Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

teen witch posted:

The IT head is located in an entirely different country and time zone. We have no one for IT here, we have to call in a third party to come in and fix things, and ask me about having no internet for the next twenty min.

We used to have an admin here and he asked for a raise comparable to what other admins are paid in this city. He was denied, and he left for greener pastures three years ago. We hired no one to replace him. I’ve asked several times for someone to be hired so we don’t have patchwork garbage going on. Usually the IT head guy in HQ (again, continents away) will WhatsApp me or the office manager for things to be fixed and this is like, much higher tier IT work that I know little of. This takes away hours from my job as the infrastructure is super patchwork and collapsing

Sounds like the company my partner works for. Want something changed in sap? The dude who does it is in Brazil hope it isn't urgent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
For the fifth time this week, my boss let someone who cannot speak English convince him I had spelled something wrong when I hadn't.

You'd think he'd realize by now...but he never does.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ooh boy, this is my kinda thread.

I work in quality assurance for a manufacturing company, we make a very specific thing, and have had nearly a global monopoly on this thing for the better part of 30 years.
this dominance is now slipping due to the company going from private to public owned, with the previous owner who had a teutonic obsession for quality being kicked to the curb.
now profit uber alles is the name of the game, regardless if quality suffers. this makes my mission of "never pass a known fault to a customer" difficult when i have influence as a SME without authority.

it sometimes results in the situation i'm dealing with now.
in order to meet q4 revenue targets, a product was shipped that unbeknownst to me was suffering from severe quality issues. the thing we make didn't make what the customer needs correctly.
these quality issues were deliberately hidden from the quality team by management as they knew we'd raise holy hell about shipping known quality issues to a customer.

so instead we play dumb, customer gets their new shiny thing and raise holy hell when they can't get it to work.
guess who's job it is now to ensure that they get it to work correctly
it me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In a sane world that sort of fuckery would be a fireable offence so I assume the guy who hid the faults is getting a raise?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

ooh boy, this is my kinda thread.

I work in quality assurance for a manufacturing company, we make a very specific thing, and have had nearly a global monopoly on this thing for the better part of 30 years.
this dominance is now slipping due to the company going from private to public owned, with the previous owner who had a teutonic obsession for quality being kicked to the curb.
now profit uber alles is the name of the game, regardless if quality suffers. this makes my mission of "never pass a known fault to a customer" difficult when i have influence as a SME without authority.

it sometimes results in the situation i'm dealing with now.
in order to meet q4 revenue targets, a product was shipped that unbeknownst to me was suffering from severe quality issues. the thing we make didn't make what the customer needs correctly.
these quality issues were deliberately hidden from the quality team by management as they knew we'd raise holy hell about shipping known quality issues to a customer.

so instead we play dumb, customer gets their new shiny thing and raise holy hell when they can't get it to work.
guess who's job it is now to ensure that they get it to work correctly
it me

I work QA too and know this struggle all too well.

With us we have one general product but there are a lot of different options you can change to achieve different things with our product. Sales will still find a way to sell something we've never done before (and usually there's a reason we haven't done it, and that reason is because it's stupid or won't work). Then engineering gets involved as little as possible first, production just makes the closest approximation to what was sold, they bring it back to my area, it doesn't work, and then it suddenly becomes my problem. I have one back in my area right now that was supposed to go out in the middle of December but it's just churning here, they make minor tweaks to it and want to test it again. All it really has done so far is take up valuable floor space and data logging capacity.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Combo posted:

I work QA too and know this struggle all too well.

