Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
But I’m sure it’s not cool to like anymore because it’s about your body being full of cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Thrax is cool as hell

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The live action segments are more incongruous with the rest of the film than footage of Raymond Burr inserted into Godzilla and they really drag the film down

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

:same:

He has health problems because he eats food off the sidewalk, something no actual human does, just for the sake of gross-out humor. The rest of the film is great and underrated, though.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 9, 2021

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Thrax is cool as hell

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

But I’m sure it’s not cool to like anymore because it’s about your body being full of cops

They're only metaphorical cops used to illustrate the complex functions of the body so it's okay.

Also, if you like Osmosis Jones and are looking for anime recommendations then I strongly suggest watching Cells at Work.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I second the Cells at Work, the main work is a pretty cute and chill series.

Though fair warning Cells at Work BLACK is extremely bleak since it's in the body of someone that is in really bad shape, and there's an attack that's super uncomfortably sexualized in a way that wasn't in the manga.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
well, this sucks. Haven't seen much of their output and don't really care to, but I was looking forward to Nimona, at least. wish they could finish production and put it on Disney+

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1359192033420849156

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

well, this sucks. Haven't seen much of their output and don't really care to, but I was looking forward to Nimona, at least. wish they could finish production and put it on Disney+

Man it’s a shame since while Blue Sky wasn’t the best studio their stuff is always entertaining. I’m curious about the Disney+ Ice Age show however; the article seems to read like they are still making it. Is it being done in-house by Disney now?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barry Convex posted:

This is really uncomfortable to see. Disney is a monopoly buying up the competition and shutting it down. Feels ominous, but I'm not sure anything can be done about it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Desperate Character posted:

Man it’s a shame since while Blue Sky wasn’t the best studio their stuff is always entertaining. I’m curious about the Disney+ Ice Age show however; the article seems to read like they are still making it. Is it being done in-house by Disney now?

apparently it's being made either by WDAS or an unspecified outside studio. or maybe one of their TV animation studios

also, the article makes it sound like Nimona was the only project Blue Sky had in production, but I was under the impression that they were doing a couple of the projects Disney announced at their Investor Day on Dec. 10, like the animated Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Night at the Museum. maybe I wasn't paying close attention though

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If there's a company that needs to be broken up it's the current Disney-Fox-Marvel juggernaut

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nimona was very "of its time" and a narrative trash fire and if it were adapted "well" it would be bad and if it was adapted poorly it would probably also be bad.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pick posted:

Nimona was very "of its time" and a narrative trash fire and if it were adapted "well" it would be bad and if it was adapted poorly it would probably also be bad.

I admittedly never read it, it just sounded interesting and I liked what I read of Lumberjanes from the same creator. so maybe you're right, idk

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Whhaaat. I was looking forward to Nimona and assumed it was already finished since it's been in production so long, that's such a huge amount of super talented crew out of work. This is like when Dreamworks cancelled Larrikins. gently caress.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

If there's a company that needs to be broken up it's the current Disney-Fox-Marvel juggernaut

You’re forgetting StarWars. Disney at this point owns near all entertainment, including the joke that Disney owns everything.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Ccs posted:

Whhaaat. I was looking forward to Nimona and assumed it was already finished since it's been in production so long, that's such a huge amount of super talented crew out of work. This is like when Dreamworks cancelled Larrikins. gently caress.

The fact that Nimona was still ten months away from completion despite already having been delayed two years (its original release date was Feb. 14, 2020) might suggest that production was going less than smoothly, so maybe this is more than just a case of Big Bad Monopolistic Disney. though I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter either

anyway, there's a sliver of hope, I guess, this wouldn't be the first 20th Century movie Disney has sold to a rival streamer (they sold The Woman in the Window to Netflix, remember), but I wouldn't bet on it

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1359207769614606339

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

The fact that Nimona was still ten months away from completion despite already having been delayed two years (its original release date was Feb. 14, 2020) might suggest that production was going less than smoothly, so maybe this is more than just a case of Big Bad Monopolistic Disney. though I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter either

anyway, there's a sliver of hope, I guess, this wouldn't be the first 20th Century movie Disney has sold to a rival streamer (they sold The Woman in the Window to Netflix, remember), but I wouldn't bet on it

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1359207769614606339
I mean Frozen was technically in preproduction since Walt was alive. I know I'm being a bit hyperbolic with that example, but animation takes a long time and delays a happen a lot.

Segue
May 23, 2007

In good news, I got an email notification that Don Hertzfeldt has a new kickstarter campaign for the first three episodes of his World of Tomorrow series on Blu-Ray.

I backed his previous one a lifetime ago that included It's Such a Beautiful Day. World of Tomorrow is more experimental but just as interesting and everyone should try to pick up a copy.

It's amazing seeing him progress from juvenile, though creative and super funny, animation to these amazing philosophical works.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/worldoftomorrow/world-of-tomorrow-the-first-three-episodes-on-blu-ray?ref=profile_created

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I am so so angry they’re not being allowed to finish the film

https://mobile.twitter.com/yodelui/status/1359231262225956866

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Probably not the right thread but I have no idea where to find the right thread.

