Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Philly doesn't even sing the Star Spangled Banner but God Bless America which is was a stupid song about how God apparently put mountains and stuff in America specifically for white people sung by an old racist lady.

This was actually at least a cool tradition and only done for important games, so it at least was team related and made you feel a part of the team. I loved it, which made it all the more crushing when it came out that Kate Smith was racist. They were absolutely right to stop it, but rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this a good idea in one of the country's biggest COVID hotbeds?

I mean, Florida and Texas already allow it, so yeah. But lets keep giving poo poo to the league for not keeping the players isolated from this thing.

No no, it's cool, we're only letting in another 2k people to the building. I'm sure this won't go wrong (or won't show up as having gone wrong).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So far covid has roughly a 114% transmission rate during NHL games and half the league is shut down as a result. Other than money, why does anyone think now is the time to start throwing more people in the mix?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

So far covid has roughly a 114% transmission rate during NHL games and half the league is shut down as a result. Other than money, why does anyone think now is the time to start throwing more people in the mix?

money is the only reason

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Philly doesn't even sing the Star Spangled Banner but God Bless America which is was a stupid song about how God apparently put mountains and stuff in America specifically for white people sung by an old racist lady.

I don't care much for God Bless America, but it's still a better song than the SSB

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hope Andrew Cuomo gets dick cancer

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
O' Canada sucks too

National anthems suck

Also it seems like you should be able to spread 2000 people around an arena with a mask requirement and do it safely but I'm sure they'll gently caress it up somehow like having all 2000 people crowding around a single concession vendor and then eating with their masks off

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

O' Canada sucks too

National anthems suck

Also it seems like you should be able to spread 2000 people around an arena with a mask requirement and do it safely but I'm sure they'll gently caress it up somehow like having all 2000 people crowding around a single concession vendor and then eating with their masks off

Just getting in and out and around MSG is tight as hell. Even with reduced capacity this is a deeply stupid thing for Deblasio and Cuomo to let happen.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1359631183076876292
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359631335825027079
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359631687009898496
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1359632059799646215

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Let's bring fans in for a game for the only 2 teams still standing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Do the UEFA Champions league thing and make your own NHL anthem and just play that for everyone. Leave out the UEFA bribery though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We already have Hockey Scores.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

This is interesting, as Victor Rask was just taken off the list yesterday.

E: And at least one on the taxi squad per Michael Russo.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Guess they’re going to have to put the glass back behind the benches.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's honestly super offensive that these rich rear end owners who can absorb all covid-related losses and still have more money than any of us will ever see in our lifetimes still insist on allowing partial seating in their arenas just so they can squeeze out a few extra bucks and they're willing to risk it even though the danger is real for the fans that go.

gently caress rich people basically

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Sure, kill all billionaires but I just can't imagine needing to see live sports badly enough to risk it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
They leaked the amounts that each NHL franchise was accepting from the military to do patriotism ceremonies / military recruiting propaganda at NHL games, and the Stars were taking as much as like the next 3 organizations combined.

the Stars are the worst :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sad part is they clearly know how to do it right, because we got the meticulously executed playoffs over the summer and everyone applauded the NHL for pulling it off.

And now there's.. this.

It would have been a less offensive solution to use good old fashioned corruption to steal vaccines for all the players and delay the season start until April.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

The sad part is they clearly know how to do it right, because we got the meticulously executed playoffs over the summer and everyone applauded the NHL for pulling it off.

And now there's.. this.

It would have been a less offensive solution to use good old fashioned corruption to steal vaccines for all the players and delay the season start until April.

There's no way the players were going to agree to doing a bubble for an entire season.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My idea was to do a 20 game bubble sprint over the course of two months. Take a month off. Another 20 game bubble sprint. Take a week off, then a playoff bubble.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the players refused to do it again, and the owners never would have agreed to it anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know another bubble would never work, that's not the point.

The point is that's what it took to prevent spreading infections. So they decided to ignore that and came up with what we have now, where every team is going to spend the last month trying to complete makeup games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

Sure, kill all billionaires but I just can't imagine needing to see live sports badly enough to risk it.

yeah people that actually go are being pretty dumb too of course.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I know another bubble would never work, that's not the point.

The point is that's what it took to prevent spreading infections. So they decided to ignore that and came up with what we have now, where every team is going to spend the last month trying to complete makeup games.

:capitalism:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

yeah people that actually go are being pretty dumb too of course.

In all the games from arenas that are open, each one has had someone take off their mask to talk to someone not in their group. I'm sure these people who can barely keep their masks on to yell to each other are perfectly wearing masks and keeping themselves save from infection before going to these games where they all sit and yell in proximity for a couple hours at a time.

I'd give the league a better grade for covid policy, but you're still hosting people inside the building for hours at a time, so they can just gently caress off. I'm sick of being stuck at home constantly and this makes it worse.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Canadian teams have it much better with Covid. But that's not surprising seeing how the US has handled the situation lol

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1359661375618957312

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
well what the gently caress am I supposed to do with my wife on valentines day now

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Starsfan posted:

They leaked the amounts that each NHL franchise was accepting from the military to do patriotism ceremonies / military recruiting propaganda at NHL games, and the Stars were taking as much as like the next 3 organizations combined.

the Stars are the worst :(

the stars owner is a canadian who lives in vancouver and stays at hotels when he visits dallas. the ra ra america stuff is all cynical marketing

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Do they still play Pantera songs all the time?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^^ yes every time they score a goal! and when they come out onto the ice for the start of periods!

the talent deficit posted:

the stars owner is a canadian who lives in vancouver and stays at hotels when he visits dallas. the ra ra america stuff is all cynical marketing

Yeah I'm well aware of Gaglardi, the only thing i find endearing about him is how obviously butthurt he still is about being frozen out of purchasing the Canucks by the Aquilinis

like I'm reasonably certain the dude pays his team bounties for wins over the Canucks.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 11, 2021

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
They should just play the Russian national anthem before every game because it sounds so evil I love it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1359693934478434304

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

goalie said gently caress it and left

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Habs status: stupid, ugly, and bad at hockey

everything is right in the world

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs win :siren:

Andersen was rough and Price was solid in the first period and then... the opposite was true for the rest of the game

Nice to see Mikheyev finally score but I still feel like he hasn’t gotten his touch back since the injury

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

he wasn't looking at the scoreboard
https://twitter.com/FlutoShinzawa/status/1359698181789863940

https://twitter.com/FlutoShinzawa/status/1359699487602528256

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did one of the refs actually have an arm up? One of the clips with Rask you can kind of lipread that he thought there was a penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
man this is just not the rangers year luck wise
in a lot of ways they're playing better hockey than last year but poo poo just isn't going in for them

oh well