Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Honestly as long as you’ve not got cables at risk of touching a moving fan you’re all good. There’s only so much real airflow path and luckily plenty of space around it for cables to go.

e: I’m also not super sure how viable bundling the 24-pin behind the GPU is with most cards, barely got away with it with the 3080 FE.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So my final package of parts came for my Ncase M1 build today. Fittings, quick disconnects, and some stuff to sleeve my pump cables, and a few things for the liquid metal job on my GPU. I finished the sleeving and ugh... it looks better than it did, but I know it could be better. I'll chalk it up as this being my first time sleeving cables.

Update: Measure twice, cut once. Ordered an XSPC TX240 to fix the problem, but until that gets here (Feb 23-Mar 2) it's gonna be a hotrod.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 9, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

denereal visease posted:

Not really, but it's very case specific. Depending on which case and what you want to put in it, the order of operations could become important. Something like my NCase M1 has a different build process than a case with a more standard layout like the NZXT H210.

Trying real hard not to, but I don't love the SF750's cable bulk hanging out above the 3080's pass-through cooler. Talking myself down to a sleeved 24-pin and unsleeved PCIE power cables but it's still spenno.

Another one because the lighting was good...

need more build pics itt

Hey, what did your final parts list end up being? I presume you have a 120mm fan under the heat sink, and is your rear fan running as intake or exhaust?

My M1 has shipped so I'm starting to put together a finalized parts list.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

The full list is here, but there are plenty of extra niceties: low-pro wifi antennas, spendy thermal pads, rear M.2 heatsink, etc. I replaced the chipset thermal pad on the X570, then went nuts and replaced both M.2 thermal pads as well (huge temp drops on both SSDs). Not everything on the list is a Hivemind Sweet Spot Cost Optimized Best-in-Slot choice if that matters to you (doesn't matter to me).

The 120mm NF-F12 is under the heatsink exhausting air out of the case with the 2x NF-A12x15s; these are running off two daisy-chained y-splitters. The rear 92mm fan is an intake with a long stepdown period (25 sec); I'm getting better temps with intake vs exhaust.

Let me know if you have any other questions. CPU averages just under 80*C and the GPU hangs out around mid-60s in extended Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay at 1440p Ultra+RT Psycho; FPS is mid 60s to low 70s on average.

e: forgot these, you need 2 sets

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 9, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

Not everything on the list is a Hivemind Sweet Spot Cost Optimized Best-in-Slot choice if that matters to you (doesn't matter to me).

Looks pretty sweet to me

Did you notice any change in chipset temps?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, that is WAY more PC than I'm aiming for, although I have no real fear of spending money when it's worthwhile.

Here's where I currently am:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($228.86 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua A9x14 29.72 CFM 92 mm Fan ($15.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($76.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $1099.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-09 16:28 EST-0500

Note: the 3060ti is a placeholder until the 3060 is released. I game at 1080 and tend to buy games after they're a few years old, and I think the 3060 is going to be more than adequate for my own needs.

I was going to go with 2 bottom intake fans, then a side intake in the front, the U9S blowing front to back, and the rear fan set to exhaust. Fitting a C14S feels like a huge pita to me, and since I'll likely undervolt the CPU to reduce heat/noise, I feel like the U9S will be more than adequate for me.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 9, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I just looked at how much I've spent on this build in my budget and... I guess I have no self control or just overrun budgets like the loving Pentagon.

Anyway, estimated delivery on my TX240 is Feburary 20th, so here's hoping I get this thing actually finished by the end of the month.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

RE:budgets, I was patient enough to spread out my purchases over 4-6 months, upgrading incrementally, and got lucky to avoid scalpers/scarcity.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Looks pretty sweet to me
Cheers, it's a sick ride; looking forward to getting many good years out of it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Did you notice any change in chipset temps?
Replacing the chipset thermal pad knocked like 6-8*C off peak chipset temps under gaming loads. Tearing down a motherboard for the first time was definitely engaging. If it's something you're considering, the bladed end of this tool was perfect for popping off the ribbon cable.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Here's where I currently am:
The U9S should be fine for the 3600, we have one on a 3700X and it's doing well; the C14S is more of a pain in the rear end to mount.

Fan config seems fine; I noticed that you listed an A9x14 but you can definitely fit the full size 25mm thick NF-A9 at the back of the case.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'll make sure to change that. Probably a victim of PCPartPicker's fit compatibility.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
OK, maybe an idiot question here (and maybe for the building thread) as I'm being a bit precious since I moved heaven and earth to get all my PC bits. I'm currently based in the UK but got a buddy to send me the the PSU from the States.