With us we have one general product but there are a lot of different options you can change to achieve different things with our product. Sales will still find a way to sell something we've never done before (and usually there's a reason we haven't done it, and that reason is because it's stupid or won't work). Then engineering gets involved as little as possible first, production just makes the closest approximation to what was sold, they bring it back to my area, it doesn't work, and then it suddenly becomes my problem. I have one back in my area right now that was supposed to go out in the middle of December but it's just churning here, they make minor tweaks to it and want to test it again. All it really has done so far is take up valuable floor space and data logging capacity.

lol i have a hundred grand worth of one specific part i've had in my containment area for 3 years. all that needs to be done to get the parts fixed is put them on a surface grinder to change the surface finish.

nobody wants to take responsibility for the parts if something gets hosed up on them because number big. so instead they slowly corrode and within the next year will no longer be salvageable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Start a move to finish them. If it works you're the big hero. If it fails you used your initiative and cleared some space ahead of time and you're the big hero.

--

I just realised you can hold space while muted on zoom to temporarily unmute, release to mute again. Like using a radio switch. It's great. Also 'I have connectivity issues' are magic words to turn your webcam off and gently caress about on your phone.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Outrail posted:

Start a move to finish them. If it works you're the big hero. If it fails you used your initiative and cleared some space ahead of time and you're the big hero.

--

I just realised you can hold space while muted on zoom to temporarily unmute, release to mute again. Like using a radio switch. It's great. Also 'I have connectivity issues' are magic words to turn your webcam off and gently caress about on your phone.

if only the other grandpas out there could learn the magic of PTT as you did

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jeza posted:

if only the other grandpas out there could learn the magic of PTT as you did

I spent a solid 5 minutes using screenshare explaining the difference between clicking a link to open zoom in the browser and opening the app. I'm still not sure he understands the difference.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
In my last job, management fired/pushed out 50% of the experienced workshop staff (most who had been there for 5 years+) within about 2 months and replaced them with 17 year old apprentices. At the end the guy teaching the apprentices had been at the company for <6 months. Then they complained that the work had slowed down. I don't understand the cognitive dissonance.

"we can make a quick buck if we gut the bottom out of the whole company", "this surely wont come back to bite us"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?lang=en

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Butternubs posted:

In my last job, management fired/pushed out 50% of the experienced workshop staff (most who had been there for 5 years+) within about 2 months and replaced them with 17 year old apprentices. At the end the guy teaching the apprentices had been at the company for <6 months. Then they complained that the work had slowed down. I don't understand the cognitive dissonance.

"we can make a quick buck if we gut the bottom out of the whole company", "this surely wont come back to bite us"

The people for whom this works are CEOs who are in and out so quickly the terrible consequences don't manifest before they've left.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My org has one big main office with most departments in it, then two much smaller separate offices (where I am) across the lot. Our admin sent out an email today saying to evacuate the main office, which usually means a confirmed covid case was in (this is the 4th or 5th time this has happened) and that everyone in that building can go home and get paid the rest of the day.

All the departments have had most of a year to come up with work from home schedules, IT has provided laptops, TeamViewer, training for remote, and we've switched to a new time clock system to make it easier, and still the majority of employees work in person, which then leads to emergency closures for covid like this. The last closure took out our finance and procurement departments and those employees had to scramble to set up work from home even though they should've had it figured out months ago.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

For the fifth time this week, my boss let someone who cannot speak English convince him I had spelled something wrong when I hadn't.

You'd think he'd realize by now...but he never does.

Definitely going to need a list of how they thought each of these was misspelled

Also was it one person or multiple people who convinced him

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Forced move to onedrive - check
Lock everyone out of older network drive before getting to move files over - check

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Forced move to onedrive - check
Lock everyone out of older network drive before getting to move files over - check

Have everyone use whichever different cloud storage system they like for whatever crucial documents they like and not bothering to spring for any central database for important things - check
Decline to pay for any cloud storage whatsoever when free amounts run out so that important things get deleted - check

Play fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 10, 2021

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

There's a bunch of people absolutely throwing a fit about having a 10 year retention limit for files on the new onedrive. I guess it's based off of each file's last modified date. So to satiate the crowd they are asking IT if there is some kind of script they can run to mass modify every file's last modified by date, once they allow all the boomers access back to the network drive to move over their gigs worth of year 2000s PDF'd emails they've never opened in 15 years.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ah yes the internet. Renowned for being a secure place to keep things.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My company moved to Office 365 a few weeks back and just started encouraging people use Microsoft Planner to set up action items, road maps and what not.

