Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kenny Logins posted:

after trump got elected, i eventually completely wrote off snl ever being a coherent or even non-malignant source of political satire. same for being a creative, energetic attempt at comedy (barring a few completely accidental successes)

now as i watch the vintage eps from the late 80s and 90s and early 00s, when i was younger and more of its target audience, it's really clear it's always been extra horrible and extremely lazy :smith:

this should not come as news to anyone of course

snl has always - ever since season 1 episode 1 - been trash punctuated by occasional, perhaps accidental, jewels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
KITH at their worst were a million times better than SNL

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Also true

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A guy I knew never shut up about The State but that didn't age very well imho, KITH and Mr Show are still fantastic.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Oi57fqdU0

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

KITH at their worst were a million times better than SNL

SNL makes hours of quality content every decade

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A guy I knew never shut up about The State but that didn't age very well imho, KITH and Mr Show are still fantastic.

agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoAGasPLh30

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also please watch Dave Foley's comic masterpiece The Wrong Guy, available on youtube in its entirety

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

also please watch Dave Foley's comic masterpiece The Wrong Guy, available on youtube in its entirety

seconding, that was an extremely enjoyable watch the last time you recommended it

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I liked Kids in the Hall and The Edge (What is Chewbacca doing RIGHT THIS MINUTE), but the latter is pretty much forgotten now.

UK comedy was better anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

axolotl farmer posted:

I liked Kids in the Hall and The Edge (What is Chewbacca doing RIGHT THIS MINUTE), but the latter is pretty much forgotten now.

UK comedy was better anyway.

except for that monty python stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a long forgotten decent sketch comedy show is alex winters' the idiot box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKkFctXIXK8&t=118s

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kenny Logins posted:

after trump got elected, i eventually completely wrote off snl ever being a coherent or even non-malignant source of political satire. same for being a creative, energetic attempt at comedy (barring a few completely accidental successes)

now as i watch the vintage eps from the late 80s and 90s and early 00s, when i was younger and more of its target audience, it's really clear it's always been extra horrible and extremely lazy :smith:

this should not come as news to anyone of course

like people always say snl is 99% noise but they occasionally drop a gem every now and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

100%

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

like people always say snl is 99% noise but they occasionally drop a gem every now and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk
for me it's Maine Justice

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

i will always laugh at Big Hat Ringo

my group of friends loved his movie caveman (one of the group had a vcr)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jonny 290 posted:

except for that monty python stuff

loved it as a kid, but it hasn’t aged well. The Young Ones, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

axolotl farmer posted:

The Young Ones, though.

yep

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kenny Logins posted:

for me it's Maine Justice

maine justice is good.

also the most evil invention competition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is what we had in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5IjOfyy1bY

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Prime Minister Spede

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

The Young Ones, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1e8zXGLqc

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

axolotl farmer posted:

it hasn’t aged well

new thread title

Apr 7, 2003

Your posting: It hasn't aged well

mystes
May 31, 2006

GOUTSE.CX: posting good anymore

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i like these ideas

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

new thread title

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Your posting: It hasn't aged well

my posting was never good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

snl has always - ever since season 1 episode 1 - been trash punctuated by occasional, perhaps accidental, jewels

it’s this, i assume. i can’t be bothered to watch it regularly for the accidental jewels

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

it’s this, i assume. i can’t be bothered to watch it regularly for the accidental jewels
anything even roughly good gets elevated and hyped like crazy, so it's ultimately better to have 2-3 filters before bothering with it now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kenny Logins posted:

anything even roughly good gets elevated and hyped like crazy, so it's ultimately better to have 2-3 filters before bothering with it now

p much yeah

Apr 7, 2003

more like lovely Night Live!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Surely Not Laughing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Seriously Not Lolful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sanctimonious Newyork Liberals

Apr 7, 2003

NPR is unlistenable because the human interest poo poo they run is 45 year old white people who think they're the most interesting people in the world talking about how interesting they are.

Anyway the SNL and NPR crowds probably overlap a bunch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the worst is that overproduced radiolab show. holy gently caress i despise it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
radiolab is what happens when a bunch of ivy league also-rans do a podcast and buy a morning zoo shock jock's soundboard on ebay, then load up all the sample slots with clips of themselves talking

Apr 7, 2003

There was one episode with some self-important wine-mom talking about how her similarly-aged friends were committing microaggressions against her and I wanted to rip my car stereo out and throw it in a dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

The radiolab sound board poo poo is 1994-era morning zoo shock jock poo poo lol