Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Didn't she get assaulted by the stunt coordinator in True Lies too?

Yup, and was fired for speaking out against the sexual harassment on Bull! in a move so egregious they paid her 9 million dollars in the settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It's an evasive non answer. "I stand with all victims of abuse" sounds pretty hollow when you won't back up the accounts of your costars.

I didn’t read it like that - I read it as in “I don’t have an account to give but I believe the women who have stepped forward.” And even then the reason she doesn’t have an account to give doesn’t mean nothing happened to her, it could mean she just doesn’t want to talk about it right now.

Even then, it actually would be believable if Whedon was perfectly fine with her but treated her co-stars like poo poo - we’ve seen this kind of behavior before from abusers, who are exploiting the power dynamics of the workplace and think they can’t “get away” with hurting the a-listers the same way they can those with lesser billing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did Ray Fisher say anything specific about Zach Snyder on Justice League? Has Zach Snyder said anything about Ray Fisher?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Did Ray Fisher say anything specific about Zach Snyder on Justice League? Has Zach Snyder said anything about Ray Fisher?

Nothing about the problems Ray has had with WB or Whedon, mostly this:

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/stat...05%2Fframe.html

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/stat...05%2Fframe.html

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
E: Wrong thread. Sorry everyone.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 10, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

I didn’t read it like that - I read it as in “I don’t have an account to give but I believe the women who have stepped forward.” And even then the reason she doesn’t have an account to give doesn’t mean nothing happened to her, it could mean she just doesn’t want to talk about it right now.

Even then, it actually would be believable if Whedon was perfectly fine with her but treated her co-stars like poo poo - we’ve seen this kind of behavior before from abusers, who are exploiting the power dynamics of the workplace and think they can’t “get away” with hurting the a-listers the same way they can those with lesser billing.

Ellen is pretty notorious for this too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whedon being a confirmed piece of poo poo is possibly the least surprising thing since Brock Lesnar failing a steroid test.

you know someone's jacked when they're even jacked in a t-shirt. Good god.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy was a serial predator and it turned out he'd been doing it to a lot of people for a long time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tomtrek posted:

Michelle Trachtenberg, who was obviously a teenager while she was on Buffy, responded to SMG's statement in a way that implies Joss' behaviour with even her was creepy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLH9ce-ByTV/

Funny that Lydia Hearst responded considering she’s married to Chris Hardwick

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, and if I remember correctly, from what she said he staged the fall that broke her ribs deliberately as a message he could kill her if he wanted to and make it look like an accident.

For Charisma Carpenter, it's generally been known for years how much Whedon treated her like poo poo, but I don't think she's ever gone into this kind of detail before. And with what Michelle Trachtenberg said...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Yes, and if I remember correctly, from what she said he staged the fall that broke her ribs deliberately as a message he could kill her if he wanted to and make it look like an accident.

For Charisma Carpenter, it's generally been known for years how much Whedon treated her like poo poo, but I don't think she's ever gone into this kind of detail before. And with what Michelle Trachtenberg said...

Yeah, it's sadly been known for a while if not the specifics, but Michelle Trachtenberg saying that is loving horrifying.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Whedon and his hacky, terrible writing were as late as 2015 at the very top of the movie industry, which means he had no end of allies and people whose paychecks relied on them looking the other way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I haven't been paying attention to anything going on with the Justice League movie, but Ray Fisher seems like a cool dude and I hope good things happen to him.

https://people.com/movies/ray-fisher-says-hes-forever-grateful-to-charisma-carpenter-for-speaking-out-against-joss-whedon/

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

A double post. Edit.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 11, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

As one creative online put, Now hopefully (if they want it) these actors who had to deal with Whedon will now get jobs doing cool poo poo. That's the real way of actually paying it forward and standing in solidarity with them.

I remember in the 90's there was some weird fan fighting between Buffy and B5 (I think both were up for an Emmy the same year? Or maybe I'm just remembering a fight I had with a huge Whedon fan in the early 2000's?) and I argued that b5 had better feminist writing, which made the Buffy fan furious.

Good to see my instincts were right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The horrible thing is there's still a huge fan base of women for whom Buffy was a very, very important to when they were very young.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

About the Ray Fisher thing, I believe him 100% but I also wonder why his allegations against Whedon have been so vague. Maybe he's trying to protect the other victims. But it leaves outsiders guessing as to what actually happened.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

edit: double post

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 11, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Legality can’t say poo poo. Most movies make you sign stuff so you can’t talk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Legality can’t say poo poo. Most movies make you sign stuff so you can’t talk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

About the Ray Fisher thing, I believe him 100% but I also wonder why his allegations against Whedon have been so vague. Maybe he's trying to protect the other victims. But it leaves outsiders guessing as to what actually happened.

