Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

90-110 hours is normal

for a first run, absolutely. i think i ended P5 at 100 hours exactly

ng+ isn't that bad considering you're so overpowered & can skip every dialogue/cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

It's cool whenever someone tells you they're starting Persona 5 you can automatically plot out the entire curve of their experience over the next 100 hours.

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

American McGay posted:

It's cool whenever someone tells you they're starting Persona 5 you can automatically plot out the entire curve of their experience over the next 100 hours.

This game is so insanely stylish, this is the ultimate UI. I'm in love.

Holy poo poo that first dungeon. This game is godlike.

Okay that second dungeon was a step back...I will press on

(6 months later) Fell off P5...everytime I try to pick it back up I just get bored

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

extremebuff posted:

(6 months later) Fell off P5...everytime I try to pick it back up I just get bored

I would never do that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

Remember when this exact thing happened, down to a motherfucking TEE, with you and Xenoblade Chronicles X? Yeah, nice projection.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The second and third palaces were crap, but now there are some Stakes, I am enjoying again. Although...fifth palace is another out of nowhere palace with someone I just met and don't care about too...FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

extremebuff posted:

thank you for coming back bob

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

i wish there was something between explorer and classic, classic is brutal and punishing and one good enemy turn will end your squad but explorer like, cuts enemy hp in half and everything is a joke. story goes even further and is basically god mode lol

i keep bouncing off of poe because i like to do one character runs and its really tough to find the sweet spot between 'get pwned every fight unless your overleveled' and 'game is a walking sim'

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Remember when this exact thing happened, down to a motherfucking TEE, with you and Xenoblade Chronicles X? Yeah, nice projection.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got Derpina in the SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions quiz. The battle system seems awesome and the free form world map events are cool...spent too long walking around trying to figure out how to cross a river and talking to a swamp ghost that a village got overrun by vine monsters and bad boars. I've been instantly hooked by both the presentation and the menus with 400 unexplained numbers

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

Got Derpina in the SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions quiz. The battle system seems awesome and the free form world map events are cool...spent too long walking around trying to figure out how to cross a river and talking to a swamp ghost that a village got overrun by vine monsters and bad boars. I've been instantly hooked by both the presentation and the menus with 400 unexplained numbers

Scarlet Grace kicks so much rear end. SaGa ftmfw!!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

i got urpina too and she gets insanely good after a little ways in. i really need to get back to my playthrough, i think i was approaching endgame

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also man, how cool is the battle system? it's one of my favorite in any rpg, the tactical decisions are so good

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Fungah! posted:

also man, how cool is the battle system? it's one of my favorite in any rpg, the tactical decisions are so good

its so good lol. the hypest poo poo i ever had happen was I got into a hosed up fight i was probably gonna lose and my axe user sparked dimensional break and killed everything, which I didn't realize was because that instant kill moves will work 100% of the time when first sparked.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Instant Kill moves actually being useful is one of the best parts of SaGa.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

its so good lol. the hypest poo poo i ever had happen was I got into a hosed up fight i was probably gonna lose and my axe user sparked dimensional break and killed everything, which I didn't realize was because that instant kill moves will work 100% of the time when first sparked.

gently caress yeah, i won a boss fight when urpina sparked a super strong dual wield move like one turn before i got obliterated, it did like 300 damage and i pulled the fight out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

scarlet graces is also ultimate don't give a gently caress about completionism trainer, it seems impossible to get every possible event and there isnt enough info out there to game it out. you just have to putter along and immerse yourself in the world, it kicks so much rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it combines one of my favorite JRPG battle designs, controlling turn orders, with the SaGa flavor of constant gambling. ive barely started but it seriously pwns. delaying a monster turn, having your partner finish it off and triggering ia 4 man group attack is a awesome feel. Can't wait to see how many roles, techs, weapons, equipment etc. you can unlock and what kind of tactical layering effects they'll all have

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the group attacks having turn cost buffs also gives some Bravely feels...what a cool system

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

it combines one of my favorite JRPG battle designs, controlling turn orders, with the SaGa flavor of constant gambling. ive barely started but it seriously pwns. delaying a monster turn, having your partner finish it off and triggering ia 4 man group attack is a awesome feel. Can't wait to see how many roles, techs, weapons, equipment etc. you can unlock and what kind of tactical layering effects they'll all have

getting a chain of group attacks when each attack kills a different guy and pushes more and more of your team together for bigger group attacks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

terrified of letting anyone's LP drop to 0 bc I have a feeling this game has perma death or something...have sparked a few interrupts and made it to the 2nd area and every battle is getting tense and complicated now, extremely pwnage

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i gave up trying to use a spell caster early on since they died so easily and took so long to do stuff but maybe it's time to invest

