Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

James "Mark" Cornette only hates trump because jerry jarrett told him that's who killed brian The Dog on family guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Why did this guy drag a razor blade across his forehead in front of the crowd on a show that Jim Cornette recorded an introduction for?

Blading really obviously is how it was done back in the day. It's just that nobody knew what they were actually doing yet.

Meanwhile that Penelope comment is...odious.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sometimes I wonder how much of his hatred is just performative: people pay to listen to him be angry about things so he's angry about things for money. But then you see things like the Penelope comment, and you can't say things like that if you don't at a fundamental level hate women.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
did cornette die. is that why theres almost 100 new posts in this thread.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Seams posted:

i regret to inform you, cornette is currently alive but he did anger the maki itoh posters so he will probably lose several years of his life due to being owned online.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of his hatred is just performative: people pay to listen to him be angry about things so he's angry about things for money. But then you see things like the Penelope comment, and you can't say things like that if you don't at a fundamental level hate women.

He's a carnie. He plays himself but turned up to 11

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I want to get off Mr. Corn's wild Hole

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Seams posted:

Wrestling died so that Cornette may live

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
very few things make me feel as unsettled and gross as reading some of the things he says. that being said, i'm glad i like a promotion that is hated by this bigot. i want to like things that misogynist disgusting bigots hate.

reading that penelope quote made my skin crawl

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

have any corny marks got a tattoo of his horrific South Park avatar yet?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I agree with the sentiment that the hideous South Park art is fascinating.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's fascinating in almost the same way as a Ben Garrison because even though he doesn't do them himself like Ben does, they feel like you're looking right into his weird fetishes.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

have any corny marks got a tattoo of his horrific South Park avatar yet?

What city is this that has the world trade center, a giant hookah, and various medieval, and edo era castles

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Eat My Fuc posted:

What city is this that has the world trade center, a giant hookah, and various medieval, and edo era castles

dubai

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Eat My Fuc posted:

NEOM

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Travis, as much as he's morphed into an rear end in a top hat, is a much better artist than this stuff lets on. It's just that he had started whipping stuff up quickly in this style while listening to 6:05 Superpodcast early on and Brian and Jim loved it. So, both because of that and I guess because they need quick turnarounds, it's all in THAT style.

But as stuff like his Hanna- Barbea style interpretations of various wrestlers shows, he has talent for sure.
https://twitter.com/travscottbowden/status/959868936505327616

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I’ll be honest, that picture doesn’t really demonstrate that much talent compared to any other random twitter artist.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Reason number 4,207 why Jim Cornette is bad, and has poopy opinions:

He didn't like Southpaw Regional Wrestling. He felt, rather than a bunch of under utilized talent getting to mess about with their mates and have fun with an affectionate tribute to the shows they watched on the past. He saw it as being disrespectful, and making fun of the poo poo he likes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
because he couldn't tell those who made that clearly loved the poo poo they were satirising, there wasn't a second in Southpaw that felt mean spirited and it was a quintessential case of an affectionate parody

so of course a guy who thinks entirely in black and white cant understand you can make fun of something without burying it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I’ll be honest, that picture doesn’t really demonstrate that much talent compared to any other random twitter artist.
Sure, I'm just saying his ceiling isn't the YouTube thumbnails.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

Reason number 4,207 why Jim Cornette is bad, and has poopy opinions:

He didn't like Southpaw Regional Wrestling. He felt, rather than a bunch of under utilized talent getting to mess about with their mates and have fun with an affectionate tribute to the shows they watched on the past. He saw it as being disrespectful, and making fun of the poo poo he likes.
Honestly...I completely get where he's coming from on this, especially as someone who worked there for years and is personally very familiar with Vince's weird hangups about southerners. If you view it as a something produced by WWE as opposed to something produced by the wrestlers, then it's a lot easier to see malevolent intent. This is the same company that inserted a clip of the one time Lance Russell and Bob Armstrong hosted a random B-show together as B-roll for a discussion of how WCW was "too southern"

But Jim sucks, so...whatever, it doesn't really matter either way.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

davidbix posted:

Sure, I'm just saying his ceiling isn't the YouTube thumbnails.

So what you're saying is that Hulk Hogan was better in Japan?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Lid posted:

because he couldn't tell those who made that clearly loved the poo poo they were satirising, there wasn't a second in Southpaw that felt mean spirited and it was a quintessential case of an affectionate parody

so of course a guy who thinks entirely in black and white cant understand you can make fun of something without burying it

Jim is completely incapable of understanding any media beyond the most surface level reading. See his review of The Wrestler, where he just whined the whole time that it made wrestling look bad because there was a deathmatch scene. The Wrestler actually portrays wrestling beautifully, as theatre that's cathartic for both the viewer and the artist, where outlaws and misfits can gather and find acceptance and peace.