Ray Fisher and Charisma Carpenters accusations aren't exactly vague. Other victims not wanting to get into the specifics of their abuse is nothing new. Similar thing happened with Cosby and Weinstein (though Whedon is not accused of anything as bad as Cosby or Weinstein) with a couple people willing to get into specifics and a bunch of people saying "I believe them, because he was bad with me" without getting into to more detail, and eventually more and more people willing to go on the record with specific details.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The horrible thing is there's still a huge fan base of women for whom Buffy was a very, very important to when they were very young.

Between Harry Potter and Buffy it has been a fuckin' awful generation for that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Buffy wasn’t just a show for girls, it was also some of the best queer representation on TV for like that whole decade. It’s shlocky and campy and quippy but it’s also a really big show for a lot of people, because it was both the first really mainstream fantasy/action drama that allowed nerds to be mainstream, and also the reverse was true where normies could watch it because it was like a high school teen drama that happened to have vampires.

There are many awesome episodes that Whedon has nothing to do with

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think im just misreading her tone. The "i stand with" part just reminded me of what a lot of abusers say when they are initially accused and it soured my reaction to her statement.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I think im just misreading her tone. The "i stand with" part just reminded me of what a lot of abusers say when they are initially accused and it soured my reaction to her statement.

There's a ton of phrases that have been ruined by lovely people and that is absolutely one of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I definitely let it color my thoughts. I retract my previous comments. Let Gellar do her thing her way.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"I don't want to forever be associated with Joss Whedon" reads, to me, like "leave me out of this", but I won't judge her for that. For all we know, she has her own horrible story about Whedon that she's not ready to talk about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately in these cases a lot of people hedge their bets or try not to get involved even as victims because there's no way to tell how it's going to turn out, especially given some high profile abusers have had the full on circle-the-wagons treatment while their accusers become public enemies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rose McGowan was literally stalked by Ex-Mossad agents, as has been proven in court, and her reputation is still "paranoid bitch."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Rose McGowan was literally stalked by Ex-Mossad agents, as has been proven in court, and her reputation is still "paranoid bitch."

And that got played as a joke on Kimmy Schmidt.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

And that got played as a joke on Kimmy Schmidt.

If there's one quality I would associate with Tina Fey it's "yay feminism sike lol" and also 100% willing to mock or joke about female celebrities being crazy bitches.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This feels very trite, now, but when I first watched 30 Rock in my mid 20’s, I was shocked at A) how often they would joke about rape and B) how often the jokes were being made by women and C) how often those jokes were written by women to be delivered by women.

So then I went back and did a deep dive because I was curious and bored, and my personal findings were that over the course of the show, if a man makes a joke about rape, it was always about some off-screen 3rd party being assaulted, but when the women made a joke about it, it was almost always at their own expense, either as the victim or the assailant.

Tina Fay and Jane Krakowski absolutely LOVE to joke about getting raped, or about raping people.

But then you have Unbreakable Kimmy Shmidt, which seemingly plays off the obvious and deeply layered implications of sexual assault and grooming off in the show as something that just gets completely swept under the rug and ignored by the main character and only lightly side-eyed by other characters. It really makes me wonder what’s going on behind those dorky glasses on Fey’s face sometimes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can tell you what's going on behind those glasses

"Hey you crazy bitches quit whining other people have dealt with the same and managed to succeed. I made it to the top so I don't want to hear about how sad you are a casting director groped you"

It's a shame that Brie Larson got maligned as the poster child for "toxic white feminism" because Tina Fey is almost every negative element of it all in one package.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I mean Tina Fey received trauma at a young age when she got her face slashed by some nut. The scar is a lot more obvious on Blu-Ray/HD. Same w John Hamm’s vitiligo. I would expect that probably colors her worldview in some way.

Also, the Britney Spears documentary should be getting discussed in here more. What she went through at the hands of people like Diane Sawyer, Matt Lauer, or any number of adults who were over the line. Ugh.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The britney doc is having the positive benefit of everyone linking the literal hours of Jay Leno clips that illustrate how much of a hosed up and sexist scumbag he was every night of the week for decades. He made his entire career in the 90's out of calling victims sluts, apparently, and its weird because he was already off of TV mostly by the time I was old enough to start watching late nigt shows, so I really had no idea that this was the comedy everyone was tuning in for ever night.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Boywhiz88 posted:

I mean Tina Fey received trauma at a young age when she got her face slashed by some nut. The scar is a lot more obvious on Blu-Ray/HD. Same w John Hamm’s vitiligo. I would expect that probably colors her worldview in some way.

Also, the Britney Spears documentary should be getting discussed in here more. What she went through at the hands of people like Diane Sawyer, Matt Lauer, or any number of adults who were over the line. Ugh.

Huh I had seen her mentioned a lot on social media yet but not with very much context, I didn't even realize there was a new documentary. Is it on Netflix?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hulu.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, it’s from NYT on Hulu. It’s based around examining the conservatorship that’s existed for a decade+ that came out of a time in her life when she had endured years of just awfulness and finally hit a breaking point.

Just one of those things that I’m grateful there’s more discussion and examination around the topics it brings up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chris Crocker was right all along.