Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"Hi."<enter>
"When you've got a minute, I have a question for you"

It's not that difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Honestly though, I need to know what they're asking before I acknowledge them in case it's something I don't want to deal with and then I can just ignore them.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure that depends on just how long your greybeard is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just find it hard to manage my work if everyone sends me chats instead of an email or opening a ticket. Come in to 8 private message, blah.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Pretty sure that depends on just how long your greybeard is.

As the only person on my team with a beard, which happens to be very gray....

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I think it depends on workloads and stuff. I’m tolerant of it when I’m not busy, if I’m busy I’m ignoring that poo poo since opening with ‘hi’ means it can’t be that important.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I definitely prefer it if, when someone messages me, they get right into the reason for said message.

"hi, when you have a minute, i have a question about $thing."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

my cat is norris posted:

my job involves far too many need, need, need, now, now, now interactions, and sometimes my broken brain just overloads and retreats

big mood

I haven't cried in the bathroom yet this year! :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dragonshardz posted:

I definitely prefer it if, when someone messages me, they get right into the reason for said message.

This is my go-to.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

It's beautiful. We've figured it out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

you know what i love?

when people get angry at sales not answering and they start calling all the lines

you don't even have poo poo connected there how the gently caress do you think tech support gonna help

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sixth and maimed posted:

We have a sales rep that ends each email by posing a question and bolding and underlining it. He probably picked it up from a stupid sales course saying this is how you call people to action but it only pisses me off. He does if for the most trivial stuff, too. In peak passive-aggressiveness, I started doing the same back at him, only for completely trivial stuff.

I have a client? Who doesn't seem to understand the difference between a full stop and a question mark? All her problem reports and requests are like that?

I sometimes wonder whether it's some kind of "female company owner not wanting to come over as demanding" thing, but oh my god it's annoying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uptalking is a thing definitely but I've never encountered uptyping lol

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shugojin posted:

you know what i love?

when people get angry at sales not answering and they start calling all the lines

you don't even have poo poo connected there how the gently caress do you think tech support gonna help

WELL CLEARLY YOU CAN TRANSFER ME TO SALES RIGHT??? :byodood:

Our sales people don't even have a centralized access number, I can't even get hold of a sales person easily when I need one. :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gats Akimbo posted:

I have a client? Who doesn't seem to understand the difference between a full stop and a question mark? All her problem reports and requests are like that?

I sometimes wonder whether it's some kind of "female company owner not wanting to come over as demanding" thing, but oh my god it's annoying.

There was a lady I worked with at my old job and she did this for exactly the reason you guessed. She was super competent? and never had unreasonable requests? but always came across super timid? but if you have the time? and it’s not too difficult?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

I have and it's exactly as annoying to read as it is to hear. Most people do uptyping as "...", too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

dragonshardz posted:

I have and it's exactly as annoying to read as it is to hear. Most people do uptyping as "...", too.

I call that 'ellipses abuse' and it's a personal pet peeve.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get annoyed if people put a question in a chat without putting a question mark but then send a message afterwards with just the'?' in - it reads as if they are trying to hurry you up for an answer

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
please find the below issue:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I get annoyed if people put a question in a chat without putting a question mark but then send a message afterwards with just the'?' in - it reads as if they are trying to hurry you up for an answer

Oh, God, my fingers sometimes get ahead of my brain and I do this, but it's, like, a quarter second after the previous message. I also punctuate all of my IMs/text messages normally, please don't hate me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks thread

I was just thinking about one coworker of mine who does the slack-me-with "Hi," thing, followed by typing indicator for like 5 minutes while I sit there on tenterhooks wondering wtf he's going to surprise me with

And just as I went to post about him, "Hi," (dot dot dot dot dot dot for 5m)

e: christ he's still typing

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 9, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That would be the point where I'd TeamViewer into their PC and check the Disable Remote Input box.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We're both devs. About all I fantasize about doing is just going "WHAT ARE YOU TYPING???" halfway through whatever it is he's meticulously crafting

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's just walked away and left his headphones on the spacebar.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Hi."<enter>

It's not that difficult.

However, it's never a question. Or quick.

Gats Akimbo posted:

Data Graham posted:

Oh my dear God I hate it when people talk like that, much less type it out. Make a declarative, definitive statement, person! Are you sure about anything?

