Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think how it works is that the Wildcard ending will be more orderly if you've run around doing quests to help people. Or if you're high on karma, one of those.

Either way, I can see the Followers being overwhelmed just because previously they set up shop in the shadow of larger powers, and with House and the NCR taken out, now they're one of the biggest powers in Freeside and have to figure out how to take responsibility for that without any NCR support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
speaking of high karma, I always end up being hitler's even more evil twin despite being the messiah to everyone around me, simply because I can't stop stealing from the NCR and Legion and I'm not fond of mass murdering fiends.

I end up always cheating my karma to neutral before the end of the game so Ron Perlman doesn't call me an rear end in a top hat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Funky Valentine posted:

Have fun getting knocked over by raiders because you didn't pay House's protection money, you're not on the main route to Vegas, and you've been saying his snowglobes look like poo poo within earshot of the securitrons.

Have fun getting knocked over by raiders because the NCR doesn't have the ability to actually enforce order in your area, even if they cared about doing so (they probably don't). PS, you'd best have paid your protection money taxes.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Halser posted:

I'm not fond of mass murdering fiends.

The Fiends literally murdered an entire vault of innocent people (Motor Runner), enslave, murder and eat women and children (Cook-Cook), kidnap local caravans for ransom to buy more drugs (Prisoners in Vault 3) and terrorize the local communities (Westside). How is there any sympathy for them?

Speaking of groups with questionable sympathy (Great Khans), according to the Fallout wiki, Captain Gilles at Bitter Springs Refugee Camp is supposed to be the Major in charge of the NCR operation that turned into the Bitter Springs Massacre? I don't think this is right, because both Major Dhatri and Boone describe the Major in charge as a male (Although the wiki claims that that was a mistake on their parts). I can't find any other in-game evidence for this claim, is the wiki just making stuff up?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It is pretty lol that there are factions you gain karma from killing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 9, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Have fun getting knocked over by raiders because the NCR doesn't have the ability to actually enforce order in your area, even if they cared about doing so (they probably don't). PS, you'd best have paid your protection money taxes.

In the "best" ending, the Brotherhood patrol the southern half of the map, the Fiends are annihilated, and the Khans have pissed off north somewhere. It's probably the safest possible Mojave.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gilles is not the one responsible for the massacre.That's the wiki making stuff up. During the ending slide where Boone commits suicide after killing his former CO you can see that the CO was a man. Gilles is just the one in charge of the refugee camp and cleaning up after "The Incident".

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The Fiends literally murdered an entire vault of innocent people (Motor Runner), enslave, murder and eat women and children (Cook-Cook), kidnap local caravans for ransom to buy more drugs (Prisoners in Vault 3) and terrorize the local communities (Westside). How is there any sympathy for them?

Speaking of groups with questionable sympathy (Great Khans), according to the Fallout wiki, Captain Gilles at Bitter Springs Refugee Camp is supposed to be the Major in charge of the NCR operation that turned into the Bitter Springs Massacre? I don't think this is right, because both Major Dhatri and Boone describe the Major in charge as a male (Although the wiki claims that that was a mistake on their parts). I can't find any other in-game evidence for this claim, is the wiki just making stuff up?

I'm not being sympathetic to them, I just don't want to farm them for karma like I'm playing an MMO. I do Three Card Bounty, rescue Anders, kill Motor-runner, then it's hard to justify going back to fiend territory.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Wiki is frequently full of poo poo.
"No reason for sympathy for Fiends" is a long shot from going out of your way to kill them.

Paracelsus posted:

Same outcome, different branding. Couple inner circle people benefit, everyone else gets hosed. The capitalist lich is not any more your friend than the senators taking bribes from mutant cow farmers.
Don't let the Courier's place as "inner circle" for House cloud judgment.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A while ago I'd have said use The Vault instead of Nukapedia, but now that they're merged, well, you get only one version of stuff.

EDIT: The talk part of the page mentions that there is no confirmation whatsoever for this, and this was in... 2014, lmao. Guess nobody bothered to even tried to edit it.

EDIT 2: In fact, even though the Vault is now deprecated, it still has the better Gilles page... amazing: https://fallout-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Gilles

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 9, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

A while ago I'd have said use The Vault instead of Nukapedia, but now that they're merged, well, you get only one version of stuff.

Eeyup. Many of the issues came over from Nukapedia getting priority on conflicting merges, from what I've seen.
Edit (or tag "citation needed") where the wiki fucks up, folks. Only way it'll get cleaned up eventually.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Halser posted:

I'm not being sympathetic to them, I just don't want to farm them for karma like I'm playing an MMO. I do Three Card Bounty, rescue Anders, kill Motor-runner, then it's hard to justify going back to fiend territory.

