants trunk and I am glad for neutron boosting to get back.

Will need another 250m to setup an anaconda.
But first, some mining and more adventures.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

toplitzin posted:

I just made it to Jawul from the elephants trunk and I am glad for neutron boosting to get back.

Will need another 250m to setup an anaconda.
But first, some mining and more adventures.

What anaconda build are you looking at?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Probably a mining/combat/resource hunting build.

Keep the DBX for exploring or LD tourism.

Right now I only have $85m so I'm not even getting a poverty spec 'conda yet.

Edit: why, what you have in mind?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 11, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I want a 7A module that turns the fighterbay into a small pad so I can put my DBX in my 'vette like Russian Nesting Dolls.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I want a 7A module that turns the fighterbay into a small pad so I can put my DBX in my 'vette like Russian Nesting Dolls.

Let us dock SLFs on pads so we can hand in/take missions without having to go get a small ship for any orbital platforms.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tjones posted:

Let us dock SLFs on pads so we can hand in/take missions without having to go get a small ship for any orbital platforms.

Oh that would rule

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't have a lot of trouble believing there are white supremacists playing this game (or any other) and roleplaying on a lovely discord, even if that Polygon article was garbage.

Heh yeah about that. One of Frogs' adversaries early on had to change their acronym from SS because it was too nazi. Yes they are actual space nazis.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I still want to know where they found players who were capable of core mining successfully without ever accidentally crashing into something and dying, but also incapable of noticing that their FSD was hosed or finding the self-destruct button.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Heh yeah about that. One of Frogs' adversaries early on had to change their acronym from SS because it was too nazi. Yes they are actual space nazis.

I love that Elite is so free you can openly name your group after the SS and only later does someone notice something is not quite right, while NMS is so heavily censored I can't even name a plant Kraut-something without triggering the anti-slur defenses. :allears:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Milliways is in Colonia Ratraii!

Colonia was crowded so I parked off a ring planet in The Fuel Rats' system out here. I hope the view is pretty, I went to bed before the last jump and haven't looked yet.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
How long we staying for?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

tjones posted:

I always think this would be so cool.

And, new fighter - cargo barge! It would allow you to trade at small pads (maybe buy fuel and ammo too somehow)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Welp, I'm aboard Milliways. If slush wants some fare money I'd buy some trash at 10m a pop to cover some of the tritium costs.