Data Graham posted:

We're both devs. About all I fantasize about doing is just going "WHAT ARE YOU TYPING???" halfway through whatever it is he's meticulously crafting

Pretty sure it does that if you just type a bit and then leave the window idle.
Maybe not. Never actually checked that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Obviously we need to test it. I'll try in Teams tomorrow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

guppy posted:

I would personally prefer that I get a brief "hi" or similar greeting and also some idea of what is going on in the first message -- when people just launch directly into "I need xyz" it strikes me as rude. But a lot of this unpleasantry can be avoided if you just... talk to people like a normal person. If people are forever leaving you "Hi" with no content, just tell them "Hey can you tell me what's going on when you message? I might not see it for a bit and if it just says 'hi' it's going to be a longer wait til I get back to the message again and see what you need" or something similar and voila, expectations are set.

As someone who does 'hi' quite often... If its urgent, I'll say whats up when I message, if I just say 'hi' its 'I need your attention when you aren't busy with something else'

And if it escalates, or you aren't finding free time quick enough, I'll add more info at that time.

Its almost as if context matters

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My problem is that I'm a one person show, and if I'm needed it means some poo poo's going down. And if poo poo's going down, I'm already pressed for time, maybe in a webex with a vendor, and 3 people are "hi"ing me at once.

There's also the problem where you respond back to them, ask them what they need immediately, then it takes them 20 minutes to get back to you. I was ready to give you my full attention 20 minutes ago, but now I'm doing something else, so now you have to wait.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Darchangel posted:

However, it's never a question. Or quick.

While true, it's still better than "hi" or <silly pleasantries because I don't understand business relationships and think everything is personal>

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

big mood

:glomp:

hang in there

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

It's only February.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

RFC2324 posted:

As someone who does 'hi' quite often... If its urgent, I'll say whats up when I message, if I just say 'hi' its 'I need your attention when you aren't busy with something else'

And if it escalates, or you aren't finding free time quick enough, I'll add more info at that time.

Its almost as if context matters

"Context matters", says poster who quite often sends chat messages containing no context about the nature of the message.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Me either!

It was in my kitchen instead. :smith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kyrosiris posted:

Me either!

It was in my kitchen instead. :smith:

Does it count if it wasn't work related?

Covid's been hard on everybody.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 10, 2021

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

RFC2324 posted:

If I just say 'hi' its 'I need your attention when you aren't busy with something else'

Then why don't you do everybody a favor and say "Hi, I need your attention when you aren't busy with something else."

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Better yet, say what you need the attention for, so that the recipient can prioritize.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hello.

Our toner in the xx office printer needs to be replaced.

I am sure one of the secretaries will be able to help you.

I can’t remember if there’s an extra toner in our office. If not, the secretary should be able to get one for you.

We are receiving faxes from payer sources that they can’t read our faxes. In the past, this occurs because the toner needs to be replaced.

Please and thank you.

I don't think our lack of toner is preventing recipients from reading our faxes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

Hello.

Our toner in the xx office printer needs to be replaced.

I am sure one of the secretaries will be able to help you.

I can’t remember if there’s an extra toner in our office. If not, the secretary should be able to get one for you.

We are receiving faxes from payer sources that they can’t read our faxes. In the past, this occurs because the toner needs to be replaced.

Please and thank you.

I don't think our lack of toner is preventing recipients from reading our faxes.

So many times that Babbage quote about "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question" pops into my head

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bob Morales posted:

I operate under:

Chat = immediate-ish
Email = reply back in the next couple hours

If you’re not going to respond to “hey mike”, sign out of chat

but my name isn't Mike

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Hi."<enter>

It's not that difficult.
This is what I try to do. I like doing a general greeting but I try not to leave it hanging there.

dragonshardz posted:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I call that 'ellipses abuse' and it's a personal pet peeve.
This was me even into college. I've generally broken my habit of it and usually only do it when intentionally trailing a sentence off...

... to deliver a punchline a couple of lines later.

Thanks Ants posted:

This however is me.

Thanatosian posted:

Oh, God, my fingers sometimes get ahead of my brain and I do this, but it's, like, a quarter second after the previous message. I also punctuate all of my IMs/text messages normally, please don't hate me.
And this is why. Also, sup punctuation buddy? Anything more than ~5 words in an IM or text is given the full sentence treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nth Doctor posted:

And this is why. Also, sup punctuation buddy? Anything more than ~5 words in an IM or text is given the full sentence treatment.
I discovered the other day that you can edit your most recent Teams/Discord message by hitting the up arrow, and that has been life-changing for me. :eng101:

A friend also sent me a somewhat scientific thing about using punctuation in text messages being seen as cold or passive/aggressive, and I just sent him the Nick Fury "I recognize the council has made a decision, but it is a stupid-rear end decision so I have elected to ignore it" meme.