It's a Coolermaster V850w SFX, which doesn't come with a power lead. Will using my old PCs power cable (says 10A, 250V on it) work all good? I've been trying to figure this out and getting some mixed results from my Google searches so thought I'd ask here. If it helps, here's my current parts list:

NR200
Ryzen 5900X
Palit Gamerock 3080
2X 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 Ram
Aorus B550i Pro AX
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem but just wanted a second opinion as I've waited a long time for these components and don't want to screw things up by using a dud power cable!

Edit:

Thanks for answering this below!

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 10, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

frytechnician posted:

It's a Coolermaster V850w SFX, which doesn't come with a power lead. Will using my old PCs power cable (says 10A, 250V on it) work all good? I've been trying to figure this out and getting some mixed results from my Google searches so thought I'd ask here. If it helps, here's my current parts list:

Looking at the specifications on Coolermaster's website, this is the relevant information:

INPUT VOLTAGE
90-264V
INPUT CURRENT
10-6A
INPUT FREQUENCY
47-63Hz

You're fine.

US outlets provide 120V @ 60Hz, British ones 240V @ 50Hz.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

Replacing the chipset thermal pad knocked like 6-8*C off peak chipset temps under gaming loads. Tearing down a motherboard for the first time was definitely engaging. If it's something you're considering, the bladed end of this tool was perfect for popping off the ribbon cable.

I might do this on an x570 board destined for a streacom da2, a beautiful hotbox. That tool is useful thnx. I uh, have broken chipset fan cables before trying to remove them :doh:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Cross posting from the water cooling thread.

Has anyone here successfully built a custom loop for the NR200P? Looking for recommendations or if it's a waste of time

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Has anyone here successfully built a custom loop for the NR200P? Looking for recommendations or if it's a waste of time

Since it's basically an upscaled M1, the same basic rules apply. I'm pretty happy with how mine has turned out (even if I need to wait for the smaller radiator to get here). It's certainly more difficult than building in a traditional mid tower or larger since the size constraints are very unforgiving.

The EK slim is hotrodding out the side because the 28mm is just slightly too large to fit under the GPU water block with the fans mounted. With the extra 7mm of clearance from the TX240 I ordered, I can shove everything inside and still have a front IO.

So I'd say go for it. It's a fun project, if a bit complex. I'm sure it helps to know what you're doing, but this was my first attempt at a custom loop so there you go.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

I wrote up quite a bit in my Evernote relating to builds, suggestions, requirements for watercooling: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s19/sh/09d70781-5cfb-4a7b-0a70-ab13721cadb0/7f08259c2a9e6da624f5aa37691d00c5

Also check out Machines & More YouTube (he has some special videos on AIO coolers, air coolers, custom loops): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJpP7vHG-YImXkc5TZqmbKg

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

My hot take is waste of time. Since cpus and gpus don’t leave much performance on the table these days, you open loop for aesthetics or silence. You don’t have enough room for a true silent build (IMO) in a sff and if you want to see it you give up a ton of radiator space. Save the 600+ dollars you’ll spend on a full custom loop and buy better components or a monitor or something

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Canna Happy posted:

My hot take is waste of time. Since cpus and gpus don’t leave much performance on the table these days, you open loop for aesthetics or silence. You don’t have enough room for a true silent build (IMO) in a sff and if you want to see it you give up a ton of radiator space. Save the 600+ dollars you’ll spend on a full custom loop and buy better components or a monitor or something

I mean the only thing I can do better in my build atm is upgrading from a 1080Ti which is impossible right now due to the chip shortage.

It would be 100% for aesthetics tbh

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ok I've given up on the custom loop idea and gonna try go for quiet as possible

Currently I'm running:

NR200P
Ryzen 3900X
Scythe Fuma2 /w stock fans
2 top mounted stock fans from the 200P

What's the best setup here, currently the processor still idles around 50C, undervolting it brings it down to like 38-40C when doing basic day to day stuff.

Would it be worth swapping out the stock scythe & case fans for some noctua nf-s12b redux or arctic P12s and possibly adding 2 smaller fans on the base below the gpu?

E. Doesn't appear adding fans under the GPU help at all with thermals or noise so won't be doing that

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 12, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Canna Happy posted:

I'll offer the counterpoint: No, you won't get a truly silent build, but only a fanless system will be truly silent anyway (and even then the specter of coil whine haunts your build). You will however minimize your noise if you do things right. Even in the current hotrod configuration, my Ncase M1 is considerably quieter with better temperatures under load than it was with even an AIO installed. I expect the difference to come out in the wash when I actually put the radiator inside the chassis (I'm expecting my TX240 to arrive tomorrow). I can happily play demanding games at full graphics with the fans spinning under 1200RPM and still have comfortable temperatures on the CPU and GPU.

You can't see any of this, of course, since there's no tempered glass, but the aesthetic of the build is more professional and less xXxgameRGBxXx anyway.

Aesthetics, Noise, Temperature. Pick two.