That's fair enough. The Living Desert mod makes it so that once you do those quests Fiends decrease in numbers dramatically, although I don't like how many NCR troopers it adds to McCarron, makes it feel like the Fiends aren't really that much of a threat to begin with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fiends are a big threat strategically if not tactically. They're a distraction that ties up troops defending McCarran rather than deploying to the Dam and they're enough of a problem to justify a big military presence on guard duty. Like most problems the NCR could handle them easily if they focused their efforts but between spreading themselves too thin, Legion spies in the NCR leaking patrol details to the Fiends and Khans supplying them with chems it's a problem the army just can't deal with without outside help. Hence Dhatri putting out a bounty for mercs and private contractors.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

truly the greatest narrative flaw in New Vegas is that you can't get Yesman to strap Caesar, Kimball, and House into Clockwork Orange chairs and force them to watch hundreds of hours of anarchist video essays

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

oh jay posted:

In the "best" ending, the Brotherhood patrol the southern half of the map, the Fiends are annihilated, and the Khans have pissed off north somewhere. It's probably the safest possible Mojave.
Aside from the BoS (who introduce their own issues), you can get those same results with House, and can probably swap out the Securitrons for the BoS. The only time the Fiends stick around is Independent when you didn't kill any Fiend leaders. And the NCR's issues with inability to secure their own interior extend beyond the Mojave.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Don't let the Courier's place as "inner circle" for House cloud judgment.
Ron Perlman himself says that a good-karma Courier steers House in a better direction.

quote:

The Courier, fair and kind-hearted to those in the Wasteland, ensured that Mr. House would keep New Vegas stable and secure for future generations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
This may be from a mod but this game told me killing the Legion/Caesar was bad karma and I have no idea how.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

So, I just picked up this game off of Steam, originally played the base game way back when on console. Is a cowboy-style build viable to make it through the base game + all the DLC's? Any recommended mods? I've forgotten pretty much everything but broad strokes of the plot, so tips are welcome!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

joneswt posted:

So, I just picked up this game off of Steam, originally played the base game way back when on console. Is a cowboy-style build viable to make it through the base game + all the DLC's? Any recommended mods? I've forgotten pretty much everything but broad strokes of the plot, so tips are welcome!

Viva New Vegas is pretty much universally recommended as a starting point.
Cowboy is perfectly valid (there even happens to be a "Cowboy" perk that will help you). Hand Loader for special ammo will help make up for some of the weaker guns, but as you get up there they're plenty on their own. Armor might be iffy if aesthetic is a concern, though ranger armor & variants are solid. The one trouble point might be Dead Money, there's a handgun there still but ammo tends to get troublesome in DM.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
For Cowboy RP I'd recommend:
1. Do viva las vegas, it includes the JSawyer mod which has a lower level cap and shuffles some perks around.
2. Grab Logan's Loophole for an even lower cap.
3. Go for great luck and endurance, good intelligence, perception, and agility. Tank charisma. 4 strength is fine.
3. Get Guns, Repair, and Survival.
4. Pick up cowboy, handloader, and some perks to improve light armor and critical hits.

The reason you want to get your level cap down to 21 is because enemies scale with level but guns don't. The highest levels limit you to endgame weapons or every enemy is a bullet sponge. At 21 your revolver will drop enemies and your light armor / cowboy hat still keep you safe.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Paracelsus posted:

Ron Perlman himself says that a good-karma Courier steers House in a better direction.

That's why I regard it as the best ending - House is able to rebuild the wasteland, with the Courier keeping him in line, and connecting him with the people, Legion fractured, and the NCR in a reflective state, and cured of its expansion obsession, but ready to work with the Mojave as partners.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The reason you want to get your level cap down to 21 is because enemies scale with level but guns don't. The highest levels limit you to endgame weapons or every enemy is a bullet sponge. At 21 your revolver will drop enemies and your light armor / cowboy hat still keep you safe.

Wait what? I didn't know how NV had level scaling. At least not level scaling that egregious :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The DLCs do, I think it's really only a problem in Old World Blues, though Lonesome Road does have a few eye-watering enemies as well

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is THAT why Lonesome Road was like that?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I'm doing a completionist run for the first time in years with an NCR cowboy build and yeah the dlc enemy scaling is atrocious. Hunting shotgun with long tube, 4/0 buck magnum, and the two shotgun perks has been my go to for dealing with that bullshit. I'm fast enough to backpedal forever from tunnelers but if one of the lonesome road deathclaws gets too close I have to pray I trigger the shotgun knockback. gently caress those couple of scripted encounters with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least the deathclaws in the Courier's Mile are easy. Everything there is irradiated and has low DT so you just grab a minigun with all the hollowpoint ammo you need and go to town.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Was always disappointed there wasn't a better version of That Gun. I had a good "halfway into the future" look going on with that thing, the Holorifle, and the stealth suit, but its ability to use AP rounds didn't stack up against the capabilities of most other weapons at higher levels.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I always like how far you can take a pump action shotgun in New Vegas. Maybe I just watched too much Desert Punk when I was a teenager but it's so satisfying to have different shells for different jobs. "Oh what's that? A sentry bot? Let me just load up my robo-fucker slugs and I'm good to go!"

