Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can we just put it in the tread title that having your actor be a sex pest is the leading cause of space strokes? We're getting at least one "duuuude what happened to Alex" post per page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: LOST killed a lot of characters for out of screen reasons and I dont remember any of them being so ridiculous as Alex death was

The only one I remember was the guy who played Eko, who didn’t really enjoy having to live in Hawaii.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Oasx posted:

The only one I remember was the guy who played Eko, who didn’t really enjoy having to live in Hawaii.

Like half the cast got DUIs while filming.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, but when is something planned, the character gets a dramatic death, a meaningful ending, stuff like that

Alex dies out of nowhere, literally without reason and than gets one or two "oh so sad he died" and that was it. He was one of the protagonists

edit: LOST killed a lot of characters for out of screen reasons and I dont remember any of them being so ridiculous as Alex death was

Ty Franck talked about it a bit during the aftershow, and the unceremonious death was partly about hitting a theme that was relevant in the books but hadn't happened all that much in the TV adaptation. Basically another merging of character stories like they did with Drummer.

The sum it up broadly: this is a war story, and in war death is common, sudden, and rarely gets the kind of foreshadowing that is expected with dramatic narrative beats. I don't hate the way it's been done, but I do think even one indicator in the last set of scenes would have been really helpful--like Alex getting a headache or dizzy or something--to make the beat land more effectively, but that would've involved reshoots so I get why it just didn't happen.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

swickles posted:

Like half the cast got DUIs while filming.

But only two of them were killed off, and there is nothing to indicate that they were killed because of the DUI’s.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

well yea drunks tend to survive crashes better because they don't brace for the impact

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
But since the entire cast was killed off at the end, was that preemptive DUI retribution?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Elias_Maluco posted:

If I recall correctly, the two killed off for getting DUIs just went into that bunker thing and then it exploded. Their deaths seemed random enough that I looked it up to figure out what the hell was going on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright, is been a while (like more than 15 years) since I watched Lost, so I might be misremembering things

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009

Mameluke posted:

You're not wrong, after all one of them is literally named Sakai

I totally missed that, and that is hilarious.

I do tend to fully side and empathize with the Belters since... basically the start of the show. The violence of Marco was inevitable, as Marco and the Belters have really good points and grievances that literally no one gives a poo poo about. Punch someone in the face (or lob rocks at their planet) and all of a sudden people are paying attention.

I wonder if Dawes and the rest of the OPA have a larger role in the books?

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009

gfarrell80 posted:

I need to read that. I've come across references to it in my other leftist reading, but definitely need to delve into it.

Yeah, agreed. Although she has definitely been actually a pretty key player in recent events. I could see her wanting to go through the gate again on the Rocci with the crew to see and report on the new protomolecule threat the MCRN rogue group are getting up to. She's faced certain death with the crew what, 3 times now?

“Wretched of the Earth is very good. TLDR; Fanon basically says violence is required to form an actual nation out of an oppressed and exploited colonized people as violence is how people learn to reassert their humanity and that their oppressors are not untouchable gods.

There is way more to it than that (and warns about charismatic demagogues coincidentally), but is absolutely uncompromising about the use of violence, and the book is explicit about not concerning itself about justifying itself to white European colonizing countries/people.

I think its a clearly an inspiration for Marcos and a huge chunk of the Belters in the show, even id the show seems to really really disagree with it. Which shouldn’t be surprising as the show’s morality is middle-class as hell.

EDIT: poo poo, sorry for the doublepost, I mostly lurk

Rhugor fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 10, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love random non-heroic deaths. It's such a trope that the more important a character is the more heroic and badass their death has to be. poo poo happens, life is fragile and unfair.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Baronjutter posted:

I love random non-heroic deaths. It's such a trope that the more important a character is the more heroic and badass their death has to be. poo poo happens, life is fragile and unfair.

A certain episode of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles comes to mind.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There's a S5 blooper reel up on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yuv-XbY2QU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sab Sabbington posted:

I do think even one indicator in the last set of scenes would have been really helpful--like Alex getting a headache or dizzy or something--to make the beat land more effectively
Bobbie mentioned the dangers of doing hard-g maneuvers, including getting a brain aneurysm. Then he did a hard-g maneuver and died of a brain aneurysm.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I sort of bought into the "weekly episodes fosters more discussion" but the discussion each week is mostly people forgetting everything that happened the previous episodes. Works fine for real simplistic shows like Mando where you can totally stare at your phone half the episode and still understand what's going on, but for something like the Expanse that can be very subtle and dense you really need to be paying full attention and have perfect memory of that one minor thing a character mentioned offhand 5 episodes ago which also only makes sense in relation to a thing that was mentioned 3 seasons ago. This season in particular really works better binged.

The show can always be a little better, and so can posters.