Optimizing for any of these won't leave much cash in your wallet, so only go down this path if you're comfortable paying the price. Performance > Cooling > Aesthetics. Only when you've satisfied your first requirement should you spend on the next.

If you want to try and be cheap about it, you could water cool the GPU only. It's going to be the hottest and loudest thing in your case and if you can put that heat in a larger thermal mass with more surface area and quieter fans, you'll have a good life.

CyberPingu posted:

Currently I'm running:

NR200P
Ryzen 3900X

What's the best setup here, currently the processor still idles around 50C, undervolting it brings it down to like 38-40C when doing basic day to day stuff.

Would it be worth swapping out the stock scythe & case fans for some noctua nf-s12b redux or arctic P12s and possibly adding 2 smaller fans on the base below the gpu?

E. Doesn't appear adding fans under the GPU help at all with thermals or noise so won't be doing that

Undervolt the GPU. See the OptimumTech video on undervolting.

I assume you're still set up like this:

edit: For reference, here's an OptimumTech video on custom looping the NR200P. He uses soft tubing, but the difference between soft and hard tube here is basically cost and frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gipVOZ2SI

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 12, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Undervolt the GPU. See the OptimumTech video on undervolting.

I assume you're still set up like this:

edit: For reference, here's an OptimumTech video on custom looping the NR200P. He uses soft tubing, but the difference between soft and hard tube here is basically cost and frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gipVOZ2SI

What would undervolting the GPU do?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

CyberPingu posted:

Currently I'm running:

NR200P
Ryzen 3900X

What about getting an AIO for the CPU?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kunabomber posted:

What about getting an AIO for the CPU?

I have a spare corsair hydro H100i sitting unused actually. I might give it a bash but I'm not 100% sold on side mounting in that case tbh.

Im gonna look at other case fans as the ones that come with the NR200p aren't the best and so far the consensus is to replace them.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah, I somehow didn't catch that it's an NR200P. I have a non-TG NR200 so side mounting an AIO would work pretty well with mine.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kunabomber posted:

Ah, I somehow didn't catch that it's an NR200P. I have a non-TG NR200 so side mounting an AIO would work pretty well with mine.

Atm Im using the mesh panel as you can't use the TG with the scythe.

What fan arrangement do you have with an AIO?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Haven't gotten an AIO yet, to be clear. But the plan I have going right now is side-mount AIO as intake, and have top fans as exhaust. I just noticed that my CPU fan is the loudest item in my case during normal use.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kunabomber posted:

Haven't gotten an AIO yet, to be clear. But the plan I have going right now is side-mount AIO as intake, and have top fans as exhaust. I just noticed that my CPU fan is the loudest item in my case during normal use.

Yeah that seems to be the optimal layout.

AIO side as intake, bottom mounted as intake too and then exhaust on top

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Urgh, NF-A12s are sold out everywhere.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CyberPingu posted:

Atm Im using the mesh panel as you can't use the TG with the scythe.

Fits fine for me.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Fits fine for me.

Yeah I rechecked and was wrong, for some reason I thought it didn't clear.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Yep. I’m in the same boat. Need 2 more, but I think I can get by without them to start.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yep. I’m in the same boat. Need 2 more, but I think I can get by without them to start.

Lots of UK places have them expected stock for end of Feb so I guess it's not too bad.

At least not as bad as GPUs anyway

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

What would undervolting the GPU do?

Less heat from the GPU getting dumped into the case, lowering the ambient temperature around the CPU heatsink and thus improving performance.

It's the hottest thing in there by a country mile, so less heat from it should also help other things run cooler. (And save on your power bill.)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
my nr200 only came with 4 screws for the top-mounted case fans. I have one installed, and I'd like to add an additional fan, but the standard screws that came with it don't seem to work with the nr200's push-pin system. where can I get some?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Head Bee Guy posted:

my nr200 only came with 4 screws for the top-mounted case fans. I have one installed, and I'd like to add an additional fan, but the standard screws that came with it don't seem to work with the nr200's push-pin system. where can I get some?

You aren’t using the push pin system for your top fan already? I have my two top mounted fans using them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For those looking for 12x25’s, consider a 5 pack of Arctic P12’s for the same price as one Noctua fan. The daisychaining is super useful, and as long as you keep it away from 1000rpm they’re quiet and very effective.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
nevermind.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

B-Mac posted:

You aren’t using the push pin system for your top fan already? I have my two top mounted fans using them.

The box only came with 4 pins

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Many Noctuas are OOS. I think I managed to pick up some of the last 12x15s that Amazon had

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Head Bee Guy posted:

The box only came with 4 pins

That’s kind of lovely of cooler master to only include one 4 pin bracket for the top fan area, the NR200P comes with two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
My NR200 non P came with 8