And not to mention making coin-shot out of Legion money, and then very helpfully returning it to them one shell at a time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Riot Shotgun is a beast with the And Stay Back perk.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Imagine not using the .357 revolver the entire game.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, Old World Blues in particular is really bad about the scaling.

Is there a reason why stealth is impossible outside and every enemy for miles around will instantly swarm you if you try to stealth snipe in that DLC? There doesn't seem to be any explanation or warning about that.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

For Cowboy RP I'd recommend:
1. Do viva las vegas, it includes the JSawyer mod which has a lower level cap and shuffles some perks around.
2. Grab Logan's Loophole for an even lower cap.
3. Go for great luck and endurance, good intelligence, perception, and agility. Tank charisma. 4 strength is fine.
3. Get Guns, Repair, and Survival.
4. Pick up cowboy, handloader, and some perks to improve light armor and critical hits.

Decided to start my run over again (had only just made it to Freeside in non-hardcore) with these suggestions, not necessarily for the RP value but because I've played this game to death and have never felt like it was a good idea to restrict myself. Made a few compromises with lStewie tweaks; I'm keeping essential companions because the AI is too loving dumb for me to want to deal with that and I'm gonna let sleep heal me.

Because I'm using WMX I've ended up using JSawyer "Ultimate Edition". It sounds okay but for some reason anyone with a Varmint Rifle is carrying .22LR ammo instead of 5.56. This lead to Sunny Smiles giving me a Varmint Rifle and some .22LR; she was also carrying .22LR and ended up rushing into the Goodsprings fight with the Powder Gangers with a shovel but somehow didn't die (Cheyenne did tho)

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, Old World Blues in particular is really bad about the scaling.

Is there a reason why stealth is impossible outside and every enemy for miles around will instantly swarm you if you try to stealth snipe in that DLC? There doesn't seem to be any explanation or warning about that.

I just finished OWB a few days ago and had more than one lobotomite group spawn in clear view a few feet in front of me.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ignorant Hick posted:

I'm doing a completionist run for the first time in years with an NCR cowboy build and yeah the dlc enemy scaling is atrocious. Hunting shotgun with long tube, 4/0 buck magnum, and the two shotgun perks has been my go to for dealing with that bullshit. I'm fast enough to backpedal forever from tunnelers but if one of the lonesome road deathclaws gets too close I have to pray I trigger the shotgun knockback. gently caress those couple of scripted encounters with them.

If you are doing a Cowboy build, what's stopping you from using Brush Gun/Medicine Stick with the hand loaded 45-70. rounds? That always worked wonders on Deathclaws

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you are doing a Cowboy build, what's stopping you from using Brush Gun/Medicine Stick with the hand loaded 45-70. rounds? That always worked wonders on Deathclaws

Cause I’ve done that before and I’m going to get bored if I play things optimally like that. I’ve been saving up 45-70 cause I started this run with the idea of using the ranger sequoia as my main weapon once I’ve gotten far enough along to feel like I’ve “earned” it.

I also made a conscious effort to do the dlcs much earlier cause I usually put them off for awhile and wanted to go through them at a lower level and with something other than top level gear.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Because I'm using WMX I've ended up using JSawyer "Ultimate Edition". It sounds okay but for some reason anyone with a Varmint Rifle is carrying .22LR ammo instead of 5.56.
This is because "Ultimate" means second-guessing the choices I made and adding a bunch of other things that the modder personally liked that also make the mod more fragile.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Does Ultimate actually convert the varmint rifle back to .22?
For that matter - RK, I know you've mentioned previously that the varmint rifle was changed because testers hated how low the damage was. Do you remember what that value was offhand? I know the pistol is 9 and the SMG is 10, vs the 18 of the release version's varmint rifle; just wondering how much of a practical difference the change in caliber made and how much it ended up being "game feel".

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Does Ultimate actually convert the varmint rifle back to .22?
Yes.

quote:

For that matter - RK, I know you've mentioned previously that the varmint rifle was changed because testers hated how low the damage was. Do you remember what that value was offhand? I know the pistol is 9 and the SMG is 10, vs the 18 of the release version's varmint rifle; just wondering how much of a practical difference the change in caliber made and how much it ended up being "game feel".
It was low enough that it was only practically useful against people in no armor. With a bolt action/low rate of fire, it didn't feel good at all. The .22LR weapons in the game are gimmicky and more or less require you to build specifically around ultra sneak damage so you can mag dump into someone's head from the shadows and the sneak crit damage roasts them before they can do anything. That just didn't work for your first bolt action rifle.

I think you could probably build a Ruger 10/22 type gun with that vibe, but that's a semi-auto, very different feel.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I love the look of the Varmint Rifle and it bummed me out so bad that it gets eclipsed in usefulness before you even hit New Game, so the change to 5.56 ruled. Anyone who mods it to undo that change is a criminal.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I notice that Fiends commonly carry energy weapons. Its as if someone who may not be too keen on NCR may be supplying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

rope kid posted:

means second-guessing the choices I made and adding a bunch of other things that the modder personally liked

This is basically why I don't do overhaul mods.