How do I watch the Evangelion Rebuild series?

Like, do I do 1 1.11 2 2.22? The whole thing seems needlessly complex and esoteric. Until very recently the ending of the series (for me) was just a bunch of people clapping saying "Congratulations". Netflix let me see the other endings and now I'm curious but the whole thing just makes me bounce off and not care again.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

1.11 and 2.22 are just extended versions of 1 and 2. They also reframed some shots and fixed some brightness issues.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone

Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
So I should do 1.11 2.22 3.33 and then whatever they call the next one?

Or 1.0 2.0 3.0 then whatever they call the next one?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VinylonUnderground posted:

So I should do 1.11 2.22 3.33 and then whatever they call the next one?

Or 1.0 2.0 3.0 then whatever they call the next one?
Yeah, as Ccs mentioned the home releases were slightly altered from the original Japanese theatrical, hence the weird .xx names. I think it was something dumb like 1 was the theatrical, 1.1 was the home version with tweaks, 1.11 was the BluRay. It's entirely not worth your time to figure out what was altered.

3.0+1.0 will likely take a minute to get over here. The Japanese theatrical run was pushed back and no one really knows when it'll premiere. Additionally, Khara is probably going to drag their feet getting the dub done (and will likely agonize over the subtitled version as well).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So the fourth one is called 3.0+1.0

That’s some xbox naming convention level poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least it's not Kingdom Hearts.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i love the way east asian ips chapter themselves in a way that feels like a deliberate joke at the expense of english speakers/translators

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was looking at the voice cast for Raya, and noticed that Alan Tudyk is the voice of Tuk Tuk. I looked back and it looks like he's been in everything since Wreck-it Ralph. Is he considered WDFA good luck charm and put in all of their movies now, similar to Pixar putting John Ratzenberger in all their movies?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least it's not Kingdom Hearts.

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1359492313081393153?s=19

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I was a huge Redwall fan back in the day, and I am a huge Over the Garden Wall fan now,so this works out beautifully for me.

"The sun shone, high and hot, on Cluny the Scourge. Cluny the Scourge!"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to try it. Netflix has produced some pretty solid animation projects so I have hope that they’ll do the books justice.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQuoffM1y-w

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well at least Redwall has a better chance than Mouse Guard of being released, considering Netflix won't be acquired by anyone anytime soon.

If Blue Sky was in California I could see Netflix possibly stepping in and trying to acquire the studio for their own projects, but it's so remote out on the east coast. Such an inconvenient place for an animation studio.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1359517479979134980?s=19

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to try it. Netflix has produced some pretty solid animation projects so I have hope that they’ll do the books justice.

there was a redwall show in the early 2000s, it was generally pretty good but not remarkable.

I think redwall in general has issues as a series. I loved it so much as a child but they wrote too many books and it really screwed things up.

Like specifically the species stuff is something you wouldn't even question in one or two books, but by the time they wrote like 20 books it's repeated uses made it a theme and it's the grossest imaginable theme and makes the whole series sour.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

there was a redwall show in the early 2000s, it was generally pretty good but not remarkable.

I think redwall in general has issues as a series. I loved it so much as a child but they wrote too many books and it really screwed things up.

Like specifically the species stuff is something you wouldn't even question in one or two books, but by the time they wrote like 20 books it's repeated uses made it a theme and it's the grossest imaginable theme and makes the whole series sour.

Every single Redwall book I went into I was craving for the one that’d finally turn the species essentialism on its head with a good vermin protagonist and a mouse that’s revealed to be evil as a twist. Even as a kid I got a sense of the unjust politics of the series and all my own imaginary stories in the setting were about triumphantly overturning prejudice and achieving equality.

Then I read Outcast of Redwall and jesus christ.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Pigbuster posted:

Every single Redwall book I went into I was craving for the one that’d finally turn the species essentialism on its head with a good vermin protagonist and a mouse that’s revealed to be evil as a twist. Even as a kid I got a sense of the unjust politics of the series and all my own imaginary stories in the setting were about triumphantly overturning prejudice and achieving equality.

This is entirely my trajectory too. I really like the Redwall idea and I think some of the books are fun to read even now, especially the first Redwall and "The Long Patrol". That said, the speciesism really prevents me from enjoying it as anything other than a passing child's fancy. Trying to make it anything other than a child's fable makes the way the "vermin" are treated just unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pigbuster posted:

It's the sort of thing where if you read one or two books you go 'eh, I can see why someone would read it that way but it doesn't seem like that big a deal" but as you read more and more books and the same things keep happening even as a kid it comes off as so weird and gross.

Like the whole 'veil' plotline feels the like most hateful and mean spirited story imaginable, there is like ten billion ways that story could have gone that would have felt fine, but every single choice that book made was to be as just awful as possible. but it's not like they do it, then go "ah, we screwed up, that wasn't good" and backtrack in some later book, they just do similar things like 3 more times. It really sucks. It feels like there being so many books turned 'this is a thing that happened once" into repeated motifs in just unreasonably awful ways.