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

terrified of letting anyone's LP drop to 0 bc I have a feeling this game has perma death or something...have sparked a few interrupts and made it to the 2nd area and every battle is getting tense and complicated now, extremely pwnage

sort of, if someone's LP drops to 0 they can't fight for a certain number of battles. it's not the end of the world but does suck pretty hard. also the mage you get at the start is pretty so-so but some of the later ones are fuckin nuts, advanced spells are real strong and can easily turn the battle in your favor. like there's an earth spell that does AOE damage and reduces enemy BP substantially so if it goes off you get a serious tactical advantage. strong stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

sort of, if someone's LP drops to 0 they can't fight for a certain number of battles. it's not the end of the world but does suck pretty hard. also the mage you get at the start is pretty so-so but some of the later ones are fuckin nuts, advanced spells are real strong and can easily turn the battle in your favor. like there's an earth spell that does AOE damage and reduces enemy BP substantially so if it goes off you get a serious tactical advantage. strong stuff

neat, maybe worth investing on easy battles to juice this guys staff with Aura points or whatever. one of my knight ladies sparked a blunt interrupt AOE that paralyzed everyb enemy at once which kicked rear end, absolutely saved my hide.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that knight lady super kicks rear end, she's my ultimate tank and does second most damage after urpina. fuuuuu i really want to play this again now

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sparked a blunt? nice. :D

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

i wish there was something between explorer and classic, classic is brutal and punishing and one good enemy turn will end your squad but explorer like, cuts enemy hp in half and everything is a joke. story goes even further and is basically god mode lol

I hate save scumming and you just cannot get anywhere on Classic mode without either doing that or having a fuckin wiki open in front of you so you know exactly when and where every encounter is going to start and how to position your team

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I hate save scumming and you just cannot get anywhere on Classic mode without either doing that or having a fuckin wiki open in front of you so you know exactly when and where every encounter is going to start and how to position your team

yeah I got tired of the save scumming and im having a much better time with it lol. maybe for a future replay, there's a lot of mechanics you can use to cheese fights that I've only learned about dozens of hours in, and the devs fully expect you to use this poo poo.

out of curiosity I watched a chunk of a speedrun and of course it's just filling a chest with 5000 pounds of junk and using telekinesis to chuck it at every enemy from stealth through the whole game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The second and third palaces were crap, but now there are some Stakes, I am enjoying again. Although...fifth palace is another out of nowhere palace with someone I just met and don't care about too...FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

fifth palace is the last one like that imo, there will be Stakes from here on out

Are you playing vanilla or Royal?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Instant Kill moves actually being useful is one of the best parts of SaGa.

that's legitimately one of the things I actually like about FF2, you cast Toad enough and it gets just about everything

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

fifth palace is the last one like that imo, there will be Stakes from here on out

Are you playing vanilla or Royal?

Royalé.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Persona 5: Just came across the spaceport boss and spent the entire 30 mins fighting the fat green robots expecting some scripted crap to kick in until the timer ran out...Now I know what to do I'm just gonna go and make some psy rings or an op persona, but that poo poo was comically obnoxious.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I am in December at 69 hours in P5R so yeah, prolly 90 overall

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trash Ops posted:

I am in December at 69 hours in P5R so yeah, prolly 90 overall

What the deuce? I'm already over 70 in the beginning of October...

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I played p5 on release so I just read and advance most of the dialogue instead of chilling and listening, unless it is new poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Urpina fell in battle but the backup squad I put together actually kicks a ton of rear end and now I feel like she's dead weight. My Affection stats are plummeting. Nessa and Vigor have been my MVPs so far, Poison+Paralysis is a sick combo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Persona 5: Just came across the spaceport boss and spent the entire 30 mins fighting the fat green robots expecting some scripted crap to kick in until the timer ran out...Now I know what to do I'm just gonna go and make some psy rings or an op persona, but that poo poo was comically obnoxious.

it's the worst boss in the game and somehow the only thing that Royal actually made worse

fun fact: if you turn the difficulty up to Merciless for that boss it's actually a ton easier because the enemies have weaknesses and merciless makes weakness damage hit way way harder, so you can wipe them out really fast. On merciless you can probably one-shot most of the robots if you hit their weakness

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

yeah I got tired of the save scumming and im having a much better time with it lol. maybe for a future replay, there's a lot of mechanics you can use to cheese fights that I've only learned about dozens of hours in, and the devs fully expect you to use this poo poo.

out of curiosity I watched a chunk of a speedrun and of course it's just filling a chest with 5000 pounds of junk and using telekinesis to chuck it at every enemy from stealth through the whole game

Lmao. Cool strat.

Yeah I really love divinity but the difficulty settings really suck imo. I want to be challenged but I dont want to have to reload for every fight I dont outclass because I didnt carry a poison barrel to stop regen or something. Also those enemies that bleed cursed blood are insanely annoying since you only get a few source points per battle.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

it's the worst boss in the game and somehow the only thing that Royal actually made worse

fun fact: if you turn the difficulty up to Merciless for that boss it's actually a ton easier because the enemies have weaknesses and merciless makes weakness damage hit way way harder, so you can wipe them out really fast. On merciless you can probably one-shot most of the robots if you hit their weakness

I made a psy ring and used it to build up a huge baton pass and smashed them all that way. It’s annoying that I had to do that, instead of being able to figure out a viable strategy during the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Doing the sixth palace now and laughing at the ham-handed foreshadowing re the newest party member. I knew he was a skunk as soon as I met him at the tv station but they tried to sweep it under the rug with his confidant events. Can’t wait to find out what anime contrivance motivates him.