From 9 to 1 today I got 500 emails because someone sent out a test message from a Planner group and used the all Business Unit distribution. Somehow every response to the email was sent to the distribution, even if you didn't hit the reply all option. The first few responses were "received" or whatever and others were "I don't know why I'm on this list." It quickly devolved into 40 point bold font "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!" and people admonishing everyone for their bad email etiquette and then some people just complaining everyone was flooding their inboxes.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

My company moved to Office 365 a few weeks back and just started encouraging people use Microsoft Planner to set up action items, road maps and what not.

From 9 to 1 today I got 500 emails because someone sent out a test message from a Planner group and used the all Business Unit distribution. Somehow every response to the email was sent to the distribution, even if you didn't hit the reply all option. The first few responses were "received" or whatever and others were "I don't know why I'm on this list." It quickly devolved into 40 point bold font "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!" and people admonishing everyone for their bad email etiquette and then some people just complaining everyone was flooding their inboxes.

Hail satan

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Definitely going to need a list of how they thought each of these was misspelled

Also was it one person or multiple people who convinced him

I don't know who, he just said "one of the programmers," and admitted that the person did not speak English.

It could very well have been one of my numbnuts hikkikomori co-writers. Last week, one of them kept spelling "bureaucracy" as bouroucracy and literally made me sit there and watch him Google it after I had assured him five times that it was correct. This is the same guy who once told me that beautiful women are stupid and ugly women are smarter because they have to be out of absolutely nowhere once, so par for the course for his stupid rear end.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Lazyfire posted:

Reminds me of this classic:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/me-too/ba-p/610643

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I do like how even people working with the technology that things run on can't stop and think about hitting Reply All on a huge distribution list email for five seconds.

I'm talking with a friend who works for another company inside our mega corp and apparently it was bigger than I thought. It was apparently everyone in the US branches of the company, not my business unit. That included any contractors who had company email addresses. Well over 200k people.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lazyfire posted:

This is amazing because I believe Outlook on O365 has a "step out of conversation" button specifically to be able to remove yourself from this sort of Reply All hell.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

This is amazing because I believe Outlook on O365 has a "step out of conversation" button specifically to be able to remove yourself from this sort of Reply All hell.

We had to go to Planner and opt out of the group conversation. I found I was signed up for 30 groups, one of which was "Taco Night" and I found out about it when a guy sent a screed about guacamole to the entire company distribution in the middle of all this. I don't know if it was by accident or on purpose or what, but I laughed at that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

post the screed

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Some guy responding to an email titled "need guac" posted:

This is subjective and isn't taking into the account of people who do not like guac and is further potentially insensitive to those whom may have a "guac" allergy.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Been full remote since last December, partial remote since beginning of pandemic. I'm a developer, so we have daily sprint meetings which are somewhat productive, and help us focus on what is actually needed from the business units. We have code review twice a week, a retrospective meeting, and a planning/scoping meeting. Way better setup than my last project manager that had to be reassigned due to verbally abusing my team too many times, lol.

In practice, we have 4 sprint meetings a week, maybe one code review meeting a week, retrospective once a month, and planning has happened once since December. I do get assigned work every Monday sprint meeting, but other than that I am kind of left to my own devices for the work day/work week. I do feature additions for a legacy system that less than 10% of my department has ever worked on, so I don't have many people scrutinizing my weeks. I've had one meeting with my department head this year, and it was mostly us BSing about stuff that had little if anything to do with work. He told me to keep up the good work, my metrics are great and I am more available over slack than any other team member. I do work directly with the CEO on some projects, currently we are working on a new business line using existing processes. I have gotten a lot of praise from him for my work done, so at least I won't lose my job any time soon. Still haven't had a review in over a year though, lemme get that raise please.

To the poster having a developer argue with you about spelling, just ignore that. The longer you develop, the worse your spelling and grammar gets.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't know who, he just said "one of the programmers," and admitted that the person did not speak English.