I think the discussion this time around was OK to good, it's just that a few noisy people made the noise-to-signal ratio seem worse than it was. People like different things and are fans of the same show for different reasons, and it makes sense that a season focused on character development and with slower pacing is going to grate on folks who loved the "compressed by necessity" early seasons (especially 3). The show also did its development differently this season, without the stakes and tension of S3: "Fallen World" did a great job developing Drummer and Ashford, for example, but with high stakes and high tension. It was a tour de force which started with the tension of each of these characters seeming likely to injure or kill the other to escape, and ending with the tension of each wanting to take the injury for the other. The stakes were more dispersed, drawn-out, and less clear and many of the character beats were between characters with long-standing relationships in the fiction who we knew little about.

As another great poster here mentioned, the "He would never give his life for you, but he would gladly let you give your life for him" at the core of the Naomi/Marco/Philip story was at the core of the whole season, and in that context, Alex giving his life for Naomi is completely in line with the rest of the season, even if it isn't telegraphed from the beginning. I can see why some people believe the subplot with the revenge-seeking UN Sec-Gen was tacked on as it doesn't seem in line with this overall theme, but I think that subplot resonates with what drives Marco. Look at Sec-Gen Paster when he's giving his speech and the crowd goes wild: it seems like the power and prestige go to his head and he's thinking in terms of what will get him the most acclaim and not what is strategically best for Earth. That's exactly the way Marco thinks. Marco and Avasarala get strongly contrasted this season.

I'm glad to see the show taking some chances and trusting their audience to assemble all the pieces, even if the execution could have been sharper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inferior Third Season posted:

Bobbie mentioned the dangers of doing hard-g maneuvers, including getting a brain aneurysm. Then he did a hard-g maneuver and died of a brain aneurysm.

That's true but I wish they hit it a little harder with more ADR or something. As it is they've done so many hard g maneuvers every other episode it kind of sounds like telling someone to drive safe on their way to work. Alex was hosed up on the razorback earlier in the season I guess.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

404notfound posted:

There are some good reactions, but first:

https://i.imgur.com/fZJvigr.mp4

Is this too big? It's halt the size on the site. I'll edit it out if it disturbs the forums.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

404notfound posted:

Heyyy finally some Miller in season 5

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I can't believe they killed Amos off like that. There was no leadup, no foreshadowing. He just slid into a hole after suplexing a dude and we never saw him again.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's war. People die.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

The Saddest Robot posted:

I can't believe they killed Amos off like that. There was no leadup, no foreshadowing. He just slid into a hole after suplexing a dude and we never saw him again.

That actual scene, when it happened, it caught me so off-guard. What a boss.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

404notfound posted:

Ahahah the best one is Amos going over the edge with Tiny.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

niethan posted:

Seeing him simultaneously on mad men and expanse when I watched both last year was pretty weird

It's been pretty weird for the mad men live watch thread as well, which just hit season 3

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I think the one thing they could've done to make Alex's death scene work better, without inviting the sex pest back for reshoots, would have been to use the same brain damage warning popup from when Bobbie and Avasarala tried to outrun a torpedo in the razorback.

Reuse the same graphic, colour in a little more red.
Maybe a flashing CONDITION CRITICAL text overlay or something.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

I actually think this is part of the point with Marco. Marco cares about Marco, and nothing else.

For all his big talk Marco is a fake

I dunno, I think once you drop some rocks on a planet and kill several million people you become pretty non-fake. If there were scenes showing Marco enjoying luxuries or setting up a private harem, or noting luxuries others are living in and expressing a desire for it, maybe. But Marco seems like a pretty drat committed ideologue. And I say again, if he was doing it just for himself, he probably wouldn't have investigated setting up Belter agricultural production to make sure his new Belt would be sustainable and fed. On the Pella he rejects the Martian rations and says they'll restock at first opportunity with Belter food, which is portrayed as frugal.

Rhugor posted:

Wretched of the Earth is very good. TLDR; Fanon basically says violence is required to form an actual nation out of an oppressed and exploited colonized people as violence is how people learn to reassert their humanity and that their oppressors are not untouchable gods.

There is way more to it than that (and warns about charismatic demagogues coincidentally), but is absolutely uncompromising about the use of violence, and the book is explicit about not concerning itself about justifying itself to white European colonizing countries/people.

I think its a clearly an inspiration for Marcos and a huge chunk of the Belters in the show, even id the show seems to really really disagree with it. Which shouldn't be surprising as the show's morality is middle-class as hell.

Thumbs up, agreed.

Baronjutter posted:

Agreed. The medic in season 1 got a non-heroic death. Fred got a pretty non-heroic death. Both were great. Alex's death was fine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gfarrell80 posted:

Agreed. The medic in season 1 got a non-heroic death. Fred got a pretty non-heroic death. Both were great. Alex's death was fine.

Maneo was a heroic death given what motivated him to do it IMO

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

404notfound posted:

i can't believe they cut miller from the moon plot

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nail Rat posted:

To be fair, Amos has 100% been on Holden's side since he told Miller to gently caress off early in season 2, and that only got stronger. There hasn't been much tension between the crew since Naomi came back in late season 3. And none after the Donnager besides the Naomi thing(aside from that very brief and weird Amos and Cortezar bromance, and the incident Amos talked about in the airlock). Really the crew is a family and has been.