We're talking about a 60 year old man that thinks Family Guy is the pinnacle of comedy in human culture

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the only person I think didnt know what Southpaw's joke was TJP who is dim enough to have been oblivious to what the joke was about him

which made it even better

like Starship Troopers

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Critical posted:

like you know he thought of that line some night in bed and has been vibrating in anticipation of using it

Actually I know he hasn't, because he's used that line about the Madison Square Garden urinal about other female talent before. I think he used it talking about Sunny once.

He does that a lot, he'll paraphrase himself so he can just keep using the same "clever" insults over and over again ad nauseum.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jim's various stupid complaints about modern wrestling are a wild ride when you go back and watch the Memphis stuff he thinks was the pinnacle of wrestling, a territory full of comedy bullshit and stupid gimmicks that he replicated in his own promotion years later.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

CombineThresher posted:

Jim's various stupid complaints about modern wrestling are a wild ride when you go back and watch the Memphis stuff he thinks was the pinnacle of wrestling, a territory full of comedy bullshit and stupid gimmicks that he replicated in his own promotion years later.

Do you not like Cowabunga the anthropomorphic wrestling ninja turtle who kids love?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

smikey posted:

Do you not like Cowabunga the anthropomorphic wrestling ninja turtle who kids love?

I actually love stupid comedy bullshit in wrestling, which is why I don't complain that it's killing the business on a weekly basis like Cornette does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Starting to get the idea that Jim Cornette is a fundamentally dishonest person and shouldn't be trusted to talk about even something as stupid and simple as wrestling.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So what you are saying basically is that Corny's a Carny/Carnie.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TV Zombie posted:

So what you are saying basically is that Corny's a Carny/Carnie.

Yes, but one who's no longer aware of what the work/con actually is anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What the gently caress, Tootpipe Tommy doesn't even exist.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...utm_name=iossmf

Wreddit is voting whether to ban Corny Content

quote:

Racism and misogyny? LMAO

Jim Cornette does more than anyone in wrestling to promote progressive causes and progressive politics.

If you can't separate that from his criticism of a television product, thats a personal problem on your end.

This made me laugh. Sure he’s racist and misogynist, but he also says “orange man bad”.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...utm_name=iossmf

Wreddit is voting whether to ban Corny Content

This made me laugh. Sure he’s racist and misogynist, but he also says “orange man bad”.

I would like to yell at this person "Caristico, motherfucker!"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Now that Trump is gone I'm fully expecting Corny to complete the process of making GBS threads himself through the "walked away from the left straight into the arms of the alt-right"pipeline along with Bill Maher over the next year.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cerebral Bore posted:

So what you're saying is that Hulk Hogan was better in Japan?
More or less.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Eat My Fuc posted:

If you watch Smokey Mountain wrestling it’s a terrible show. Cornette promos for like 45% of the episode and it’s a lot of squashes and ridiculous characters. Cornette is also a bad promo and cuts the same one every time. He was much better a heel in the arenas and at ringside than on TV.

His stand up for WWE promos are pretty funny though from the 90s in this cute, primitive 90s populist way.

A little late, but I won't stand for this disrespect of "Hollywood" Bob Holly. You can tell he's from Hollywood because he has sunglasses, it's brilliant writing and character work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Tab6Ao0rc

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Zombie Lemur posted:

A little late, but I won't stand for this disrespect of "Hollywood" Bob Holly. You can tell he's from Hollywood because he has sunglasses, it's brilliant writing and character work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Tab6Ao0rc
That IS the gimmick, though. The heat is supposed to be that this dude from Alabama is claiming he's from Hollywood because he dyed his hair etc. It's like how some of the heat with Buddy Landel was being a poser Nature Boy.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

davidbix posted:

That IS the gimmick, though. The heat is supposed to be that this dude from Alabama is claiming he's from Hollywood because he dyed his hair etc. It's like how some of the heat with Buddy Landel was being a poser Nature Boy.

I get that, I just don't think Holly's the guy to pull off that type of gimmick.

I was going to say they basically just saw his last name and went with it, but it turns out that his last is actually Howard. Huh, and here I thought it really was Holly for the past 25 years. I just never cared enough to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Zombie Lemur posted:

I get that, I just don't think Holly's the guy to pull off that type of gimmick.

I was going to say they basically just saw his last name and went with it, but it turns out that his last is actually Howard. Huh, and here I thought it really was Holly for the past 25 years. I just never cared enough to check.

If his name is actually Robert Howard then Vince should have given him the gimmick of a depressed pulp fiction writer from Texas, who inadvertently brings his fictional barbarian mercenary to life as his tag team partner