It could very well have been one of my numbnuts hikkikomori co-writers. Last week, one of them kept spelling "bureaucracy" as bouroucracy and literally made me sit there and watch him Google it after I had assured him five times that it was correct. This is the same guy who once told me that beautiful women are stupid and ugly women are smarter because they have to be out of absolutely nowhere once, so par for the course for his stupid rear end.

lol What did he say when he found out you were right

Also what the hell is that some kind of weird backhanded compliment

I don't miss working in Tokyo at a Japanese company at all lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

There's a bunch of people absolutely throwing a fit about having a 10 year retention limit for files on the new onedrive. I guess it's based off of each file's last modified date. So to satiate the crowd they are asking IT if there is some kind of script they can run to mass modify every file's last modified by date, once they allow all the boomers access back to the network drive to move over their gigs worth of year 2000s PDF'd emails they've never opened in 15 years.

We have a 18 month retention policy on emails (a few exceptions for some shared mailboxes/folders and a few people, mostly in legal or C-level) and boy oh boy the complaints.

Like....if that old email is so important, why do you have it just "hanging around" your inbox? Move it to another folder*, save it outside of Outlook, move the contents to OneNote, loving literally anything else other than "use Inbox as a filing cabinet."

*This may or may not work, but often retention policies only apply to the default folders, so Inbox (and any sub folders under inbox,) sent, and deleted items. But you can make a folder that's in your mailbox but NOT a sub-folder of the inbox, and it might not get deleted as part of the retention policy.

But again, depends on how it's config'd, honestly, just save them out or copy the contents to a different document if they're so important.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DrBouvenstein posted:

We have a 18 month retention policy on emails (a few exceptions for some shared mailboxes/folders and a few people, mostly in legal or C-level) and boy oh boy the complaints.

Like....if that old email is so important, why do you have it just "hanging around" your inbox? Move it to another folder*, save it outside of Outlook, move the contents to OneNote, loving literally anything else other than "use Inbox as a filing cabinet."

*This may or may not work, but often retention policies only apply to the default folders, so Inbox (and any sub folders under inbox,) sent, and deleted items. But you can make a folder that's in your mailbox but NOT a sub-folder of the inbox, and it might not get deleted as part of the retention policy.

But again, depends on how it's config'd, honestly, just save them out or copy the contents to a different document if they're so important.

Where I'm at, retention applies to everything.

However, the "if the email was so important, why didn't you file it" is pretty bullshit imo. I don't have time to painstakingly file every single email; I might be lucky if it gets into a folder at all, to be honest. There's a search function for a reason. I don't know how often people have asked me "oh do you remember that thing about ______________, I think it's happening again" and I can just search my email and see if I have some info about that topic. Sometimes all I've got is "Hmm, I have a record of that thing happening, and it looks like I got run around a bunch before someone finally connected me with Bo Jangles; I think he was the one that took care of it." Without that, we would have to start back at square 1 and do the whole Bureaucratic Runaround again. Yeah, in hindsight, that email to Bo Jangles was important, but in the moment it didn't seem so (because we thought we had taken care of the issue permanently).

This is especially true of stuff that doesn't happen very often. Annual processes are bad enough to find documentation for; one-off stuff that only seems to happen once every few years are even worse.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Zarin posted:

Where I'm at, retention applies to everything.

However, the "if the email was so important, why didn't you file it" is pretty bullshit imo. I don't have time to painstakingly file every single email; I might be lucky if it gets into a folder at all, to be honest. There's a search function for a reason. I don't know how often people have asked me "oh do you remember that thing about ______________, I think it's happening again" and I can just search my email and see if I have some info about that topic. Sometimes all I've got is "Hmm, I have a record of that thing happening, and it looks like I got run around a bunch before someone finally connected me with Bo Jangles; I think he was the one that took care of it." Without that, we would have to start back at square 1 and do the whole Bureaucratic Runaround again. Yeah, in hindsight, that email to Bo Jangles was important, but in the moment it didn't seem so (because we thought we had taken care of the issue permanently).