Amos didn't bromance Cortezar: he wanted to know if the procedure that turned Cortezar into a psychopath could be reversed because Amos wants a conscience of his own, rather than constantly borrowing Holden's.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Amos didn't bromance Cortezar: he wanted to know if the procedure that turned Cortezar into a psychopath could be reversed because Amos wants a conscience of his own, rather than constantly borrowing Holden's.

I think it was just entirely because Amos recognized Cortezar as a sociopath/psychopath, and Amos knew how to push his buttons and thought he could get some info. It wasn't anything about Amos being curious about the procedure with respect to himself.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 11, 2021

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

gfarrell80 posted:

I think it was just entirely because Amos recognized Cortezar as a sociopath/psychopath, and Amos knew how to push his buttons and thought he could get some info. It wasn't anything about Amos being curious about the procedure with respect to himself.

I got the feeling that even Amos was creeped out by the dude. like, Amos is a sociopath, yeah sure, but not that much of a sociopath

edit: like, Amos might do a genocide if he could get something out of it, but Cortezar would do it just to see what happened, you know?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I’m rewatching season 1 now and in episode 4 Avasarala is on the roof when her grandson comes up and lays next to her and they start discussing the meteorites and it’s some serious foreshadowing.

Kid ends up saying no one can throw an asteroid big enough like the ones that killed the dinosaurs. Just you wait kid. :allears:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anita Dickinme posted:

So I’m rewatching season 1 now and in episode 4 Avasarala is on the roof when her grandson comes up and lays next to her and they start discussing the meteorites and it’s some serious foreshadowing.

Kid ends up saying no one can throw an asteroid big enough like the ones that killed the dinosaurs. Just you wait kid. :allears:

All the book-readers were giggling at that line, amazed that the show would foreshadow something that wouldn't be happening for another four seasons. One of the advantages of having so much material ready to adapt is that the writers (which does in fact include the actual book authors) can move things around to make a stronger narrative, or just to leave little easter eggs here and there

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

egg tats posted:

I got the feeling that even Amos was creeped out by the dude. like, Amos is a sociopath, yeah sure, but not that much of a sociopath

edit: like, Amos might do a genocide if he could get something out of it, but Cortezar would do it just to see what happened, you know?

Amos doesn't get creeped out. He recognized a type, and knew he knew how to work him. Amos would never do a genocide.

What was interesting about that conversation was it showed a little bit of Cortezar's background. A mother suffering medical conditions in poverty. Cortezar obviously was affected by it, despite his claim that he didn't care.

Capitalism is shown as corrupting all kinds of stuff in the show. It corrupts cops (private cops on Ceres), politicians (Avasarala talking about plum jobs in the private sector), it turns belters on each other (the Ceres OPA goons that helped the private contractors lock down Eros belters for extra pay, the OPA that 'volunteered' for the raid on the spin station for extra hazard pay), Mao is the ultra-capitalist that uses money to pursue his own private agenda and manipulate governments. Individual actors trying to come out on top with cash are what bring down Mars in seasons 4-5.

But scientists are depicted interestingly. Consider Prax, Okeye, Dr. Strickland, Dresden, and Cortezar.

Prax and Okeye are dedicated professionals with a moral compass, going good and generally above any kind of personal material interests.

Strickland and Dresden are without empathy, but they don't appear to be motivated by materialism or wealth. They're pretty strictly mad scientists, but genuinely trying to defend and strengthen humanity's chances of survival, not enrich themselves.

Cortezar though - the exchange with Amos is interesting. It does show that lower-class conditions (being horribly affected by a medically suffering mother) affected him in a way that may have made him reach for a Faustian bargain.

anyhow... more ramblings...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

bou posted:

There are some good reactions, but first:

https://i.imgur.com/fZJvigr.mp4

Is this too big? It's halt the size on the site. I'll edit it out if it disturbs the forums.

Outstanding alternate ending

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If he had caught himself and pulled himself back up, do you think they would have used that take?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's so weird that they choreographed a kick to the balls and a suplex into a fight scene. Classic WWF.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

gfarrell80 posted:

Alex's death was fine.

This is absolutely ridiculous, honestly. I'm not even a big fan of the character but people going "nah it was good, actually" just grates on me.

The absolutely awful ADR like his line "that was a helluva ride" happening offscreen or Avasaralas dubbed in lines to Bobbi etc. The character dying in a freeze screen with CGI blood. The entire crew, which was supposed to be like a family, dismissing him like some rando

It was awful and very very obviously a rushjob

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Amos and Cortazar also leads to the amazing line out of left field "You ever talk to a pedophile?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Amos would do a genocide if he thought most of the people would would die were bad, that he needed to do it in order to prevent a bad thing happening, and if a few innocent people died along the way he'd regret it a bit but if he couldn't see a way to save them it wouldn't stop him pushing the button.

e: but if Holden or Naomi said 'don't do the genocide' he would not do the genocide without argument.