Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tulip posted:

Recently heard somebody ask "so why the gently caress did you never get an Elkor with shoulder miniguns as a playable character" and it just...made me so mad about all the squandered opportunities in ME.

volus in a giant gently caress-off suit of power armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jazerus posted:

volus in a giant gently caress-off suit of power armor

BIOTIC GOD

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

We at least got playable Volus in multiplayer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's sad/hilarious they the Z-Team BioWare punished with making Andromeda while everyone else crunched to the point of mental collapse to try and make Anthem just cut the Elcor, Volus, Hanar, Drell, and Quarians out of the game completely because :effort: and were going to add them in as DLC but EA killed it when it was clear the game was a flop.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
There should have been playable Hanar with like 6 guns in all the tentacles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The drell weren't exactly cut so much as they never were in the games much in the first place. Which makes sense seeing as how they're nearly extinct after the death of their homeworld and their new world being too wet.

The Elcor, Volus, and Hanar never seemed like they were really taken seriously as important parts of the galaxy by the writers. Especially the Volus.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The drell weren't exactly cut so much as they never were in the games much in the first place. Which makes sense seeing as how they're nearly extinct after the death of their homeworld and their new world being too wet.

The Elcor, Volus, and Hanar never seemed like they were really taken seriously as important parts of the galaxy by the writers. Especially the Volus.

drew karpashyn is a hack but he created a cool universe that the writers who took over after his departure did not understand at all. it's like jumping from 90s star trek to jj abrams star trek

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SlothfulCobra posted:

Those are the good aliens, goddamn scrubs.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

drew karpashyn is a hack

How so? What else has he done

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like 3 and Andromeda. I didn't pay $60 for them, but they were enjoyable if you keep your expectations low.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
As with so many things these days, games or films or whatnot, it feels like the visual design teams for big budget things really knock stuff out of the park consistently. There were some great aesthetics in Andromeda, and the gameplay was, well, fine. Just unfortunate that the narrative, characters and writing overall were just a bunch of turds.

Or maybe I'm just a stickler for good writing but easily impressed by shiny things, idk.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Who What Now posted:

I like 3 and Andromeda. I didn't pay $60 for them, but they were enjoyable if you keep your expectations low.

Andromeda is pretty and has fun controls. The story is a mess, but there are moments of real wonder as you explore. I feel like if it got its story completing DLC it would be remembered more fondly, sort of how Dragon Age: Inquisition is much improved by the real ending.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andromeda kicks off by promising you a plot and change in approach then during the setup to said plot fakes you out and returns to status quo. It was one of the goofiest things I've seen and knew immediately the game would be bad.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I played a little mass effect 2, I thought the mechanic where you get slightly drunk after drinking was funny but then my video avatar never passed out or anything, no matter how much he drank

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Barudak posted:

Andromeda kicks off by promising you a plot and change in approach then during the setup to said plot fakes you out and returns to status quo. It was one of the goofiest things I've seen and knew immediately the game would be bad.

Oh yeah, the beginning is obviously stitched together from two very different introductions to the story. Why do you even stop at Habitat 7 on your way to the Nexus? Where did all these extra people who staged a revolt and successfully colonized a few planets come from?

But also, who cares? Here's a Mako with decent controls. Now you can jump!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

FunkyAl posted:

I played a little mass effect 2, I thought the mechanic where you get slightly drunk after drinking was funny but then my video avatar never passed out or anything, no matter how much he drank

you're a cyborg

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

drew karpashyn is a hack but he created a cool universe that the writers who took over after his departure did not understand at all. it's like jumping from 90s star trek to jj abrams star trek

yeah Mass effect lost its writers like 3 times. No wonder nothing makes sense. Wasn't the original trilogy going to be about the Mass Effect relays causing stars to die? It was set up in 2 and then forgot about by the new writing team for 3 who then made it about 'Technology... actually bad?? OR IS IT?!' colour choice ending.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah Mass effect lost its writers like 3 times. No wonder nothing makes sense. Wasn't the original trilogy going to be about the Mass Effect relays causing stars to die? It was set up in 2 and then forgot about by the new writing team for 3 who then made it about 'Technology... actually bad?? OR IS IT?!' colour choice ending.

They didn't forget about it. The end got leaked and the lead writer got so mad that he rewrote the whole thing and told the team to use his first draft as the finished game.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What was the original ends (other than all bad)?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently use of Element Zero was prematurely destroying the universe, which was a problem since any spacefaring race would discover and eventually try to harness it. The Reapers built the Mass Relay network and did their 50,000 year kill cycle to try to limit the damage done while they tried to figure out a way to stop it.

It still had shades of "we need to kill organic life to save organic life", but rather than Kill/Control/Synthesis the endings might have been something like destroy the reapers/destroy the relays/ work with the reapers.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Apparently use of Element Zero was prematurely destroying the universe, which was a problem since any spacefaring race would discover and eventually try to harness it. The Reapers built the Mass Relay network and did their 50,000 year kill cycle to try to limit the damage done while they tried to figure out a way to stop it.