This is especially true of stuff that doesn't happen very often. Annual processes are bad enough to find documentation for; one-off stuff that only seems to happen once every few years are even worse.

Absolutely agreed lol. Half the poo poo I search my inbox for at the time don’t seem like something I’d even need to save or throw into a network share. That sort of attitude is why people start to hate IT.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

There was a murder today by my office so everyone was sent home and I dont have to go in tomorrow. What id be doing wouldn't impede the investigation in any way, but im fine with not going in

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 10, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

titty_baby_ posted:

There was a murder today by my office so everyone was sent home and I dont have to go in tomorrow. What id be doing wouldn't impede the investigation in any way, but im fine with not going in

Do you think you'll get away with it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Tetramin posted:

Absolutely agreed lol. Half the poo poo I search my inbox for at the time don’t seem like something I’d even need to save or throw into a network share. That sort of attitude is why people start to hate IT.

Everyone hates IT because we hate retention periods, but then everyone hates legal when you have to go through 37 years of records on a subpoena because you retained everything instead of clearing it out occasionally.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thanatosian posted:

Everyone hates IT because we hate retention periods, but then everyone hates legal when you have to go through 37 years of records on a subpoena because you retained everything instead of clearing it out occasionally.

Yeah, it is definitely driven by legal.

I've tried suggesting that maybe we can have infinite retention periods if everyone is on their best behavior and promises not to do anything illegal, but then they laugh at me and tell me to delete my files per the guidelines :sigh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I archive all my emails because it's great to pull up emails from 3-4 years ago with pictures/screenshots of the exact same problem I'm seeing right now along with the assurance from the engineering manager that the defect will never happen again, and then drop it on that managers desk and watch him sweat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
In 2018 my company rolled out new fleets to 3 of our operations. The operation contracted to fuel United planes got several million worth of fueling equipment but the director didn't want to put new rolling stairs out despite my insistence they were necessary as the new equipment couldn't go underwing for fueling 737's. I showed the director a picture of one of the mangled stairs we had out there and, upon seeing it, he told me to remove it from the ramp immediately as it was clearly unsafe. So I ordered some folding A-frame ladders and put those out as a temporary replacement. Next thing I know the shop manager was ordering more folding ladders and telling maintenance to weld ladder racks onto equipment. :stonklol: Guys, that ain't right. Imagine someone on a windy, rainy day hauling a big hose up to the wing of an airplane on a wobbly ladder for minimum wage.

~not the same~

Failure to provide safe equipment results in workers doing stupid things and breaking things (including themselves.) A year later that United operation, supplied with only ladders, had 2500% more nozzle rebuilds than every other fueling fleet, both new and old, combined. Again, with a brand new fleet. The nozzles are designed to last a lifetime, unless people are regularly dropping them from heights FOR SOME REASON. Rebuild kits cost $1000-$2000 and then there's labor, downtime, considerable fines for fuel spills, cleanup, hazardous waste disposal, penalties for delaying a flight, etc. A total cost of a lot more than some goddamn stairs. I tried to make the argument that the folding ladders aren't OSHA compliant, you must maintain 3 points of contact when climbing a ladder and that's not possible when holding a heavy nozzle connected to a huge hose. The director insisted folding ladders were compliant and pretended that 3 points of contact was not required because he did not see a difference between climbing a ladder and climbing a stand with stairs and guardrail.

Two nozzles requiring rebuilds. Can you spot the difference between general wear and equipment abuse?

So the director cracks down on unusually high maintenance costs and sends the general manager to our shop to lay out new guidelines for reducing expenses. Clearly the problem here is maintenance spending too much on parts, so he put restrictions on that. After that things started falling apart pretty quickly. In 2019 we lost half of the United gates. United contracted them to a different company. The new company put 2 stair frames on every gate, a small rigid frame and a larger adjustable stairs both with hand rails. Gee, now why didn't we think of that?