It still had shades of "we need to kill organic life to save organic life", but rather than Kill/Control/Synthesis the endings might have been something like destroy the reapers/destroy the relays/ work with the reapers.

so were the reapers like...everywhere in this version of the story? keeping one galaxy shut down is not going to help if the jerks two galaxies over are adding ludicrous amounts of additional gravity to the universe

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

so were the reapers like...everywhere in this version of the story? keeping one galaxy shut down is not going to help if the jerks two galaxies over are adding ludicrous amounts of additional gravity to the universe

What do you think the reapers are doing in the 50k year interval between milky way genocides?

At least, that was my head canon. Dunno if Andromeda goes against that theory

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ungulateman posted:

you're a cyborg

That's just silly.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Also, wouldn't being a cyborg make you drunker or more dangerous? presumably you have less blood and are technically operating heavy machinery at all times.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Robot Style posted:

Speaking for myself, the latter would be so much better than the former.

It would have saved the franchise for me.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Defiance Industries posted:

They didn't forget about it. The end got leaked and the lead writer got so mad that he rewrote the whole thing and told the team to use his first draft as the finished game.

idiot

Dark Energy never got past more than an outline and was discarded during production of Mass Effect 2 (possibly around the time Karpyshyn left to work on SW:TOR). the leaked beta of ME3 had the same ending as the final product, except the dialogue wasn't implemented in that version

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Theres an impulse to say the massive outrage over the ending to ME3 was overblown. I'm sympathetic. Our younger selves were more foolish, and gamer outrage is usually over really stupid stuff these days. To these people I just want to say:

The literal text of ME3's ending is that it's a universal truth organic and synthetic life are fundamentally incompatible and can never coexist peacefully. The "good" ending has god change all sentient life in the universe to some sort of new organic synthetic hybrid that makes people glow green with circuit board patterns. Interstellar travel is destroyed throwing the galaxy into a dark age. Your spaceship crash lands on an uncharted world, and Joker and his sexbot girlfriend walk off the ship into an unpopulated garden of eden.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The good ending was blowing all the reapers up.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I liked Jack in 2. Never played 3 but I assume they butchered her like the rest of the game.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The good ending was telling that stupid space kid and his garbage choices to gently caress off.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I always thought Control was the best ending for a Paragon Shepherd, since you commit the ultimate self-sacrifice of dissolving your intelligence into the Reapers so you can take them over and use them as a force for universal good. Much like Destroy was the obvious best ending for Renegade Shepherd, tossing away any higher ideals or concerns for future problems to resolve the immediate issue here and now no matter the price.

Who the gently caress would ever pick Synthesis? Its so dumb.

Also

Pops Mgee posted:

The good ending was telling that stupid space kid and his garbage choices to gently caress off.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i still can't help but feel like the ME3 ending is a ripoff of Deus Ex

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Archer666 posted:

I liked Jack in 2. Never played 3 but I assume they butchered her like the rest of the game.

Jack was actually pretty good, she got to be a teacher for biotic kids, although her outfit was still stupid as hell

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I forgot just how terrible Jack's default outfit was. Back when I was playing a ton of ME2 I figured out how to mod the game to set her DLC outfit as the default, which makes her a radical cyberpunk spacebiker.

Miranda's DLC look was also way cooler.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazy Fair posted:

I forgot just how terrible Jack's default outfit was. Back when I was playing a ton of ME2 I figured out how to mod the game to set her DLC outfit as the default, which makes her a radical cyberpunk spacebiker.

Miranda's DLC look was also way cooler.

One of the texture upscale mods for Mass Effect 2 on PC has options that lets you tweak certain characters' outfits and it has the decency to turn Jack's default look into a tank top

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Sanguinia posted:

I always thought Control was the best ending for a Paragon Shepherd, since you commit the ultimate self-sacrifice of dissolving your intelligence into the Reapers so you can take them over and use them as a force for universal good. Much like Destroy was the obvious best ending for Renegade Shepherd, tossing away any higher ideals or concerns for future problems to resolve the immediate issue here and now no matter the price.

Who the gently caress would ever pick Synthesis? Its so dumb.

Also

why would you ever pick control?

tim: we can control the reapers, shepard, it'd work!

catalyst: yeah, that guy? totally indoctrinated. but not you shepard, oh no, you could totally take control of us

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Horizon Burning posted:

why would you ever pick control?

tim: we can control the reapers, shepard, it'd work!

catalyst: yeah, that guy? totally indoctrinated. but not you shepard, oh no, you could totally take control of us

I'm the hero and Martin Sheen wasn't. Duh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

I'm the hero and Martin Sheen wasn't. Duh.

Yeah, Control works as an ending because you are Commander Motherfucking Shepard, that's why.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
organics and synthetics will inevitably conflict with each other.... Unless my army of omnipresent robotic space squid cops have anything to say about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The only way to really beat the Reapers in Mass Effect 3 is to not play the game. :dukedog: